History of Saugerties, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
SAUGERTIES was formed from Kingston, April 5, 1811. An error in the boundary was corrected Jun 8, 1812, and a part of Kingston was annexed April 2, 1832. It lies upon the Hudson in the north-east corner of the County. The surface is rolling in the east, and hilly in the center and west. The hills upon the river and extending back for two miles are underlaid by limestone, from which quicklime and cement are manufactured. Further west are fine quarries of flagging stone. Plattekill flows through the town in a tortuous course, and empties into the Esopus near the south border of the town. Kaaterskill flows along the north border. The soil along the river is a clayey loam, and upon the uplands a sandy and gravelly loam. Stone quarrying is extensively carried on, and powder, brick, white lead, &c., are manufactured to considerable extent.
Saugerties, (p.v.) on the Hudson, at the mouth of Esopus Creek, was incorporated April 26, 1831, as “Ulster.” Its name was changed April 10, 1855. It contains seven churches, three banks, a newspaper office, several large manufactories and about 4,000 inhabitants. A line of steamers ply between this place, New York and Albany, and a steam ferry connects with the Hudson River Railroad at Tivoli. The village is provided with hotels and stores of various kinds.
The Ulster Iron Works manufacture bar and hoop iron, employ about 300 hands and have a capacity for manufacturing about 6,000 tons annually. The works, coverying about tow acres of ground, are owned by Messrs, Tuckerman, Mulligan & Co., and make none but the best quality of iron. The works were started about 1828.
The Sheffield Paper Mills, of I.B. Sheffield, manufacture writing paper. There are two buildings, 140 by 40 feet, and 120 by 40. The power is supplied by Esopus Creek, which has a fall of thirty-one feet. The capacity of the mills is two and a half tons daily, giving employment to about 130 hands. The first mills were erected by Henry Barclay in 1830. They were rebuilt in 1860 by Messrs. White & Sheffield, and again rebuilt in 1868-9 by the present proprietor.
S.J.Adams' Town Hall is 100 by 50 feet, will seat from 1,000 to 1,200 persons. It is elegantly finished and has sufficient avenues of egress to allow it to be cleared infive minutes. It cost $25,000.
Saugerties Circulating Library, recently established, is under the management of the Christian Association and in a prosperous condition.
Malden, (p.v.) on the Hudson, two miles above Saugerties, contains two churches, a boarding school, a hotel, three stores, a paper mill, two blacksmith shops, a coal, lumber and wood yard, two stone yards and about 700 inhabitants. Blue stone is shipped extensively from this place. A school house of brick, and costing $5,000, has recently been erected.
The Straw Paper Mill of Theodore Isham was built in 1867. The building is 28 by 86 feet; it is operated by a 40 horse-power engine, and has a capacity for making 4,800 reams of paper per month.
The Bigelow Blue Stone Co. employ about 200 hands and have seven planning machines in operation for dressing stone. The motive power is a 100 horse-power engine. A large number of vessels are employed in transporting the stone to New York and other places. This Company shipped over $1,000,000 worth in 1870.
Burhans & Brainard, J.P. Russell & Co. and Ransom & Co., are extensive dealers in blue stone, in the town of Saugerties.
Glasco (p.v.) about three miles south of Saugerties, on the Hudson, contains tow churches, vix., Methodist and Reformed; three stores, a hotel, nine brick yards, four blue stone companies, a lumber and coal yard, a blacksmith shop, a shoe shop and about 800 inhabitants. J.G. Smithbergh owns two brick yards, having a combined capacity for making 23,000,000 bricks annually. He gives employment to about 330 hands, about one-third of whom are married. We are not able to give the capacity of the others yards.
West Camp, (p.v.) upon the Hudson, about four miles north of Saugerties, contains a store, a stone yard, a summer boarding house for city visitors, and about twenty dwellings. Burhans & Brainard's business in blue stone at this point amounts to about $30,000 a year.
Quarryville, (p.v.) in the north part, contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Roman Catholic; a district school, two groceries, a dry goods store and about 350 inhabitants. The principal business is quarrying blue stone for different companies. The public school house was erected in 1870 and will seat about 250. About $600,000 worth of stone is shipped from this point annually.
West Saugerties contains about thirty houses.
Browersville is a hamlet of about a dozen dwellings.
Trumpbourville, or Asbury, on the north border, contains a Methodist church and about a dozen houses.
Glenerie is a small village in the south part, containing the Ulster White Lead Manufactory. About 40 men are employed, making about 1,500 tons annually.
The Laflin and Rand Powder Company's works are located in this town. They make about 24,000 kegs annually.
Caatsban is a hamlet containing a church, a school, a blacksmith shop, two wagon shops and a half a dozen houses.
The first settlements were made by the Dutch at an early date, but a colony of Palatinates located at West Camp in 1710. Stephen Myers and brothers settled at a place called “Churchland,” a short distance west of Saugerties village. Martin Snyder settled at the same place, and G.W. Dedrick at West