HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF ROSE.
The town of Rose was formed from the old town of Wolcott on the 5th of February, 1826, and embraces an area of
21,849 2/3 acres. It lies in the interior and east of the center of Wayne county, and is bounded on the north by
Huron, on the east by Butler, on the south by Galen, and on the west by Lyons and Sodus. The largest stream is
Thomas Creek, which rises southeast of Rose Valley and flows northwesterly through the village into Great Sodus
Bay. The next of importance is old Dusenbury Creek, locally known as Mudge Creek, rising in the same locality and
flowing northward through Huron into East Bay. Other streams are Marsh and Black Creeks, both flowing south.
The surface is largely broken into drift hills, trending north and south and intervened with beautiful valleys.
The highest elevation in town, lying near the Sherman farm, is 140 feet above Lake Ontario. South of Rose Valley
the land is very level. The soil consists of gravelly loam occasionally mingled with clay, with black muck in the
swamps. It is exceedingly fertile, and yields abundant crops of apples, grain, peppermint, onions, tobacco, raspberries,
potatoes, etc. The principal industry is agriculture. There are extensive ledges of limestone that have been worked
for burning and building purposes, and at Glenmark the outcropping produces a very pretty waterfall. The town was
originally covered with a heavy growth of beech, hemlock, maple, cedar, ash, and tamarack. Alfred S. Roe, in his
"Rose Neighborhood Sketches," relates an interesting legend "of a buttonwood or sycamore, near Wayne
Center, so large that a section of it was used as a dwelling house after it had fallen down and proven to be hollow.
In fact, one of the stories of the late Simeon I. Barrett was that of putting up at the Buttonwood tavern early
in the century. The late Hiram Church, of Wolcott, said that in 1808 three families, num bering fourteen persons,
young and old, put up at this same inn for the night and were well entertained. Osgood Church, his father, was
one of the guests. He also says this was on one of the Jeffers farms."
Clay is found in several places suitable for manufacturing brick and tile. Most of the marsh land has been reclaimed
by judicious ditching, and the contrast between the town of three-quarters of a century ago and the town of to-day
is an interesting one. The primitive wilderness, after years of arduous labor and continuous hardship, was converted
into productive fields, orchards, and gardens. The pioneers, with very few exceptions, have passed away, leaving
descendants and successors to enjoy the fruits of their efforts. Rude log cabins long since gave place to the comfortable
frame dwellings, and the frontier school and church have been succeeded by larger and better institutions. The
high moral standard of the earlier settlers permeates the communities of the present generation, which ably maintains
for their town the prestige and importance that have always characterized it among similar divisions of the State.
The whole of the town of Rose, save the south three tiers of lots, was originally included within Williamson's
patent, as described in the chapter devoted to Wolcott. This tract was surveyed into farm lots of from twenty-five
to 200 acres each. The three tiers above noted are known as Annin's gore, and were laid off into eighty acre lots.
Very early in the century Hon. Robert S. Roe and Judge John Nichols, natives of Virginia and brothers-in-law, purchased
4,000 acres of Williamson's patent, extending from the gore to within three-quarters of a mile of the Huron line
and lying on either side of the Rose Valley road. They were then residents of Geneva, and their purchase was called
the "Nicholas 4,000-acre tract." Mr. Nicholas was a congressman from Virginia, a member of the New York
State Senate, and judge of the Ontario county court. Mr. Rose was an assemblyman and a congressman, and when this
town was organized in 1826 it was decided to give it his name; in recognition of the compliment he sent a. "little
Merino lamb about the size of a woodchuck." The early settlers purchased their lands of Osgood Church, of
Wolcott, who was the resident subagent for the Williamson patent from 1808 to 1813, after which the business was
transacted with the land office at Geneva. The surveys and allotments were made by John Smith in 1805 and 1806.
Until 1873 communication was carried on by means of teams and stages, but in that year the Lake Ontario Shore Railroad
(now the R., W. & O.) was completed and opened through the north part of the town with a station at North Rose.
This added a new impetus to business interests and established more convenient markets for the farmers' produce.
In 1841 the famous Sodus Canal was commenced through the efforts of Gen. William H. Adams; it was to extend from
the Clyde River or Erie Canal via Rose Valley and near Glenmark to Sodus Bay. All the mills along its line in this
town were demolished and never rebuilt. After the renewal of the charter in 1848 a large amount of work was done
and evidences still remain. In 1853 a railroad was projected from a point south of Clyde through that village and
Rose Valley to Sodus Bay; a survey was made, but the clashing of interests caused an abandonment of the enterprise.
In 1872 the measure was revived, but without avail. Eron N. Thomas was treasurer of the company and Mr. Thomas,
Channcey B. Collins, and Henry Graham were among the directors.
The first regular roads were surveyed from May 10, 1810, to April 1, 1814, by Osgood Church. The first highway
laid out was that leading east from Stewart's Corners; the second was that from Rose Vafley to Clyde, surveyed
June 29, 1810. The road from the Valley to Port Glasgow was established March 20, 1811, and the one from Glenmark
to. North Rose on April 1, 1814. The thoroughfare from Rose Valley to Clyde was long a plank road maintained by
a company incorporated for the purpose; as such it was discontinued soon after 1877. In 1847 the town had forty-four
road districts; at present the number is fiftyone.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Charles Thomas in Rose Valley, in April, 1826. Erasmus Fuller presided
and the following officers were chosen: Supervisor, Peter Valentine; town clerk, David Smith; assessors, James
Colborn, Jeremiah Leland, Dorman Munsell; collector, Thaddeus Collins, jr.; overseers of the poor, John Skidmore
and Aaron Shepard; commissioners of highways, Elizur Flint, Robert Jeffers, William Lovejoy; commissioners of common
schools, Jacob Miller, James Colborn, Milburn Salisbury; inspectors of common schools, Aipheus Collins, Peter Valentine,
David Smith; constables, Thaddeus Collins, jr., Lewis Leland; and twenty-two overseers of highways. The supervisors
have been as follows:
Peter Valentine, 1826-29,
Harvey Closs, 1857-58,
Philander Mitchell, 1830-32,
Jackson Valentine, 1859-69,
Dorman Munsell, 1833,
James M. Horne, 1870-71,
Thaddeus Collins, sr., 1834,......
Charles S. Wright, 1872-73,
Ira Mirick, 1835,
Jackson Valentine, 1874-75,
Peter Valentine, 1886-39,
Joel S. Sheffield, 1876,
Dorman Munsell, 1840-41,
William J. Glen, 1877,
Peter Valentine, 1842,
S. Wesley Gage, 1878,
Eron N. Thomas, 1843,
William J. Glen, 1879, (part)
Philander Mitchell, 1844-45,
George Catchpole, remainder of
Elizar Flint, 1846,
Hiram Mirick, 1847,
William H. Griswold, 1880-81,
Philander Mitchell, 1848-50,
George Catchpole, 1882-84,
Eron N. Thomas, 1851,
Samuel Gardner, 1885, (part)
Solomon Alien, 1852,
E. Chester Ellinwood, remainder
Eron N. Thomas, 1853,
.... of 1885 and 1886,
Thaddeus Collins, jr., 1854,
George Catchpole, 1887-90,
Jackson Valentine, 1855,
Merritt G. McKoon, 1891-93,
Philander Mitchell, 1856,
Frank H. Closs, 1894.
The town officers for 1894 are: Frank H. Closs, supervisor; Joel S. Sheffield town clerk, died July 30, 1894, and
E. F. Houghton appointed; T. B. Welch, S. W.. Lake, R. C. Barless, F. E. Soper, justices of the peace; Valorus
Ellinwood, F. E. Henderson, Joel H. Putnam, assessors;. Seth C. Woodard, collector; Thomas J. Bradburn, highway
commissioner; Judson Chaddock and John A. Hetty, overseers of the poor.
March 3, 1885, an appropriation to not exceed $2,000 was voted for the erection of a memorial town hail, which
was built in Rose Valley in 1886. It is a frame structure, two stories high, and contains also the rooms of the
local G. A. R. Post.
The first settlements in Rose were made by Aipheus Harmon, Lott Stewart, and Caleb Melvin in 1805. The latter was
a brother of the Jonathan Melvin, Sr., so intimately identified with the beginnings of Wolcott. In Osgood Church's
old book of records relative to the sale of lands on Williamson's patent are entries of 117 contracts, bearing
dates from June 16, 1808, to October 15, 1813, of which the following come within the limits of this town:
Alpheus Harmon lot 169, 113 acres, and lot 170, 115 acres, at $3.50, June 21, 1808; Pender Marsh, lot 205, 50 acres,
at $4, January 11, 1811; Epaphras Wolcott, lot 160, 101 acres, at $4, January 30, 1811; Seth Shepard, lot 197,
40 acres, at $4, April 1, 1811; Daniel Lounsbury, lot ---, 206½ acres at $4, April 3, 1811 ; Jonathan Wilson,
lot 140, 50 acres, at $4, April 3, 1811; John Wade, lot 185, 107 acres, at $4, April 16, 1811; Asa and Silas Town,
lots 212 and 213, 150 acres, at $4, November 11, 1811; John Burns, lot 153, 108k acres, at $4.25, April 8, 1812;
Abram Palmer, lot 140, 102 acres, at $4, April 22, 1812; Thomas Avery, lot 154, 103 acres, at $4.25, May 4, 1812;
Demarkus Holmes, lot 187, 101 acres, at $4.32, June 25, 1812; Noahdiah Gillett, lot 132, 101 acres, at $4, October
2, 1812; Eli Wheeler, lot 188, 99½ acres, at $4, November 13, 1812; Jacob Ward, lot 140, 50 acres, at $4.25,
November 14, 1812; Elijah How, lot 167, 50 acres, at $4, November 18, 1812; Jonathan Wilson, lot 161, 31 acres,
at $4.25, December 29, 1812; Asahel Gillett, lot 155, 50 acres, at $4.25, March 10, 1813.
Caleb Melvin located about a mile south of Rose Valley in 1805; the same year Alpheus Harmon settled in the northeast
part of the town, and Lott Stewart at Stewart's Corners, which took his name. Stewart kept a tavern here, the first
outside the village; it stood where is now the home of George Stewart. Mr. Stewart married for his second wife
a daughter of Alpheus Harmon, by whom he had one son (Allen) and five daughters; his first wife bore him a son
(James) and two daughters. Mr. Harmon sold out to A. F. Baird and removed to Cattaraugus county, whither also Stewart
went and died. Soon afterward came Joel Bishop and his sons, Seth, Joel, jr., and Chauncey; they located on the
Port Glasgow road. Near them Oliver and Seth Whitmore and Simeon Van Auken became residents, and among others of
about this period were James and Jeremiah Leland, Milburn Salisbury,. and Asahel, Hsea, and Harvey Gillett.
About 1810 Aipheus and Thaddeus Collins, jr., came in and two years later were joined by their father, Thaddeus,
Sr., and the remainder of his family. They purchased 400 acres, including a part of the village of Rose Valley.
Capt. John Sherman located at the Valley in 1811 and built and opened an inn. He had originally settled on the
Ganargwa Creek, but soon removed to Galen, whence he came here, being accompanied by his sons, Elias D., Charles
B., and John, jr. In 1812 Elijah How located two miles northwest of Rose Valley and Aaron Shepard, a blacksmith,
the same distance east. Alfred, Lyman, Joel, and John Lee, brothers, settled in town about this year.
Robert Jeffers made the first settlement in the west part of Rose in 1815; he was accompanied by three sons, John,
William, and Nathan, and for many years the place was called the Jeffers neighborhood. Jacob Clapper settled near
them. Capt. Chauncey Bishop located on a farm in this town in 1812 where he died in August, 1880. Holloway Drury
came from Eden, Vt., in 1815. George Seeley, son of Joseph, was born in Sherburne, N. Y., in 1806 and died here
in December, 1885. Re was a colonel in the State militia, held several town offices, and was a deacon in the Baptist
Church. Henry Graham was a noteworthy figure in town in years gone by. Born in 1802, he came to Port Glasgow in
1831 and kept the hotel later owned by Isaac Gillett. He removed to Rose, but finally went to Clyde, where he died
in October, 1878.
Palmer Lovejoy located in the northeast corner of the town at an early day and gave to the place where he purchased
the name of Lovejoy settlement. He had sons William C., Silas and Daniel. Among other early settlers were Dorman
Munsell, Alverson Wade, Paine and William Phillips, Julius Baker, Benjamin Way (father of Samuel and Harley), Robert
Andrews, John Basssett, John Burns, Samuel Southwick, Jonathan Ellinwood (father of Lucius and. Chester), John
Wade, Philander Mitchell, Joseph Seeley (father of George and Delos), Isaac Crydenwise., Eli Andrews, and John
Covey. Philander Mitchell was a very prominent man; in 1827 he was elected a justice of the peace along with Elizur
Flint, Dorman Munsell, and Charles Richards, and held the office over thirty years. He was county superintendent
of the poor in 1861-63. Elizur Flint was president of the first temperanceĽ society organized in town in 1829.
Hon. Eron N. Thomas was postmaster at Rose Valley several years, supervisor three times, and member of Assembly
in 1862. He was a prominent man and the owner of a stock farm near the village. Eli Garlick, a settler of 1815,
died January 7, 1892, aged ninety-two. Elizur Flint came here in 1817 and died in February, 1884. Simeon I. Barrett
was born in 1798 and died in town in November, 1887, after a residence of over sixty years. Samuel Gardner, born
in 1820, settled early in Huron, where he was supervisor some time, and moving to Rose held the same office at
the date of his death in May, 1885.
Prominent among other early settlers are recalled the names of James Colborn, Dr. Peter Valentine (the first and
for several years supervisor), Dr. Richard S. Valentine (the doctor's son), John Closs (the father of George, Harvey,
Lorenzo, and Caleb H.), Elizur Flint, Charles Thomas (the father of Eron N., Nathan W., and Lorenzo C., all from
Pompey, N. Y.), Solomon Allen, Solomon Mirick (father of Ira, George, Hiram, and Thomas), Orin Lackey, William
Watkins, Amos Covey, Robert Mason (father of Harvey), William Chaddock, Dudley Wade (father of Ensign D.), Alonzo,
William, jr., and Winfield Chaddock (sons of William, sr.), Peter and Edward Aldrich, David Smith, Uriah Wade,
John Skidmore, Gideon Henderson, John Barnes, Charles Richards, Samuel Hunn, Jacob Miller, Mr. Burnham, Abel Lyon,
Asa Cook (in Rose Valley), Betts Chatterson, Charles G. Oaks (who died in 1883), Thomas Cullen, and Joel N. Lee
(who died in October, 1880).
John J. Dickson, M. D., born in 1807, was for forty-five years a physician in Rose and for twenty years was
a 5ustice of the peace. In. 1845 he was elected to the Legislature, and became a charter member of Rose Lodge,
No. 590, F. and A. M., settling here in 1829, he died February 15, 1874; the funerals of himself and his first
wife were conducted by the Masonic fraternity. Joel S. Sheffield located in this town in 1854. He was supervisor
and town clerk, holding the latter office at the time of his death July 30, 1894.
Isaac Lamb was a very early settler. He was enterprising and popular and in 1823 he built a saw mill which ceased
operations after a period of sixty years. About 1838 he erected a grist mill, one of the
stones of which is now used by Myron Lamb at North Rose as a horse block. Further up the stream Ansel Gardner once
built a carding mill,, but it was never utilized.
The first log house and the first frame dwelling were built by Caleb Melvin. Thaddeus Collins, Sr., is said to
have set out the pioneer orchard at the Valley as early as 1813. The first birth was that of Milburn Salisbury
and the first death was that of a child of Harvey Gillett, both in 1812. Hosea Gillett and Hannah Burnham were
married in January, 1813, which was the first wedding in town.
A Dr. Delano was the pioneer physician, about 1813, but he remained less than a year. The first settled physician
in Rose was Dr. Peter Valentine, and subsequent corners were Drs. Henry Van Ostrand, Beden, Richard S. Valentine,
and R. C. Barless.
The first grist mill was erected at Glenmark Falls by Simeon Van Auken and Seth Whitmore in 1812; in 1813 a saw
mill was built. These mills were afterward rebuilt by Hiram and Ira Mirick, and among the various owners were J.
Brown, William Chaddock, and Henry Garlick. About a mile above these Elijah How put up the pioneer saw mill in
1811; another was built a little below by Samuel Hunn, and Alfred Lee also erected one near the Valley. Other saw
mills on Thomas Creek were put up by TJriah Wade, Simeon I. Barrett, and Hunn & Chatterson. All were demolished
when the Sodus Canal was commenced, and the creek was widened and deepened for nearly three miles to form a portion
of that great ditch. In excavating for the canal drift wood and animals' bones were discovered ten feet below the
Willis G. Wade built at Rose Valley the first steam saw mill in 1848, which he sold to Eron N. Thomas; it was burned
in 1873 and rebuilt. The second was erected in the west part of the town by Isaac Woodruff; in 1859 its boiler
blew up and killed a sawyer named Grinnell. Conrad Young built the third steam saw mill at Wayne Center.
The first steam grist mill was erected in 1866 by William A. Mix. Chaddock & Garlick built one at Rose Valley
in 1873. In 1821 Simeon Van Auken built a clothiery on Thomas Creek. His successor, John Van Anken, added wool
carding machines, and the establishment finally passed to Horace Converse, who discontinued it about 1850.
The only distillery ever operated in this town was built by Charles Richards at Rose Valley about 1818; it ceased
work after a year's existence. The first and only tannery was erected by William Watkins and Charles Thomas about
1826; the building was subsequently used as a storehouse by Robert N. Jeffers.
Among other early settlers and substantial citizens of the town may be mentioned William and Jairus McKoon, Ainaziah
Carrier, John Kellogg, John Q. Deady, Ira Lake, Henry Robinson (the father of exState Senator Thomas Robinson,
of Clyde, and John W. Robinson, of Newark), Samuel Lyman (who raised the first frame building in Rose without the
use of liquor), Asa and Silas Town, William Dickinson, Addison and James Weeks, Franklin Finch, Riley Winchell,
John Barnes, William Hickox, Thomas Craft (brother of Benjamin and Abram) Oliver Colvin, Josephus Collins, Jackson
Valentine, John Collier, Pender Marsh, Charles S. Wright, Austin Roe (a brother of Daniel and the father of Daniel
J., John B., and Rev. Austin Roe and Mrs. Sheldon R. Overton), Daniel Brewster and Egbert Soper (brothers), John
Halloway, Moses Wisner, Jonathan Briggs, the Vandercocks, the Vanderoefs, W. J. Glen, and many others noted a little
further on or more at length in Part II of this volume.
In 1835 the town had one grist mill, seven saw mills, a fulling works, a carding mill, one foundry, an ashery,
a distillery, one tannery, and 1,715 inhabitants. In 1845 there were two taverns, two stores, five clergymen, three
physicians, sixty-three mechanics, 330 farmers, and 2,031 inhabitants. In 1858 there were 13,272 acres improved
land; real estate assessed at $527,597; personal property, $35,911; 1,084 male and 1,030 female inhabitants; 395
dwellings, 419 families, and 329 freeholders; 12 school districts and 791 children; 754 horses, 1,286 oxen and
calves, 871 cows, 3,727 sheep, and 1,241 swine; productions: 9,778 bushels winter and 94,200 bushels spring wheat,
1,725 tons hay, 13,246 bushels potatoes, 28,535 bushels apples, 66,330 pounds butter, 7,075 pounds cheese, and
845 yards domestic cloths.
In 1890 the population was 2,107, or 137 less than in 1880. In 1893 the assessed valuation of land aggregated $716,450
(equalized $771,654); village and mill property, $109,595 (equalized $103,308); railroads and telegraphs, $91,590;
personal property, $51,250. Schedule of taxes 1893: Contingent fund, $1,407.08; town poor fund, $520; roads and
bridges, $1,205; school tax, $931.19; county tax, $2,227.98; State tax, $1,227.74; State insane tax, $31673; dog
tax, $40.50. Total tax levy, $8,621.33; rate per cent., .00889819. The town has two election districts, and in
1893 pofled 302 votes.
The first regular school was taught by Sally Bishop in 1813; she used for a school house an old vacant log dwelling
about a mile and a half north of Rose Valley, and was succeeded by Maria Viele, and she by Rev. David Smith; following
them came Abigail Bunce, Catharine Robinson, William H. Lyon, Gibson P. Center, John S. Roe, George W. Ellinwood,
George Seeley, George Paddock, Jackson Valentine, Wallace St. John, and Isaac and John W. Robinsoa The first school
house in Rose Valley was a log building on the site of Pimm's Hotel, and in it Rev. David Smith taught the opening
term. This primitive school building was superseded by a frame structure in 1824 on a site donated for the purpose
by Thaddeus Collins. This in turn was replaced in 1846 by a stone school house, which was abandoned in 1861 and
the unused Presbyterian church purchased. In 1867 the present building was completed and opened, the total cost
being $4,000. The district including North Rose was organized June 27, 1821. A school house had doubtless been
erected prior to that date. In 1827-8 it was replaced by a new one, of frame. The present fine graded school building
was built a few years since. School District No. 2, known as Stewart's, was the first one organized in town, and
here Alvin Clark was a very early teacher. The original school house in District No. 7, after the stone building
was erected, was converted into a dwelling and occupied by Jacob Tipple, a shoemaker, who died in 1853, and whose
wife lived to be over 100 years old, dying July 7, 1888. The stone school house, built in 1840, and in which Arvine
Peck was the first teacher, was succeeded by the present building about 1876.
In 1826 Rose was divided into nine school districts. The town now has twelve school districts, each having a school
house, which in 1892-3 employed fifteen teachers and were attended by 504 scholars. The buildings and sites were
valued at $10,690 and the districts are assessed at $981,340; public money received from the State, $1,868.08;
raised by local tax, $2,427.50.
The first burial place in the town was that in the Stewart neighborhood. In a similar plat in the north part of
Rose Valley many of the earlier interments were made, but encroachments of the village caused it to be abandoned,
and the bodies were removed to a new cemetery one mile north. The first burials in the Ellinwood burying ground
were those of Samuel Ellis Ellinwood and wife.
During the War of the Rebellion the town of Rose contributed a large number of her brave sons. to fight the nation's
battles. Each and every one did valiant service at the front, and were distinguished by heroism and fidelity. To
their memory the grateful citizens have erected a town hail, in which the John E. Sherman Post, No. 401 G. A. R.,
has a permanent home. This post was organized September 28, 1883, with eighteen members.
Some fifty-five years ago a peculiar event transpired in Rose in the Stewart neighborhood, the central scene being
the present farm of Silas Lovejoy. The occurrence is best told, as follows, from a former publication.
A number of people in this part of the county worked themselves into the delusion that "money chests"
of gold and precious stones lay buried beneath the surface in this town, to which they were guided by invisible
spirits through a "medium." On several farms northeast of Rose Valley they assembled at night and silently
dug for the treasure. A single word spoken before it was found was fatal; the treasure would disappear and the
evil spirits would rise against them. In this way the delusion was fed and kept ablaze by those interested, who
were always sure to break the silence, when the deluded would run frightened away. On one occasion a kettle was
previously buried, and when struck with a spade an exclamation caused the treasure in it to vanish. To these ignorant
men this supplied the most absolute proof, and the effects of this foolish delusion are still visible in many places
by partially filled excavations, where they labored with a zeal and energy worthy a better cause.
The interpreter of the "money diggers," as they were called, pretended to see the "money chests,"
or hidden treasure, through a large, peculiar stone, which he always retained with him. He held it to his eyes,
and claimed the power to see through it into the earth. Several visionary citizens of this town, with more strangers
who came here regularly, united in their mystic meetings previous to all their diggings. As an inducement to persons
predisposed to the marvelous, it was related that the son of a certain minister, then living in town, who was eighteen
years of age and of good habits, saw, one evening, in his father's granary, which was lighted up by supernatural
light, an image in the form of a "little child." Then again it appeared in his bed-chamber, and, when
addressed by the young man, replied that it was from the "Court of Glory," and had come to reveal to
him the hidden treasures of the earth, and that if he would pray for the span of seven days it would appear the
next time in the form of a "beautiful young lady." In due time the "beautiful young lady" appeared
and made the promised revelation, the circle was formed, one of the number was made captain, and the digging commenced.
Night after night was passed in hard labor under the particular direction of this invisible spirit. Circles were
carefully marked out around the pit to keep the devil out. The money, or a portion of it, was to be used for charitable
purposes, and to alleviate the sufferings of humanity. But after many fruitless attempts and much disappointment
the captain, becoming incredulous, and losing confidence in the invisible guide, through the interpreter, denounced
the "beautiful spirit" as being the devil. Of course this rebellious action could not be tolerated, and
must be put down. Accordingly, the captain was notified in writing to appear on a certain day to a trial before
the spirits and the circle. On the back of the notice he wrote "protested," but named a day one week
later, when the circle convened and the trial began. Innumerable spirits were seen by the minister and his son,
and from ten A. M. to four p. M. the patriarchs of old were called as witnesses, and everything was going against
the captain. The last witness was the spirit of Samuel, the prophet. The captain with all his power conjured Samuel
to tell the truth and reveal the devil's work. He was just ready to give up his case when, to his astonishment,
and the dismay of the circle, the prophet began performing under his own control. The preacher and his son burst
into tears to see poor old Samuel hopping about the room on one foot, then down on the floor, playing bear with
a great load on. his back. The captain, having absolute control of the spirit, conjured him to faithfully answer
such questions as he should put to him. "Can you at pleasure transform yourself into a 'devil,' 'lamb,' or
'young lady?'" Answer, "I can." "Have you been the only witness here to-day in the form of
all the old patriarchs?" Answer, "I have." "Are you the devil himself?" Answer, "I
am." The captain was triumphant. The deluded parson, son, and all the circle were ready to give up that it
was all the work of the devil. Yet to such an extent did the captain believe in the power of the devil that he
related, as a real occurence, that a friend of his, while riding, was seized and taken up by the devil, carried
through the air seven miles, and, after a terrible struggle and fright, was released and dropped in a barnyard.
The captain was sent for, who, with the aid of a physician, restored him. It is stated that many a time while the
others were in the pit digging for their "gold" and "money chests" the devil would appear to
the sentry on the watch in the form of a bellowing bull or by heavy sounds of groaning, or shrieks, which would
put the whole party to flight.
ROSE VALLEY. -This village is located a little southeast from the center of the town at the intersection
of the roads leading to Wolcott, North Rose, and Clyde, and maintains a daily stage communication with these points.
The post-office was established in 1827 as Valentine's with Dr. Peter Valentine as postmaster. The name was subsequently
changed to Albion, then to Rose Valley, and in 1834 to Rose, and as such it has ever since remained. June 17, 1829,
Charles Thomas became postmaster and kept the office in his tavern; he was succeeded by his sons, Nathan W. and
Eron N. Thomas, the latter serving from 1832 to 1841, from 1845 to 1849, and from 1853 to 1861. Other postmasters
have been Hiram Salisbury, Benjamin Hendricks, Charles S. Wright, Jackson Valentine, Daniel B. Harmon, George W.
Ellinwood (from 1869 to 1885), Joel S. Sheffield, E. F. Houghton, and George A. Collier, the present incumbent.
The first mail carrier was Timothy Smith.
The village was first settled by Capt. John Sherman and the Collins family in 1811. The former located opposite
the lower hotel, where he built in 1815 a double log house, half of which he opened as a tavern. This was the first
public house in the town, and finally passed in turn to Charles W. Thomas, Nathan W. Thomas, John J. Dickson, Ira
Mirick, and others. The present lower hotel was erected by Lorenzo C. Thomas. The upper tavern, long known as Pimm's
Hotel, was built on the site of the first village school house, by Ira Mirick, the first proprietor, who was succeeded
by Hiram Mirick. Their father, Solomon Mirick, died here in 1839. Ezra T. Pimm, the longest time landlord, was
elected president of the Wayne County Veterans' Assotion in 1889. The first blacksmith was John Barrett, who built
a shop on the site of the Vanderoef residence about 1813. The first shoe shop was opened by Robert Andrews. The
first store in the place was started in 1831 by John Barber, jr., who moved to Clyde one year later. His successor
was a former clerk, Eron N. Thomas, who continued business until 1859. Other merchants have been Dr. Peter Valentine,
C. B. Collins, I. & H. Mirick, Charles S. Wright, Jackson Valentine, George A. Collier, George W. Ellinwood,
Joel S. Sheffield, and Charles Wright.
The first physician was Dr. Peter Valentine, who was also the first supervisor. He settled here in 1819, and among
his professional followers have been Drs. John J. Dickson, Henry Van Ostrand, A. F. Sheldon, George D. Whedon,
James M. Horn, Lewis Koon, Richard S. Valentine, and Romaine C. Barless.
The carriage and wagon shop of M. T. Collier was started by Collins & Lakey, who sold to William H. Thomas.
He conducted it until 1861, when it came into the possession of the firm of Thomas & Collier (M. T. Collier),
by whom it was continued till the death of Mr. Thomas. Since then Mr. Collier has been sole proprietor. The grist
mill of William A. Mix was burned in July, 1872, and was rebuilt as a saw and cider mill.
In 1857 the Rose brass band was organized with twelve pieces, the successive leaders being Z. Deuler, E. B. Wells,
and D. B. Harmon. It then went into the army and remained in the service as a band until the war closed, when it
disbanded. In 1868 it was reorganized and continued many years. It finally went down, and the present Rose Cadet
Band was formed.
Rose Valley now contains four general stores, a hardware store, one newspaper and two printing offices, three blacksmith
shops, a carriage and wagon shdp, a saw and cider mill, two hotels, a meat market, four churches, a public school,
a town hail, three physicians, and about 500 inhabitants.
NORTH ROSE is a station and post-village on the R. W. & 0. Railroad in the north part of the town. It
owes its growth and present proportions mainly to the railway, which gave' it a new impetus and awakened' numerous
business interests. It was originally known as Lamb's Corners from the family of that name who settled the site
at an early day. The post-office was established about 1860 with David Lyman as postmaster; the present incumbent
is Thomas B. Welch. Soon after the completion of the railroad John York erected a large malt and store house, which
was burned with two stores, in May, 1891, entailing a loss of over $60,000. It has never been rebuilt. While drilling
an artesian well on the premises a pocket of natural gas was struck. In October, 1880, a cooper shop,, house, barn,
and other property were 'destroyed by fire, causing a loss of $3,000. The village now consists of three general
stores, one hardware and one drug store, an hotel, a lumber and coal yard, etc., a fine graded school, one church,
and about 250 inhabitants.
WAYNE CENTER, so named from its close proximity to the geographical center of Wayne county, is a postal
hamlet in the extreme west part of Rose; the post-office was established in 1863 with Joel H. Tutnam as postmaster.
The present incumbent is J. W. Trimble. It lies on the same meridian as Washington, D. C. The place contains a
store, barrel factory'and saw mill, a bladksmith shop, and a small cluster of houses.
GLENMARK, or Glenmark Falls, is a hamlet and mill site on Thomas Creek about two miles west of North Rose.
It is named from the beautiful scenery, and in days gone by was an important milling point, the stream affording
excellent water power. It contains some abandoned mills, a shop or two, and the store of Albert Ellis.
CHURCHES.-The Baptist Church of Rose was organized at Rose, Valley as the Second Baptist Church of Wolcott
on January 3, 1820, with these members: Hosea Gillett, John Skidmore, Peter Lamb, Joel and Chauncey Bishop, Phebe
Bishop, Clara Burns, Hannah Miner, Sally Skidmore, Rachel and Martha Bishop, Lydia Fuller, Simantha Leland, Hannah
Gillett, and Nancy Ticknor. The first meetings were held at the house of Joel Bishop, where was also convened the
council on May 3, to extend the hand of recognition. Chauncey Bishop was the first clerk and served until July,
1855, when George Seeley was elected and held until September, 1881 being succeeded by Lucien H. Osgood. In 1834
the church joined the Wayne Baptist Association, of which it has ever since been a member. The first pastor was
Rev. David Smith, who was installed January 8, 1821; the present pastor is Rev. Maxwell H. Cusick since 1891. Their
first church edifice was built in 1836, the building committee being Chauncey Bishop, Ira Mirick and Dr. Peter
Valentine. The site was purchased in Rose Valley of Hiram Mirick. The building was remodeled in 1861 and again
in 1885-86, the expense of the last renovation being $4,400. The society has about 125 members and owns a frame
parsonage. The church was incorporated March 17, 1834, with - the following trustees: David Holmes, Chauncey Bishop,
Ira Mirick, Dr. Peter Valentine and Joseph Seeley.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Rose Valley was organized September 21, 1827. Circuit preaching and class
meetings had been held for many years. The first permanent Methodist preacher in the town was doubtless Alfred
Lee, who came at an early date from Vermont. Caleb Mills held religious services in a log school house in the Valley
as early as 1819. The first class was formed in 1824 with Mr. Lee as leader, and the first members were Charles
'and Polly Thomas, William Watkins, Zemira Slaughter, and Abigail Bunce. The society was legally organized August
27, 1832, with these trustees: Abel Lyon, Jacob Miller, Samuel E. and Chester Ellinwood, George W. Mirick, Robert
Andrewa Thaddeus Collins, Isaac Lamb, and Moses F. Collins. Eron N. Thomas was clerk, and the certificate of incorporation
was filed September 13, 1833. February 26, 1836, the church was reorganized with three trustees instead of nine,
viz.: Ellis Ellinwood, Joel N. Lee, and George W. Mirick. Thaddeus and Chauncey Collins donated the site and a
cobblestone church was erected in 1835-6 on the site of Mrs. Augusta Allen's house. It cost $1,200, had a high
box pulpit and galleries on three sides, and was burned April 18, 1859. In 1860-61 the present edifice was erected
at a cost of nearly $7,000; it was dedicated March 3, 1864. It was repaired at a cost of $1,000 and reopened August
27, 1889. The present pastor is Rev. W. H. Rogers;. The society owns a parsonage and has about 100 members.
The First Presbyterian church of Rose Valley was organized at the .Closs school house February 17, 1825, by Revs.
Francis Pomeroy and Benjamin Stockton, with these members: John and Eunace Wade, Aaron and Polly Shepard, Simeon
and Lydia Van Auken, Rufus Wells, and Moses Hickok. Aaron Shepard was chosen deacon and John Wade and Moses Hickok
elders. In 1833 their first house of worship was erected and dedicated at the Valley on a site purchased of Hiram
Mirick a little east of the Baptist church; about 1862 it was sold to the village for a school house, finally became
a mill, and was burned many years since. Another site was bought of William Vanderoef and upon it was built the
present handsome brick structure at a cost of about $8,000. It was 'dedicated in 1865. January 5, 1846, the society
adopted the Congregational form of government, but on April 18, 1851, it was received back into the Presbytery.
The first clerk was James Van Auken, then Smithfield Beaden, and Elizur Flint from November, 1834, to October,
1882. The society owns a parsonage and has about sixty-five members. The present pastor is Rev. N. B. Knapp.
The Free Methodist church of Rose Valley was organized as early as 1861, when the charge was supplied by Revs.
Mr. Burton and J. W. Stacey. In 1862 Rev. William Cooley became pastor, and during his stay their house of worship
was erected on the site formerly occupied by the house of Nathan W. Thomas. It is a frame edifice and was dedicated
January 8, 1863. The society owns a frame parsonage and has about fifty members. The pastor is Rev. D. C. Stanton,
who also has charge of the Free Methodist church in Clyde.
The Methodist Episcopal church of North Rose was organized a few years since as a mission of the M. E. church of
Rose Valley. A neat frame edifice was built in 1884 at a cost of about $2,400. The pastOr is Rev. W. H. Rogers.
A band of worshipers who called themselves "The Neversweats" sprang into existence in the Jeffers settlement
a number of years ago. "They met in the Spink school house and talked in unknown tongues." They made
several conversions and evoked considerable interest, but discarded all organization, creed, or ceremony. Without
these they soon dropped away as quietly as they had come into notice.