QUEENSBURY was incorporated by patent as a township, May 20, 1762, and embraced 2,300 acres. It was reorganized
as a town March 13, 1786. Luzerne was taken off in 1792, and a part of Caldwell in 1810. A strip of territory one
mile wide was taken from Luzerne and added to this town in 1802. It lies between Lake George and the Hudson River,
in the southeast corner of Warren Co. The west part is occupied by the Luzerne Mountains, and the extreme north
part by French Mountain, a high, rocky bluff, which rises precipitously from the surface of Lake George to the
hight of 2,500 or 3,000 feet above tide. The central and south parts are rolling, gradually declining towards the
south. The soil is a light sandy loam in the interior, and a deep tough clay upon the river. The fall upon the
Hudson at Glens Falls is about fifty feet, and affords valuable mill privileges. Below the fall is a small island,
through which is a cave extending from one channel to the other. The manufacture of lumber is extensively carried
on. An immense number of logs is floated down from the pine forests above, to Glens Falls, Sandy Hill and Fort
Glens Falls, (p. v.) incorporated April 12,1839, is situated in the south part of the town, on the Hudson
River. The Indian name is said to have been Kay-au-do-ros-sa. It contains nine churches, an academy, a female seminary,
two banks, two newspaper offices, a large number of hotels and stores, a grist and flouring mill, several saw mills,
sash and blind factories, &c., a furnace and machine shop, several other manufactories of various kinds, and
about 5,000 inhabitants. The Glens Falls and Fort Edward R. R. terminates at this place. Stages leave for Lake
George on the arrival of the trains, and during the summer large numbers of pleasure seekers pass over this route.
The village contains many fine residences and considerable wealth. A disastrous fire, a few years ago, destroyed
many public and private buildings, most of which have since been rebuilt, though the marks of the fire are still
seen in a few places. Two weekly newspapers are published in the village.
THE GLENS FALLS REPUBLICAN was started in 1842 by M. & T. J. Strong, who continued its publication until 1851.
After passing through several different hands it was was purchased by H. H. Harris, the present publisher.
THE GLENS FALLS MESSENGER was started by A. D. Milne in 1855. It was subsequently published by Arnold & Cole.
In 1862 Mr. Arnold sold out his interest and the paper has since been published by Norman Cole.
The Glens Falls Insurance Co., with a capital of $200,000, is located at this place.
A Soldier's Monument, of Dorchester freestone, has been erected by the town. It is ten feet square at the base
and forty six feet high, surmounted by the figure of an Eagle caned in stone. Upon one side of the monument is
the figure of an officer, and upon the other that of a private soldier, both life size. Engraved upon the sides
are the names of those who fell in battle or died from wounds and disease while in the service. The rough block
of stone from which the eagle was cut contained seventy five cubic feet and weighed more than 11,800 pounds. The
figure is represted with wings partly extended, and measures from should to shoulder, five feet. This work was
executed by R. T. Baxter, of Glens Falls, and is highly creditable to his skill as a workman and to the liberality
of the town.
The Fair Grounds of the Warren Co. Agricultural Society are located a short distance from Glens Falls, and embrace
twenty eight acres inclosed by a substantial board fence. The grounds are owned by a stock company and are controlled
by seven directors. The cost of the grounds and improvements was about $13,000.
The Gang Saw Mill of Col. Zenas Van Dusen is located on the Hudson, a short distance above Glens Falls. About 100
men are employed, running 156 saws and cutting about 10,000,000 feet of lumber annually.
Among the first settlers were Abraham Wing, Reed Ferris, Asaph and Benajah Putnam, Jeffrey Cooper, Ichabod Merritt
and Caleb Dowell. Immediately after the war, Benjamin Wing, Nehemiah Seelice, Phineas Babcock, William Roland,
David Bennett, James Houghson, Silas Brown and Jeremiah Briggs settled in the town. The first house of worship
was erected by the Society of Friends in 1786.
The record of this town during the Rebellion reflects great credit upon the earnest patriotism of the inhabitants.
A meeting was called by the citizens of Glens Falls, on the 18th of April, 1861, at which patriotic resolutions
were adopted, of which the following is a specimen:
"Resolved, That the village of Glens Falls will not be behind any of her sister villages in contributing the
men and the means necessary to defend the Government, and to maintain the permanency of our beloved institutions,
and that as our fathers who established the Union pledged 'their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honors'
to gain our independence, so will we pledge all we possess to cherish and protect the work of the illustrious men
of the past, and to transmit unimpaired to our descendants the noble institutions given to us.
"Resolved, That to the end, we are for maintaining this Union undivided, and that whatever may be the consequences,
sacrifice of property or life itself, everything but loss of honor, we will stand by the stars and stripes until
the last faint echo in the expiring gale shall waft our dying prayer heavenward, in behalf of our country, our
institutions and humanity."
A recruiting office was opened the next Saturday, by Dr. A. W. Holden, and during the following week Capt. George
Clendon, Jr., was authorized to raise another company. These two companies were soon filled and were incorporated
into the Twenty second Regiment N. Y. Volunteers. While the recruiting of these companies was going on, a relief
fund was raised by voluntary subscription in the town of Queensbury alone, amounting to 811,243, for the aid and
support of the families of such members of these companies as were needy or destitute. Another fund was raised
to defray the expense of subsistence during the progress of enlistment. The total amount of collections and disbursements
from this source, to June 1863, when these companies were mustered out, was $3,260.47, which was apportioned among
twenty nine families. The area of the town is 37,963 acres.