New Comers to Hartford, NY
From: The Story of Hartford, A History
Compiled by: Mrs. Isabella Brayton, Town Historian
in collaboratin with John B. Norton.
Hartford, NY 1929
Around 1830 we find a few more familiar family names. Jordan Seely had settled in town about 1822. His son John
became a prominent justice and like John Norton was known as the Squire. The name Gilchrist first appears in 1831
on the town records, where we find the names of Andrew and Robert listed in road district No. 35. They were of
Scotch-Irish descent. In 1831 the name of Edward Rowe appears; also in that year appears the name of Clemons Gibbs.
He was in road district No. 5. A. Paul and Silas Nelson had settled in the west part of the town as early as 1813.
Timothy Allen had settled on the east road in 1814 and Asahel Newton in 1820. The Newton homestead is the present
McMurray farm. Edward Rowe started farming in pioneer manner by clearing new land on the hills in the east section
of the town. The remains of his farmstead, now long abandoned and growing up to woods, is near the Lease Land by
the McGan farm. The Weer family, which became prominent in town during the Civil War, settled in the East Hartford
section about this time. Another of the later families was Reynolds of East Hartford, of which Job J. was a member.
Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays
|All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s).
These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided
here freely for personal use only. Privacy