The Patent Becomes a Town (Hartford, NY)
From: The Story of Hartford, A History
Compiled by: Mrs. Isabella Brayton, Town Historian
in collaboratin with John B. Norton.
Hartford, NY 1929

The Patent Becomes a Town

The patent by 1793 contained sufficient residents to be set off from Westfield as a separate town. This was done on March 23rd of that year. Nathaniel Bull gave to the new town the name of Hartford, from the Hartford Indians who had frequented the vicinity. The adoption of this name was influenced no doubt by the sentimental feelings of the majority of the inhabitants, most of whom had come from Connecticut. It was not until 1808 that Putnam and Dresden were set off from Westfield, and not until 1810 that the remaining portion received the name of Fort Ann.

The electors of the newly organized town met at the house of Daniel Mason to hold their first town meeting. The following officers were elected; Supervisor Daniel Mason; town clerk, Asahel Hodge; assessors, Joseph Bolton, David Baker; collector, Caleb Goff; commissioners of the highways, Jonathan Wood, Ichabod Hawley, Daniel Brown; overseers of the poor, John Buck, Asaheal Hodge; constables, Matthew Taft, Caleb Goff; treasurer, John Buck; fence viewers, Jonathan Covel, Benjamin Stewart, Ezekiel Goodell, Abraham Stockwell, Daniel Comstock. There being no banks nearby, for some years the treasurer of the town acted in that capacity. He was required to pay six per cent. for all money in his hands at the end of the year. As the poormasters and the constables had the handling of some public money, they had to procure bail. In 1818, a sealer of weights and measures was added to the list of town officers. Daniel Mason acted as moderator or chairman of the first meeting. A list of those who have filled the principal offices in subsequent years may be found in the Appendix. Some of the residents of the Provincial Patent who had held office in Westfield were: Daniel Mason, supervisor, 1793; Nathaniel Bull, town clerk, 1789 and 1790; Asahel Hodge, town clerk, 1793; and Ezekiel Goodell, collector, 1789. It was possibly through the influence of Daniel Mason and Asaheal Hodge in the town matters of Westfield that the patent was set off at that date. The town meetings of Westfield had occasionally been held within the patent at Nathaniel Bull's. For the town clerk of the new town some stationery was purchased, besides a book for town records. This old book with its wealth of valuable as well as interesting records of town meetings, road surveys, etc., is in the office of the town clerk and is still in a good state of preservation considering its age.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy