HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WEST BLOOMFIELD.
ON February 11, 1833, that part of township number 10 of range 5, which lay east of Honeoye Outlet, was set
off from the old town of Bloomfield and given a separate organization under the name of West Bloomfield. In area
this is the smallest, except Geneva, of the towns of Ontario county, but is a town of considerable importance from
a commercial and industrial point of view. Township 10, range 5, was purchased from the proprietary in 1789 by
General Amos Hall, Robert Taft, Nathan Marvin and Ebenezer Curtis, all of whom were pioneers in the town as early
The actual settlement in West Bloomfield began in the spring of 1789, when Peregrine Gardner came and made the
first improvement, and was followed in the same year by Ebenezer Curtis and his family. Pioneer Gardner located
in the central part of the town, on lot 10, and in the same vicinity he passed the remainder of his life. Lucinda,
daughter of Mr. Gardner, was the first white child born in the town, this event taking place in 1791. Amos Hall
settled west of Gardner, and was for many years an influential man in the county. In the beginning of the war of
1812 he commanded the Ontario county militia, and performed good service on the frontier; but having no practical
knowledge of military affairs, was superseded in command by a trained officer. He also was conspicuous in State
politics, and held offices of trust and importance. He was a large landholder in this locality. General Hall died
in West Bloomfield December 28, 1827, the father of six children, nearly all of whom likewise attained much prominence.
Other pioneers and early settlers in this locality (the eastern central part of the town) were David Parsons (1796)
the carpenter; Clark Peck, 1790; John Wendle, Reuben Lee, Deacon Daniel Handy (1796), Nathaniel Shepard (1805),
Martin Minor, Nathaniel Eggleston, Mr. Stewart, Josiah Eggleston (shoemaker), Bayes Baker, Ami Fowler, Phileman
Hall, Daniel Curtis, William Lee. This locality also seems to have been the home of a number of early industries,
as investigations disclose the fact that about 1816 Gen. Hall built a gristmill on the creek, and on the site a
mill was maintained for many years afterward. Samuel Nichols started a distillery in 1818; Jacob Ardle a sawmill
in 1825. An ashery was also in operation here at an early day.
The pioneer of the northeast part of the town was Samuel Miller, whose settlement began in 1790, but who made an
improvement on lot six in 1789. From this pioneer family the name Miller’s Corners was derived. Other persons in
this section were Josephus Fox, Thomas Larkins, Benjamin Burlingame (1795), Charles Smith, Benj. Crowell (1802),
Robert Simpson (1796). South and southeast of the center of the town was settled early, and among the pioneers
here we may recall the names of Captain Robert Taft, Royal Wheelock, John Lute, James Harvey, Lot Rew, Daniel Riley,
Payne Leach, Wm. Carringer, the Algur family, Benj., John, Samuel and Josiah, George Nichols, Aaron Norton, John
Miner, William Paul and David McMaster. In the southwest quarter the pioneers were Capt. Otis Thompson, Jesse Taft,
Mr. Bent, Job Williams, Jeremiah Simmons, Arnold and Whitley Mann, Mr. Chapman, Daniel Daniels, William Daniels
and Watrous Peck.
North of the locality last mentioned the pioneers were Colonel Jasper C. Sears and Ebenezer Curtis, the latter
one of the proprietors, and whose settlement was made in 1789. In the same locality, also, the other early settlers
were Julius Curtis, Joseph Gilbert, Palmer Peck, Jasper Marvin, Loren Waits, Sylvanus Thayer (who built the first
gristmill in the town), Uriah Webster (who had a saw-mill near Thayer’s), Reynolds and Abner Peck. The locality
just mentioned contains the hamlet of West Bloomfield, which in the early history of the town, was a place of great
importance. In addition to the industries above noted, we may also mention Hutchinson’s distillery, started in
1827, near the grist mill. Daniel Ashley was the head of a firm which started the first cotton-mill in this region,
which later became a woolen factory. Elisha Eggleston ran a grist-mill here at an early day.
The pioneers of the north and northeast portions of the town may be chiefly recalled by name, and among them were
the Bull, Dixon, Hibbard and Baker families, and also Daniel and Marvin Gates, Reuben and Beebe Parmele, Isaac
Hall, Daniel and Titus Canfield, Jared Everts, and the Butlers, Hayeses and Madisons. In this part of the town
is situated the busy little manufacturing hamlet of North Bloomfield, of which more will be written later on in
In West Bloomfield, unlike some other towns of the county, the history of the villages is an essential part of
the township itself, and among those which form a part of this chapter the most productive of recollections associated
with the town at large is the hamlet bearing the name of the town. Pioneers Ebenezer Curtis and Jasper P. Sears
(some authorities say John P. Sears) settled in this locality, the former in 1789 and the latter in 1790. A preceding
paragrpah has recorded the names of other early settlers in this vicinity, prominent among whom was Jasper Marvin.
In 1810 Erastus Hunt had a general store, but still earlier Hendee & Company were in trade at the village.
Ludwick came later, as also did Augustus Hall, whose store was east of the village. John Dickson was the pioneer
lawyer, and Doctors Fairchild and Hickox sold drugs and attended the sick. Dr. Lewis Hodge succeeded them. About
1820 Captain Arnold started a tannery, and two brothers Pillsbury opened a smith’s shop. John Cooper made axes
and other edged tools, Reuben Pierce was wagon - maker, and Pioneer Baker made chairs. W. D. Pillsbury started
a foundry about 1830. Other early business men were Edward Herrick, brass founder, and Josiah Wendell, merchant.
However, to recall the names of all the proprietors of business enterprises which have from time to time been established
in West Bloomfield village would be difficult to accomplish, and even then could have no special interest. The
village is situated something more than a mile south of the railroad, and although a pretty hamlet, does not possess
the interests which seventyfive and more years ago made it their seat of operation. Its populalion is about 350,
and its present interests are confined to the stores of Leach & Company, and Rigney. The town-house was formerly
the property of the Christian Church Society.
The Congregational Church of West Bloomfield is one of the fixed institutions of the village and has a history
almost as interesting as that of the town itself. The “Society of Bloomfield,” as it was originally called, had
its beginning as early as the year 1796, and is therefore to be numbered among the first religious societies of
Western New York. The first meetings were held under the charge of Pioneer Elisha Wade, and on August 16, 1799,
an organization was perfected, having these members: Ebenezer Curtis, Samuel and Sarah Handy, Mary Hall, Daniel
Canfield, Rachel Gilbert, Elizabeth Miner, Elizabeth Downs, Peregrine Gardner, Griffin Downs, Nathaniel and Sebra
Butler, Reuben and Louisa Lee, Hannah Curtis, Rhoda Curtis, Phebe Hall, Comfort Marvin, and Phebe Richmond. The
first pastor was James Hotchkin, who came as a supply in October, 1801, and who was installed pastor May 19, 1803.
The early services of this church were held in the school-house, to which building the society at first proposed
to make an addition to be occupied for purposes of public worship, but objections to this plan being interposed,
a church edifice was finally determined upon. This was in 1804, but not until i 8o6 was the work begun, and the
building was not fully completed until several years afterward.
In 1828 the church called Silas C. Brown to the pastorate, whose installation was almost immediately followed
by a bitter controversy among the members, and the final result was the withdrawal of forty of them, who organized
a new society and installed Mr. Brown as their pastor. They also built a house of worship in 1831, which was used
until the opposing factions became reunited, and was afterward (1866) sold to the trustees of St. Joseph’s R. C.
Society. The reunion mention was effected in 1843, and three years later the congregation had become so large that
a new church was necessary. It was accordingly built—a large brick structure, costing about $5,000. This proved
sufficient for the requirements of the society for thirty years, but in 1875 a third edifice was begun and was
completed within two years. The property of the society consists of church, chapel and parsonage, of a total value
of about $18,000.
The pastor and supplies of this church from its organization to the present time have been as follows: James H.
Hotchkin, David Fuller, Ebenezer Fitch, Silas C. Brown, William P. Kendrick, Julius Steele, George Clark, George
Bassett, C. R. Clark, Timothy Stowe, C. E. Fisher, George C. Overhiser, P. F. Sanborn, John Patchin, 0. D. Crawford,
S. B. Sherrill, and Annis F. Eastman, the last named being the present incumbent. The church at this time has a
membership of 200, and the Sunday-school has 210 scholars.
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church at West Bloomfield was organized in 1866, and included within its parish the Roman
Catholic families of the town. In the same year the church purchased the frame church formerly erected by the withdrawing
element of the Congregational Society. Father William Hughes was for many years pastor of St. Joseph’s. The present
pastor is Father Simon Fitzsimons.
The Christian Church of West Bloomfield was organized in October, 1818, and held its early meetings in school-houses.
In 1825 a church edifice was built about a mile south of West Bloomfield village, where it stood until 1848, and
was then moved to the corner lot in the village. Rev. David Millard w.as the active organizer of this church and
society, and he stood in the relation of pastor almost throughout its existence. In 1868 he moved to Michigan,
and was succeeded in the pastorate by Revs. Havens, Sibley, and David E. Millard, who labored to maintain the organization
of the society, but failing, its was finally dissolved, and the edifice was purchased by the town and used for
North Bloomfield is the name of a small hamlet and post-office station south of the line of the Canandaigua and
Batavia branch of the Central road. This has been an important manufacturing center for many years, and unlike
many other portions of the county, its interests and enterprises here have been maintained and even increased with
passing years, and it is a fact that to-day the little hamlet of North Bloomfield is the most important manufacturing
center in western Ontario county.
The pioneer of this part of the town was Daniel Gates, who made a settlement in 1790, and was followed in 1794
by Marvin Gates, who was a pioneer in the lumbering business. At this point, about 1795, Samuel Miller and one
Crites built a saw-mill on Honeoye outlet, which old mill subsequently passed through various ownerships and stood
for many years. John Blake was an early distiller of spirits near the old grist-mill of Squire and Jacob Smith.
The Squire built a cloth or fulling-mill for his son Eldrick, the building afterward being made into a grist mu
and operated by Amos Gates. Near it Francis Smith established a distillery, for it must be understood that the
pioneer grist mill and the distillery of the same period were hand in hand enterprises. James Smith opened a store
at an early day. This leads to the remark that the Smiths were people of much consequence in the early history
of this locality, and from the number and extent of their interests, the point at one time was known as Smithtown.
Other early business men here were Goodrich, succeeded by Joseph Chambers; Horace Chambers, Robert Huntington,
hotel-keeper; Isaac Hall, who had a forge and furnace. The industries and business interests of this region extend
along the outlet on both sides, and, as a result, a village of importance has grown up, much of which is located
on the west or Lima side of the stream.
The present interests which have an abiding place on the North Bloomfield side of the outlet are the general store
of Charles S. Chambers & Company, the grist-mill of Amos Lotee, the flouring. mills of Aaron Mather, the saw-mill,
stave, heading and barrel factory of A. B. Collins & Company, the factory of C. H. Fairchild, millwright and
manufacturer of mill flights; the wagon repair shop of Wallace Buck, and other small industries which are incidental
to a manufacturing community. These diversified and somewhat extensive interests require protection, hence “The
North Bloomfield Fire Department” was organized, and was incorporated in October, 1886. Its jurisdiction extends
to the west side of the outlet, and in fact it is an organization of the vicinity rather than of North Bloomfield
Miller’s Corners, as known for many years, but more recently designated as “Miller Corners,” was named in honor
and memory of Samuel Miller, whose first improvement was made in 1789, and whose residence here began in 1790.
Pioneer Miller was a blacksmith and established a primitive shop in the town soon after coming here. Thus he founded
a settlement, though having no such intention at the time. However, it was not until the completion of the railroad
(1853) that this hamlet acquired any prominence, although a post-office was established here in 1849, and to it
was given the name "Taylorville," in allusion to the surname of the then president, Gen. Zach. Taylor.
The name of Miller’s Corners was adopted in 1869. The business interests of Miller Corners are substantially embraced
by the general stores of Johnson and Croft respectively, and the public institutions are the Methodist Church and
the school of District No. 3. It may be added, however, that the Old Cemetery and Rural Cemetery have their location
within the hamlet proper, and in connection therewith may be mentioned.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of West Bloomfield, as an original organization, belongs to the twon rather than
the village of Miller’s Corners The society was formed February 7. 1831, and held its first meetings in West Bloomfield,
in the school. house, and occasionally in Mr. Miller’s barn. The church edifice was built in 1832. However, as
most of the members resided at the Corners or its vicinity, the society was disbanded, and afterwards reorganized
as a society of Miller’s Corners, to which place the meeting-house was removed, and was superseded by a more substantial
structure in 1840. Present pastor, Rev. E. W Parks. Although the pastorate is not always supplied by a resident
minister, the society is nevertheless large and prosperous.
Schools.— As early as 1796 a school was opened at West Bloomfield, and before 1812 the enterprising inhabitants
of the town founded an academy. Prior to 1800 a school was started at Miller’s Corners, and in 1812 a school-house
was erected. Other early schools were in district No. 7, also No 8, and elsewhere in the town, all of which tends
to show that even during the infancy of the township the educational interests were the subject of care and attention
on the part of the people. According to the present arrangement, the territory of the town is divided into nine
school districts, only one of which (No. 8) has no school building. In 1892 the number of children of school age
was 407, to instruct whom fourteen teachers were employed at an expense during the year of $2,521.50. The amount
of moneys received for school purposes was $3,354.53. There are six frame school houses, also one of stone (No.
As has been stated in this chapter, the town of West Bloomfleld was set off February 11, 1833, and was separately
organized at the first town meeting held on the first Tuesday in April following, at which time these officers
were elected: Reynold Peck, supervisor; H. R Hall, town clerk; Stephen Blake, David Paul and Wheeler Griffin, assessors;
Isaac W. Phillips, collector; Stephen Hen dee and Sylvester Kellogg, overseers of the poor; Sidney Huntington,
Enoch Hall and Elias D. Wright, justices of the peace.
Succession of Supervisors— Reynold Peck, 1883—39, 1843—44, 1847—48; Bazaleel C. Taft, 1840—42; Jasper C.
Peck, 1845; John Dickson, 1846; Solon Peck, 1849—50; Charles Webb, 1851; Melancton Gates, 1852; Daniel S. Baker,
1853—54; Thos. R. Peck, 1855; Elisha F. Leech, 1856—64; Joseph C. Shelton, 1865—66; Hiram T. Parmele, 1867—70;
Jasper P. Thompson, 1871; Reynold M. Peck, 1872; Walter J. Dixon, 1873 74; Harvey A. Metcalf, 1875—77; James H.
Baker, 1878; Carlton S. Miller, 1879—80; Oscar H. Huntington, 1881; Carlton S. Miller, 1882—83; Edwin E. Bond,
1884—85 ; John P. Eaton, 1886; Reynold M. Peck, 1887—88; Edwin E. Bond, 1889 ; Patrick O’Leary, 1890—91; Newton
W. Dibble, 1892; William T. Case, 1893.
Present Town Officers— William T. Case, supervisor; M. H. Shepard, town clerk; C. M. Hendee, H. B. Webb,
G. I. Rose, L. A. Taylor, justices of the peace; H. B. Marble, E A. Chapin, John Seymour, assessors; Ira Clemons,
commissioner of highways; E. A. Chapin, overseer of the poor; W. H. Welch, collector; A. M. Lyman, William Webb,
Wm. H. Welch, constables; Henry P. Hewitt, Sears B. Wood, Henry C. Brown, inspectors of election; James Elton,
commissioner of excise.