History of Willing, New York
A Centennial Memorial
History of Allegany County, New York
John S. Minard, Esq. Historian
Mrs. Georgia Drew Andrews, Editor.
W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N. Y. 1896

.


WILLING
CHAPTER XLIX.
BY O. T. PERKINS.

THE TOWN OF WILLING was formed from. Independence and Scio Nov. 19, 1851, and is named in honor of Charles Willing, one of the original owners of the Willing and Francis tract. Alma was taken from. its territory Nov. 23, 1854, and a portion of Wellsville Nov. 22, 1855, leaving 22,150 acres as its present area. It lies upon the southern border of the county and state, being town 1, range 1, Morris Reserve and Willing and Francis tract. Its first town meeting was held Mar. 2, 1852, when John A. Foland was elected supervisor; Ozias Yale, town clerk; Daniel P. Witter, Fielden Chapman and A. Huribut, justices; David Wilcox, superintendent of schools; Charles Rogers and Samuel B. Stebbins, assessors; George M. Arnold, Oliver Ackerman and Asa Parks, commissioners of highways; Amasa Ellis, collector; George W. Cate, Charles Weed, David Dunham and L. A. Jenison, constables; Jabez Card, Wm. Wilcox and Ambrose Straight, inspectors of election, and Jared Stillrnan, overseer of poor. Of this list but two are now living (April, 1895,) viz. Geo. W. Cate and David Wilcox, the former stifi a resident of the town and the latter a county judge in Minnesota.

The Supervisors from organization of the town: 1852—53, John A. Foland; 1854—60, Amasa Ellis; 1861—65, Daniel P. Witter; 1866—67, 1873—74, 1879, L. H. Ackerman; 1868—69, 1875—76, O. L. Barney; 1870—71, James M. Parker; 1872, B. M. Phillips; 1877—78, Silas Stillman; 1880—81, A. J. Johnson; 1882—83, S. A. Beach; 1884—85, 1889—90, L. D. Witter; 1891—92, S. A. Beach; 1893-94-95, O. P. Perkins.

Town officers for 1895 are: Supervisor, 0. P. Perkins; town clerk, E. S. York; justices, L. H. Ackerman. Elmer Parker, Phidello Wilson, John H. Trask; assessors, Philo Payne, Thomas Mapes, James T. Covel; commissioner of highways, A. L. Graves; collector, John H. Graves; overseer of poor, John W. Kelligan; commissioners of excise, (no-license) E. D. Perkins, Moses Miller, Fred Phillips; constables, E. B. Harris, Henry Brandes, Harold A. Seaver, John H. Graves.

The town lies upon the head waters of the Geriesee river about two thirds upon the east and the remainder upon the west side of the river. The principal tributaries upon the east are the Hemlock, Sway and Rabbit creeks forming the Chenunda near Hallsport and the Cryder creek. TJpon the west side Fords and Marsh creeks constitute the principal streams. These creeks are fed by innumerable spring runs and rivulets making the surface of the land very uneven. The W. C. & P. 0. railroad passes up the Genesee valley in a southerly direction entirely through the town, having switches at Shays, Mapes and Graves, and a station at Shongo. The people are mostly engaged in farming being about equally divided between dairying and potato raising, the famous Beach Hill district being almost entirely devoted to potato culture while at Hallsport and Shongo flourishing cheese factories, attest to the extent of the dairy interest. The cheese manufactured at the Hallsport factory has averaged 170,000 lbs. annually for the last fourteen years, reaching 189,000 lbs. in 1891 from 1,780,000 lbs. milk. Upon the west side of the river lumbering is still carried on. to a limited extent, but the valuable hemlock timber and bark have mostly disappeared, leaving the land generally in a pretty poor condition, covered with the stumps and refuse from past lumber and bark operations.

There are five postoffices in the town, viz., Shongo, Stanard, Hallsport, Mapes and Stone Dam.

Shongo, a hamlet in the south part of the town upon the Genesee river, contains a flouring mill, sawmill, two blacksmith shops, wagon shop, one general store, a drug store and the postoffice, hotel, railroad station, has two physicians, a cheese factory, and a school, with about 175 people. The Shongo gristmffl built by A. J. Forman and owned now by L. H. Ackerman has 3 runs of stone carried by waterpower. Mr. Forman also built a sawmill at this place which has capacity of 18,000 feet per day. The Shongo cheese factory was built in 1893 by R. C. Aylesworth. In 1894 80,000 lbs. of cheese were made from 270 cows. Tradition has it that the wife of old Chief Shongo of the Seneca Indians is buried here, hence the name.

Hallsport, the next hamlet in point of size, is located upon Chenunda creek in the northeast corner of the town, has a general store and postoffice, a cheese factory, a blacksmith shop, two wagon shops, one sawmill, one shingle mill with planer and matcher, one feed mill, a school and about 150 population. This settlement was named for Calvin Hall, one of the first settlers.

Stannard’s Corners (Stanard), upon the north border of the town, lies partly in the town of Wellsville. The portion lying in Willing contains a store and postoffice, M. E. church and parsonage, a blacksmith shop and about 100 people. This settlement was named after one John Stannard who kept the first hotel in the place.

Stone Darn, a postoffice upon the western border of the town, has two hotels and a few dwelling houses.

Mapes, upon the river near the center of the town, has a general store and postoffice, the large lumber yard of Duke & Co., a blacksmith and a wagon shop but no dweffings aside from the adjacent farm houses. It is a shipping point of considerable importance upon the W. C. & P. C. railroad as it is the outlet from Honeoye creek in Alma and the Eleven-mile in Potter Co. Pa., also for the Beach Hill section in Willing.

Settlers and Settlernents.— As near as can be ascertained the wilderness was first broken by one John Ford, an Irishman from Connecticut, who came to Friendship in 1818 and the next year to lot 43 and also took up lot 44 in Willing- He was a Revolutionary hero and was said to be in every way qualified to battle with the forest and its denizens. After remaining until 1830 he sold his betterments to Asa Parks his son-in-law and moved to Ohio. In 1842 he returned to Wffling and resided with Mr. Parks until his death in 1855 at the advanced age of 88 years. The next settler of which we have any record was Elijah Robinson. who came from Brookfield, Madison Co., in 1825. He settled upon the river close to the state line, built a sawmill (said to have been a few feet over the line in Pennsylvania). He remained here until about 1830 when he became deranged, left the town and we have no further record of him. In 1827 Davis Parks moved down the river from Genesee Forks just across the state line and located on lot 38. Four years later he removed to Andover and from thence to the west. In 1828 John Graves, a native of Harpsburg, Del., settled on lot 33 and in 1830 moved to lot 15 just across the river and remained there until his death in 1862. His son, Abner Graves, a very aged man, still lives in the town. His son Henry died recently. In 1829 Asa Parks moved from Independence and settled on lot 43. In 1833 he located on lot 82, and in 1836 took up his residence permanently upon lot 181 upon the hill east of the river. His article for lot 43 is said to be the first article taken for land in the town.

In 1830 Jeremiah and Seth Graves located on lot 32 and Hugh Burrows from Delaware county on lot 162. Jeremiah Graves came from Steuben county, Seth from Connecticut via Potter county, Pa. About eight years later Jeremiah Graves removed to Independence where he died in 1873 at a very advanced age. Seth Graves resided in Willing during his life. His son George still lives in the town. He says that in his youth it was not an uncommon day’s hunt for his father to kill six to eight deer and he has known him to kill five bears in a day. The bears and wolves were very troublesome at times carrying off their sheep and shotes.

In. 1831, Lot Harris and Henry Hagerdorn settled here. The former on lot 17 and latter on lot 18. In 1832 Stifiman Rogers located on lot 12. He died in 1893. His son E. A. Rogers resides now upon a portion of the same lot. Ozias Yale, a native of Oxford, Chenango Co., settled upon. lot 43 in 1833, and lived nearly or quite fifty years upon the same farm, dying but recently at the home of his daughter-in-law in Wellsville. General Jones the father-in-law of Mr. Yale made’ it his home with him for many years. He was a Revolutionary hero and is buried upon a beautiful mound upon the same lot. Nathan Woodcock was also a noted settler of 1833. He was a native of New Hampshire and settled upon lot 189 and resided in the town until his death in 1870. In. 1834 D. T. Graves a native of Pennsylvania located on the river and in 1859 removed to Andover. Enos Gifford and Charles Rogers also came in 1834. Rogers locating on lot 38 where he rearej a noted family; Eli, Lowell, and William becoming ministers of the gospel, Joel (who was killed at the battle of Antietam), Charles and Harrison, still residents of the town. It was the writer’s fortune to lay under the same blanket with Joel the night before AntIetam. He had just returned from a sick leave and was not yet strong but was very anxious to get to his place in the ranks before the battle was on..

Jaèob Truax, a native of Albany Co., and Rev. John Walden, from Otsego Co., were settlers of 1835, the former upon lot 23 and the latter on lot 134. Augustus Beach from Genesee Co., was also a settler of 1835. He located upon lot 163 upon “Beach Hill" where he resided until his death in 1861. He was a pioneer in every sense of the word, as he had to cut a road a mile through the woods to get to his place. His two. sons, Columbus and Azariah, are residents of the town, the former living upon the farm taken up by the father.

While these settlements were in progress upon the river and adjacent sections, there was a small colony of settlers locating upon the Chenunda creek in the northeast corner of the town now known as Hallsport. John Clime, from Steuben Co., came in 1831, then Calvin Hall, Jacob L. Bloss, John Wheeler, Thomas M. Perkins and others followed, mostly from Independence. They later cut a road along the river through to Stannard’s Corners, which was soon used as a mail route from Angelica to Knoxville, Pa. Calvin Hall opened a hotel in 1838, Thomas M. Perkins built a sawmill in 1839 or 40, and Jabez Card a store and ashery in 1841.

The settlement of the town after 1840 was quite rapid and in 1855 the census shows a population of 1,127 people; appearing again in 1875 at 1,713; since that time there has been somewhat of a decrease as the census of 1892 gives us but 1,360 people.

The first religious services were held by Rev. Seneca Fish in 1834. The first school was taught by Betsy Lovell in 1836. The first death was that of a child of Austin Butlers in 1837. Hotels were opened at Shongo and at Hallsport in 1838. The pioneer store was opened by James R. Wood at Shongo in 1839. In 1894 Mr. Wood was still running a small store in Shongo.

The First M. B. Church was organized in 1871 by Rev. William Rogers who was its first pastor. A church edifice was erected the same year with seating capacity of about 250 persons. Its original cost was $2,500. It has since been repaired and remodeled inside, a parsonage has been erected upon the church lot and the society is now in a thriving condition. Its present pastor is Rev. F. S. Osborne. Methodist classes were organized at Stannard’s Corners and at Hallsport in the early time of settlement but it is not possible to secure the names of the members.

The town of Willing sent many of her sons into the Civil War. It would be a pleasure to the writer (who was one of them) if he could place their names upon this printed page, but the town records of those days are missing and if such record was ever kept it is not now in existence. In 1882 the survivors organized

Wesley Rolfe Post, NO. 332, G. A. R.— It started out with 22 charter members, has increased to 54 members, but at this time has but about 40 members. The first officers were: Commander, 0. T. Perkins; S. V. C., I. A. Keuson; J. V. C., John Lestner; Q., James T. Covel; Officer of the day, C. F Clime; Chaplain, Nathan R. Woodcock; O. G., L. Campbell; Adjutant, R. J. Fosbury; S. M., S. A. Livermore; Q. S., Henry Plants. The officers for 1895 are: Commander, 0. T. Perkins; S. V. C., Wm. W. Moore; J. V. C., 0. F. Clime; Q. M., James T. Covel; Officer of the day, L. Campbell;. Chaplain, Nathan R. Woodcock; 0. G., E. Allen Rogers; Adjutant,Wm. Donihi; S. M., Moses Mifier; Q. M. S., Henry Brandes.

Rolfe Corps, No. 69., W. B. U.—Soon after Wesley Rolfe Post was formed the patriotic ladies of Stannard’s Corners and vicinity organized this body which has been a faithful ally of the post. Its membership now is about 40. Officers: President, Mrs. Millie Peacock; S. V. P., Mrs. Frances Fosbury; J. V. P., Mrs. — Foster; Chaplain, Mrs. Rev. Osborne; Sect., Mrs. W. W. Moore; Treas., Mrs. Vina Kruson; Con., Mrs. Rose Donihi; A. Con., Mrs. Henry Williams; G., Mrs. Ruth Foster; A. G., Mrs. Olive Campbell.

Stannard’s Corners has the honor of supporting the largest lodge of Good Templars in. the county with Lewis D. Witter at its head. A flourishing lodge of K. O. P. M. has its headquarters at Shongo, also a large society of the E. A. U. is located at Hallsport.

Cyclone.— Upon Sunday evening, September 24, 1884, Shongo was visited by one of the most terrific cyclones that ever visited the county and perhaps state. Three persons were killed and 22 wounded, which comprised almost every person who passed through the terrible storm. Everything that came within its scope was destroyed, while buildings upon. its borders were torn from their foundations and drawn in towards the terrible vortex. The track of the cyclone was less than 40 rods wide and in this track stood 26 buildings, every one of them was literally torn into splinters, and nearly all were carried away by the wind, lodging in some instances as far as 18 miles in Steuben county, with portions of them scattered upon the fields along its zigzag eourse through that whole distance in the higher current of air. So fierce was the wind that the village cemetery was not even spared. The Wellsville Daily Reporter of Sept. 29, 1884, says that but two tombstones were left standing in the cemetery some being carried across the street. An iron potash kettle holding 60 gallons was carried 40 rods and lodged bottom side up in an open. field; a heavy lumber wagon was taken in the air and hurled against the adjacent hillside and smashed to kindling wood. The killed were Willis Garthner, Mrs. Edgar Pratt and Ann Lancaster, all full grown and active people. Some of the injured are cripples for life. The little village nestles closely between the rugged hills of the upper Genesee river and is nicely protected from fierce winds, but the cyclone seemed to descend from the clouds, strike this small portion of earth and again rise and be no more heard of. It has been a matter of comment that no more people were killed outright of those caught in the whirlpool. Two stores together with their stocks of goods vanished in the air, blacksmith and wagon shops, the village schoolhouse, fine residences, barns and all connected with them disappeared as by magic. The wind struck the earth at exactly 6.20 P. M. and was all past in less than two minutes. Some of the injured were not found until the next day.

SOME PERSONAL CHRONOLOGIES.— Oliver Ackerman, son of Elisha, was born in 1813. He married Angeline, daughter of Josiah Rogers, and moved to Willing very early with his wife and three children, and located on a lot, of wild land now the farm owned by his son Lucius. He built a log house, cleared the land and made a pleasant home where he died in 1883, and his wife died May 23, 1884.. Seven of their nine children are living. Mr. A. was road commissioner for several years. Lewis H. Ackerman, son of Oliver, was born Nov. 5, 1835. He married Lodema, daughter of Major and Aurilla (Harris) Payne and made his home in Willing. Always a farmer, he has been supervisor six years, justice of the peace four terms, justice of sessions three years. He enlisted in Co. B, Second Indiana Cavalry in September, 1861, served two years, and was promoted to orderly sergeant and 1st lieutenant. In 1863 he was mustered out on account of ill health and returned to Willing. In 1864 he and Elias Horton, of Wbitesville, recruited Co. I for the 189th N. Y. Mr. Ackerman was commissioned 1st lieutenant in this organization in September, 1864, and was mustered out in 1865. He has one child, Earl.

Lucas A. Babcock, son of Nathan, was born May 17, 1828. Marrying Elvira L. A. Wilson, daughter of Matthew, he settled in Independence. Several years later he made his home in Willing, where he has been a farmer and dairyman. He has two children, Adelbert A. and Alice R. (Mrs. Elmer E. Parker). In company with S. L. Hall in 1877 Mr. Babcock purchased the Line Brook creamery at Halisport and transformed it into a cheese factory. This now uses the milk of 500 cows, and has a product of 150,000 lbs. of cheese yearly. Adelbert A. Babcock is a merchant at Hallsport in company with his brother-in-law, E. E. Parker, with whom he is also engaged in extensive dairy operations. He is also postmaster. He married Flora Beach. Elmer E. Parker, son of Hiram, born Feb. 17, 1852, married Alice R. Babcock, resides at Halisport, where, with A. A. Babcock, he conducts merchandising and one of the finest dairies of this section and is justice of the peace.

Augustus Beach, son of Uriah, was born in Connecticut and moved to Willing in 1835 and settled on the farm now owned by Columbus Beach, his son. He took up 100 acres of wild land, built a log house, cleared his farm and made a comfortable home. He was wellknown in town, was a farmer and carpenter, and assessor several years. He married Lovina Skinner and had children: Columbus, Azariah, and Lydia A. (Mrs. Jacob Johnston). He died in September, 1862, his wife in March, 1866. Columbus Beach was born Feb. 20, 1823, married Miranda, daughter of Simeon Wilcox, and settled on the farm now the property of his son, S. A. Beach. A farmer all his life, he has been a justice of the peace 12 years and road commissioner 5 years. He had four children: S. Augustus, Flora M., Eva A., and Adelbert (dec.). S. Augustus Beach, son of Columbus, was born July 22, 1847, and is now located at Shongo as a merchant. He married Lucy Coller, was town clerk for several years, and in 1881, 1882, 1891, 1892, supervisor of Willing.

Daniel Bess, son of John, was born in Greenwood, Steuben county. About 1852 he was engaged in the mercantile business at Andover. In October, he married Lephia E. Fosbury, daughter of James, and settled in Willing where he has been both farmer and merchant, and is proprietor of the Shongo House. His daughter. Eva J., is Mrs. A. M. Doremus of Shingle House, Pa. James Fosbury, son of Stephen, was born in Bainbridge, N. Y., married Lomanda Jones and settled in Wellsville about 1840 as a blacksmith. Some years later he moved to Andover and passed some years on a farm he bought there. He later was a farmer in Willing and then moved west where he died. He served as a soldier in the 37th Iowa during the civil war. He had 12 children, 4 of the 8 now living reside in this county. His sons were Augustus and Julian (who served in 85th N. Y.), Heber and Eugene.

Edward Foster from Madison county settled early on a lot now owned by Philo Payne, and passed his life there. His son, Anthony R., born in Madison county, came to Willing in 1837, in 1840 settled on lot 139, where his son Al E. now lives. He married Ann Maria, daughter of Ebenezer and Lois Richmond. Children: Edward R., A. J., Ai E., Louisa M., and Lottie Maria Foster adopted in March, 1864. Anthony R. died in 88o and his wife in 1878. Edward R. Foster was born Nov. 21, 1841, and married Louisa A., daughter of Theodore and Rebecca (Graves) Livermore, Dec. 24, 1864, and settled on the farm where he now has his home. Their children are Clark 0., Louisa E., Edwin D. Ai E. Foster was born July 13, and married Helen M., daughter of Edward A. and Lucretia (Harris) Richmond, who died in 1876. His second wife was Ina A. Livermore. Mr. Foster was born and has ever resided on the old farm, and has five children: Harry L., MabeL Grace, Elmer E. and Archie R.

Thomas Fortner came from Tompkins county to Independence Feb. 21, 1821, and located too acres on a part of the John Hill farm where he lived till 1833 when he moved to lot 138 in Willing. Nichols Fortner, son of Thomas, settled in Willing, married Lestina, daughter of Nathan Woodcock, and was a blacksmith and farmer Byron Fortner, son of Nichols, born Oct. io, 1841, married Eveline Kellogg, and in i 88z settled on his present farm. He is a farmer and has been justice of the pease four years. Children Earnest R. and Lillian M.

Seth Graves, son of Bela, born in Connecticut, came to Willing in 1828 and settled on the farm now owned by his son George. He took up 64 acres, built a log house, barn and blacksmith shop, and became noted as a hunter. He married Jane George, and had 11 children. George Graves, son of Seth, was born in Tioga, Pa., in 1817. He married Jane Hunter, settled on the old homestead, is a farmer and blacksmith, and has nine children. A. L. Graves, son of George, was born in 1863, married Jennie, daughter of A. J. Rolph, of Canisteo, and has two children, Pearl and Cecil. Mr. Graves resides on the old homestead and has been highway commissioner.

John Lestner, son of John and Julia (Baer) Lestner, was born June 9, 1839 in Dusznik, Prussia. He came to America in 1856, first to Germania, Potter Co., Pa., and in 1857 to Independence. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 85th N. Y. Vols., and was with the regiment when captured at Plymouth, N. C., in April, 1864. He was taken to Andersonville prison and was there until Sept. 11, 1864, when he was transferred to Charleston and later to Florence, S. C. March 3, 1865, he was sent north and was mustered out April 27, 1865. He returned to Willing, in 1866 married Deborah J. Philips and settled on lot 212 where is now his home. He is a member of Wesley Rolfe post, No. 332, G. A. R. He has three children, Minnie E., Lura and Sarah T.

Henry Mapes, a revolutionary soldier, came to Belfast about 1806. He was a cooper and farmer and married Sally McElwaine. Of their nine children none are living but John G. By a second wife Mr. Mapes had four children. John G. Mapes, son of Henry, born in 1809, married Sally Rogers, and was a carpenter and builder in Belmont until 1855 when he moved to McKeen Co., Pa., to manufacture lumber, and in 1865 removed to the place where he now lives in Willing. Mrs. Mapes died in 1868 leaving 2 surviving children. Thomas Mapes, son of John G., born July 27, 1837, in September, 1862, enlisted in the 172d Pa. Vol. and was commissioned second lieutenant of Co. H. He was discharged in 1863, in 1864 came to Willing, in 1866 married Madora, daughter of Nicholas Fortner. Children Berton G., Clair F., Anna L., and M. May. Mr. Mapes has been a farmer, a merchant, assessor and postmaster.

Hiram Parker, son of Ebenezer, settled in Independence early. He married Cynthia Covell and made his home on the farm where his son Clark now lives. He was an earnest hard-working farmer, built a log house, cleared up a farm and developed a comfortable home. He died in 1883. His wife survived him and now lives at Hallsport. The children living are Helen, Elmer E., James D.. Clark H., and Rose B. (Mrs. L. T. Shannon).

Orville T. Perkins was born in Willing, July 21, 1845, lived upon a farm until in October, 1861 he enlisted in Co E, 93d Regt N. Y. Vols., being but just past 16 years of age and weighing but 113 pounds. He was first placed in the drum corps but soon was sent back to the ranks. He was promoted to corporal in '63, re-enlisted in the field in December, '63, promoted to sergeant in May, 1864, transferred to Co. A, July 3, '64, promoted to 1st sergeant and placed in command of Co. A. in September, '64 was promoted to sergt. major and April '65, promoted to 2d lieut. He commanded a company five, months, was in the army nearly four years, was in 39 battles (including the final "roundup" of Lee at Appomattox), was mustered out July 13th, '65, and eight days later celebrated his 20th birthday with relatives in Willing. He has always held his residence in Willing, although he was four years in the pinery of Wisconsin. and about one year at Duke Centre, Pa. He has been postmaster. at Hallsport eight years, assessor six years, justice of the peace nine years, commander of Wesley Rolfe Post, G. A. R. for 11 years, accountant and treasurer of the Hallsport cheese factory i6 years, and supervisor of the town for the last three years. He married, Oct. 27, 1866, Clarrie F. Livermore of Independence. Children: Archie D., Lytie G. and Essie S. C.

Clark Witter was an early settler in Almond, where he took up a lot of land. He moved in 1838 to Willing settling on the farm now owned by Lowell Fanton. He later removed to Friendship where he died. He was a lumberman as well as a farmer, and reared nine boys and two girls. Daniel P. Witter, son of Clark, was born in Almond in 1832. He married Betsey Foster, daughter of Asa and Susan Taggart, and settled at Stannard's Corners, where he died in 1889. He combined lumbering with farming, and was prominent in town, taking great interest in its affairs, was justice of the peace several years and supervisor during the important period of the Civil War. He had seven children; six are living: Dencie (Mrs. C. D. Mills), Clara (Mrs. Sidney Crandall), France M., Libbie (Mrs. Peter Packard), Dr. G. H. Witter, of Wellsville, and Lewis D. Witter, who was born May 5, 1850, and in 1880, married Bettie, daughter of Wellington and Olive (Phillips) Hayes. They have four children, Victor, Jessie, Willie and Lawrie. Mr. Witter was supervisor of his town in 1885, '86, '89. '90. Luke G. Witter, son of Clark, married Ruth J., daughter of John Witter, and settled in Almond. In 1841 he moved to Willing and located as a farmer on the place now owned by his son Lorenzo where he died in 1881 and his widow in 1885. He had three children, Lucretia, Lorenzo and Zurial. Lorenzo married Mattie, daughter of George and Huldah (Bliven) Sisson, and succeeded to the homestead of his father. Mr. and Mrs. Witter have two children, Josie M. and G. Clifford.

Nathan Woodcock, son of Nathan, was born in Swanzey, Cheshire Co., N. H., and came to Willing in 1833. He took up 200 acres of land now owned by David Wilson, cleared up a farm and passed his life here. He married Abigail Crosset; of their ten children 6 are living. Nathan R. Woodcock, one of these children, was born May 1, 1821. He married Delilah Burrows Jan. 14, 1847, and settled in Willing. August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A, 136th N. Y. Vols. as a drummer and was mustered out in 1865. He is a member of Wesley Rolfe Post, and has been its chaplain since organization. Mr. Woodstock has three children, Effie A. (Mrs. Ambrose Benjamin of Scio), Melvina L. (Mrs. Wm. Kruson), and Nathan O.

Eben Covell, son of James, was born in Bristol, Ontario Co., N. Y. He married Sophia Barker, daughter of Samuel of Italy, Yates Co. About 1827 he moved to Independence and subsequently removed to Naples, N. Y. After several years he moved ro Willing where he died. Of his 10 children 5 are living.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy