SOMETHING OF SOME CITIZENS.-Enoch
Ballard, son of Peleg, was a native of Putnam Co., and from thence came to Steuben Co. In 1835 he came to Wirt
and took up 150 acres of uncleared land, which he prepared for cultivation. Mr. Ballard was a highly respected
member of the First-day Baptist church. He died in 1867, his wife, Polly (Tichenor) Ballard, in 1889. Of their
9 children survive, John T. (of Chardon, Geauga Co., O.), William (of Creston, Ogle Co., Ill.), George, Warren
W. (of Hampden, Geauga Co., O.), and Mary (Mrs. John Hatch of Richburg). George Ballard, son of Enoch, was born
July 1833. In 1864 he married Rosa Deming. They had 2 children, Walter A. and Ellie. Mr. Ballard resides on the
homestead. William Ballard, a brother of Enoch, came about the same time. He lived where his grandSons C. A. and
William Ballard now own, and died in 1860. He married Hannah Biggers. Four of their nine children are living. Charles
Ballard, son of William, married Pamelia S. Rogers, and lived many years on the old homestead. He died in 1894.
Porter Barnes, son of Hiram and Charlotte A. Barnes, was born Nov. 9, 1828, in Spafford, N. Y. After an attendance
at common schools he learned the carpenter's trade in Auburn, and came to Wirt April 17, 1857. He has worked at
his trade the most of his life, has superintended the moving of many buildings, receiving five dollars a day for
this service, and has also been a farmer in this town. He held the responsible office of assessor for six years.
He married, Aug. 16, 1849, Lydia, daughter of Thomas and Sally Babcock of Spafford. They have one child, Dennis,
who married Nettie Howe and resides in Wirt.
George W. Burdick, son of William and Avis L. (Thurston) Burdick, was born in Wirt Feb. 6, 1857. He learned the
trade of a tinsmith. In 1879 he married Lelia, daughter of Jesse and Almira Hamilton. She died in 1882. and in
1887 Mr. Burdick married, second, H. Emmogene. daughter of Jesse D. and Eliza (Clark) Rogers. Their children are
Anna L., Elpha E. and William J. Mr. Burdick is a farmer and has served as justice of the peace. Jesse D. Rogers.
son of John C. and Mary A. (Finch) Rogers, was born in Chenango Co. in 1833. In 1869 he moved to Friendship where
he died in 1892. His wife died in 1874. He married, second, Ellen White. Two of Mr. Rogers' children are living,
Mrs. G. W. Burdick and Madeha (Mrs. Eugene Perkins).
Rev. Benjamin H. Carryer was born in Lester eicester ?], England, in 1823, and at the age of 15 commenced preaching.
About 1842 he emigrated to Canada and was subsequently ordained a minister of the Baptist church. In 1860 or '61
he came to Richburg and was pastor of the First-day Baptist church for 4. years; his next pastorate was at Friendship,
later he was at Almond where he died in 1877. His first wife, Elizabeth Scott, died in 1855, and he married, second,
Harriet Smith. Frederick C. Carryer, son of Rev. B. H. and Elizabeth (Scott) Carryer, was born Sept. 7, 1847. February
22, 1864, he enlisted in Co. E, 48th N. Y., and received his discharge in September, 1865. July 7, 1868, he married
Rachel, daughter of Uriah Pierce, and settled on the farm where he now resides. Mrs. Carryer died in 1877, and
he married, second, Alice C. Mulkin, a daughter of Rufus and Amanda (Jordan) Mulkin. They have two children. Clair
B. and Angela A. Mr. Carryer is commander of Cassius Maxson Post, No. 249, and a deacon of the Baptist church.
Ambrose Coats, Jr., son of Ambrose, was born in Connecticut. He removed to Alfred in 1822, and, in 1830, came to
Wirt and located on a lot of 99 acres where he made his farm and home. He married Mary Kenyon. Of their children
2 survive, Lavinia (Mrs. E. M. Stillman of Alfred) and Morris H. of Richburg. Morris H. Coats, son of Ambrose,
Jr., was born June 1, 1826, in Alfred, and came in 1830 with his father to Wirt. In 1852 he married Adaline, daughter
of William Smith of Bolivar. Their children are Amos M., William M., Edwin D., Charles D. and Mary E. August 14,
1862, Mr. Coats enlisted in Co. A, 136th N. Y. V., and was discharged Nov. 2, 1865, thus devoting three years to
the service of his country. He has been a farmer and painter. Ambrose R. Coats, son of Ambrose, Jr., was born in
Plainfield. When but 4 years old he came with his father to this county, and married Susan, daughter of Jeremiah
Burdick. He settled on a lot of 95 acres adjoining his father. He died in 1891. Of his 6 children, Fred L., Nora
(Mrs. M. A. Furnald of Bolivar) and Wallace W. survive. Wallace W. Coats was born Jan. 31, 1844. In 1869 he married
Emma L., daughter of Alanson Kenyon of Wirt, and settled on the ancestral acres. He has 6 children.
Albert Boardman Cottrell, son of John B. Cottrell, was born Nov. 20, 1842, in Wirt, attended Richburg Academy and
Alfred University, and in 1860 commenced teaching. Enlisting in September, 1861, in Co. C, 85th N. Y., he was transferred
to the regimental band and discharged in August, 1862, as Congress ordered the mustering out of all regimental
bands. He re-enlisted in 1864 in the brigade band and was discharged in June, 1865. He then followed farming a
few years and taught school four years in Kansas. Returning to Wirt he was elected school commissioner in 1875,
and re-elected in 1878, holding that office six years. He was supervisor of Wirt two terms, and chairman of the
board of supervisors one year, and member of assembly in 1888 and 1889. He was chairman of the committee of agriculture
both years, also member of the committees of ways and means, appropriations, claims and education. He has been
prominently connected with local oil developments, and was one of the company that drilled the first producing
oil well in the Richburg field. Mr. Cottrell is a Grand Army man, and was a charter member of Cassius Maxson Post,
No. 249, of Richburg. He married, in March, 1873, Isabel J., daughter of George Coon of Friendship. Children: Mary
Lee, Raymond Sherman, Bernice Ruth and Max Boardman.
Hiram Dimick, son of Austin, was born in Pownal, Vt. In 1840 he came to Wirt. In 1845 he married Harriet, daughter
of Jonah French, and settled on the farm which his daughter Elosia now owns. Mr. Dimick was a man esteemed by his
townsmen and held many offices. He was supervisor in 1850, '51, '60, '68, '69, '70, '71, '76, '81, '85, was justice
of the peace for many years, served as assessor, and superintendent of schools. In early life he taught school
for a few years, but later was a farmer. Mr. Dimick died Feb. 3, 1893, his wife Oct. 1, 1880. Their children were
Hiland (dec.). Elosia, who resides on the homestead farm, and Marcus F., who resides in the town, and married Olivia
A., daughter of Samuel and Katherine Karr of Almond.
Arthur R. Doherty, son of William and Ann (McCloskey) Doherty, was born Dec. io, 1852. in Farmington, Pa. In 1875
he entered the employ of Tyler Brothers and worked in their oil field for several years. In 1881 he came to the
Allegany oil field, and, with other business, has also been a contractor and superintendent of the Allegany Gas
Company's lines. Mr. Doherty married Ruby Bubee, who died in 1888. His second wife was Bridget Cammon. His children
are Ralph, Anna and Irene E.
Pliny L. Evans, son of William, was born in Vermont, and when a child his father moved to Delaware county. In
1819 Pliny married Polly Gilbert, and in 1824 he came to Wirt and settled at Richburg on the farm now owned by
his daughter Harriet (Mrs. Chauncey Griffin). Mr. Evans brought his land into a cultivated state, erected his humble
home, and resided in the town some 50 years. He died Aug. 25, 1874. Mrs. Evans died May 15, 1843. Of their 10 children
7 attained maturity. There are now living, Gilbert at Forest Hill, Col., William at Hamilton, Mo, and Harriet.
Mr. Evans was one of the reliable men of the town, was justice of the peace for 40 years, served as supervisor
and assessor, and was also a teacher.
Elijah Fuller came from Onondaga to Wirt in 1822. and settled on the farm now owned by R. L. Cartwright. where
he resided until his death in 1829. He married Abigail Gilbert who died in 1847. They had 7 children. Elijah S.
Fuller was the last survivor. He was born Feb. 27, 1823, and died Aug. 11, 1894. In 1853 he married A. Jeannette,
daughter of Moses and Martha (Prosser) Maxson. Mr. Fuller was ever a resident of Wirt, a farmer and also engaged
in carpentering. He was an oil producer and had 24 wells. His children are Charles F., Ida B. (Mrs. Charles E.
Hull of Scio), Ella M. (Mrs. Wm. L. Bardeen), and George E.
Nathan Gilbert from Unadilla, Otsego Co., came to Wirt in 1819, built a log house on wild land be had taken up,
and cleared a small piece which he sowed to wheat. He brought his wife, Betsy (Wilcox) Gilbert, and 11 children
with his household effects on a sled drawn with a yoke of oxen, and reached his log cabin Feb. 20, 1820, having
a cash capital of sixpence. He made a comfortable home and farm by industry, and died in 1843, his wife in 1846.
His son, Ira, born Feb. 11, 1808, married Mary Lowell and inherited the farm of his father. He was a farmer and
lumberman, was road commissioner and active in the Baptist church, of which he was an esteemed member, and a generous
contributor to its needs. He had three children attaining maturity, and died April 13. 1894. Of his children, A.
D. lives at Dorchester, Neb., where he is assistant cashier of the Dorchester State Bank; Lovillo C. is cashier
of the National Bank of Exeter, Neb., where he resides; Rosalia E., died Oct. 13, 1875.
John Gilbert was a native of Massachusetts. He married Sally Allen in 1843, and in 1844 came to Wirt from DeRuyter,
N. Y. He was a farmer and settled and made his home on the farm now owned by Simeon Wightman. Eight of his eleven
children are living. Henry J. Gilbert, son of John, was born in Truxton, Cortland Co., in 1836. In 1864 he enlisted
in Co. B, 189th Regt. N. Y. V. and was discharged in June, 1865, having shown his patriotic spirit by bravely serving
his country. He married Elmira Brown in 1867. They have three children, Ernest E., Carrie E., and Hattie B.
Ezekiel W. Johnson was a native of Westerly, R. I. He married Abby Wilbur, came to Wirt about 1830, and settled
and made his home on the farm now owned by Mrs. Selina T. Johnson. He devoted himself to farming. He was a deacon
of the Seventh-day Baptist Church of Nile, and was a man respected in the town. He died April 15, 1853, his wife
died May 14, 1878. Of their 10 children, Henry of Milton, Wis., is the only survivor. Dennis M. Johnson, son of
Ezekiel and Abby (Wilbur) Johnson, was born Jan. 29, 1827. September 29, 1853, he married Seina T., daughter of
Z. W. and Paulina (Fanton) Stevens, and settled on the homestead farm which his widow now owns. Mr. Johnson died
April 19, 1892. Their adopted children are Emma and Arthur L.
Deacon Isaiah Jordan, one of the pioneers of the town of Wirt. settled on Jordan Hill in March, 1824, on a tract
of land purchased by him. He was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., July 22, 1799, and was married to Polly Dakin a native
of Dutchess Co., Oct. 22, 1821. Polly Dakin was born March 1, 1804. Dea. Jordan came of sturdy Irish-American stock
and for nearly 65 years occupied the old homestead, rearing 12 children. He was frugal, energetic, and honest and
was ever held in respect and honor for his many virtues and strong religious character. He was a constituent member
of the Richburg Baptist church, whose fine brick edifice stands to-day as a memorial of one of its most liberal
benefactors. He died Aug. i8, 1885, his wife Polly died in 1877. Both are buried in the cemetery at Richburg near
the church they loved well. Andrew J., eldest son of Isaiah and Polly Jordan, was born Oct. 24, 1822, married Eleanor
Stevens Nov. 21, 1844, and was a man of sterling worth, one of whom it was often said, "His word is as good
as his bond." By his energy and business sagacity he accumulated a large property, He was a member of the
Richburg Baptist church for many years and one of its most liberal supporters. His wife, a loyal little woman,
assisted him in his labors and was an admirable mother to her six children. Of her we can say with the prophet,
"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." The eldest daughter,
Helen A., is the wife of William J. Richardson of Belmont. Then follows, Celia, wife of Preston W. Gray, of Chicago,
Ill.; Roena P., died Sept. 13, 1862; Elta E., wife of the late Judge A. B. Braley of Madison Wis.; Milton A. who
married Effie Burdick, Richburg; AdaM., wife of W. G. Richardson of Richburg. Andrew J. Jordan died Jan. 12, 1881,
his wife and son Milton occupy the homestead on Jordan Hill.
Isaiah Jordan, son of John, born in Cherry Valley July 22, 1799, went when a boy to live with his brother Michael.
He married Polly Dakin in 1821, and about 1824 moved to Wirt, took up an uncleared lot of 100 acres, and built
a log house on what is known as Jordan Hill. He was a deacon of the First Day Baptist church of Richburg. He served
as assessor for several years. He had 6 sons and 6 daughters, of whom 7 were living in 1894. Charity L. (Mrs. Wrn.
M. Jordan of Dundee), John G., Fanny A. (Mrs. Rufus H. Mulkin), Michael 5., Angelo A., William H., Mary A. (Mrs.
Gilbert Rogers of Altai). Mr. Jordan was a man much respected. He died Aug. 18, 1885, his wife died Dec. 4, 1876,
William H. . Jordan. son of Isaiah, was born Nov. 9, 1840, married Libbie M., daughter of James B. and Anna (Murray)
Thomson, and has one daughter, Fanny A. Mr. Jordan has held the office of assessor 5 years and has Served 2 years
as road commissioner.
LeRoy E. Jordan, grandson of Isaiah Jordan one of the pioneers of the town, and son of Michael J. and Lucy A. (Smith)
Jordan was born June 23, 1862. In 1884 he engaged in the oil business, drilling wells, etc. He is also a farmer.
In 1886, he married Fanny Sortore, a daughter of Merritt Sortore, and has one child. Grace.
Jonas Jordan, son of Andrew, was born in Cherry Valley, N. Y., and came with his father to Wirt in 1860 he married
Phebe A., daughter of John Moore, and made his home in Wirt. He was a farmer, carpenter and miller, and was engaged
in these different vocations. Mr. Jordan was also an oil producer. He served the town as road commissioner and
assessor. His religious affiliations were with the Baptists and he was deacon of the church. He died Jan. 17, 1893.
His children were Hiram L. (dec.), Claire J., and Maude M. John Moore, Mrs. Jordan's father, came here about 1842
and settled on the farm now owned by Henry Gilbert. His first wife was Mary Roberts. Their children were Archibald,
John, Mary J. (Mrs. Henry Harris), Hiram, Phebe A. and Robert A. He died in 1886, his wife in 1856.
Augustus Kenyon, a native of Rhode Island, came to Wirt about 1825, and settled on a farm near the center of the
town. His wife's maiden name was Barber. They had 6 children. Mr. Kenyon died in 1854. His son Alanson, born in
Brookfield, Madison Co., married Polly Maxson. Only one of their 3 children survives, Emma L. (Mrs. W. W. Coats).
Mr. Alanson Kenyon died in 1875. He had been supervisor of the town, served as town clerk for several years and
justice of the peace.
Continued in Part 2
Also see History of Wirt, NY.