History of Barrington, NY
From: History of Yates County, N. Y.
Edited by: Lewis Cass Aldrich
Published by: D. Mason & Co.
Syracuse, N. Y. 1892

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF BARRINGTON.

AMONG the towns of Yates County, Barrington occupies a position on the south. As a part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase, the survey into townships brought Barrington as number six in the first range; from which it may be inferred that the eastern boundary of the town was the pre emption line, and that between its south boundary and the Pennsylvania north line were five other townships, each being approximately six miles in north and south measurement. The original survey of Barrington, under the Phelps and Gorham ownership, brought three of its lots, Nos. 73, 74 and 75, to the westward of Lake Keuka; and these were annexed for convenience to Jerusalem. Therefore the township of Barrington, exclusive of the part of the lake within its survey and the three lots west of the lake, includes considerably less than thirty six square miles.

The town of Barrington was one of the parcels conveyed by Phelps and Gorham to the New York Genesee Land Company, or to its representatives, in compromission of the pretended claim of the company to right of possession under the long lease made with the Six Nations; and like most of the other towns, Barrington was lotted and drafted by and among the persons interested in the company. The lot drawn by each represented an interest in the company of a shareholder. This process was maintained by the company through all, or nearly all, of the towns deeded to it by Phelps and Gorham. But it appears that a portion of the lands of this town in some manner passed into the ownership of the Puitney estate, represented by Agent Charles Williamson, while still another part passed to the Hornby estates, and that but few of the lots originally drawn for by shareholders in the lessee company were sold by them directly to settlers within the town, but the titles in some way passed to the Pultney and Hornby estate, and the lands were subsequently acquired by actual settlers from the agents of the estates or associations.

Barrington was not an original town of Yates County. On the 18th of March, 1796, Steuben County was erected, and included within its boundaries all that is now called Barrington, and Starkey as well. Upon the organization of Steuben, and the formation of its territory into townships, all that is now Barrington, together with what is now called Starkey and Tyrone, Wayne and Reading, comprised the original town of Frederickton, so named after Frederick Bartels, or Bartles, a Dutchman employed by Charles Williamson, and who built a mill on the outlet of Mud Lake, in 1793. The town of Reading was afterward set off, and Wayne organized, including Barrington. In 1822 Barrington was organized, its first town meeting being held in 1823, on the 24th of February, when officers were for the first time elected.

Still the town remained a part of Steuben County until January 1, 1826. On the 5th of April, 1824, the Legislature passed an act, providing "that from and after January 1, 1826, all that part of Steuben County including Barrington," etc., shall be annexed to Yates County.

The town of Barrington has its entire western boundary on Lake Keuka, a most desirable possession, for here is the very garden of the grape and fruit growing industry. Once an agricultural town of some prominence in the county, but now its tillable lands are turned into vineyards, and its meadows into orchards. In agriculture the town was rich, but in fruit growing it is still more productive. In this respect the town is second to none in the county. Still the town has its farmers, and thrifty, progressive and forehanded they are, too.

The surface of the land in the town is peculiarly adapted to the use to which it is put. Lying on the east side of the lake, the hillsides find ample protection from the severe western winds in the moderating influences of the lake waters. The ascent back from the shore is nearly a mile long, sometimes greater than that, while the elevation attained varies according to locality from 300 to 800 feet. The greatest altitude attained is at Barrington Summit, where the elevation is 88o feet above the waters of the lake. Crystal Springs, a resort of great fame, is 315 feet higher than the lake.

The center of population and improvement in what we may call Yates County proper, during the first fifteen or twenty years of its history, was in the vicinity of Seneca Lake, the place pitched upon by the Friends. Here was the central point of settlement in this region, and from thence it spread throughout the surrounding country, following the courses and occupying the lands which the pioneers considered best for personal interests. But Barrington appears not to have been touched or settled to any extent until the closing years of the first decade of this century. In fact, the pioneers of the region, in searching out the most desirable lands for their homes, appear to have given no thought of the elevated lands of this town as valuable for agriculture, but they turned toward Jerusalem, and Milo, Benton, northern Torrey, Starkey, and even Potter to a limited extent, as preferable to the ridge and gulleys, and dense woodlands of Barrington. True it is that the lands of Barrington offered no special inducements, no inviting future prospects to the pioneer, but the belief that the lands were poor or unproductive was an error, for there were and are as highly productive farms in this town as can be found in the county.

The pioneer of the town, according to common understanding and consent, was Jacob Teepies, better known as Colonel Teepies, who located in the town during the year 1800, and on what was known as Charles Williamson's road, leading from Bath to Geneva. Jacob Teepies was a pioneer, and a good and worthy citizen. He turned his habitation into a hotel, and kept public house for some years. Neighbors he had none for some time, but his house was an important point on the old stage road. Colonel Teeples was himself a worthy man, for he served two terms in the Assembly, representing Steuben County, and was also sheriff of the county one term. He was succeeded in the ownership of the hotel by Daniel Rapalee, after which he left the town. The latter continued for many years as landlord, as the first town meeting was held at his place in 1823.

From the time of his settlement in 1800 to 1806, Colonel Teepies was practically alone in the town, but the year last named witnessed the arrival of a number of families, among them being those of William Ovenshire, Oliver Parker, Thomas Bronson, Joseph Finton, William Coolbaugh, James Finley, James and Nehemiah Higby, John Carr, and possibly others whose names are not recalled. William Ovenshire came to Barrington in 1800, a young man with his wife, both determined upon making a home in the unoccupied township. He did this and more, he became an influential man in the region; was for many years constable and justice of the peace, and likewise a prominent church member. He was twice married and left a numerous family of children, who with their descendants are worthy residents of the town today.

Joseph Finton, one of the pioneers of 1806 in Barrington, was an old Revolutionary soldier. He made his settlement in the northeast section of the town, on the so called "poor lands," but he succeeded in building up a fine farm. Like William Ovenshire, Mr. Finton raised a. large family of children, ten in all, viz.: Mary, Phebe, Eleanor, Stephen, Charity, Isaac R., Joseph, Catharine, Susan and Amelia. The surname Finton is not now numerous in the town, but such as are here are among the respected and enterprising families of their locality.

Matthew Knapp, also a pioneer, was one of three brothers, the others. being John and Charles, who cleared farms and established homes in Barrington. Matthew came to this locality from Orange County. To himself and his wife, Mary Knapp, were born several children: Hannah, Sally, Christiana, Eliza, William, Levi and Jesse. The family name is still worthily represented in the town.

David Sunderlin was the head of a family of ten children who became residents of Barrington. The first visit to the town by the pioneer was made in 1813, and in the next year settlement was made by him and followed by his family. He located in the part of the town that has ever since been known as Sunderlin Hollow, and so called in honor of the pioneer. David Sunderlin was from Putnam County, and his settlement in this town was directly instrumental in bringing to the Hollow and its locality a number of other families from the same place. The children of David were Dennis, Joseph, Daniel, Tippett, Ira, Eli, Anna, Lydia, Elizabeth, and Polly or Mary. The late Delazon J. Sunderlin was the son of Dennis Sunderlin, by his marriage with Nancy Finch. Delazon became one of the most influential men that Barrington ever produced. He was a lawyer of ability, and at one time district attorney for the county, in 1851-52. His wife was Louisa Swarthout, by whom these children were born: Ursula, Emila A., Martin J., Edward D., John L. and Nancy E. Tippett Sunderlin built the first saw mill on Big Stream; Dennis built the second.

John Wright came to the town from old Putnam in 1812 or there abouts. He married Lydia Sunderlin, who bore him these children: Maria, Martha, Lydia, Erasmus and Aizada.

Lodowick Disbrow was one of the Putnam County contingent that settled Barrington. He came in 1813. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of David Sunderlin, by whom he had seven children: Dennis, Watson, Ira, Daniel, Anna, Maria and Mary Ann. John Boyce married the widow of Justus Bassett; and came to make their future home in this town in 1812. Polly, Julia and Allen Bassett, children of Justus Bassett, came with them. Their settlement was made on lot 16, in the eastern part of the town. John Boyce and Beulah {Bassett) Boyce had three children: Clorinda, Chauncey and Harriet. That locality of the town commonly known as East Hill was settled about 1814 by Orange Hollister. Subsequent settlers in the vicinity were Daniel Winters, Julius Stanton, Benjamin Osborn, Isaac H. Mapies, Jonathan H. Taylor and others, perhaps, whose names are forgotten.

The surname Crosby stands not only for thrift and enterprise in Barrington, but as well for piopeership. Nathan Crosby came from Putnam County in 1812, and settled in Sunderlin Hollow, near what afterward became known as Crystal Spring. After two years he went to Delaware County, but only to return again to Barrington some years later. His children were Selah, Mariam, Esther, Sarah, Abigail, Peter H. and Cyrus. Peter H. Crosby married Catharine Finton. Their children were Emelia Alanson, Joseph, Selah, Druzilla and Isaac. On Lake Keuka is a little hamlet called Crosby's, deriving its name from the industries built up by the sons of Peter H. Crosby. A succeeding portion of this chapter will furnish a more extended account of this locality.

Besides those already mentioned as being pioneer families of Barrington, there are perhaps others equally deserving of notice in this chapter. In the town today there are natives and descendants of early families, among whom may be recalled such names as Andrews, Baley, Bain, Bellis, Bullock, Chapman, Chase, Clark, Coons, Cornell, Edwards, Eggleston, Ellis, Fish, Florence, Freeman, Fry, Gardner, Gasper, Gibbs, Guthrie, Harpending, Horton, Houck, Jones, Kenyon, Lazear, Lee, Lewis, Lockwood, McDowell, McIntyre, Merrit, Millard, Miller, Mosher, Morse, Nangle, Rapalee, Robinson, Shannon, Shaw, Sherwood, Smith, Snook, Sornberger, Stanton, Steadwell, Stoughtenburg, Struble, Swarthout, Swarts, Taylor, Thayer, Townsend, Tupper, Tuttle, Vangorder, Walton, Watson, Warren, Welker, Wheeler, Winters, Wixson, Wortman and Wright, each of whom has in some manner by his or their acts contributed toward the building up and establishing the condition of prosperity which the peopie of the town at this time enjoy. But to take from the above list each individual and family and furnish separate genealogical records for them would involve the writer of town history in a maze of difficulty and perpiexity; in fact, it would be a task well nigh impossible of accomplishment, and would extend the volume of this chapter beyond all reasonable proportion.

The civil and social history of Barrington has been made in the every day life of its peopie; in the establishment of its churches and schools, and in the passing away of those who have finished their course. The present generation of dwellers in the town is engaged in the pursuits of agriculture and fruit growing, to which occupations reference is made on succeeding pages. The town has its hamlets and settlements, but none of these has population to warrant incorporation or the adoption of any form of municipal government.

The first town meeting of the freemen of Barrington was held in 1823 on the 24th of February, at the house of pioneer Daniel Rapalee; at which time officers were elected as follows: Supervisor, Richard Eddy; town clerk, Daniel Rapalee; collector, Joseph McCain; commissioners of highways, James A. Swarthout, Jeremiah Shaw and Lodowick Disbrow; commissioners of schools, Ephraim Bennett, Matthew McDowell and Robert Armstrong; assessors, Tippett Sunderlin, Ira Church and Matthew Knapp; overseers of the poor, Victor Putnam and Ezekiel Blue; constables, Elijah Baker, Joseph McCain and Peter Putnam, jr.; inspectors of schools, Dennis Sunderlin, Ira Sunderlin, Richard Eddy;. poundmaster, Daniel Rapalee.

It seems to be conceded that the chief officer in each town is the supervisor; and it has become an established custom to furnish a succession of the incumbents of this office from the organization of the town to the date of compilation. Conforming to this rule, the appended record gives the succession of supervisors of the town of Barrington, as follows: Richard Eddy, 1823; Alexander Patten, 1824-27; Ephraim Bennett, 1828; Asher Spicer, 1829; James A. Swarthout, 1830-31; Stephen Robinson, 1832-33; Ezekiel Blue, 1834-35; John Spicer, 1836-37; Levi Knox, 1838-39; Lodowick Disbrow, 1840-42; George W. Wolcott, 1843-44; Martin Holmes, 1845; John Wright, 1846-47; Archibald Campbell, 1848-49; Chauncey Boyce, 1850; Daniel Disbrow, 1851-52; William Kinne, 1853; Martin Holmes, 1854; Samuel V. Miller, 1855; Daniel Disbrow, 1856; Joseph F. Crosby, 1857; Samuel Williams, 1858; George N. Wilson, 1859; Abel Ward, 1860; Peter H. Crosby, 1861; Jonathan Taylor, 1862; Asa P. Fish, 1863-64; Delazon J. Sunderlin, 1865-66; Benson Smith, 1867; Jesse C. Knapp, 1866; Sackett B. Wixson, 1869; William McDowell, 1870; George Hels, 1871; Isaac Crosby, 1872; William S. Ellis, 1873; Benjamin F. Freeman, 1874; Robert Robson, 1875-76; Asa P. Fish, 1877; Isaac Crosby, 1878; George Hels, 1879; Gilbert Hopkins, 1880; Julius Stanton, 1881; Cyrus A. Lawrence, 1882; Henry Bullock, 1883; William Winters, 1884-86; Albert Ovenshire, 1887-88; Cyrus A. Lawrence, 1889; Jesse C. Knapp, 1890; John A. Gibbs, 1891.

Crystal Springs. - In the spring of 1865, when the country was crazy with oil speculations, a deer lick on lot 50 in Barrington affording rich appearances of this sort, a company was formed in the vicinity to bore for oil. At a depth of forty three feet the water came up so abundantly it was, difficult to go farther. This was soon found to have medicinal virtues for which it has acquired a great fame. Erasmus Wright and Benson Smith, becoming proprietors of the location, erected in 1867 a house of four stories, 100 feet long and 42 wide, with a two story wing 70 by 32 feet. The place has become a very popular resort and very mangy peopie who have tested the virtues of the water have believed themselves much benefited by its use. The flow of water is sufficient to fill a two inch tube constantly. A house was opened at the spring by Sylvester Bowers in 1866, before the larger structure was built. Shortly after this mammoth hotel had become popular it was compietely destroyed by fire, but the waters of this immense spring had become so popular, building lots had been laid out and some of them had been built upon. A post office had been located, a mail route established, a store built and in operation; real estate began to boom, consequently the hotel was rebuilt, but it had scarcely been finished before it met a similar fate and was compietely destroyed. Although this looked gloomy and discouraging, the spring had built up quite a little village, and the call was for another hotel, which, in the course of a year, Mr. Smith had well nigh built. A noted M.D. Deborah built a large sanitarium with all modern improvements, hot and cold baths, steam baths, etc., which was attached to the springs. This called a number from abroad for treatment. A park was laid out and wealthy men from a distance built cottages for summer resorts. Here the genial Fred Furnace held forth with his private, grounds, cottage and curiosities. A pavilion was built and things looked booming, when for a third time the hotel was destroyed by fire. This finished up the old proprietor, and the property went into the hands of a Mr. Rathbun, of Elmira, who enlarged the sanitarium, remodeled it, converted it into a hotel, and it was thrown open again to the public under the supervision of Colonel Baker for twos seasons; this last season of 1891 it flourished under the management of E. Gulick, of Starkey.

In the summer of 1891 a church building was erected at the Springs and dedicated in September of the same year, said church to be a union church for the use of those of all or of no denomination that chose to repair there for worship Sunday afternoon. The trustees were elected from different denominations; the pulpit to be supplied from the Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches of Dundee.

Church History of Barrington. - The only Methodist Church ever organized in Barrington, was organized in 1810. The Rev: B. G. Paddock gave them the first preaching. Among those admitted to church fellowship were William Ovenshire and Mary his wife, Joseph Gibbs and Mary his wife, Joseph Kanaan and wife, Peter Putnam and wife, Mrs Mary Norris, Mrs. Dean, Mrs. Shoutts, Mrs. Barnes, and James Taylor and wife. Among the early preachers were George Harman, Palmer Roberts, P. Bennett, R. Farley, L. Grant, J. Gilmore, William Snow, W. Kent, F. Draper, R. Parker, John Beggarly, and others; of 'a later period, Asa Story, J. Chamberlin, Ira Fairbanks, A. Steele, J. Dodge. The preaching was at Mr. Ovenshire's house for about fifteen years; afterwards at a near school house until 1842, when the present church was erected, but a short distanee from his own house. W. Ovenshire was the class leader about thirty years; he was then followed by his son Samuel. The church has had 150 members at one time. Some of the preachers still later were Rev. Mr. Graham, Rev. Mr. Hall, Rev. Mr. Lamon, also the Rev. Messrs. Walgermoth, Landreth, Edgar, J. Jarman, Dutcher, Weaver. At this time the Methodist people centered at a small village called Warsaw, near the middle of the town, and it was quite desirable that the house of worship should be as convenient as possible, and after some consultation it was decided to move it. Cousequently in the summer of 1878 it was moved about one mile west to Warsaw, where it still flourishes. Since this time its pastors have been Rev. George Moxey, Revs. Brown, Chubbuck, Hinman, Ward, and Jeroloman. The present pastor is N. A. Depew; the class leader, Benjamin Freeman, who succeeded S. Ovenshire. Cranston Hewitt, John Ovenshire, R. Plasted, B. Freeman, Morris Ovenshire, A. J. Sargent, M. Bellows, E. Sprague, A. Bane, S. Lamont, and others have served as trustees in later years. L Ovenshire, Morris Ovenshire, and John Ovenshire have served as clerk. The latter is still clerk. The present number of church members, about seventy five; congregation from fifty to 150. Valuation of church property $1,200.

In 1819 there was a Free Will Baptist Church organized by Elders Zebulon Dean and John Mugg. In consisted of eleven persons - Matthew Knapp, J. B. Retan, Mary Knapp, J. West, J. Swain, Margaret Swain, Hannah Knapp, Sarah Knapp, Christiana Knapp, Electa West, and Catharine Sales. John West was chosen clerk; Matthew Knapp elected deacon. The records previous to 1827 were destroyed by fire. At that time Elder John Stewart was their preacher. In 1828 Cyrus B. Feagles was expelled for drunkenness and profanity. In 1829 Zebulon Dean was their pastor and a John Pratt and Miss Benton became members. In 1830 H. Wisner and wife, T. Tuttle and wife, E. Feagles, and others also became members. The church continued to prosper until in 1833. They erected a meeting house in 1834. The church voted that Matthew Knapp have license to preach. In 1835 the society voted that J. Pratt have license to preach; this same year Elder J. Bignal baptized several members. In 1837 Elder E. Crane preached and baptized several persons. In 1841 Elder Beebe was the preacher. Regular meeting was kept up until 1847; soon after, the church was totally disbanded, and the building turned to other uses.

A council was called to organize a second Baptist Church of Wayne on March 20, 1819, and met at Frederick Townsend's. There were present delegates from other churches, as follows: Wayne, Elder E. Sanford, G. Bennett, Asa Yeoman; Puitney, Peter Powers, S. Drew; Second Milo, Elder Sutherland, John R. Powell, T. Bennett, Isaac Hedges, S. Sherman and others. Elder Powers was chosen moderator, Elder Bigelow, clerk. The following names are those of the constituted members of this church when organized: Janna Osgood, Ephraim Wright, Joseph Sunderlin, Eli Northrup, Deborah Baker, Anna Baker, Susan Sunderlin, Catherine Sutton, Esther House, Clarissa Brown, Martha Kirkham, Hannah Townsend, Lydia Sunderlin, Lydia Wright, 011a Roblyer, Bethia Burr, Parthena Walker, Jana Osgood, Meriam Bennett, Sally Demond, Betsey Booth, Elizabeth Disbrow. On the 27th of March, 1819, the first regular church meeting was held. At this meeting Janna Osgood was moderator, J. Sunderlin, standing clerk. They voted to hold the church meeting on the first Saturday of each month at John Wright's. Elder Sutherland supplied the church with preaching on Wednesday, April 6, 1819. The following were baptized: W. Wortman, John Wright, C. Knapp, S. Crosby, Eunice Knapp, Lydia Chase, Elizabeth Rarick, Fanny Wortman. Wednesday, March 12, 1819, James` A. Swarthout and Miss Jacoby were baptized. Sunday, August 1, 1819, Elder Sutherland baptized Daniel Sunderlin and his sons, Dennis and Daniel W., Tippet, Ira and Eli Sunderlin, and three of their wives, Nancy S., Hannah and Fanny Sunderlin, Azariah Finch and wife, Nanah Silsbee, Polly Dakin, Nancy Long and Polly Burr. September 5, 1819, Stephen Robinson and wife, and Almeda Sunderlin were baptized. Jonathan Ketchum joined the church by letter April 8, 1820, and in October, 1821, the "Church voted that Brother Ketchum have the privilege of preaching in the bounds of the church." They erected their meeting house in 1821 in Sunderlin Hollow, on the north side of the east and west road. The first meeting was held in this meeting house April 0, 1822. In February, 1822, they chose Ephraim Wright and Charles Knapp deacons. When the town of Wayne was divided the greater part of the church society fell in Barrington, hence the name was changed to the Barrington Baptist Church, which name it now bears. The meeting house is compietely torn down, and nothing remains to mark its former location but the tombstones of its silent dead. They now have their house of worship in the village of Wayne. This Baptist Church had adopted resolutions that no member of the Baptist Church should belong to a secret society. At about this time a number of their leading members joined some Masonic order and the church promptly expelled them, which created no little commotion in this and other Baptist Churches in the association and community. The second minister that served this church was Daniel Sherwood, and he was followed by Jonathan Ketchum, who preached for them over twenty years. Jonathan Ferris was also a preacher for them at an early period. A daughter of Elder Ketchum is the wife of Sacket B. Wixson, of this town.

Warsaw Baptist Church. - This church was organized at a meeting held at the house of John Moore, March 20, 1838, the following persons, mostly from the Barrington and Second Milo Churches, constituting the original membership: Tippett Sunderlin, Peter H. Crosby, Abraham Hopkins, Elam W. Hopkins, Thomas Hopkins, Samuel B. Seymour, John Moore, William Freeman, Robert E Baker, Stephen Robinson, John Smith, jr., Janna Osgood, Joseph Finton, James Baker, Stephen Smith, Larance Chubb, Susan Smith, Lucretia Kenyon, Rebecca Smith, Eliza Osgood, Thankful Finton, Almeda Sunderlin, Grace A. Beach, Naomi Hopkins, Rachel M. Hopkins, Rebecca Miles, Mary Oakley, Sabra Moore, Lucy Freeman, Aline Robinson, Sally Miles, Deborah Baker, Julia Baker, Mary S. Moore, Charity Baxter, Mahala Kinne. A meeting house was built in 1838, at a cost of $1,200. The church was supplied by Simon Sutherland the first six months until the house was erected. Reuben P. Lamb was the first pastor, and he served three years. The next was Horace Spencer, and after him David B. Olney preached for this church twelve years, then J. S. Webber, one year; Reuben P. Lamb, three and a half years; A. J. Buel, one year; George Baptist, nine months; Lewis Brasted followed. The first deacons were Stephen Robinson and Abraham Hopkins, and subsequently Tippett Sunderlin, Peter H. Crosby, John Wilkins, Richard Lawrence and Jacket B. Wixson and others have filled that office. John Moore was clerk three and one half years, Peter H. Crosby twenty one years, and Sacket B. Wixson seven years. The trustees have been: Tippett Sunderland, eight years; Philo Chubb, twenty three years; W. Kinne, ten years; P. H. Crosby, fifteen years; N. Kinne, three years; Samuel Williams, twelve years; R. E. Baker, one year; John Gibbs, two years; Darwin Sunderlin, three years; Jesse C. Knapp, eight years; Martin Wixson, five years; Daniel Tuttle, three years. The present house of worship was erected in 1867 and dedicated April 17, 1868. Its cost, with lot and furnishing, was $5,000. This church has had several important revivals during the fifty three years of its history. In January, 1872, James Parker began preaching for the church; he preached eight years, and was still their beloved pastor when he was called away by death. Rev. C. Wardner preached from the spring of 1880, to the spring of 1883; Rev. A. D. Clark, from the spring of 1853 to October 1, 1887; Rev. James Nobbs, from January 1, 1888, to August, 1891. The present pastor is Rev. Mr. Walker. In 1886 and 1887 the chureh built a new parsonage, valued at about $1,200. The church at present is in a healthy condition, the membership being 107, after dismissing by letter thirty six to help constitute a church at Crosby. The present deacons are Joseph Fenton, R. A. Lawrence, Frank McDowell, Ed. Crosby; present trustees, Michael Powleson, J. S. Bailey, William Crosby; present church clerk, Joseph Gibbs. S. B. Wixson had served as clerk, preceding J. Gibbs, for over twenty five years.

A Presbyterian Church was organized at Warsaw September 21, 1830. It had fifteen members in 1832, twenty nine in 1837, and ceased to exist in 1840. The clergymen of that faith who labored with them were Benjamin B. Smith, J. S. Reasoner, Samuel T. Babbitt, and George T. Everest. The American Home Missionary Society aided in their support.

The Baptist Church at Crosby. - The Lake Keuka Baptist Church was organized May 15, 1888, at Crosby. At this time there was a number of Baptists living in the vicinity of Crosby who were too far from any place of worship to be any ways convenient. They organized a Sabbath school at the Crosby school house, where they also had preaching for a time in the afternoon on Sabbath, by the pastor from the Warsaw Baptist Church. There became quite an awakening under the preaching of Rev. Mr. Clark; also a desire to have a house of worship in their midst. Consequently, this little band of worshipers organized. The Rev. James Nobbs was chosen moderator, and C. Guile, clerk. The Rev. Mr. Sherer, of Penn Yan, and Rev. C. M. Bruce, from Milo, assisted in the organization. The following are the names of the constituent members: Isaac Crosby and wife, Henry Bullock and wife, Hermon Bullock and wife, Fred Crosby and wife, Mrs. B. M. Crosby, R. W. Weltch, his wife and two daughters, Frank and Ida, William I. Carr and wife, A. P. Wortman and wife, Susan Baily, Libby Baily, Mrs. C. Knapp, Mrs. C. Swarthout, Sarah M. Edwards, George W. Edwards and wife, E. Edwards, C. E. Guile and wife, Mrs. G. W. Fenton, Eliza Hewitt, Mrs L. B. Gipson, Minnie Gipson, Mrs. L. Janes, Timothy Janes and daughter Alice, also his two sisters Lydia and Mary, Mrs. K. Plasted, Will Burt and wife, Mrs. Albert Amazon, L. J. Bellows, Hattie Lee, James Grace, Mrs. B Gardner. Thirty six members came from the Warsaw Baptist Church, six from the Second Milo Church, and two from Penn Yan. Isaac Crosby and Henry Bullock were chosen deacons, Isaac Hewett, Herman Bullock, and Amos Swàrthout, trustees, Leroy J. Bellows, church clerk. They proceeded at once to erect them a house, and now they have as neat a house of worship as they could desire; church property valued at about $3,000. A goodly number have also been added by baptism, and some by letter until the present membership is eighty seven. Pastor James Hobbs has preached for them from the organization of the church until the spring of 1891. The present pastor is Rev. Mr. Walker.

Post offices, Manufactures, etc. - There are three post offices in this town. Barrington post office, situated at Warsaw; Crystal Springs at the springs, and Crosby at Crosby Landing, on the shore of Keuka Lake. Crosby village is situated on the east shore of Keuka Lake, in Barrington. It has its store, church, post office and school house, two casket factories, and last but not least, a cluster of spiendid houses, backed on the east by the beautiful vine clad hills, and faced on the west by the silvery waters of Lake Keuka, the dream land of the soul through the heated season of the summer. It is in the midst of the grape growing region, and at this landing hundreds of tons of grapes are shipped annually. Some of the principal grape growers in the town are Joseph Crosby, J. Eagleston, I. Crosby, C. Plasted, estate G. Bullock, H. Bullock, E. Edwards, A. Amadon, S. Lamont, George Fenton, and hundreds of others. The basket factories deserve more than a passing notice. The proprietor of one is Hermon Bullock, that of the other George Fenton. Ten years ago the baskets were bunched up in dozens and sold by the dozen, a smalls pony business. But the demand has grown so rapidly that the mills have been furnished with all modern machinery for manufacturing baskets, and the largest logs are sawed and sliced out and turned until ready for the baskets; and this year the output of baskets from both factories is 1,500,000, giving employment to twenty five or thirty men and to fifty or sixty girls. The Bullock mills do the sawing and cutting for the McMath and Morgan factories at Penn Yan. The Fenton mills furnish the Niagara Grape Company with 100,000 baskets annually. Peaches, currants, and raspberries are raised to quite an extent, and other small fruit, so that evaporators may be counted by the dozen all over the town. Among the largest raspberry growers of the town at present are Delmer Knapp and D. B. Cornell. The largest apple orchard is owned by D. B. Cornell, consisting of fifteen acres and twenty varieties. There are six steamboat landings in Barrington: Fenton, North and South Crosby, J. Eagleston, Hawk, and S. Eagleston.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy