Local Improvement Companies. - Of this class of institutions the village has but four, which will be treated
in the order of seniority.
The Penn Yan Gas Light Company was incorporated May 12, 1860, with a capital stock of $15,000. The corporators
were Darius O. Ogden, Levi O. Dunning, George McAllister, S. H. Welles, John McDougall, and Charles M. Stark. The
first officers were D. A. Ogden, president; S. H. Welles, secretary and treasurer. Since the organization the capital
stock of the company has been twice increased; first, in August, 1860, to $12,000, and again in June, 1868, to
$24,750. The company now has about six miles of main pipe. Its principal works are on Jackson street. The present
board of directors is as follows: William T. Morris, Thomas W. Summers, W. H. Fox, Edson Potter, and Morgan D.
Tracy. Officers, William T. Morris, president and treasurer; Thomas W. Summers, secretary and superintendent.
The Lake Keuka Ice Company (Limited), was incorporated March 30, 1888, having a capital stock of $3,500, by Daniel
Beach, Oliver G. Shearman, Samuel S. Ellsworth, Perley P. Curtis, Thomas G. Ross, Morgan D. Tracy, and William
T. Morris. The officers were O. G. Shearman, president; S. S. Ellsworth, vice president; P. P. Curtis, treasurer;
W. T. Morris, secretary; Morgan D. Tracy, general manager. From the time of organization to the present there has
been no change either in the direction or officers of the company.
The Penn Yan Opera House Company (Limited) was incorporated in 1889, having capital stock of $10,000 in 200 shares;
but the capital stock by no means represents the total value of the company's real and personal property. As its
name implies, the purpose for which the company was organized was the building of a suitable and commodious opera
house in the village of Penn Yan; and that the designs of its corporators and stockholders were carried out to
the full satisfaction of every patron of such institutions, is amply attested on each occasion of a public assemblage
beneath its roof. In fact, it is a common remark, and one founded in absolute truth, that no similar village in
the State of New York has a superior, more elegant, or better equipped place of amusement or entertainment than
has the village of Penn Yang in the Sheppard Opera House. As has been stated, the nominal capital stock of the
company is $10,000, but the property with its franchises represents an investment of $23,000, an amount that was
mainly contributed by the public-spirited citizens of the village. The plans for the house were prepared by Leon
H. Lempert, of Rochester. The builders were H. O. Dorman & Co., of Corning. The opera house has a seating capacity
of 800. The work of construction was commenced in 1889, and completed in 1890. It was then christened "Sheppard
Opera House" in honor of Morris F. Sheppard, its principal founder, and one of the largest stock owners of
the company. The directors of the company are Morris F. Sheppard, John H. Lown, Hanford Struble, Samuel S. Ellsworth,
James MacKellar, Charles V. Bush, William T. Morris, T. S. Burns, Edward Kendall. Officers, Morris F. Sheppard,
president; J. H. Lown, vice president; W. T. Morris, secretary; C. V. Bush, treasurer; C. H. Sisson, manager.
The Penn Yang Electric Light and Power Company was incorporated in August, 1891, with a capital stock of $100,000.
The directors are Henry Russell, Calvin Russell, H. Q. Stimpson, Calvin Russell, Br., C. T. Birkett, H. L. Woodruff;
and W. S. Bruen. Officers, H. O. Stimpson, president; Calvin Russell, vice-president and treasurer; W. S. Bruen,
secretary. The electric lighting system was introduced in Penn Yang in 1889, and the present company is the outgrowth
of the firm that owned and managed the original plant.
Societies and Orders -Keuka Lodge No. 149, I. O. O. F., was originally instituted May, 2, 1845, having these charter
members: Andrew Oliver, Peter S. Oliver, John Gregg, George R. Youngs, and Samuel H. Welles. First officers: Andrew
Oliver, N. G.; George R. Youngs, V. G.; Peter S. Oliver, secretary; Samuel H. Welles, treasurer; John L. Lewis,
jr., warden; Charles G. Judd, conductor.
The first twelve years of the lodge's history were exceedingly prosperous, but for the next score or so of years
the society appears to have suffered from inactivity and want of attention, which nearly proved fatal to its existence.
A new charter was granted March 18, 1879, and the lodge became re-established upon a permanent basis. The char.
terees under the new dispensation were George D. Stewart, Charles N. Burrill, Joseph T. Slaughter, James B. Norris,
Moses W. Eastman, and George Kinner. The officers elected at that time were George D Stewart, N. G.; Charles N.
Burrill, V. G.; Joseph T. Slaughter, secretary; Moses W. Eastman, treasurer.
Succession of Past Grands (since re-organization): E. R. Bordwell, S. B. Briggs, G. H. Brown, P. W. Danes, W. B.
Davies, C. Elmendorf, E. G. Hopkins, G. F. Hopkins, C. Hunter, A. Jessup, George B. Kinner, G. S. Klingman, J.
T. Knox, R. B. Lefferts, F. H. Lynn, J. F. Morris, J. B. Norris, H. W. Perkins, R. C. Peters, J. F. Randolph, D.
C. Robinson, R. F. Scofield, G. D. Stewart, N. S. Dailey, A. C. Harwick, W. R. McFarren, George W. Miller.
Keuka Lodge has a present membership of ninety persons, and is officered as follows: John T. Knox, district deputy
and grand master; George W. Miller, N. G.; Frank M. Royce, V. G.; Ralph N. Cole, secretary; Arthur Jessup, permanent
secretary; C. Elmendorf, treasurer.
Penn Van Encampment of Patriarchs, No. 98, I. O. O. F., was organized in pursuance of charter dated April 6, 1882,
having for charter members George D. Stewart, John L. Lewis, Joseph T. Slaughter, Levi O. Dunning, Charles N. Burrill,
Charles Lee, James B. Norris, and George B. Kinner. The first principal officers were these: George Stewart, C.
P.; Charles Lee, H. P.; Joseph T. Slaughter, scribe; L. O. Dunning, treasurer. The encampment has a present membership
of fifty, and is officered as follows: Benjamin S. Briggs, C. P.; John J. Hood, H. P.; William Battler, S. W.;
William Holloway, J. W.; Elmendorf, scribe; George W. Miller, treasurer.
J. B. Sloan Post No. 93, G. A. R., was granted a charter on April 22, 1869. The original members were Martin S.
Hicks, Abb W. Shear-man, Jere S. Weed, George Titus, S. Harvey Ackley, Hanford Storable, Truman N. Burrill, J.
Lorin Robbins, Cassius N. McFarren, Josiah C. Baker. The first officers were Martin S. Hicks, commander; A. W.
Shearman, S. V. C.; Jere S. Weed, J. V. C.; Charles B. Turner, adjutant; S. H. Ackley, Q.M.; T. N. Burrill, O.
of G.; J. L. Robbins, O. of L.; Hanford Struble, chaplain.
Although Sloan Post began its existence and history under the most favorable auspices, it was not long before disseritions
found their way into its ranks with such result that its usefulness was virtually distroyed and its life practically
at an end. But the necessity of a G. A. R. organization was so strongly manifested on several occasions that a
number of the older members united upon its reestablishment. Upon their petition the charter was reissued on the
17th of May, 1872. Therefore it may be said that the old society has never lost its identity. From the time of
reorganization Sloan Post has been one of the strongest orders having an abiding place at the county seat. Luring
its existence the total muster roll has shown 215 members, the present number being too. The present officers are
these: Commander, John F. Randolph; S. V. C., Charles H. Lunning; J. V. C., Russell H. Carr; adjutant, Ed ward
Kendall; surgeon, Lavid Philbrooks; chaplain, O. R. Towner; Q. M., Philo H. Conklin; O. of L., L. C. Robinson;
O. of G., James Taylor; Q. M. S., G. B. Barden; Sergent Major, John H. Veeder; delegate, Charles Kelley. Past commanders,
Martin S. Hicks, 1869-71; C. N. McFarren, 1872-73; Jerry S. Reed, 1874-75; Morris F. Sheppard, 1876; L. C. Robinson,
1877; H. M. Mingay, 1878,1884; John F. Randolph, 1879-80, 1891; James M. Smith, 1881; Hanford Struble, 1882-83;
Richard H. Andrews, 1885; Perry W. Lanes, 1886-88; George W. Hobart, 1889-90.
Minneseta Lodge No. 234, K. of P., was chartered July 28,1886, with original members as follows: L. L. Turner,
William M. Johnson, S. B. Ables, John T. Andrews, 2d, Edward Kendall, George R. Cornwell, Theodore G. Ross, James
A. Thayer, William C. Allen, Charles C. Hayes, Bert Stiles, A. H. Veasey, Frank R. Knapp, A. C. Clube, Toby Bush,
H. A. Struble. The Pythian Knights are ranked among the stronger and more influential orders of the village, the
present members numbering ninety, and of whom nearly all are in good standing in the society. The lodge rooms,
too, are the best in the locality. The present officers of the lodge are as follows: F. N. Swarts, P. C.; H. A.
Struble, C. C.; H. C. Sherman, V. C.; Stephen Bailey, P.; J. A. Amsbury, K. of R. S.; Charles Bell, M. F.; J. J.
McInerney, M. E.; John Ackley, M. A.; Charles Jobbitt, I. G.; William O. Brien, O. G.
Harwick Lodge No. 152, A. O. U. W., was instituted May 3, 1878, with charter members as follows: William W. Eastman,
Arthur S. Bush, Charles Bell, George F. Morgan, Lavid B. Gray, Horace C. Guthrie, Lelos A. Bellis, M. E. Botsford,
C. Irving Paige, Charles H. Sisson, Charles F. Morgan, E. H. Hopkins, C. Elmendorf, Francis E. Murphy, Fred N.
Miller, and William A. Henderson. First officers: P. M. W., Andrew C. Harwick; M. W., H. C. Guthrie; foremam, L.
G. Gray; overseer, C. W. Morgan; recorder, Charles Elmendorf; financier, E. H. Hopkins; recorder, C. H. Sisson;
G., M. E. Botsford; I. W., C. I. Paige; O. W., Charles Bell.
Harwick Lodge has a present membership of forty four persons. Its present officers are as follows: P. M. W., William
Holloway; M. W., Gilbert A. Brown; foreman, George B. Lunning; overseer, Taylor Lunn; recorder, John T. Gaige;
financier, A. C. Harwick; recorder, H. C. Guthrie; G., C. Elmendorf; I. G., E. B. Sample; O. G., Allen Meade.
Kenka Council No. 179, R. T. of T., was chartered February 2, 1889. Its charter members were F. S. Sampson, Ella
F. Sampson, Eda L. Comings, George A. Comings, S. N. Thayer, Minerva Thayer, Amelia A. Carroll, William F. Whaites,
I. J. Wilmarth, A. G. Tompkins, Cornelia S. Tompkins, A. J. Preston, William H. Moore, C. E. Brockway, Lewis Radder,
Cora Radder, A. M. Todd. First officers, A. G. Tompkins, S. C.; A. M. Todd, V. C.; C. E. Brockway, chaplain; Ella
F. Sampson, recording secretary; A. J. Preston, financial secretary; George A. Comings, treasurer; Lewis Radder,
herald; Cora Radder, deputy herald; S. N. Thayer, guard; William F. Whaites, sentinel; F. S. Sampson, medical examiner.
Metawissa Tribe No. 124, I. O. of R. M., was organized in pursuance of a charter granted the 23d Sun of the Hunting
Moon. The charter members were Frank M. Fletcher, George S. Klingman, Fred S. Sayer, John Hood, George Brown, W.
T. Murphy, Homer Pelton, J. M. Smith, Isaac Sands, Eugene Harrington, John Ball, James Ball, Layton Coons, Charles
Welles, Charles Southerland, Lavid L. Taylor, Wilson Taylor, Edward Lunning.
Masonic. - Having an abiding place in the village of Penn Yan are four Masonic organizations named and known respectively
as Milo Lodge No. 108, Penn Yan Chapter No. 100, Ontario Council No. 23, and Jerusalem Commandery No. 17. Under
all ordinary circumstances each of these societies should receive in this place the same mention that is made of
other societies, but inasmuch as Freemasonry in Yates County is made the subject of special chapter in the present
volume, the necessity of extended mention here is avoided. To all, therefore, who are interested in the order,
the request is hereby made that they refer to a preceding chapter of general history.
Mannfacturing Industries of Penn Yan. - That branch of commercial industry commonly called manufacturing has never
succeeded in gaining a substantial and permanent foothold in this village. This may in a measure be accounted for
in the fact that the locality unfortunately possesses but a single stream capable of furnishing natural power to
any considerable extent; but the stream which furnishes power - the outlet of Keuka Lake - however limited its
capacity, is nevertheless taxed to its utmost degree, and but little of its water passes to Seneca Lake without
having been utilized by at least half a dozen large factories. However, the majority of these manufactories are
outside the corporate limits of the village, and are institutions of the town of Milo rather than of Penn Yang.
The principal manufacturing establishment of the village is the industry owned and operated by the present firm
of Russell & Birkett, and known as the Penn Yan mills. These mills comprise two large frame buildings, each
having extensions or additions of less size. One is known as a roller flour mill, and the other as a feed and grist
mill. They stand on almost historic ground, for here Lavid Wagener first diverted the waters of the outlet in pioneer
times, and while at work building the dam across the stream Mr. Wagener contracted a cold that ultimately resulted
in his death. The work was afterward taken up and completed by Abraham Wagener, who also built the pioneer mills
on the privilege
The old property was owned by Mr. Wagener for some years, and then passed by sale to Aaron Remer, John Sloan, Abner
Woodworth, and John J. Rosenbury, the purchase price being about $25,000. Next Ezekiel Casner became proprietor
of the mill on the north side of the stream. He came to the village in 1824, and was employed by Abraham Wagener,
who was his uncle. John Scheetz I afterward came to Penn Yan and became partner with Mr. Casner, and the firm of
Casner & Scheetz, proprietors of the old " brown mill," was of many years standing, and of excellent
reputation in the county. The death of Mr. Casner, in 1882, ended the partnership, after which the property together
with the mill south of the outlet was sold to the " syndicate," comprising John T. Andrews 2c1, Calvin
Russell, W. H. Fox, Oliver G. Shearman, Seneca L. Pratt, and P. P. Curtis, which company made great improvements
in the property and buildings in 1883. But the syndicate company became involved in some misunderstanding, with
result in an action in partition and the final sale of the plant to John T. Andrews 2d. The latter with Mr. Russell
as partner operated both mills for some time, when Mr. Russell became its owner, afterward associating with himself
in the business his son in law, Clarence T. Birkett, under the name of Russell & Birkett.
The old " white mill," built by Abraham Wagener, was sold by him to Jeremiah Gillett, and from the
latter descended to his sons, Jeremiah S. and Richard Gillett. This property has since undergone more changes in
proprietorship than did its companion property on the opposite side of the stream. Among the persons interested
in its operation can be recalled the names of Edward Gillett, James Longwell, Oliver F. Reed, James Forbes, and
William W. Armfield, each of whom were after the Gillett Brothers, and before its sale to the syndicate, which
last company rebuilt the entire structure and replaced the white mill with the present large roller mill. Since
1883 the history of the latter has been identical with the grist and feed mill.
St. John's Mill, so called, stands about half a mile down the outlet, on a site originally occupied by a saw mill,
but afterwards put to divers uses by many proprietors in succession. Joseph St. John became interested in the property
about 1859, when he and A. W. Franklin built a grist mill, which was destroyed by fire. Before that time, however,
Mr. St. John operated it as a saw mill. The present grist mill replaced the former building of the same character,
and has since been operated as above named.
Above the St. John Mill stands an old unoccupied factory, on a site where the waters of the outlet were diverted
for manufacturing purposes nearly if not quite three quarters of a century ago. The more recent use of the privilege
has been in operating a planing mill, sash and door factory, known as the Armstrong mill.
Near the property last described, and a few rods further up the stream is another factory now in disuse. Herd formerly
stood a plaster mill, much in use during the canal days, but afterward turned into a basket factory. Its last occupant
was A. W. Franklin.
The present Penn Yan planing mill, and in fact the only completely equipped industry of its kind in the village,
is that operated under the name of M. B. Miller & Co., limited. The plant on Lake street was first established
by John S. Sheppard in 1870, and by him operated in connection with his extensive lumber business. The building,
which was of frame construction, was burned in 1884, and replaced by a more substantial brick structure during
the same year. In 1876 the plant was leased by Mr. Sheppard to Miller & Holloway, but after the fire the property
and leasehold came back to the owner of the fee. Since that time Mr. Miller has acted in the capacty of manager
under the firm style first above mentioncd.
Potter, Kinne & Kendall is the firm name of one of the largest lumber dealers of the village or county. Their
principal offices and yards are on Benham street, with a second point on the Northern Central Railroad. In connection
with their lumber business the firm also has a planing and matching mill. The present firm is the successor to
the old partnership of R. B. Lefferts and Edson Potter.
The Commercial Iron Works Company was organized in 1872, with a capital stock of $15,000. J. H. Benton was its
president; John Whittaker, secretary and treasurer; and John Lynn, superintendent. In 1876 the principal machine
shop was erected, it being in size 35 x 84 feet. The foundry adjoining is 4o x 40 feet in diminsions. The present
officers are the practical owners and managers of the company's works. John Whittaker is the president; John Lynn,
secretary and treasurer; and Fred H. Lynn, general foreman. The company employs ten men. The shops are on the south
side of Lake street, in rear.
Prior to 1872 Timothy Brigden was the owner of a carriage and wagon factory which stood on Jacob street. In the
year named the property was burned, after which the firm of Beebe, Whitfield & Co. became owners of the land,
upon which were erected the present extensive buildings which comprise the factory plant of George Beebe.
Their manufactures were the same as previously produced by Mr. Brigden. Messrs. Beebe & Whitfield were partners
for about eleven years, Mr. Beebe then becoming sole proprietor. He is a general manufacturer of carriages, but
his specialty is the "Dandy Speeding Cart," a vehicle of improved pattern and quality, and one that is
received with great favor by the driving fraternity.
The carriage works of Whitfield & McCormick are located on Jacob street near Main. The partnership comprises
William H. Whitfield and Michael McCormick, each of whom is a practical man in his line of trade. The firm was
established in May, 1888. Its general business is the manufacture of fine carriages, carts, cutters, etc., together
with general repair work. Mr. Whitfield has charge of the office and business management, while Mr. McCormick is
the practical man in the manufacturing department.
The Parks Manufacturing Company is the almost direct outgrowth of a still older business industry carried on by
James Cooley in the line of wagon making. Mr. Parks succeeded Mr. Cooley in 1853, and two years later took Deacon
J. D. Applegate as partner. In 1857 Mr. Applegate retired, and Scherer and Caton succeeded, the firm becoming Parks,
Sherer & Co. The new partners soon retired, and Mr. Parks continued until 1876, and then sold out to Birdsall
& Co., who changed the plant to a threshing machine factory. After this sale Mr. Parks built a shop in rear
of Cornwell's Opera House and carried on the carriage business until 1885, when he re occupied the old stand on
Head street. The firm now was Parks & Allington, but two months after C. V. Bush was made a partner, continuing
only thirty days. Then the Parks Manufacturing Company was formed, comprising Marvin Parks and C. W. Morgan.
The firm of O. G. Shearman & Co., maisters, was organized in 1882 as successors in part to the firm of Shearman
& Lewis, grain dealers. The latter partnership was formed as early as May 1, 1860, since which time it has
continued to carry on business. The firm of O. G. Shearman & Co. comprised Oliver G. Shearman, John Lewis,
E. C. Dwelle, and George R. Youngs. Under this ownership the "Yates County Malt House" was built in 1882.
As its name indicates, the purpose of this erection was the manufacture of barley into malt. The building has a
capacity of 75,000 bushels. In 1888 Mr. Youngs withdrew from the firm, whereupon the name and style was changed
to Shearman, Lewis & Dwelle, as at present known.
The old malt house standing on the street leading from the Knapp House to the locks was built in 1856, by George
R. Youngs, Daniel Foster, Daniel W. Streeter, and Jared C. Munson, under the firm name of D. W. Streeter &
Co. Mr. Munson soon dropped out of the concern, and the name was then changed to George R. Youngs & Co. Mr.
Streeter subsequently failed, and under the style of Youngs & Foster the business of malting was continued
until about 1866 or 1867, when Captain Henry Tuthill and " Doc." Tuthill, became its proprietors by purchase.
Later the firm became H. Tuthill & Son, and so continued until the failure of the concern in 1890.
Robert C. Hewson's feed mill on Sucker Brook was established in 1890. The extensive evaporating plant owned and
operated by the same proprietor was started about 1880.
The large grape basket factory owned by S. L. Pratt was built during the spring of 1891. It stood at the foot of
Monell street, and was eighty two by thirty five feet and three stories high. This was the best equipped mill of
its kind in the county, but it was destroyed by an unfortunate fire during the latter part of August, 1891.
The carriage and cart works of T. S. Watrous were put in operation on Stark avenue in February, 1890. They furnish
employment to five men.
The Struble Kidney and Liver Cure Company was incorporated in 1890, having a capital stock of $50,000. The object
of the company was and is to furnish to suffering humanity a prompt and sure cure for diseases of the kidneys and
liver. The medicine prepared is the same as used for fifteen years by Dr. H. A. Struble in his professional work.
The incorporators of the company were Hanford Struble, H. N. Huntington, James Spicer, Henry Sherman, Fred U. Swarts,
M. B. Shaw, and H. A. Storable. The officers are, Fred U. Swarts, president; M. B. Shaw, vice president; H. C.
Sherman, secretary; H. N. Huntington, treasurer; and H. A. Struble, general manager.
The Hammondsport Vintage Company was established in Penn Yan in 1886, by Charles Hunter, Frank Hallet and Charles
M. Rarrick. In 1887 Mr. Rarrick became sole proprietor and has so continued to the present time. Originally the
place of business of the firm and company was in the so called concrete building on Canal street, but with the
building of the Cold Storage block the factory and plant were transferred to that place. The products of the company
are sweet and dry wines and brandies; also they are dealers in champaigns. The cellar has a capacity of 30,000
gallons of wine.
Borgman's Cider Mill and Listillery was built by Barney Borgman in 1869. The manufactures of this mill are cider
and champaign. Capacity, 20,000 gallons.
The Penn Yan Hub and Spoke Works were established in the fall of 1888, by E. A. Price & Co., for the manufacture
of hubs and spokes of all kinds, and incidental to the leading product, as a custom saw mill. Sixteen men are employed
in and about the shops on Head street.
Hotels. - A preceding portion of the present chapter has referred at some length to the hotel interests and proprietors
of the past in the village of Penn Yan; wherefore it becomes the province of this division of the subject to refer
only to such public houses as are in existence at the present time, and that in the most brief manner.
The hotels of Penn Yan are numerous, almost " too numerous to mention." This happens to be a locality
in which the most liberal construction is placed upon the meaning of the existing laws, rendering it quite difficult
to define just what does or does not constitute a hotel, tavern or inn. The object in establishing so many hotels
in the village is plain and perfectly well understood, and is a subject that needs no comment in this place. Many
of them will receive no mention in this work.
The Benham House is the largest and most convenient of the hotels of the village. It was built soon after the burning
of the old American, and has been one of the leading public houses of Penn Yan from that time until the present.
It was named for its proprietor, and still holds the original appellation, notwithstanding the changes of proprietorship.
The Shearman House, on Elm street, was so named by its proprietor, Charles Shearman. The house was established
many years ago by " Aran " Tuell, a local celebrity, but succeeding proprietors have made frequent additions
to the building. The present owner and proprietor, Fred U. Swarts, purchased the property in 1888, becoming its
landlord January 1st of that year.
The Knapp House was formerly and originally called the Mansion House. It was built for a dwelling in 1816, by Abraham
Wagener, but after he moved to Bluff Point the house was remodeled and made into a hotel. It became the Knapp House
through the ownership of Oliver C. Knapp, who not only materially enlarged the building, but veneered it with brick.
Since the death of Mr. Knapp the property has been managed as an estate.
The Central House, on Jacob street, was established by Charles Kelly soon after he returned from the army. He bought
the property in 186o. The old building was burned in 1872, after which the present substantial brick hotel building
was erected. The Central House has a capacity for accommodating forty guests.
The other hotels of the village, which are public houses for the reception and accommodation of travelers, are
the Hayes House, located near the Northern Central depot, the Suburban Hotel on Head street, in the extreme north
part of the village, and the Hyland House, in Maiden Lane.
Mercantile Business Interests. - In the village of Penn Yan the mercantile interests in every branch of trade are
well represented, and while it is quite natural that every representative should believe his particular line to
be overdone in the matter of competition, still to the unprejudiced and candid observer this does not appear to
be the case. The mercantile business of Penn Yan is principally transacted on the thoroughfares Main, Elm and Jacob
streets, with other stores scattered throughout the place. It is neither the purpose nor the intention of this
division of the present chapter to advertise in any manner the business of Penn Yan merchants, but if any tradesman
can derive any benefit or advantage from the mention of his name or business in this connection he is certainly
welcome to the good that may come out of it.
The book and stationery trade is fairly well represented. The most extensive dealer in this line is George R. Cornwell,
at No. 39 Main street: Mr. Cornwell embarked in this business in October, 858, as successor to E. Lenton. He purchased
the building soon afterward, and about 1895 fitted up and equipped the Cornwell Opera House, occupying therefor
the rooms over his and the adjoining store. Mr. Cornwell is also an extrensive dealer in sewing machines and musical
instruments. The other booksellers and stationers of the village are H. C. Guthrie, H. Sherwood and Mrs. A. V.
The leading grocers of the village are F. W. Steelman, Lucius P. Wagener, Charles Hunter, McMath & Morgan,
MacKay & Co., Norman Lockwood, Johnson & Hazen, B. F. Fenner, John Brown, T. S. Burns, C. W. Coffin, Eaton
Brothers, McCarty Bros., and M. W. Phalen.
The general dry goods trade is represented by tour large and substantial houses. The oldest of these is the present
firm of T. O. Hamlin & Co., at No. 44 Main street. This business house was first established in Penn Yan by
Myron Hamlin, a former merchant of Lundee, then known as Harpending's Corners. Mr. Hamlin established himself where
Stewart & Burnham's shoe store now is, but soon afterward moved the stock to the opposite side of Main street,
about where L. A. Ogden's hardware store is located. In 1842 Abraham F. Hazen, who was a former clerk in the store,
became Mr. Hamlin's partner, having charge of a branch store at Rushville for a single year, and afterward locating
at the county seat in connection with the principal business. After five years of pleasant and profitable partnership
Mr. Hazen retired from the firm of Hamlin & Hazen and established himself in trade. In 1858 Mr. Hamlin occupied
the store now owned by his son, and as his sons arrived at full age they were associated with him in the business.
The firm name thus became M. Hamlin & Sons, and so continued until two had retired and Theodore O. Hamlin only
remained, when the style of M. Hamlin & Son was adopted. This continued until the death of the senior member
in 1886. Theodore conducted the business thereafter until February, 1890, when H. C. Underwood became his partner,
under the present firm name. George E. Hamlin, one of the sons, left the firm in 1865 and went into the carpet
business in New York. Another son, Charles Hamlin, engaged in business in Syracuse, leaving the firm in 1877. Abraham
F. Hazen, above mentioned, went to Dundee a poor boy, in 1833, walking a part of the distance from Chemung County
to that place. He was taken by Mr. Hamlin as clerk at $5 per month, increased to $7 the second year. He was Mr.
Hamlin's clerk also in Penn Yan from 1837 to 1842, when he was taken in as partner. After conducting the Rushville
branch store one year he came back to the county seat and continued in the main house until about 1848, when he
bought the dry goods stock of Laniel S. Marsh, which business he managed successfully about five or six years,
then selling out and going to New York. In the latter city he advanced through the grades of clerkship and managing
clerk to finally becoming the leading and senior member of the large house of Hazen, Todd & Co., jobbers of
dry goods. About four years ago Mr. Hazen retired from active business. (Here is another apt illustration of the
possibleities open to every earnest, industrious young man )
The present firm of Lown & Co. is composed of J. H. Lown and H. J. McAdams. Their business is the indirect
outgrowth of that established in 1871 by Jones & Lown, then being located where is now T. F. Wheeler's drug
store. In 1877 the firm name changed to J. H. Lown. & Co., and still later to the present name. The Lown block
was built in 1889-90, and occupied by the firm. Their stock includes dry goods, carpets, millinery, crockery and
The dry goods house and firm of Roenke & Rogers was established in April, 1881, by Julius R. Roenke and Jerome
L. Rogers. Their place of business is at the corner of Main street and Maiden Lane.
Cassius N. McFarren became a dry goods merchant of Penn Yan in September, 1891, by the purchase of the stock and
former business of George Cramer.
Dealers in Lrugs and Medicines. - The village has four substantial representatives of this branch of trade, viz.:
Theodore F. Wheeler, established in 1864, as successor to Lyman Munger; W. W. Quackenbush, established 1867, as
successor to Lapham & Bullock; E. Fenton, April, 1877, successor to Miles Lewis; Frank Quackenbush, established
Hardware Lealers. - Hollowell & Wise, J. C. Shannon & Son, Wixson & Woodruff, L. O. Ogden.
Clothiers, Furnishers, and Merchant Tailors. - McAdams Brothers, McMahon Bros., Seligman & McNiff, Marks Bros.,
the Globe Clothing store, E. Lonahue, M. C. Stark, John Walters, Charles Bandel, Jacob Lavis.
Boot and Shoe Lealers. - J. Henry Smith, Wagener Bros., Stewart & Burnham, A. Leckerman,
Fair Stores. - A. J. Obertin, Hood & Co., Singer & Strong.
Agricultural Implements. - J. C. Shannon & Son, C. C. Hicks, James M. Smith, L. O. Ogden, Hollowell & Wise,
Wixson & Woodruff, A. F. Stark.
Cigar Manufactnrers. - James Meade, John Birmingham, Joseph F. Markey, C. A. Mansen, Peter Curran.
Furniture Dealers. - Clarence H. Knapp, A. C. Kiube.
Undertakers. - Clarence H. Knapp, Hopkins Brothers.
Elevators. - Freeman & Barber, George Bruen.
Coal Lealers. - S. S. Ellsworth, Freeman & Barber, Sheppard Comings Co., Potter, Kinne & Kendall.
Harnessmakers and Lealers. - Arthur Jessup, A. V. Masten, J. F. Bridgman, William Hollowell, L. P. Wickham, William
Insurance Agents. - Norris S. Lailey, A. C. Harwick, H. M. T. Ayers, Bush & Co., Silas Kinne, M. F. Hobart,
W. P. Gaylord.
Jewelers. - E. H. Hopkins, S. B. Lunton.
Livery and Boarding Stables. - W. T. Beaumont, Emmet Hazard, Patrick Burns, C. H. Southerland.
Lumber Lealers - Potter, Kinne & Kendall, Eugene Lewis, Charles L. Welles.
Meat Markets. - Charles S. Bell, William McEvoy, Hyland & Caviston, James Lolan, L. A. Sprague, W. H. Stark,
Gilbert Carroll, A. & O. Carroll.
Nurseryman. - Justus O. Rupert.
Painters and Glaziers. - D. Clinton Robinson, George W. Kritzer, Thomas, I. M. Ballard.
Dentists. - H. R. Phillips & Wrean, Charles Elmendorf, R. W. Reynolds, W. W. Smith, O. S. Voak.
Photographers. - Frank Carey, Fred F. Crum.
Bakers. - C. R. Robinson, George Zeluff.
[Return to part 1 of Penn Yan History.]