HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF POTTER.
ALONG the several divisions of Yates County, the town of Potter occupies a position on the northern boundary,
abutting Ontario County. Its western boundary is Middlesex, its parent township; on the south is Jerusalem, and
on the east Benton. According to the original survey, the greater part of the territory now of Potter was included
by township eight, second range, but this was before the town had acquired either name or organization.
In the organization of the towns of old Ontario County, the territory now of Potter, together with Middlesex and
other territory, was organized into the jurisdictional district of Augusta, but the name was afterward changed
to Middlesex, and so continued until Potter was organized within its substantially present boundary, and given
a name as one of the towns of Yates County. This was done April 26, 1832. But instead of including the exact area
of township eight, second range, in the town of Potter, for the convenience of inhabitants residing on the west
part of number eight, a strip of land half a mile in width, and extending along the west boundary of the township,
remained a part of Middlesex. In 1856, again for the convenience of inhabitants, one and one half square miles
of land in the southeast corner of Middlesex was taken from the last named town and annexed to Potter. Therefore
Potter as now constituted embraces about thirty four and one half square miles of territory, or its equivalent
in acres about 22,000.
The principal water course of the town of Potter is Flint Creek, a stream of some magnitude, which crosses the
town from southwest to northeast; but the land through which the water flows is so exceedingly low and level that
the whole region on both sides of the stream is frequently submerged, and is generally of a marshy character, therefore
unfit for cultivation. Across the southeast corner of the town flows the waters of the inlet of the west branch
of Lake Keuka, while in the northeast quarter of the town are the waters of West River and its tributaries. The
marsh lands of the township are rather more extensive than is desirable, and the fact that they extend through
the central portions of the town detracts much from the general value of the region that is generally looked to
for the best agricultural results. But, notwithstanding all this, Potter is by no means an unimportant subdivision
of Yates County, and within its limits are found many farms as rich and productive as can be found in the county.
Moreover, the town is well peopled and improved, and those who are dwellers therein are earnest in their endeavors,
honest in their dealings, and generous and public spirited in their contributions for local and general improvements.
The town, too, has furnished its full share of public officers, as a reference to the civil lists of the county
will disclose to the investigator.
Pioneers and Early Settlers. - In 1790 the first Federal census enumeration was made. The returns then made showed
that there dwelt in township eight, second range, seven families, the respective heads of which were Benjamin Tibbitts,
Michael Pierce, Francis Briggs, Henry Lovell, William Hall, Arnold Potter and John Watford. These, therefore, were
the pioneers of the town, upon whom fell the burden and the hardships of clearing the lands and making the first
improvements in a new and comparatively uninviting territory. They were soon afterward followed by other settlers,
upon whom the burden fell none the less heavily, and to whom perhaps is due as much of honor and credit as to the
first comers but generally there is accorded to the first half dozen or so of pioneers all the glory of pioneership
in a new county.
Arnold Potter, as he has ever been commonly known, or, more correctly, Benedict Arnold Potter, was not only the
pioneer of the town that was named in his honor, but he was one of the most prominent and influential men in the
whole region. He was at one time the owner of more than 35,000 acres of land in the old town of Augusta (which
included Potter). He was born in 176t, and was the son of William Potter, the Friend's faithful follower and for
some years most trusted counselor; but he fell away from the faith and eventually became her enemy, but not bitter
nor revengeful. The last years of the life of William" Potter were spent with Arnold Potter, at his home in
this town. Like his father, Arnold Potter was once a Friend, but he too became alienated from the society, but
his wife remained true to the faith. She was Sarah, daughter of Benjamin Brown, sr. Their children were William,
Arnold and Penelope Potter. Arnold Potter, the pioneer, died at Harrisburgh, Pa., in 1810, while on his way to
Philadelphia with a drove of cattle. In a printed circular issued by him in 1800, Judge Potter advertised for sale
his land, in parcels; and he stated that on his tract of 16,000 acres there were two saw mills and a grist mill.
The region at that time was called Potterstown. Thomas Hazard Potter, brother of Arnold, married Patience Wilkinson,
sister of the Friend, and in 1790 settled in this town. He died in 1807, and his wife in 1819. Their children were
Susan, Eliza and John.
Benjamin Brown, jr., married Penelope, the daughter of William Potter, at the house of Arnold Potter in 1790. One
child, Penelope, was born of this union. The second wife of Mr. Brown was Mary Lamb. Benjamin Brown was a Friend,
likewise a prominent man in the town. He was interested in the saw and grist mills built in Potter Hollow in 1793.
Jesse and Joshua Brown, twin brothers, sons of James Brown, were pioneers in the town, making their settlement
on lot 2, on land bought from Arnold Potter. Jesse sold out his interest to his brother, and moved to Benton. Joshua
died in the town in 1832. His first wife was Clarissa Miner; his second Fanny Brown, and his third, a Widow Spencer.
One child, Fanny, who married Ephraim Wheeler, was born of his second marriage.
Francis Briggs, the son of Peleg Briggs, a prominent Friend, was a pioneer on lot 6 in Potter, and there he lived
nearly sixty years, and died in 1850. His first wife was Isabelle Albro; his second Olive Bell. The children of
the first marriage, were Mercy, Jacob, Joshua, Francis, Lydia, Margaret, Vaughn, Sally, William and Peleg. Isabelle
and George Briggs were children of his second marriage.
Abel, Job and Caleb Briggs, brothers, were early settlers in the town, on land adjoining the Potter farm. Abel
married Martha Dickinson, and had ten children: Harry, Gardner, Hiram, Eliza, Waity, Mercy, Warren, Lydia, Mary
and Israel. Job married Susan Potter and had six children: William, John, Maria, Joel, Russell and Lucinda. Caleb
married Mary Jones, and settled on the top of Potter Hill in 1817. They had eleven children: Marbra, Phineas, Mary,
Betsey, Waity, Rebecca, Caleb, Pamelia and Samuel (twins), Joseph and Sarah.
George Bates married the daughter of Peleg Briggs, sr., and settled on lot 9 in Potter in 1789. Their children
were Mercy, George, Peleg, David, Mary, Lucy and Anna. George, the pioneer, died in 1826.
In 1808, William and Priscilla (Raymond) Hall settled in Potter. Their children were William, Priscilla, Seth,
Phebe, John and Lydia. Rows Perry, formerly a Quaker preacher of some note, became a resident of Potter in 1791,
when he worked by the month for Arnold and William Potter, receiving pay in land at fifty cents per acre. In 1794
he married Desiah Brown, sister to Arnold Potter's wife. Their children were Susan, Edmund, Rowland B., Fanny,
Edward and Sally (twins), Benjamin, Ann, Robert and Mariette. Rows Perry died in 1853, and his wife in 1854
In 1791 Jabez French visited this town and spent the greater part of that summer in surveying. In the fall he returned
home, in Massachusetts, for his wife, but was delayed in again coming back to the locality until 1794. The family
settled near Rushville. They had eight children: Samuel, Ebenezer, Benjamin, Sarah, Jesse, Sophronia, Susan and
William Bassett came to old Augusta in 1794, settling near Rushville. In 1796 he married Ann Blair, and reared
a family of twelve children, ten of whom reached adult age. They were Nathaniel, Polly, Sally, Emily, Alexander,
Samuel, Calista, Betsey, Thomas and Anna.
On the northwest corner lot in Potter, on the site of the present village called Rushville, in 179t Elias Gilbert
settled and built a house of poplar poles. His farm comprised 320 acres, which eventually became valuable land.
The children of Elias Gilbert were Louisa, Jesse, Simon, Samuel, David, Solomon, Ephraim, Lydia and Richard.
Nathan Loomis, and family came to Augusta in 1793; therefore he was a pioneer. His children were Chester, Lucy,
James, Sally, Elisha, Amanda, Minerva and Benjamin.
Abial Thomas, wife and family settled on lot 9, third range, in Potter in 1801. Their children were Ashley, Vertie,
Ambrose, Jeffrey, Lucy, Peleg, Eleanor, Mary, Lois and Janette.
In 1802 Dr. Jared Dyer became a settler in Potter, locating on lot 3, range three, where he practiced medicine
until his death in 18t3, His wife was Susanna Newell, by whom these children were born: Calista, Julia, Pierpont,
Susan and Eliza.
Consider Bordwell was a native of Massachusetts, but he died a resident of Potter, in 1850. His wife, whom he married
in 1809, was Calista Dyer. Their children were Jared D., William H., Susan H., Charles L., Robert P., William W.,
James R. and Herbert.
In 1796 Jonas Wyman and family settled on lot 2, second farm range. His children were Polly, Betsey, John and Samuel.
George Green and his family settled on lot 4, third range in Potter in 1804. He died in 1851. He was a former soldier
in the Revolution; in the town he was many years justice of the peace.
In 1796 Nathan Warner settled in the town. In 1798 he married Martha Card and located near George Green. Their
children were Benjamin, Samuel W., James S., Martha, Hannah, Tamar, Sarah, Rachel R., William E. and Lydia J.
Job Card came into the town from Rhode Island in 1795. His wife was Martha Potter. Of their children, Potter G.
married Betsey Hendricks of Potter; Jabez T. married Eleanor Wheeler, and Hannah married Joshua Payne. Benoni Moon
and Hannah, his wife, and their family moved into Potter in 1800. Theirs was one of the most numerous families
in the town. Their locality was called Moontown, on Flint Creek. The family of George Howard settled on lot 9,
fourth farm range, in 1802. His children were, by his first marriage, James, George, David, John, Justus and Amos.
Benoni Howard was a son of George by a second marriage. Carey Clark was an early settler on lot 11, range five.
He succeeded pioneer Gaffle, and left a good family of descendants in the town.
In 1812 Alexander Parkman and family settled and lived about a mile and a half east of Rushville. The children
were Erastus L., Sophia, Delanson E. and Cynthia D. Dr. Buffum Harkness came to the town in 1805, and practiced
medicine until his death. His children were Allonia and Forrest; the latter also a doctor in the town. Nathan Webb,
from Connecticut, settled in 1798 on lot xi, range six, and died there in 1807. His wife was Polly Pratt, who died
at the home of her son, Dr. Nathan Webb, in 1858. John F., Dorcas, Ruby, Amelia, Mary and Nathan Webb, jr., were
children of Nathan and Polly Webb. Nicholas Van Zandt, the progenitor of a large family of children, settled in
the town on lot 8, range four, in 1815. These children were Garrett, Lucretia, Anna, Maria, Margaret, Jecheliah,
Lydia Jane, Amy, Garnetta, Isam and Samuel. Joseph H. Williams was an early settler near Rows Perry. Among his
children were Abigail, Huldah, Sarah, Rachel, Laura, Joseph, Polly, John F., Ira C., and Margaret. Jeremiah Barber
married Anna Van Zandt, and came with her father's family to the town. Their children were Culver S., Ira, Lydia,
Maria, Jonathan S. and Mahala. John Tucker and his son in law, Lindsley Warfield, became settlers in Potter in
1798 Abraham Florence, and his step son, Peter Lawrence, came in 1807, and settled on lot 8, fifth farm range.
Mr. Florence married Phebe A. Reynolds. Their children were Martha J., Andrew T., Phebe A., Sarah E., Peter R.,
Elizabeth and Charles F. Henry Van Wormer was an early settler on lot 9, fifth range. His wife was Elizabeth Horton,
by whom these children were born: David, William, Hester, Elisha, John, Charity, Peter, Daniel and Abraham P. The
Savage family settled in the town in 1797. Dr. Frederick Dutch was the founder of the Dutch settlement in Potter,
and continued to live in the town until his death, about 1840. Philip and Elizabeth (Kishler} Dinturff, with their
family located in this town on lot 12, second range, in 1800. Their children were Jacob and Philip. Jacob Shuman
was another of the Dutch settlers in the town, having come here in 1794, and purchasing 134 acres of land for $168.
Samuel H. Torrey was not a pioneer, but nevertheless a worthy settler. He resided near Rushville. His children
were Nancy, Samuel, Learned, Henry, Augustus, Hiram, and Lucy.
Soon after the year 1800, Luke Conley, an Irishman, with his small family, came to Potter to live. The children
in this family were Jane, John, Luke, William, Bartholomew, David R., Mary, James and Michael B. Dr. James Germans
was not a pioneer of Potter, but was for many years one of its leading citizens. He came from Dutchess County and
practiced medicine in the locality and a part of the time at the county seat. His wife was Eliza Hartt, by whom
he had these children: Cornelia M., Emma S., Edwin J., Charles E., Henry C., Catharine E., William H. and Mary
E. Deacon David Sutherland is remembered as having been one of the pioneers of Potter, his settlement having been
made on lot 8, of the second range, in the year 1792. His wife was Lucretia Smith. Their children were Joseph,
Andrew, Sarah, Elizabeth, Alexander, Susanna, James and Patrick. David Sutherland was four terms in the Assembly
from Ontario County. In 1796 John Voak and Rachel, his wife, came to Potter, locating on lot 9, first range. Their
children were Lydia, James, Abraham, Isaac, Sarah, Samuel, Joseph, Mary, John and Josiah. Deacon William Holton
and family came from York County, Pa, in 1796, and settled on lot 11, second range. His wife was Mary Lieper, by
whom were born these children: Francis, Janette, James, Samuel and Mary. In 1795 Abraham and Rachel Lane came from
their former home in Milo and located west of the Potter place, on lot 3, of the second range. Eight children were
in their family: John, Joseph, Mary, Jacob, Hannah, Isaac, Abraham and Rachel.
Beza Whitman was the pioneer landlord at Rushville, at which place he opened public house about 180o. His wife
was Alice Green, who. bore him five children: Augustus, Marcus, Henry G., Samuel and Alice. Aaron Putney came to
what is now Potter in 1814, locating on lot 6, seventh range, where he and his wife died. Their children were Nancy,
Julia, Jedediah, Aurelia, Foskett M., Needham M., Martha, Olive, Aaron M. and Milo. In 1809 Lewis M. Bostwick and
his then recently married wife settled on the York Tract. Their children born in the town were Mary, Nathan, William
S., Daniel, Denton, Catharine and Hannah. Sanford Strobridge, the wheelwright, settled north of Potter Center,
in 1826. He and his wife had a numerous family, all but one of whom grew to maturity. They were Maria, Susan, Sanford
D., Lyman H., Samuel G., Orville F., Jane E., George W., Charles H., James M. and William M. John S. Underwood,
wife and family, part of his children being by a first marriage, located on the Potter farm in 1820, but afterward
moved to Jerusalem. The children by his first marriage were Samuel C., Lydia, George, John, Susan and Mary; by
the second marriage: William H., Oliver, Henry, Clarissa, Weeden, George and Benjamin. Ezekiel Gardner succeeded
the Underwoods on the Potter farm in 1826. His children were Peleg, John, Elizabeth N., Ezekiel W. and Mary E.
Daniel G. Weare, an older resident of Ontario County, came to Potter in 1819. He died at the Center in 1863, his
wife surviving him several years. Their children were Samuel C., Mary H., Sarah, Caroline, Daniel G., Orrin R.
and Delight. Calvin Loomis and Nathan Loomis came to the region about the early years of the present century; thence
Calvin came to Potter and occupied the Dr. Harkness place. By hips first marriage his children were Stephen, Laura,
Norman and Maria; by the second marriage, Erastus, Orrin G. and Luther. George and Harriet (Ross) Hunt, settled
on lot 1, range three, in 1820, but soon moved to Jerusalem. Samuel Andrews settled on lot 1, range three, in 1817.
He married Emily Waity Briggs, who bore him these children: Amy, Eunice, Mercy, Polly, Sally, Eliza A., Asa, Peleg,
Abby, Thomas Jefferson and Ruth.
Capt. Reuben Carr and his family, accompanied by Gilbert Sherer, the latter a child, located north of Potter Center
in 1815. When grown up, Gilbert Sherer married, first Fanny Bordwell; second Minerva Bordwell; and third, Louisa
De Voe. In 1860 Mr. Scherer was elected to the Assembly; in 1861 was appointed postmaster at Penn Yan. He was colonel
of the 103d N. Y. S. Vol. Infantry regiment. Captain Carr, and his father, Caleb Carr, were both early residents
of Potter. The latter was the father of twenty two children. He had three wives.
In 1797 Rev. William Hobart with his wife and six children came to Potter, where the head of the family died in
180i. His wife survived him fifty years and died in 1851. The descendants of this family are now scattered throughout
the county. John and David Stebbins came to Potter in 1814, and although each had a family, the present representatives
of the surname in the town are quite few. Jacob B. VanOsdol is remembered as having been a tailor in Rushville
at an early day; also he is known to have been elected to the Assembly in 1855. Two years later he died. His wife
was Hannah Wilder, by whom he had two daughters, Augusta and Maria.
The Village of Rushville. - Among the hamlets or small. villages of the town of Potter, that called Rushville
is of the greater importance, both in point of population and commercial advantage. The village lies partly in
this town, while another and possibly a greater part is in the county of Ontario. On the site now occupied by Rushville,
south of the line, Elias Gilbert, mentioned on a preceding page, was the first settler, followed soon afterward
by the Loomis family. Beza Whitman, whose descendants still live in the town, was the keeper of the first hotel,
while Mrs. Seldon Williams figured as the pioneer school teacher. William and Cornelius Bassett were the first
male teachers. Philander P. Woodworth was the first merchant of the settlement, his place of business being in
the afterward called Dr. Bryant House. Mr. Woodworth afterward kept store and hotel on the site yet occupied for
the latter use. Chester Loomis succeeded Woodworth in 1815. On the west side of the river a tavern was also early
started, and near by was the first school, in which, also, were held the first Congregational Church services.
Among the early merchants and business men of the village, there can be recalled the names of Raymond & Sprague,
Stillman & Gilbert, John Wisewell, Thomas J. Dudley, Grant Barney, John Clark, Charles W. Henry, Wisewell &
Henry, Whitman & Green, Randall Whitman, Dudley & Colt, Dudley & Bailey, Hamlin & Hazen (a branch
of the large store at Penn Yan), Judson Jones, Flinn & Dwelle, L. C. Wisewell & Co., Hunt & Armsburger,
Mortimer Case, J. H. Berman, William T. Bassett, George Howell & Son, A. & J. Thomas, and others, perhaps,
whose names have become forgotten. The large and attractive union school building was erected in 1868, at a cost
of $16,000. An important adjunct to the business interests of the village and vicinity was the large steam and
water power grist mill.
The Congregational Church of Rushville was organized as early as the year 1802, by Rev. Jedediah Chapman,
a Presbyterian missionary. The first members were John and Elizabeth Blair, William and Mary Holton, Nathan and
Dorcas Loomis, Jabez and Sarah French, Henry Green, Lydia Black, Mrs. Huldah Williams, Sarah Lukore, Sarah Bassett,
Miss Huldah Williams, and Anna Sawyer. From 1803 to 1813 this church was connected with the Ontario Congregational
Association, but in 1814 connected with the Geneva Presbytery, and so continued until 1855. The early meetings
of the society were held in the old school house, and occasionally in other places, and in 1818 the brick church
edifice was erected. A plain, substantial building it was and answered the requirements of the congregation for
many years without material repair. It was substantially remodeled, however, during the pastorate of Rev. S S.
Hughson. The early ministers or pastors of the Rushville church were Jedediah Chapman, Abijah Warren, Reuben Parmalee,
Joseph Merrill, David Page, Joseph Brackett, Henry P. Strong, Maltby Geltson, S. S. Hughson, W. A. Smith, Orrin
Place, W. Kincaid, and others. The present church membership numbers about 175 persons.
Rushville Methodist Church. - Although Methodist missionary services and preaching were held in and near
Rushville about as early as elsewhere in the north part of the county, it was not until the year 1824 that a society
of this denomination was in fact formed. The residence of pioneer Michael Pierce appears to have been the home
of Methodism in the town, and here the first meetings were generally held. Gideon Lanning and Robert Parker were
the first preachers in the locality, while E. Streeter was the first class leader. Later meetings were held in
the old school house and at the home of J. A. Peabody, one of the original members. In 183o the first church edifice
was built, but enlarged a few years later. It was dedicated January 25, 1832, by Rev. John Copeland. Prominent
among the early members and founders of the church were Mr. Streeter, Samuel Whitman, John A. Peabody, Philo E.
Brown, Jesse C. Boardman and family, Ira Fairbanks, Dr. Buffam Harkness, Job Pierce, John Sanders, Nathaniel Loomis,
and G W. Cole. In 1835 the circuit took the name of Rushville and Bethel, and Ira Fairbanks, John Easter, and R.
Harrington were the preachers. Following them came in succession, Gideon Lanning, Z. J. Buck, J. C. Kingsley, Abner
Chase, Orrin Trowbridge, Samuel Parker, Joseph Chapman, Calvin Coates, Philo Brown, David Nutten, Manly Tooker,
Robert Parker, J. W. Wilson, M. Wheeler, J. Landreth, E. Wood, A. L. Fillmore, N. N. Beers and others. In February,
1868, the beautiful new church edifice was dedicated by Bishop Simpson. It was commenced in 1866, and completed
during the next year, costing $23,000. The present church membership numbers nearly 250.
Among the early settlers in Potter were several families who favored Universalism. Edward Perry was a leader among
them. Between 1830 and 1840 a society was formed and built a church at Rushville, but after about fifteen years
of unfruitful effort the society was disbanded.
Potter Center, which, as the name indicates, is near the center of the town, westward of Flint Creek, is not more
than a hamlet, or convenient trading point for residents in the surrounding country. Its business industries have
been but few, there not having been more than one or two stores in operation at any one time, while a single hotel
affords ample accommodation to the wayfarer. The dwellings in the hamlet proper number not to exceed twenty. But
the Center has two prosperous church societies.
The Second Methodist Church of Potter ultimately became the first Methodist Church of Potter Center, being
a removal of the Nettle Valley society to this point as a place of worship, in 1865. The Nettle Valley class was
formed in 1815, numbering among its members, William Gurnsey and wife, Samuel Wyman and wife, Israel Hobart and
wife, Ephraim Kinney and wife, James Hardy and wife, Joseph L. Hobart and wife, Potter and Jabez Card, Sarah Hull,
Eleanor Parsons, and Thomas, Pardon, Martha and Sophronia Wilson. A legal organization of the society was perfected
in April, 1827.
The first meeting house of the society was built of logs, but in 1838 this gave way to a neat frame church, costing
$1,400. Also in 1838 a part of the society's grounds were set apart for burial purposes. In 1855 the society purchased
the old Baptist meeting house at the Center, repaired and remodeled it, and occupied it in future. The old church
in the Valley was then sold.
There have been two Free Baptist Societies in the town of Potter, the one known as the North Free Baptist Church,
which merged into the Free Baptist Church of Potter, the surviving organization. Free Baptist preaching began in
the town in December, 1824, and the results of subsequent frequent revivals brought into the membership of the
society nearly 400 persons, making it one of the strongest denominations of the township. The North Church united
with the First Church in 1860. The first church was built in 1840. The Sunday school of this society was formed
The Yatesville Methodist Church of Potter had its origin in the early meetings held in the locality as early
as 1817, resulting in the forming of a class, but it was not until October 29, 1832, that the society was organized
according to law and duly named Yatesville Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Among the early prominent
members of the society can be recalled the names of Asa Brunson and wife, Abel Trask and wife, James Harley and
wife, Daniel Harley and wife, Achilles Comstock, Elnathan Botsford and wife, Israel Arnold and wife, Baxter Hobart
and wife, Ephraim Wheeler and wife, Webster Winn and wife, Joshua Stoddard and wife, Stephen Wyman and wife, and
others. The early meetings were held in a store and shop until the schoolhouse was completed. In 1837 the church
edifice was built for the society. In 1865 the Yatesville Cemetery Association was organized, and thereafter purchased
a tract of land just west of the church. Israel Comstock was the first person to be buried in this cemetery.
In the town of Potter and in the towns adjoining have settled a number of Catholic families. To supply their spiritual
wants a parish has been organized embracing the region, and the Catholic Church is also to be numbered among the
institutions of the township.
Civil History. - Among the pioneers and early settlers in the town prior to its erection as Potter, there
may be recalled the names of a number of persons who were appointed or elected to office. Nathan Loomis was justice
as early as 1797, followed soon afterward by George Green. Abiel Thomas held the same office in 1803, and thereafter
at various times until 1820. Arnold Potter was likewise justice, and also associate justice of the Ontario County
Courts, the latter as early as 1795. John Griffin was justice in 1808, and again in 1811. He also was judge. Jabez
French was justice in 1814 and 1816.
At the first town meeting in Potter these officers were chosen: Supervisor, William L. Hobart; town clerk, Ambrose
S. Thomas; justices, Jeremiah Barber, John H. Gleason and Isaac Secor; assessor, James P. Robinson; commissioners
of highways, Alexander Sutherland, David J. McMaster and Orrin Stebbins; overseers of the poor, Mark Weare and
Abraham Reddout; commissioners of schools, Augustus Torrey, James P. Robinson, Jesse D. Casey; inspectors of schools,
Noah Robinson, Titus Gilbert, Alexander McDonald; collector, Hiram Torrey; constables, Richard Green, John Ansley,
Joseph A. Lee; sealer of weights and measures, John Visewell.
Supervisors of Potter. - William L. Hobart, 1832-35; Henry Husted, 1836-37; James Hermans, 1838-41; Ambrose
S. Thomas, 184243; Gilbert Sherer, 1844-45; John Wisewell, 1846-47; Ira D. Bryant, 1848-49; Henry Torrey, 1850-51;
Elnathan R. Hunt, 1852; Isaac Lane, 1853-54; Ambrose S. Thomas, 1855, 1860; George G. Wyman, 1856-57; Ephraim C.
Mower, 1858-59; John Halsted, 1861-62; Hiram Keeney, 1863-64; Whitford B. Wyman, 1865; Jareb Bordwell, 1866-67;
Charles Olmsted, 1868-69; Peter L. Dinturff, 1870-71: John Sutherland, 1872; George T. Wyman, 1873-74; Timothy
M. Blodgett, 1875; James R. Bordwell, 1876-78; John J. Best, 1879; William A. Carson, 1850-51; David. M. McMaster,
1882-83; Jabez F. Hobart, 1884-86; Miner Loomis, 1887-88; John R. Gardner, 1889-90; George S. Goodrich, 1891.
Justices of the Peace. - Jeremiah Barber (elected), 1833, '36; John H. Gleason, 1833, '37, '43, '45; Isaac
Secor, 1833, '39, '43, '47; Augustus Torrey, 1834, '38, '42; Isaac Lane, 1835, '53, '55; John J. Schenck, 1840,
'44; Baxter Hobart, 1841; Jacob R. Van Osdol, 1846; Andrew W. Rector, 1848; Oliver Underwood, 1849; John Sayer,
1850, '54, '58, '66, '70; John Sutherland, 1851, '69; Jareb D. Bordwell, 1852, '56, '6o; James Conley, 1853, '57,
'61, '67; Horace Underwood, 1859; James O. Fanning, 1862; John W. Payne, 1863; Chauncey O. Hoyt, 1864; James C.
Briggs, 1865; Milton Shutts, 1867, '68; Sanford D. Strobridge, 1872; F. C. Hobart, 1872; John Voak, 1873 (full
term); Milton Shutts (vacancy); Nathaniel Green, 1874; John Sutherland, 1875; Milton Shutts, 1876; James C. Briggs,
1877; N. H. Green, '878, '82; John Voak, 1879 (full term); James Conley (vacancy); F. C. Hobart, 1881, '84, '88;
L. W. Lane, 1881; James Conley, 1883, '87; Lewis M. Rugar, 1885; Frank Fairchild, 1886; George R. Ingram, 1889;
William S. Hine, 1890; John Voak, 1891.