Jackson township was surveyed in 1807, by Mr. Ludlow and was organized February 12, 1819, out of the territory
of Perry township. The population of the township in 1820 was two hundred and thirty six. The whole number of voters
at the first election was sixty seven. The following is the list:
Martin Shaffer, Michael Morkie, Thomas McBride, George Long, John Bryant, Jacob Kiplinger, Jesse Matthews, John
Kiplinger, Adam Keny, Shadrach Bryant, Joseph Chilcoat, Daniel Bryan, Michael Kiplinger, Lawrence Swope, Peter
Kiplinger, John Tanyer, William Brosser, John Meason, Isaac Lyons, John A. Smiley, Robert Smilie, Wm. Harris, Moses
Kitchen, Jacob Heilman, Jacob Berry, Peter Kane, John Kelley, Hanson Hamilton, Nicholas Shaffer, Tate Brooks, Philip
Brown, Daniel Goodwin, Amos McBride, Jonas H. Gierhart, Samuel Chacy, John Johnsonbaugh, Adam Burge, Noah Long,
Thomas Smith, Solomon Mokie, James George, Nathaniel Lyons, William Smith, John Duncan, Henry Kiplinger, Benjamin
Drodge, Martin Fast, Josiah Lee, Samuel McConahey, Peter Henry, Matthias Rickle, Henry Kiplinger, John Harbaugh,
John Nelson, Thomas Cole, John Rickle, John Lafior, James Fulton, Peter Berk, William Anderson, John Vavahnan,
Charles Hay, Michael Rickle, Henry Shissler, Hankey Priest, James Durfy, Stephen Cole.
Charles Hoy removed with his family to Jackson township in May, 1817. At the date of the arrival of Mr. Hoy in
the township the following named persons were the heads of families that constituted its population, viz: Isaac
Lyons, John Jackson, Daniel and John Davoult, and Noah Long. The family of either Isaac Lyons or Noah Long were
the first inhabitants. Of the heads of families above named, not one is now a resident of the township.
Josiah Lee immigrated to Jackson township from Ontario county. New York, in July, 1819. Mr. Lee often traveled
from his home to Wooster and back, a distance of forty miles, within a single day. In two instances, himself, Mr.
Lafier, and Mr. Mason, were required to attend "militia musters" on the Big (Blachleyville) Prairie,
a distance of twenty miles. They were ordered to be at the place of rendezvous at ten o'clock a. m. and would be
dismissed at 4 o'clock p. m. This travel of forty miles, and at least five hours drill, were accomplished on foot
within the same day and night. Prior to 1830 there were no markets at the lake for grain or other farm produce.
During this year, however, a demand was created, by a large immigration to Michigan, for produce, and wheat at
the lake ports this year sold at fifty six cents per bushel; oats twenty two cents. Charleston at the mouth of
Black river, was regarded as the most favorable point for reaching the lake, for the reason that the streams were
less difficult to cross than those which intervened between here and Cleveland. The farmers were greatly elated
in consequence of the prices of this year, and as the demand was expected to continue another season, an unusually
large breadth of ground was sown in wheat during the fall of 1830; but the expectations of farmers were not realized,
as in 1831 wheat fell to forty cents per bushel, and for oats there was no demand.
A FATIGUING MARCH,
Charles Hoy removed his family from Stark county to Jackson township, Ashland county, in May, 1817. At the time
of their arrival there were but five families in the township. In March, 1819, Mr. Hoy, after his purchase of the
quarter in section 27, which was then in a wilderness condition, at the close of the day he had raised his cabin,
(hands to obtain which were procured from neighborhoods as far distant as where Rowsburg now stands,) he undertook
to return to his family, a distance of five miles. He had only blazed trees. to guide him. When he had accomplished
about half the distance, a violent snowstorm and darkness suddenly arrested his progress. He undertook to find
the blazed trees by feeling with his hands; but soon found this impracticable, and came to the conclusion that
he would be either compelled to spend the inclement night in the forest or search out the bed of Wolf run, and
follow its course to the Muddy Fork, and then up the 'latter stream to his home, which stood upon its banks. By
the devious course of these streams, the distance was nine or ten miles, over fallen timber and brush, and encountering
the whole route a violent storm; and, when he finally reached home, it was between twelve and one o'clock in the
morning. He sound Mrs. Hoy sitting up, unable to sleep, and terrified with the fear that her husband might fall
a victim to the inclement weather or savage beasts. Mr. Hoy had seen service in the war of 1812 and had endured
some other hardships; but he says that never, before or since has he performed a more exhausting march.
There were very few horses in the country at that time, and comparatively little use for them, as there was no
surplus produce for market, and no attainable markets, even had there been horses, wagons, and roads, suitable
for transportation. Religious meetings (which, there being no church buildings. were always held at private houses)
and social visits were made on foot men and women often traveling a distance of five or six miles (carrying children
in their arms) for these purposes.