Milton township was surveyed in 1807 and was organized in 1816. Originally, the two western tiers or sections,
including the town of Olivesburg, were given to Richland county when Aahland was erected.
The population of the township in 1820 was five hundred and forty four; in 1830, one thousand one hundred and fifty
Among the pioneers of this township were the Andrews, the Dotys, the Lockharts, the Reeds, the Woodburns, and in
addition to the above were Peter Brubaker, Joseph Bechtel, Henry Keever, John Neal, Michael Smeltzer, Jacob Foulks,
Robert Nelson, Benjamin Montgomery, James Andrews, Peter Brubaker, John Clay, Frederick Sultzer, John Hazlett,
Joseph Charles, Andrew Stevenson, David Markley, James Crawford, David Crabbs, Elijah Charles, David McKinney,
John Ferrell, Abel Montgomery, William Houston, George Burget, and possibly a few others.
The residents of Milton township have always been such a well behaved and orderly people, satisfied with the good
things of earth which they have so plentifully about them, that there is nothing very eventful to be said about
Prior to 1816, Milton had been under the jurisdiction of Muffin. The first justice of the peace was Robert McBeth,
from what is now Clear Creek, then under the jurisdiction of Milton.
The surveyors not only noted carefully the kind and quality of timber, but also the direction and size of the streams,
the Indian trails, villages, and other objects of curiosity. The south boundary of Milton is noted as uneven and
hilly land second rate, and timber composed of oak, beech, and hickory. The east boundary is noted as generally
level, soil good; timber the same as on the south line, with sugar maple, dogwood, and an occasional wild cherry.
The land of the township is described as of gentle ascents and descents, some places level; soil good for farming,
and, generally, more or less clayey. It has an abundance of water, flowing from clear, pure, and never ceasing
springs. In the neighborhood of the Short farm is to be found one of the strongest springs in the county.
Milton, like other townships in the county, was densely timbered with oak, hickory, beech and other hard wood in
the early settlement.’ No streams of any consequence are found in this township, but there are many fine springs
and one of the finest in the county is found here. This is essentially a farming commurnty, no town existing within
its limits. Its early reminiscences are similar to those of other townships whose history has already been written,
and need not be repeated. The same may be said of the struggles and triumph of its early settlers who came to a
wilderness and have, after years of hardships, toil and dangers, brought it to a state of cultivation. These pioneers
are now gone but their good. works remain.
The early settlers of the towrship worshiped at the Old Hopewell church, which stood near the line between Milton
Among the early settlers were James Andrews, who came in 1806, and was a justice of the peace for twenty seven
years. He also served as a captain in the war of 1812. Abraham Doty also came in 1816; William Lockhart, in 1808;
John Woodburn, in 1825. Other early settlers were: Peter Brubaker, Joseph Bechtel, Joseph Charles, John Clay, John
Hazlett, Henry Keever, John Neal and Michael Smeltzer.