History of German Township - New Breman, Auglaize County, Ohio
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923

GERMAN TOWNSHIP AND NEW BREMEN.

German township, so named on account of the nativity of the dominant element of its early settlers, a racial dominance which still is maintained, is the northern half of township 7 south, range 4 east, its sections numbering from 1 to 18, three miles north and south and six miles east and west, and thus covers eighteen square miles of surface, one of the richest agricultural sections of the county. This township originally included all of the above congressional township and so continued until in 1858, when by mutual consent a division was made and the lower half of the township was given a separate civil status under the name of Jackson township. Most of the land in this township was included in the canal donation and it was quickly taken up when the tide of emigration set in up this way in the early '30s, following the departure of the Indians from this section of the state. The township is bounded on the north by St. Marys township, on the east by Shelby county, on the south by Jackson township, which it formerly included, and on the west by Mercer county. Here rise the south branches of the St. Marys river, forming the headwaters of that stream, which drains most all but the west tier of townships, these latter being drained into the Wabash, with some drainage to the south into the Miami. These tributaries with a complete system of ditches afford ample drainage to the lands of the township. Near the geographical center of the township, in sections 10, 11, 14 and 15, is the town of New Bremen, the site of numerous thriving industrial concerns. The township is crossed from north to south by the St. Marys-Minster division of the Lake Erie & Western railway and by a similar division of the Western Ohio electric line, as well as by the Miami & Erie canal, all these passing through New Bremen.

Township 6, south of range 7 east (German township), formerly was a part of Darke county and when Mercer county was given its civil status in 1824 was annexed to this latter county and so remained until the time of the erection of Auglaize county in 1848 when it became a part of this county. It retained its original proportions until in 1858, when Jackson township was set off, this action taking the lower half of the township. The first settlers of this township were "squatters" who followed along up the Miami to the headwaters of this stream at old Ft. Loramie, hunters and trappers whose adventurous life fit in well with that of the Indians who then inhabited this region and who as adventurers or traders found plenty of activity along the line of the portage between Loramies and St. Marys, this portage following the old Wayne Military trail up through the township, which trail in due time became somewhat further dignified by the name of the Piqua and St. Marys road, which later became the line of survey for the Miami & Erie canal through this county. After the treaty at St. Marys in 1818 and the opening of lands hereabout to settlement in 1820, there were some inquiries at the land office at Piqua concerning lands for settlement this far north, but the wild state of the country and the continued presence of large numbers of Indians on the Wapakoneta reservation did not offer much encouragement to settlers and there was no practical movement made toward settlement until after the departure of the Indians in 1832.

THE COMING OF THE BREMEN COMPANY.

It was in the following year (1833) that the interesting colonization plan of the Bremen Company, one of the numerous colonization societies organized at Cincinnati for the purpose of taking care of the land needs of German immigrants who at that time were coming to America in large numbers following the unsuccessful revolution of 1832, resulted in the settlement of the colony of Germans at Bremen (now New Bremen). It is narrated that originally there were thirty three members of this company, Germans who had gone to Cincinnati upon their arrival in this country in 1832, and that they organized as the Bremen Company, in honor of the city from which they had come. These land seekers, prominent among whom were Frederick Henry Schroeder, A. F. Windeler, Philip Reis, Christian Carrmann, F. Steiner, F. Neiter and J. B. Mesloh, appointed Schroeder and Windeler to "spy out the land" with a view to the selection of a suitable place of settlement. These two men proceeded on up the Miami valley, having in mind a location some place in Ohio, and even took a turn over into the new lands section of Indiana, and then hearing good word concerning the portage strip up here on the "divide" examined the site at what is just about the summit of the divide between St. Marys and Loramies and decided there to "pitch their tents" along the line of the old military trail. They reported to the land office at Piqua and make entry to a tract of ten acres covering the site of their proposed colony, paying for the same $1 an acre, and Windeler went back to Cincinnati to report.

Schroeder secured the services of Robert Grant, surveyor of Mercer county (these lands at that time lying in Mercer county) and had the town site platted in his name as agent for the Bremen Company, this plat being recorded on June 11, 1833. The original town site, to which the name of Bremen was given, consisted of 102 lots, each 66 by 300 feet, with a reservation on the west edge of the plat for "public square and church yard," "with a stone planted on the northeast corner of the same." Under the terms of the company's agreement each member of the colony was to receive one lot, the apportionment to be made by "lot" in order to obviate any difficulty on account of supposed differences of value, and the remaining lots were to be sold at $25 each. It is narrated that immediately upon Windeler's return to Cincinnati with his report that a town site had been selected six members of the association returned with him to Bremen and that they were fourteen days in making the trip. Meanwhile Schroeder had secured the erection of a log cabin twelve by fourteen feet in dimensions for the initial shelter of the new colony and when the first detachment of this group of homeseekers arrived on the scene the tract was cleared and other cabins erected for the reception of the families who in due time followed the leaders of the colony and all hands buckled down to the task of making the wilderness habitable. And it was thus that New Bremen had its beginning. Simultaneously with this colonization movement a similar colony was being organized at Minster, in this same township (of which further mention is made under the head of Jackson township) and German township thus early became one of the most populous and progressive centers of what later came to be organized as Auglaize county.

DIFFICULTIES OF THE PIONEERS.

An older chronicle relating to the beginning of the Bremen colony has it that "the houses were covered with clapboards and left so open on the sides that the deer are said to have approached them and attempted to eat straw from the improvised beds through the openings between the logs. It is also related that on one occasion while Mohrman was hewing one end of a log a fox approached and stole a chicken which had hopped on the other end of the log. Here, as in other new settlements, much difficulty was experienced in obtaining supplies, as they were only to be secured at a distance of twenty three miles [From this statement it seems apparent that these new settlers preferred Piqua as a trading point to the nearer towns of St. Marys and Wapakoneta, both of which by this time had become pretty well established trading centers and the former of which at that time was the county seat of Mercer county. - Ed.] Even in the matter of flour, the settlers were sometimes compelled to the use of the home made grater. [Note - Christian Benner's mill at that time was in operation at St. Marys, less than ten miles away; the old Quaker mill at Wapakoneta still was in intermittent operation, and it is quite likely that the old mill at Loramies also then was in operation.- Ed.] In 1833 new immigrants arrived and a building was erected at a cost of $40 to supply the place of both church and school. These settlers were all Protestants, whose first minister was the Rev. L. H. Meyer. During the summer of 1833 several families arrived from Bavaria, among whom were Maurer, Paul and Braun.

"Thus the settlement had grown until the arrival of Charles Boesel, who found thirty five families within a radius of five miles. There were at that time but six houses within the limits of the village. So insignificant was the place that Mr. Boesel stopped to inquire of a woodchopper the distance to Bremen and was told that he then was in the town. The surroundings were so unpromising that he decided to go to Ft. Wayne. After a period of nineteen months he returned and found very material progress had been made, among which were separate buildings for church and school. Even at this time some of the farmers became discouraged by having their crops eaten by deer and other animals. The community was still almost isolated, as it had little facility for communication. In support of this it may be related that a man named George Garver walked to Piqua, a distance of twenty three miles, and returned the same day, carrying a No. 7 plow the whole distance from Piqua." Charles Boesel, above referred to and who may be regarded as the real promoter of the business life of New Bremen in pioneer days, started his store there in 1836 and was ever thereafter a leader in commercial activities at that point. He was a Bavarian by birth and was eighteen years of age when he came to this country in 1832. During the Polk administration he was appointed postmaster at New Bremen and held that office for nine years, the postoffice being carried on in his store, and also served for two terms as a commissioner for Mercer county. Upon the completion of the canal in 1845 he erected a warehouse at New Bremen and enlarged his business to include grain shipping and pork packing, his warehouse being used as a packing plant during the winter months when the canal was closed to navigation, and during the middle '50s he also served as one of the superintendents of the canal, acting under the State board of public works. During the Civil war period he was Auglaize county's representative in the State legislature and for four years during the '70s he served as State senator from this district. In 1866 he started a private bank at New Bremen and the Boesel interests continue largely represented along that line at that point today.

GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE TOWN.

It was in 1835 that the name of the town of Bremen was changed to that of New Bremen. This was upon the establishment of the postoffice there, when it was found that there was another Bremen postoffice in the State and hence a new name was given. After canal activities had secured for the town a general expansion along commercial and industrial lines, the trend was to the east side of the canal and in the spring of 1853, Ch. Ellerman platted an addition to the original plat of the town, to which he gave the name of Ober Bremen, and it is said that there persists to this day considerable of the spirit of rivalry that sprang up between the two Bremens, with only the canal between, though the old time warmth of that spirit, which found expression in something more than mere commercial rivalry, has long since cooled and the old time line between East Side and West Side which was observed in town elections in years gone by has long been obliterated. The town was incorporated for civil purposes in 1837 and G. Klefoth was the first mayor elected. Ellerman's Ober Bremen plat was a tract east of the canal beginning at the lock at the old Koop & Tangeman mill site and including Canal street, Cherry street, Main street (the old St. Marys and Piqua road) and Walnut street, north and south, and Wine, Front, High, Pearl and South streets, east and west. Since then the corporation line of New Bremen has been extended by successive additions until now it covers the southeast quarter of section 10, one fourth of the southwest quarter of same, about one fourth of the southwest quarter of section 11, one fourth of the northwest quarter of section 14, the greater part of the east half of section 15 and one fourth of the northwest quarter of this latter section. At Lock 2 (once known as New Paris), just northeast of town, there formerly was a busy warehouse and packing house, a mill and a store, the site giving promise during the height of canal activities of becoming an important supplemental center, but with the passing of canal traffic its dream of expansion ended, though the mill and store still are maintained.

The general industrial development of New Bremen has been a gradual and steady growth, beginning with the erection there of J. H. Kuenning's horse power grist mill in 1835, expanding with the opening of the canal ten years later and greatly accelerated by the coming of the railroad in 1877, further transportation advantages being acquired with the building of the trolley line in 1905. During the days of canal activity New Bremen was said to have been one of the most active points for the pork packing industry outside of Toledo in the state of Ohio, and many there recall the winter days when the streets would be filled with wagons loaded with hogs brought in from all directions to the packing plants, where they would be dressed and stored for shipment when the canal would be reopened for traffic with the passing of the ice. Formerly and for many years there was a brewery there whose products were widely and favorably known. The present industries include the flour mill and the woolen mill along the canal in the center of the town, a furniture factory which specializes in the manufacture of library tables, a tool and general machine manufacturing plant whose specialty is corrugating machinery, a lumber and finishing mill whose specialty is built in interiors, two broom factories whose products are in wide demand, a truck hoist and body plant, a plant for the assembling of steel bridge work and one of the most extensive sawmills still operating in this part of the state. The commercial interests of the town are well organized and are ample for the needs of the town, the population of which, according to the census of 1920, is 1,502. There are two newspapers in the town, the Suit and the Stern des Westlichen Ohio; four church organizations, a local grange of the Patrons of Husbandry, a post of the American Legion, a troop of Boy Scouts, a lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Daughters of Rebekah, a lodge of the Knights of Pythias and of the Pythian Sisters and a camp of Woodmen.

There are two banks in New Bremen, both outgrowths of the old Boesel bank started in 1866 by Charles Boesel and to which reference has been made above. This bank was reorganized on May 11, 1885, as Boesel Bros. & Co., bankers - Jacob Boesel, president; Julius Boesel, cashier, and Charles Boesel, Jr., Henry G. Schmidt and William C. Schmidt. In 1905 there was organized the First National Bank of New Bremen, which, according to the current bankers directory, is capitalized at $50,000 and reports resources in excess of $689,000, with deposits of $571,250 and surplus and profits aggregating $32,632. The officers of this bank are J. H. Grothaus, president; C. V. Huenke and August Isern vice presidents, and H. F. Bienz, cashier. Three years later, in 1908, the old Boesel bank was renamed the First City Bank of New Bremen. According to the bankers directory this latter bank, which is capitalized at $10,000, has resources in excess of $590,000 and deposits aggregating $568,730. Adolph Boesel is president of the City Bank and G. A. Kuenning is the cashier.

As has been set out elsewhere, the scourge of cholera which swept up along the line of the canal during the early days of the operation of that waterway took a terrible toll among the citizens of German township in the late '40s and early '50s and it is related than no fewer than 150 persons in this township died from the dread disease. It was about this time that considerable excitement was created in the New Bremen neighborhood by the word that a colony of freed negroes was to be established on lands bought by Connecticut parties over in the Carthagena neighborhood west of the village. The way the story goes "the free negroes arrived at Cincinnati in midsummer (1848) and were transported by canal boats as far as New Bremen, where the citizens prevented their landing. Every adult male citizen in the village served on the picket line for two days, at the end of which time the boats returned to Cincinnati with their 400 passengers After their return to the city they separated into parties and settled in Shelby, Miami and Warren counties." There formerly were a few families of negroes on small farms over west of New Bremen, but none ever got a foothold in the village. The lands that had been bought for the freed slaves in Mercer county were years afterward in litigation and it was long before title eventually was quieted.

EARLY LANDOWNERS OF ORIGINAL TOWNSHIP.

The tax duplicate for 1848, the year in which Auglaize county was erected, shows that at that time there were the following landowners in German township, though it must be borne in mind that what is now Jackson township was included in German township at that time, the separation not taking place until by an act of commissioners of 1858 Jackson township was given its separate civic identity: John G. Ankerman, George Aldhoff, B. H. Ahdelmeyer, John B. Albers, Bernard Arms, Christian Ankenman, Johannes Antoni, D. C. L. Ahlers, Bernard Bussing, Jacob Baker, Frederick Bambauer, Frederick Brambrink, Casper H. Bocrath, J. Bussing, Henry Black, John F. Bosche, E. H. Burgman, Henry Brandewie, Anton Brandewie, Henry Barhorst, B. H. Borman, H. G. Borgenbrock, William Berner, John H. Berner, H. H. Berner, Charles Brunes, C. H. Baker, Christian Boesel, Charles Boesel, Bernard Brune, B. H. Busse, A. H. Brugeman, Frederick Blase, Henry Brochamp, John D. Bucker, William Beckman, Adolph Buhlman, Mary Buhlman, C. L. Buhlman, J. F. Beckman, John H. Bord, John B. Behrnes, ____ Brunsmith, Joseph Bissing, Francis Barkman, Francis Bushman, Henry Beckman, H. H. Bausman, John H. Bromlage, E. Brown & Sons, John Breitenour, Henry H. Bosche, Francis Buschman, Frederick Baker, ____ Bornhorst, Bosch, Tangeman & Koop, John M. Drees, C. S. Dusterkotter, Henry A. Deeters, J. H. Dickman, Bernard Danneman, Henry Dammeyer, F. H. Dickman, H. H. Duhme, Henry Danerberg, Henry Dorson, G. H. Dwenger, Augustus Dorson, Gottleib Dryer, ____ Dickman (heirs), Adelheid Clement, Henry Eneking, John F. Eneking, John H. Eneking, Joseph Eneking, G. H. Elerman, B. H. Flashkamp, J. H. Fornholt, H. H. Fornholt, J. B. Frederick, Feltman & Co., John M. Funk, John H. Feltman, G. H. Feltman, Clemens Freeling, B. H. Freeling, Albert Freeling, Nicholas Fullenkamp, J. F. Fannaman, Michael Fishback, John B. Fosche, Everhard Flickey, William Finke, Clemens Frilling, Peter Geib, Catherine Garbrink, Andrew Garbrink, N. J. Goldshat, Christian Graber, H. H. Gille, John W. Gosman, Luckman Gerhard, Andrew Gast, Peter Gast, Charles Gospohl, Henry Grieshoff, Herman Gerker, H. H. Gunkenmeyer, ____ Gorman, Mathias Gerker, H. A. Glasey, ____ Gordier, J. B. Helbush, John C. Holdman, George Hershfeld, Clement. Hershfeld, B. W. Huckereider, J. Huckereider, Henry Heitkamp, John Heitkamp, Diederick Hinders, Henry Heinefelt, Henry Helmsink, J. H. Honebeck, Henry Hallet, Charles Hershfelt, J. H. Hosman, Arana Hernfeld, Diederick Hone, Charles Heseker, Bernard Heilers, H. H. Hengens, Frederick Then, J. C. W. Karman, Paulus Kummet, Gerhard H. Kizer, G. Kizer, Henry Kalverlage, Theodore Kizer, Jared Kelsey, G. H. Knost, Jacob Koppel, A. Kramer, ____ Keitham, H. H. Klute, Frederick Keitham, Henry Klebecker, Gerhard Klepforth, B. H. Koop, William Kammann, Henry Keller, M. D., G. W., M. J. and F. L. Koop, Gerhard Knost, F. W. Klockenbrick, H. H. Kinney, H. R. Kruse, Henry Knopke, J. B. Kokenga, Frederick Kuhlman, John Kemper, Joseph Kissing, B. H. Koster, Christian Kramer, John B. Leining, B. H. Lohman, Philip Lange, D. G. Lamb, Albert Lemkuhl, Henry A. Lears, Charles A. Lingleback, H. H. Lamping, Henry Lemermuhl, Andrew Leipard, G. W. Luckman, John H. Lagers, John D. Lohman, Bernard Lemkohl, H. H. Landware, Francis Lange, C. W. Langhorst, Frederick Meyer, Henry Meyer, John B. Mesloh, H. F. Muker, Jacob Metz, Hamilton Major, Henry W. Meyer, B. H. Mohrman, G. Mohrman, Jacob Mour, Charles Mour, George Mour, Frederick Miller, J. J. Meyer, D. Menkhouse, Henry Muhle, Lewis Meyer, B. Meyer, John W. Menke, Bernard Meyer, Henry Muiers, John H. Meyer, John C. Mohrman, Joseph Meysing, Jacob Metz, Gotlieb Neitert, John Neiter, G. H. Neiter, John W. Neuman, Henry Neismeyer, Stephen Northoff, B. H. Neiberg, John L. Neiswenger, Chas. Neitrich, B. Ortman, Gerhard Osterfelt, John C. Oberwitte, H. H. Oberwitte, Peter Opdike, John A. Osterloh, Theodore Oldiges, B. H. Ostendorf, John H. Pelzer, Adam Paul, John H. Paul, John Paul, F. L. Pohlman, Bernard Planke, H. H. Pansher, Bernard Panning, J. R. tPulsdorfer, Henry Paul, H. H. Quartman, William Ruther, George M. Runager, J. B. Klein Runebaum, Henry Rolfees, Henry Rodekoe, C. H. Richten, Clement Rolfees, H. H. Rump, Oren Rump, Philip Rothous, Frederick Bumping, J. H. Runebaum, Joseph Rolfees, John B. Schmeising, John H. Steinman, E. C. H. L. Sutton, Diederick Schroader, B. F. Schroader, Bernard Schulte, Theresa Stallo, John F. Smith, H. G. Severink, J. J. Thurman, Bernard Sprock, John Sternley, Frederick Seimer, Henry Sunderman, Herman Sunderman, William Sunderman, Henry Schemiller, Isaac Statler, Peter Schneider, J. C. Sumner, F. A. Stube, John H. Schemel, Henry Steinmeyer, Henry Stollman, Rudolph Sagers, Frederick Sollman, William Sollman, J. H. Schemiller, H. W. Schowa, Casper Severing, H. H. Stueve, H. Stuckenberger, J. H. Stuckenberger, Gerhard Schilmiller, J. H. Schulter, Herman Stallo, William Scholling, H. H. Stewing, William Sunderland, Henry Schulte, ____ Schlepper, Henry Schulter, Joseph Suerman, Bernard Smock, John W. Schelling, Peter Staub, John R. Tanke, John H. Timmerman, J. G. Tangeman, H. H. Tangeman, J. J. Taubius, William Tonius, Bernard Tape, John H. Taubling, C. F. Totgenhorst, J. H. Timmerman, H. H. Trankamp, H. F. Teaman, B. Tangeman, Bernard J. Tape, Henry Uphaus, H. H. Vornholt, F. H. Vogelsang, William Vockle, J. H. Vocke, H. Vocke, John H. Vanderheer, Joseph H. Vante, Peter VanWiddlesworth, Henry A Wehrman, A. H. Wehrman, Frederick Wehrman, William Wittie, Christopher Wittie, J. F. Wiseman, J. R. Werbling, J. H. Wellman, E. H. Weicher, E. H. Weichman, Adam Wenner, Francis Windhorst, Henry Wendell, William Wendell, John G. Waterman, H. F. Wellman, John Wippenhorst, Francis Weiner, H. H. Walters, H. H. Westjohann, Herman W. Witthoff, Charles Wittenbrink, J. H. H. Zeigenbush.

In what is known on the original plat as the town of Bremen in this township, but which, when the postoffice there was established, took on the name of New Bremen, there were at the time the county was organized the following lot owners: C. L. Albers, Francis Abler, Christopher Brockhoft, J. F. Bosche, William Bechman, Charles Boesel, John B. Behrens, J. F. Bosche & Co., H. H. Bosche, Frederick Dubling, Henry Dannerberg, F. H. Dickman, John Ellerman, B. H. Flaskamp, John W. Fulling, Andrew Garbrick, G. H. Neheman, B. H. Huckerider, William A. Haverman, H. H. Kellerman, John C. Kuenzel, Michael Kuenzel, Frederick Kohlhorst, Gerhard Kleforth, H. H. Klute, J. H. Knost, Koop, Bosche & Koop, Margaret D. Koop, Margaret Justina Koop, Frederick Koop, Georgiana W. Koop, William Koop, H. H. Keitham, William Kamman, William Kuneman, Herman Klenke, Frederick Karrman, Victor Lambrink, H. H. Lamping, John C. Mohrman, P. G. Mourer, John Merker, H. N. Meyer, Sarah M. Meyer, B. H. Mohrman, G. H. Mohrman, B. F. Murker, William Mines, Henry Moller, Charles Nieter, J. C. Oberwitte, Peter Opdike, Henry Quillhorst, Jacob Rice, Christian Smith, William Schrawe, C. H. Schnelle, H. G. Studheite, Charles Smith, J. V. D. Schnelle, Frederick Schulenberg, Frederick Seimer, Henry Schulenberg, Diederick Schroeder, John H. Schulte, Henry Schulte, B. F. Schroeder, L. Sulter, Henry Tapp, August Teaman, Christian Totgenhorst, William Vockle, John H. Wellman, Frederick Wehrman, B. H. Weicher, William Wittie, Christopher Witte, Arnold Weideman, Henry Weicher, W. Wubberling, John W. Weinegar.

In the town of Minster, in what then was a part of German township, but which now is in Jackson township, there were the following lot owners at the time the county was organized: B. H. Ahldemeyer, Albert Albers, John W. Boging, Charles Berting, B. H. Berner, J. H. Burgen, E. H. Busche, H. H. Busche, B. H. Borgman, Francis Bushman, J. H. Busse, Antone Berting, Lucas Clement, J. H. Dickman, C. H. Dickman, John M. Drees, H. H. Droop, Francis Fortman, J. B. Frederick, John Flickenstein, J. H. Feltman, Henry Frerat, Joseph Garvels, H. E. Gospohl, John H. Gossman, Casper Goer, Lewis Hute, Antone Haverback, J. H. Harkenhoff, B. Handorp, B. Hanke, J. H. Heckfort, F. Holtzgrover, S. Hinders, Theodore Hute, John Jensens, Henry Kalverlage, C. & B. Kruse, Engle Kramer, Anton Kramer, B. Kramer, B. H. Kramer, Joseph Klein, Henry Knappe, H. Knostman, Henry Klein, B. A. Kooper, John B. Leining, John Luke, Charles Lau, G. H. Luckman, G. H. Lemmermuhl, Francis Lange, Lange & Bruner, Frederick Morse, B. Manke, Frederick Meyer, John W. Menke, Bernard H. Neinburg, H. Neinburg, William Oldiges, E. M. Phelps, G. H. Paul, N. Pohlman, James M. Pilliott, John M. Pelster, H. H. Quartman, Herman Rehling, Henry Rehling, J. F. Roenkohl, Henry Rothway, O. C. Road, J. W. Riley, John Rees, John H. Schemmel, John Schemmel, Francis Sprehe, John H. Steinman, Ferdinand Stunteback, Lewis Stallo, H. F. Steinback, Henry Steinback, E. H. Schemmel, Theresa Stallo, H. H. Stueve, F. F. Steinback, G. C. Smith, William Scholling, Henry Schlater, H. Tangeman, J. J. Tobias, H. H. Treaskamp, G. H. Tangeman, H. Taubling, Henry B. Kotter, J. H. Vocke, Henry Willoh, John B. Willoh, Bernard Waggeman, F. Witterer, ____ _ Westbrook, John H. Willoh, B. A. Wendell, C. Willoh, Jacob Zimmer and Henry Zumbruik.

In the settlement then known as Amsterdam, in German township, but which long since lost its place on the map, there were the following lot owners listed at the time the county was organized: Richard Ames, Henry Beckman, Bernard Brewster, William Berner, William Buhlman, L. D. Dowty, the Widow Goker, J. H. Gosman, H. H. Helm, Frederick Icem, Franklin Linzee, G. H. Neiman, E. M. Phelps, H. Quelhorst, Samuel Buckman and Frederick Snuck. There also were the following lot owners at the townsite of Mohrmansville, in this township, at that time: J. P. Friedenburger, Andrew Garbrick, Jacob Morvelius, Herman Moster and B. F. Schroeder. In this township at that time four physicians were listed for special license taxation, namely: E. A. VonBesler, J. P. Schmieder, William A. Haverman and B. H. Nieberg.


Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy