History of Goshen Township - New Hampshire,
Auglaize County, Ohio
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923
GOSHEN TOWNSHIP AND NEW HAMPSHIRE VILLAGE.
Goshen township, situated in the southeastern part of the county, is bounded on the north by Wayne township, on the east by Hardin county, on the south by Logan county and on the west by Union and Clay townships. It is made up of the south half of sections 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 and all of sections 31, 32, 33 and 34 and those parts of sections 35 and 36 lying outside the Virginia military lands in township 5, range 8 east, and those parts of sections 2 and 11 lying outside of the military lands and all of sections 3, 4, 5, and 6 and the upper half of sections 7, 8, 9 and 10 of township 6, same range, all comprising approximately eighteen square miles. The township is drained by the Muchinippe and Willow branch toward the Miami river and by Wallace Fork toward the Sciota, these two rivers thus having their headwaters in this watershed. About one fourth of the surface of this township originally was prairie or black muck and a review written in the late '70s said that "it is only a few years since it was covered with water and only good for duck shooting." However, the settlers about that time began to waken to the need of systematic drainage and Muchinippe creek was dredged to afford a better outlet, with the result that land which theretofore had been considered all but worthless was found to be as good as any in the county. There is little visible evidence now that any of the lands in this township ever were regarded as "worthless." The township is crossed by the Ohio Electric railway (former D. I. & I.), from Defiance to Springfield, which enters from the north in section 29, passes through the village of New Hampshire, about the center of the township, and on out in section 9. The old Wapakoneta and Belle Center pike, now paved with cement to New Hampshire and thence south and east along the embankment of Indian Lake (otherwise known as the Lewistown reservoir) and on to Bellefontaine, is in striking contrast to the makeshifts for roads the pioneers of that region were compelled to put up with. The Sciota River ditch, the straightening of the Muchinippe and the construction of the big Willow branch and the Wallace Fork ditches back in the 10s were the beginning of the days of better things agriculturally for this township and the admirable farm plants which in every direction now dot the township bespeak the wisdom of the promoters of these drainage projects.
FORMERLY PART OF WAYNE TOWNSHIP.
Goshen township formerly was a part of Wayne township, at that time attached to Allen county, and so continued
until set off to itself on petition of landowners there late in the year 1836, four years after the departure of
the Indians. The action along this line is set out in the records of the board of county commissioners for Allen
county as of December 5, 1836, as follows: "Bazle Day then presented a petition for a new township to be struck
off of Wayne township, beginning at the northwest corner of the northwest quarter of section 30, in town 5, south
of range 8 east; thence east to the county line between Allen and Hardin counties, thence south to Logan county
line, thence west with said line to the northwest corner of Logan county, thence south to the northeast corner
of Shelby county, thence west to the southwest corner of section 31 in town 6, south of range 8 east, thence north
to the place of beginning. The commissioners being satisfied that legal notice had been given for the alteration,
or for a new township to be struck off, granted the same petition, and the bounds of township to be described in
the petition, and said township to be designated and known by No. 16, named Goshen. And that the electors of said
township hold an election for township officers at Eli E. Corson's on Saturday, the 17th of December. Advertisements
written and sent by Bazle Day."
LARGEST FARM IN AUGLAIZE COUNTY.
In this township, over in the Military lands section along the eastern line of this county, is the largest farm in Auglaize county and one of the largest farms in northwestern Ohio, the great Manchester farm, which has become widely recognized as a model of agricultural management and further and fitting details concerning which are set out elsewhere in this work. J. H. Manchester, owner of this farm, was twelve years of age when his father settled there in 1865, taking over a tract of 500 acres of unimproved land, which he proceeded to develop and to which he added until at the time of his death he was the owner of 1,000 acres, to which his son has since added until now the Manchester place takes in nearly double that area. Concerning the extensive farming operations carried on in this township, a review written twenty years or more ago, observed that "the great landed estates in the prairie are unsurpassed in picturesque beauty and fertility by any other locality in northern Ohio. * * * The great prairie and its drainage streams, in the former geological period, formed one of the five gaps in the dividing ridge of Ohio, through which the waters of the glacial sea flowed to the south. The great volume of water that flowed through the gap carried vast numbers of icebergs, loaded with great quantities of debris which was deposited as the bergs melted, forming gravel ridges along the line of the ocean current. There are evidences that there were ice gorges at the opening of the ice gap in the north and the bergs scraped and tore up the Erie clay at the bottom of the channel through the prairie. This prairie is also the source of two important rivers of the state, the Sciota and the Great Miami. The Sciota drains the greater part of the east prairie, while Muchinippe creek, head of the Miami, has been deepened and widened until it resembles a small river and drains the western prairie and adjacent territory."
AN OLDEN PICTURE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.
A crayon sketch of what apparently was the chief corner in the village of New Hampshire fifty years ago reveals
the two story log hotel conducted there at that time by William Gullet. Alongside the hotel, which carries a signpost
bearing the legend: "Wm. Gullet, Hotel," there is a somewhat pretentious looking frame barn. At the rear
of the hotel appears the well sweep. An apparent guest of the house is seen seated on the unprotected "stoop"
of the hotel, another is seated on a fence which encloses the barnlot adjoining the house, while two others are
leaning against the fence, all apparently engaged in deep conversation. A traveler is approaching the hostelry
on horseback and a party of four are driving spiritedly past the place in a light spring wagon behind two prancing
horses. Two women are standing at the doorway of the hotel and two men are standing in the middle of the street
shaking hands. The hotel is twelve logs in height, with two doors and two windows opening from the ground floor
and two windows from the second story front and the same number from the second story side, with but one window
in the first floor side.
PIONEERS OF GOSHEN TOWNSHIP.
When Auglaize county was erected in 1848 there were the following landowners in Goshen township, according to
the tax duplicate for that year: William E. Aylesworth, Henry Borton, William Black, Daniel Black, A. S. Bennett,
Salmon, Sampson, Samuel and Washington Buffenberger, C. F. Beebe, Benjamin Bidwell, R. P. Bodwell, James Cramer,
John Conley, Eli Carson, Ephraim Caldwell, Samuel Canada, J. J. Caswell, John Damon, Alanson Earl, John Graham,
Marcus Garrett, Asa Gray, John Gilroy, Joseph Hipple, Gilbert Hurley, Solomon Hanks, Nathaniel Hunter, Jacob Harrod,
Sarah A. Hutchinson, Percifer F. Hucheson, Thomas Irwin, John F. Krouskop, Henry King, James Kelley, John Kindle,
Joseph Klim, William Lewis, Robert Murray, Robert L. G. Means, Ebenezer Miles, William Marquis, Milton McLean,
John McLean, Jonathan and Samuel Morecraft, Elias Miller, Nicholas Martz, John and William North, Francis and John
J. Nicholl, Thomas Patterson, Aaron Richardson, Edwin Stone, Christian, Philip and Sarah Smith, John W. Thomas,
James Thomas, Sr., Sarah Winkley, Joseph F. Witham, Michael Waggant, George P. Williams and John Zaner.