History of Logan Township - Buckland, Auglaize County, Ohio
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923

LOGAN TOWNSHIP AND THE VILLAGE OF BUCKLAND.

Logan civil township on the northern border of Auglaize county covers twenty six and one half square miles of land surface, taking in sections 19 to 36 of congressional township 4 south, range 5 east, and sections 1 to 6 and one half of sections 7 to 12 of township 5, with the village of Buckland on the Auglaize river and the Lake Erie & Western railroad on the south edge of the township in sections 10 and 11. The river enters the township in section 11 of the lower township, winds northerly and out in section 22 of the upper township. It was along this river at the bend in section 26 that the mile square reservation was set off to the heirs of Logan, "the good Indian" and faithful friend and ally of General Harrison's soldiers during the War of 1812, at the time of the treaty at the foot of the Rapids of the Maumee, September 29, 1817. Among the numerous individual reservations created under the terms of Art. 8 of this treaty that clause relating to Chief Logan stipulated a reservation "to the children of the late Shawnee chief, Captain Logan (or Spamagelabe), who fell in the service of the United States during the late war, one section of land, to contain 640 acres, on the east side of the Great Auglaize river, adjoining the upper line of the grant of ten miles at Wapaghkonnetta and the said river," and it is in further honor to this gallant Indian ally of the American arms in this country's second war for independence that Logan township bears its name.

THE STORY OF CAPTAIN LOGAN.

From the older chronicles and histories of the days of Indian occupancy it is learned that Captain Logan, as he came to be known to his white friends and whose Shawnee name is set out above in the quotation from the treaty which honored his memory, was born in the Mad river country and it is said that his mother was a sister of Tecumseh and The Prophet. He was about twelve or fourteen years of age when, along with the famed Grenadier Squaw and others, he was taken prisoner by Col. Benjamin Logan at the Macochee village, in what is now Logan county, in the campaign against the Indians in that region in 1786. It is narrated that the troops were brought to such a frenzy by the engagement that it was with much difficulty that the officers were able to save the life of the Indian lad. Gen. William Lytle, who participated in the engagement, wrote concerning the incident that "a young man by the name of Curner had been to one of the springs to drink. He discovered the young savage by my side and came running toward us. The young Indian supposed he was advancing to kill him. As I turned around, in the twinkling of an eye he let fly an arrow at Curner, for he was armed with a bow. I had just time to catch his arm as he discharged the arrow. It passed through Cutter's dress and grazed his side. The jerk I gave his arm undoubtedly prevented his killing Curner on the spot. I took away his arrows and sternly reprimanded him." It is further narrated that General Logan took the boy home with him and sent him to school until "he acquired considerable education, when he gave him his liberty and his own name." And it was thus that Spamagelabe, a nephew of Tecumseh, came to the ways of civilization and to bear a white man's name.

Elsewhere in this work there are further details concerning Logan's friendliness to the whites after he became a chief of his tribe, for he rejoined the Shawnees, who had been dispersed on the Mad river and had settled among their friends at the Wapakoneta village, and became by reason of his schooling a power among them. It is fitting, however, here in the story of the township which bears his name, to set out the details regarding the death of this brave and gallant man. The story has it that General Harrison, while at Ft. Defiance in November, 1812, directed Logan to take a small party of his tribe and reconnoiter the country in the direction of the rapids of the Maumee. The chief and his scouts met a body of the enemy and were compelled to make a hasty retreat before superior numbers, being so closely pursued that they were obliged to separate. Logan, Captain Johnny and Brighthorn succeeded in making their way to General Winchester's command, and presently Logan had an interview with General Harrison concerning his escape. On this occasion General Perkins, commander of the Kentucky troops, without the slightest ground for such an accusation, charged Logan with treachery and giving intelligence to the enemy. Indignant at the unjust accusation, Logan resolved to distinguish himself in such a manner as would leave no doubt of his loyalty to the United States.

Some days later, on the 22d, Logan proceeded down the Maumee in company with Captain Johnny and Brighthorn, their route being on the north side of the river. They had proceeded about ten miles when they were surprised by a party of six Indians and a white of the name of Elliott, the eldest son of Colonel Elliott of infamous memory, this scouting party being in charge of Chief Winamac, the fiery Pottawattomie who a year before in the absence of Tecumseh in the South had precipitated the battle of the Tippecanoe, in which General Harrison forever shattered Tecumseh's hopes of effecting an Indian confederation. Logan made no resistance to capture, but with admirable diplomacy extended his hand to Winamac, who was an old friend, and told him that he was going to the Rapids to give information to the British. Not wholly satisfied with this explanation, Winamac disarmed Logan and his companions, but after the party had proceeded some miles farther on the journey Logan had so fully impressed Winamac with his apparent sincerity that the latter restored their arms to the captives.

While they were marching Logan succeeded in communicating to his companions, Captain Johnny and Brighthorn, his plan of escape and in the evening when preparations for camp were being made and Winamac's party was off guard Logan gave the signal of attack. At the first fire two of the enemy fell dead and another was mortally wounded, this first fire removing both Winamac and Elliott. At the second fire a young Ottawa chief fell dead and another of the enemy was mortally wounded. By this time Brighthorn had received a bullet wound in his thigh and Logan received a ball just below the breast bone, which ranged downward and lodged under the skin of his back. Desperately wounded as he was, Logan ordered a retreat and he and Brighthorn seizing two of the horses of the enemy made for Winchester's camp, twenty miles away, arriving there during the night. Captain Johnny, after taking the scalp of the Ottawa chief, also retreated in safety and reached camp early in the morning. Logan lived for two days after reaching camp and was buried with the honors of war within the inclosure of Ft. Winchester. The chronicle of the incident has it that "no one more deeply regretted the fatal catastrophe than the author of the charge against Logan's integrity." Major Hardin wrote that "his death caused sorrow as generally and sincerely displayed as I have ever witnessed in the army," and with cause, for his services had been so important that the British had offered a reward of $150 for his scalp.

"The Indian name of Captain Logan is usually written 'Spemica Lawba,' and translated 'High Horn,' but it occurs in other forms," says Jacob Piatt Dunn, of the Indiana Historical Society, who is regarded as an authority on Indian nomenclature. "The first word is the Shawnee 'spum-muk,' which also means 'above' or 'on top.' This confusion of vowel sounds is very common in Indian names and is very natural, for the spelling is phonetic and it is often impossible to determine the short vowels."

AN INDIANA CITY NAMED FOR LOGAN.

Mr. Dunn's story, "The Service of Logan," has it that "in. the spring of 1828 there gathered informally at the site of Logansport (Ind.) a little knot of early settlers, and others interested; to select a name for the new town which had just been surveyed. General Tipton, who admired classic titles, proposed an alleged Latin compound said to mean 'Mouth of the Eel,' which was the name commonly given to the place at the time by the whites. Another proposed Kene-pe-cum-a-qua - the common form of the Miami name of Eel river and of their old town at the mouth of that stream. Others proposed various names and finally Hugh B. McKeen, a son-in-law of Barron, the Indian interpreter who had formerly been in the Indian tribe at Ft. Wayne, proposed the name of Logan, in commemoration of this friend of the whites. The suggestion pleased Colonel Duret, who proposed that 'port' be added to round it out, and by common consent the name was adopted. And so there was given a monument more lasting than stone or bronze to this Indian soldier who died for the people against whom he had fought as a child."

Not long after the treaty of Greenville Logan had married a Shawnee woman who had been taken prisoner by Colonel Hardin in 1789 and who was living in the Hardin household at the time of the treaty. After his marriage Logan had formed a strong attachment to Colonel Hardin and upon his arrival at Ft. Winchester, knowing that he had received his death wound, he sent for Hardin and requested the latter to see that what was due him for his services should be paid over to his family, which was done. Four years later further requital was made when the mile square reservation in what is now Logan township was made over to Logan's children.

Concerning Logan's family, Henry Howe's narrative (1846) has it that Colonel Johnston, the old Indian agent, in a communication to Howe said that "Logan left a dying request that his two sons be sent to Kentucky and there brought up and educated under the care of General. Hardin As soon as peace and tranquility were restored among the Indians, application was made to the chiefs to fulfill the wish of their dead friend to deliver up the boys for conveyance to Frankfort, the residence of Major Hardin. The chiefs were embarrassed and manifested an unwillingness to comply, and in this they were warmly supported by the mother of the children. On no account would they consent to send them so far away as Kentucky, but they agreed that Colonel Johnston should take them and have them schooled at Piqua. This being the best that could be done, in compliance with the dying words of Logan, they were taken to this point, put to school and boarded in a religious, respectable family. The mother of the boys, who was a bad woman, thwarted all the plans for their improvement, frequently taking them off for weeks, giving them bad advice and even, on one or two occasions, brought whisky to the school house and made them drunk. In this way she continued to annoy the school, and finally took them away altogether to raise with herself among the Shawnees at Wapakoneta. I made several other attempts, during my connection with the Indians, to educate and train up to civilized life many of their youth, without any encouraging results - all of them proved failures. The children of Logan, with their mother, emigrated to the West years ago and have there become some of the wildest of their race."

Concerning Brighthorn, who was severely wounded during the scrimmage with Winamac's men, it is recorded that he recovered from his wound and at the close of the war returned to Wapakoneta and reestablished himself in his cabin on Quaker run, where he died about 1825. It has been written of Brighthorn that "he was a man of large stature and commanding appearance" and that "his fidelity to General Harrison and the American army was never questioned." Big Captain Johnny, who also figured in the scrimmage which cost Logan his life, had his home on the west bank of Pusheta creek, just about where that stream empties into the Auglaize, west of Wapakoneta, is said to have been seven feet in height and "as frightfully ugly as he was large." It is said that he died about four years following the close of the war and was buried in the burial ground maintained by his people at the mouth of the Pusheta.

ORGANIZATION OF LOGAN TOWNSHIP.

Logan township, which is bounded on the north by Allen county, on the east by Duchouquet township, on the south by Moulton township and on the west by Noble and Salem townships, was formerly a part of Allen county, its lands having been included in Amanda and Moulton townships of that county. Upon the delimitation of the township lines upon the erection of Auglaize county in 1848, three tiers of sections were taken from the lower part of Amanda) township and one and one half tiers from the upper part of Moulton township and to the new township thus erected was given the name of Logan. It is in this township, on the northern border of the same, along the river at the site of the old Ottawa town in section 22 that Ft. Amanda was erected as a means of defense along the Auglaize during the War of 1812, and the site of this fort, a detailed story of which is set out elsewhere in this work, became the center of settlement of that section of the county in the days when white men came to seek their homes in the wilderness here. In the chapter relating to the settlement period the story is told of the first land entries in this township and of how the old block houses of the fort served the first settlers as places of habitation until they could put up cabins of their own and better suited to their notions of living. An older review has it that "at the time of the organization of the township in 1848 the Defiance road was the principal one, the others being called 'hoop-pole' roads. The construction of roads and the building of bridges were slow of progress until 1880. That year marks a new era in the history of the township. In that year the Kossuth and Amanda roads were constructed. Two years were sufficient to demonstrate the great utility of these public enterprises. Since then nearly every public road in the township has been piked. Since 1880 the rude wooden bridges have been replaced by substantial iron structures."

In this township at the time Auglaize county was erected in 1848 there were the following landowners listed for taxation: Russell Berryman, Thomas Berryman, William Blackburn, William Barr, Ebenezer Buck, Jacob Baker, Henry Barnes, Jr., E. G. Barney, John Cunningham, Thomas Clawson, Hercules Carroll, James Crozier, Nathaniel Clawson, James Chaney, Robert Dillon, David Y. Yates, Green Everett, John Ferrell, Daniel Gregory, Francis Gregory, Harrison Gregory, Jacob Haines, Jacob Hiveday, George B. Holt, George W. Holmes, Edward Helfenstein, Martin Hire, ____ Helands, Ezekiel Hoover, Elijah Kerner, John Hemelin, William Lapham, Robert Moody, William Miner, Henry McConnell, Abraham Miller, Isaac Mills, Ruel Pritchard, Thomas Prosserd, Simon Perkins Jacob Perkins, William Ringer, David Richardson, G. W. Richardson, William S. Rose, Albert Spiker, Henry Stoddard, Philip Terwillinger, William Taylor, Peter Voris, J. and C. N. D. Waite, Abraham Whetstone and J. A. and E. M. Whetstone.

THE COMING OF THE RAILROAD.

The village of Buckland, the only village in this township, was laid out in the fall of 1872, following the survey of the line of the old Lake Erie & Louisville railway (now the Lake Erie & Western railway) through that part of the county, two of the landowners there at the site of the old Indian village of Whitefeather, John H. Gochenour and Josiah Clawson, having realized that this was a very likely site for a railway station when the trains presently should be running along there. Their original plat, which was filed for record on February 1, 1873, was a plat of thirty lots, west of the river in section 11, broken diagonally about the center by the line of the railway, Clawson's land lying to the north of the railway and Gochenour's south, and they gave to their prospective town the name of Whitefeather. When the railroad came along the railroad company named the station which they established at that point Buckland, in honor of General Buckland, of Fremont, one of the active promoters of the road, and this also became the postoffice name of the town. When in 1891 the village, which by that time had acquired a population of 200 or more, applied to the commissioners of the county for a grant to incorporate for civil and school purposes, a petition was presented asking that the name of the place be changed from Whitefeather to Buckland and it was so ordered. At the first village election W. G. Brorein was elected mayor; W. U. Lathrop, clerk; W. N. Dingledine, treasurer; T. Bodkin, marshal, and Dr. R. W. Sharp, J. H. Gochenour, D. W. Kiester, Henry Sites, Fred Ziegenbush and A. Nuss, members of the town board. Since the establishment of this village several additions have been made to the original plat as the growth of the town warranted and the present population, according to the census report for 1920, is 258. Buckland is a convenient local trading point and has stores and shops sufficient for the demands made upon it in this direction, but its proximity to the neighboring cities of Wapakoneta and St. Marys has operated to prevent any very active growth.

The first postoffice within the present bounds of Logan township was established at old Ft. Amanda in the days of the post riders, who rode between Piqua and Defiance, and Samuel Washburn was the first postmaster. This section of the county, there along the river, was a favorite hunting ground not only for the Indians but for the white settlers and it is related that the forest abounded in game of all kinds. An older chronicle relates of Russell Berryman, one of the first settlers in that township, that at a deer crossing one morning he shot seven deer before breakfast. The river then also is said to have abounded with fish of many varieties not now found in it and that at certain seasons sturgeons of great size would come up the stream from the Lake. It is related that on one occasion Thomas Berryman was crossing the river on a footlog and saw a great sturgeon struggling up the ripple. The water was shallow and the fish was floundering under the log when Berryman leaped upon its back and forcing both hands into its gills attempted to steer it ashore. The struggle was long and tense, but finally Berryman landed his prize, which proved to be about eight feet in length. Besides the Logan reservation in this township, which has been noted above, the Wapakoneta ten mile Indian reservation covered the southeast quarter of the township and until lands there were opened to settlement in 1832 settlers were backward about locating in that part of the county, which thus got a later start than some other portions of the county.


Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy