History of Moulton Township - Glynwood, Auglaize
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923
MOULTON TOWNSHIP, GLYNWOOD AND MOULTON.
Moulton township, situated in the midwestern part of the county, is made up of one half of sections 7, 8, 9,
10, 11 and 12 and sections 13 to 36 of township 5 south, range 5 east, and thus covers twenty seven squares miles.
The township is bordered on the north by Logan township, on the east by Duchouquet township, on the south by Washington
township and on the west by Noble township. It is drained on the east by the Auglaize river, which enters in section
36 and winds west of north and out in section 11, taking several remarkable twists and turns on its way. Six Mile
creek, a tributary of the St. Marys river, drains the western half of the township and these two streams are supplemented
by a complete system of drainage ditches, which long ago reclaimed what formerly was a good bit of waste land in
the township. Pusheta creek empties into the Auglaize in section 36. Two unincorporated villages, Glynwood, on
the creek in the southwest quarter of section 20, and Moulton, on the southern edge of the township in the southwest
quarter of section 33, are trade and social centers of much convenience to the people of the township. Glynwood
is situated on the Lake Erie & Western railroad, which enters the township from the northeast in section 10
and passes out on its way to St. Marys in section 30. Moulton is situated on the Toledo & Ohio Central railway
and the Western Ohio electric line, which follow the St. Marys and Wapakoneta highway along about the southern
border of the township. The old Wapakoneta Indian reservation line cut through this township at almost the immediate
center north and south. Due to the peculiarly irregular conformation of Auglaize county, Moulton township is the
only one of the county's fourteen townships that does not touch a border of one of the neighboring counties.
OLD CHIEF CORNSTALK AND BLUE JACKET.
With the exception of the lands along the river that old Chief Cornstalk's clan had cleared for their cornfields, the region now covered with well tilled farms was a forest wilderness that offered little encouragement to the endeavors of man, but the settlers realized the job that was cut out for them and with the directness of the frontiersman were not long in getting the job well under way. Old Chief Cornstalk went with his tribe to their new lands in the West in 1832 and there died about ten years later. He was a son of the celebrated Shawnee chief, Peter Cornstalk, who was assassinated at Point Pleasant in 1774, and it has been written of him that, like his father, he "was commanding in appearance and had the lofty bearing of the true savage." With the rest of his Wapakonetan tribesmen he resisted Harmar, St. Clair and Wayne, but after the second battle at Ft. Recovery recognized that the white man was coming in to stay and he signed the treaty of Greenville and ever after was a good Indian, making his home along the Auglaize about two miles down the river from the council house at Wapakoneta until the Shawnees were moved West, he then being past eighty years of age. He directed the farm operations of his people here and when the white men came in they found a good deal of tilled land along the bottoms up through the present Moulton township.
Cornstalk apparently also was somewhat of a statesman. In Henry Harvey's history of the Shawnees it is set out
that "when the Wyandot Indians of Ohio sold their reservation to the United States they demanded that the
Shawnees should cede to them a tract of land containing 150 square miles, lying at the east end of the Shawnee
lands, claiming that that amount of land was due to them for privileges they had granted the Shawnees in Ohio.
The demand was met by violent opposition from the Shawnees. A meeting of the chiefs was held to discuss the unjust
demand. Among the most prominent speakers who opposed the measure was Peter Cornstalk, a very old man and son of
the celebrated Chief Cornstalk, a conspicuous character in the Governor Dunmore war. He declared that he was as
old a man as the commissioner was and that he did not believe one word he said about the Wyandots having done so
much for the Shawnees. He thought it very strange that the Government could remember so much the Wyandots had done
for them and know so little about it. 'Strange,' said he, 'I must have been asleep a long time. 'Well,' he continued,
'the Wyandots have given the United States a great deal of land; the United States have plenty - more, by far,
than the Shawnees have - and I propose that they just give the Wyandots a little, and not beg it of the Shawnees
VILLAGES OF MOULTON TOWNSHIP.
The village of Glynwood, on Six Mile creek and the Lake Erie & Western railway, in the southwest quarter
of section 20 of this township was platted by John Glynn, who owned the land there, upon the coining of the railroad,
the plat, an irregular tract of thirty lots traversed diagonally by the line of the railway, having been filed
for record on July 27, 1876. John Glynn was thirty one years of age when he came to this country from his native
Ireland and located at Columbus, this state. Six years later he came up here and bought the farm on which he settled
down in Moulton township. Glynwood is a convenient local trading and shipping point, but has not attained much
growth. The village of Moulton, which has been recognized as a similar local center since the days of the old plank
road, attained a little more prominence with the coming of the T. & O. C. railway and the Western Ohio electric
line, but its situation as a half way point between St Marys and Wapakoneta has prevented its expansion. The census
report for 1920 gave it a population of 106.