History of Pusheta Township - Freyburg, Auglaize
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923
PUSHETA TOWNSHIP AND THE VILLAGE OF FREYBURG.
Pusheta township, which is made up of sections 1 to 30 of township 6 south, range 4 east, and thus comprises
within its bounds an area of thirty square miles, is bounded on the north by Duchouquet township, on the east by
Clay township, on the south by Shelby, county and on the west by Washington township, with the village of Freyburg
in the southeast quarter of section 15, two miles east of the Baltimore & Ohio railway and the main line of
the Western Ohio electric railway, which enter the township from Wapakoneta in section 5 and follow the Sidney-Wapakoneta
highway east of south and out toward Sidney in section 29, not far from the town of Botkins, in the neighboring
county of Shelby. The Toledo & Ohio Central railway also cuts through the northeastern corner of the township
in sections 1, 2, 3 and 12. Pusheta creek crosses the township from the east, through the village of Freyburg and
Quaker Run rises in the township, flowing northwesterly to enter the Auglaize at Wapakoneta. Other smaller streams
offer exceptional advantages for natural drainage and this has been augmented by a thorough system of ditches.
The southwest corner of the township drains toward the Miami, the "divide" being caused here by the St.
Johns ridge, which extends through the township from east to west, forming an elevated table land. The elevated
portion of the township was formerly heavily timbered, the uplands having been particularly rich in hard maple.
It is recorded that "for fifty years the ridge was an ideal camping ground and in the months of February and
March the Pusheta Indians and other tribes devoted their attention to the manufacture of maple sugar from the extensive
sugar maple groves that covered the uplands." This land was occupied by the aboriginals until their departure
from this region in 1832.
THE HOME OF HENRY HARVEY.
It was in this township, in the vicinity of what later came to be known as the Shanahan cemetery, that Henry
Harvey, the Quaker missionary and teacher who long ministered to the Indians on the Wapakoneta Indian reservation
had his home and his school, and two of his children lie in that quiet rural burying ground, which also was the
site of an old Indian burial ground. In this burial ground it also is said there lie the remains of a devoted teacher
of the Catholic faith, Sister Mary Green, a native of Canada, who had accompanied a party of visiting Jesuits to
the Wapakoneta reservation in 1828 and had elected to remain among the Indians as a teacher. It is said that she
died of consumption in the home of Mr. Harvey in 1831 and that many years afterward her brother sought out the
place of her burial and was successful in locating the grave in which she lay. The Wapakoneta reservation covered
all of this township save the lower tier of sections and half of the second tier from the south.
The first school house in this township was that erected along Quaker Run in the northeast quarter of section 19 in 1834, a typical log school house which was used for many years afterward. The village of Freyburg in the east half of the southeast quarter of section 15 and occupying the site of a former Indian village there along Pusheta creek, was platted on January 3, 1837, by Beal Spurrier, who had settled in this township the year before. The original plat of Freyburg shows a tract of forty one lots broken about midway north and south by Pusheta creek, the plat comprising four blocks with Schemel street as the north street, Sidney street at the south and with Seiter street on the east and Spring, VanBuren and Walnut the other streets, running north and south. A later addition on the north added Main and Sycamore streets as east and west streets. The proximity of this village to the county seat has prevented any very extensive growth and its position off any railway restricts its commercial activities to purely local needs. It is a pleasant social center, however, and the center of St. John's Catholic parish, which had its establishment there in 1850. The census for 1920 gives the village a population of 150. Though the name of this hamlet is given on the original plat as Freyburg, it more often than not is spelled Fryburg and is so given in the state gazetteer.
PIONEERS OF PUSHETA TOWNSHIP.
According to the tax duplicate for the year 1848 there were the following landowners in Pusheta township when
Auglaize county was erected: Michael Annessor, Margaret B. Altain, Mina Allbrant, L. H. Altenbach, Maritz Altenbach,
William Butterworth, Paul Birk, J. & J. Biersdorfer, Joseph Bush, Sr., Joseph Bush, Jr., F. K. Bush, Jacob
and Earhart Birk, Jacob, Michael, John and Betsy Bubp, Michael Baeumel, Henry Brocus, N. Berlain, Peter Brocus,
Joseph Bauman, Frederick Boardman, Philip Brown, Nathaniel Bowers, Adam Back, Charles Brison, Samuel Bowers, William
Bechdolt, Joseph Brockert, John Bresler, Nathan Brokit, C. D. Capner, Jacob Colter, Mary Conklin, William and Edward
Craft, Lawrence Clickite, Henry Crowell, Nathaniel F. Canal, David Cromwell, Thomas Cochlin, John Davis, Simon
Dresher, Andrew Dresher, Henry Delong, Anthony Dirker, John Elliott, John and Adam Englehaupt, James Elliott, George
Emerick, Mathias Eissart, Casper Feuslin, Dominicus Flaiz, Michael Flavias, Sr. Michael Flavias, Jr., Adam Fable,
Peter, Charles and Blazy Fisher, George Faller, Lawrence Fisher, Michael Frantz, Andrew Fisher, John Frantz, Henry
Freyer, Michael Foessler, John Guesseler, Conrad Grashaus, Earnest Graw, John Gearhart, Ludwig Helpling, Christian
Haller, Christian Heisler, Joseph and Farras Hemert, H. H. Hermer, Melchoir Hechel, Bernard Helsinger Albert Heitzler,
Samuel Henry, Samuel Harvey, Asa Harvey, Elizabeth Harvey, David Haroff, J. G. Hefting, Michael Hemert, Frederick
Heidepole, Henry and Conrad Huttes, William Hein, J. Hershman, G. W. Holbrook, Geo. Henzler, Catherine Harbst,
John Henskey George Hoffman, Jr., John Hankler, Joseph Haggeman, Benedict Hoover, David and Job Johnston, Jacob
Judy, Hugh Jelly, George Kigger, John Kitchen, John Koch, Jr., George Koch, John Kick, Adam Knecht, Nicholas Knarr,
Kloff & Monte, William Kirtland, George Kentner, Lawrence Kohn, Valentine Kinstler, John Kohn, Adam Keifer,
John Keller, Augustin Klipfel, Christian King, Andrew Kress, Jacob Kolter, John Kentner, Adam Knear, John King,
the Widow Klopfen, John Lenox, Sr., John Lenox, Jr., John Luntz, N. Longworth, Calvin P. Lenox, George Manger,
Robert McCullough, Jr., George Masters, Fred Mittendarf, Joseph Millman, John Miller, Casper Marganthel, John Mellinger,;Samuel
and Joseph Meyers, Anthony Meyer, Samuel Marshall, John and Joseph Manger, John Metz, Casper Nippgin, Philip Nagel,
Frederick Nanemaker, Frederick Naucamp, Andrew Nuss, Jr., Peter Obelz, Elizabeth Oswald, Sebastian Plum, Casper
Peach, Christian Ruck, John Conrad and T. R. V. Roth, Christian Ruck, Joseph Reisensing, George J. and Peter Rohrbacher,
John Rupert, Jacob and G. H. Ruck, Reseberger & Dick, Jacob Ruck, E. D. Roe, John Sametinger, Michael Seller,
Isaac Saville, Peter Shoup, George State, Michael Smith, Shiveley & Trader, Conrad Schemmel, Benjamin Stanley,
Michael and Gervasey Seiter, John Schaffer, Michael Seifert, H. D. Stout, Andrew and Benedict Shaup, John Schaft,
Henry Shannahan, William Stockdale, Benjamin Spray, James & R. Spray, Jacob Snider, C. & L. Seiter, John
Schurr, Paul Stewart, Lorentz and Christian Sametinger, Charlotte Spankenbord, Samuel Studebacher, Michael Snider,
George Schlanker, Frederick Seitz, George Schafer, Anson Sateal, William Trebien, Christian, Abraham, Peter and
Jacob Tobias, Mathias Taimmer, Michael Usserman, Henry Ulmer, Philip VanBlaricon, Thomas B. and William A. VanHorn,
William Vorhis, Jacob Vorhis, Andrew Vale, Coleban Wilhelm, John Weimert, Jr., Mathias Wagner, Cornelius Winegardner,
John and Andrew West, Peter S. Wilson, Nicholas Wehmert, Elizabeth Wise, Christopher Wagner, Henry Waltz, Peter
Wagner, John Young, Nicholas Zanglein, David Ziegler and Andrew Zanglein.