History of Salem Township - Kossuth, Auglaize
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923
SALEM TOWNSHIP AND THE VILLAGE OF KOSSUTH.
This township, as has been set out above, formerly was connected with what is now Noble township for civil purposes,
at that time the lower part of the township having been attached to Mercer county and the upper part to VanWert
and Allen counties. It was erected in 1836 and organized in 1837 and upon being taken into the new county of Auglaize
in 1848 was given its present name. It is not a true congressional township, being sections 19 to 36 of township
4 south, range 4 east, and sections 1 to 6 of township 5, same range, and thus has but twenty four square miles
of area. Salem township is the northwestern township of Auglaize county and is bounded on the north by VanWert
and Allen counties, on the east by Logan township, on the south by Noble township and on the west by Mercer county,
with the village of Kossuth on the Miami & Erie canal in the south half of section 25. The canal traverses
the township, ranging from a half mile to a mile and a half from the eastern edge, the curves and angling lines
of the waterway having been surveyed with a view to cutting through the "divide" at the most accessible
spot, this having been what came to be known as "Deep Cut" on the northern border of the township in
section 23. In the days of canal activity Deep Cut attained the dignity of a postoffice and had a store or two,
a mill and other forms of enterprise, but with the passing of the canal this point subsided.
EARLY SETTLEMENT RETARDED BY SWAMPS.
The St. Marys river traverses this township, entering in section 1 of the lower township and winding and twisting
north of west and on out in section 30 of the upper township, with Big Run, in the west part of the township as
its chief tributary. With the exception of the ridge which passes through the northern part, the surface of the
township is flat and in pioneer days its ever present swails were covered with water during the greater part of
the year, the heavy timber throughout this section holding the water as in a sponge. This condition of things operated
to retard settlement and but little progress was made in the development of the township until after the construction
of the canal, when the coming of saw mills and the opening of a ready market provided an incentive to settlement.
With the passing of the forest and the drainage of the swamps that had marked the ground surface, a continuation
of the great Black Swamp which held back so much the early settlement of the country north of there, the rich soil
responded to tillage and has long been one of the choice garden spots of the county.