History of Washington Township - New Knoxville,
Auglaize County, Ohio
From: History of Auglaize County, Ohio
Edited By: William J. McMurray
Histotical Publishing Company
Indianapolis - 1923
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP AND THE VILLAGE OF NEW KNOXVILLE.
Washington township on the southern border of Auglaize county in the second row of townships from the west is
made up of thirty sections (1-30) of township 6 south, range 5 east, five miles north and south and six miles east
and west, and thus has thirty square miles of as choice lands as are found in the county. The township is bordered
on the north by Moulton township, on the east by Pusheta township, on the south by Shelby county and on the west
by St. Mary's township, with the village of New Knoxville occupying three fourths of a mile square in the southwest
corner of the township in sections 19, 20, 29 and 30. The Western Ohio Electric railway cuts across the extreme
northwest corner of the township, following the line of the St. Marys-Wapakoneta highway (the old plank road),
and is the only railway line in the township.
ORGANIZATION OF THE TOWNSHIP.
Washington township was formerly attached to Allen county for civil purposes and was given a separate civil
entity late in the year 1836, the journal of the board of commissioners for Allen county as of December 1, 1836,
noting that on petition of resident citizens in town 6 south, range 5 east, it was "ordered that a new township
be erected, to be designated and known by the name of. Washington. It was further ordered that legal notices should
be posted up in the new township of Washington for the election of township officers, said election to be held
at the dwelling house of George Esperson on the 20th day of December, 1836." The Wapakoneta Indian reservation
took in a little more than the northeast quarter of this township, and there thus was little settlement here until
after the departure of the Indians in 1832. There had, however, prior to that departure been several entries of
lands in that portion of the township not comprised within the reservation, the tract book showing the presence
here in 1831 of Shadrach Montgomery, William Spray, Thomas Chambers and Samuel McCullough; and in 1832, of Ephraim
McKinney, Samuel Stabler, Samuel Howell, John Campbell and Ebenezer Lucas, and by the time the township was organized
in 1836 pretty much all the most desirable land had been taken up.
PIONEERS OF WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP.
When Auglaize county was erected in 1848 there were the following landowners in Washington township, as revealed
by the tax duplicate for that year: Bernard Afferth, Jacob Arnett, John Arnett, Demas Adams, Jonathan Bolander,
John Bates, Gotlieb Burke, William Burton, Case Broderick, Lewis Brocksick, Robert Brannum, J. V. Brunner, Samuel
Blakesley, Mary Braman, David Catterdon, Charles Cumings, Robert Cathcart, William Cook, Jacob Coverston, Gordon
Cecil, Spencer Cole, John L Campbell, H. H. Conklin, Hollister Cole, Cottril Gershom, Malcolm Campbell, William
Casad, Thomas Carey, Joseph Campbell, Morgan Copsey, George Copsey, William Copsey, George Deigle, Henry Fledderjohan,
Adam Fledderjohan, William Fledderjohan, Christian Forney, Joel Fuller, Henry Frische, Jacob Fike, John Frounfelter,
Thomas Flowers, Ignatz Fisher, Daniel Gerhart, Henry Green, Henry Gudorf, Stratton Gorham, Adolph Haverkamp, Jacob
Hudson, Henry Holscher, Jefferson Howell, Bernard Harmer, Jacob Hover, John M. Howell, Benjamin Hawkins, Jesse
Hudson, William Hudson, Jesse Hudson, Sr., Christopher Harvey, H Hicks, Jonathan Hankins, Mary Hall, George Holtzbecker,
Benjamin Julian, William Jackson, Anna Koler, William Kuck, John Kitchen, Henry Kruse, Thomas Keiser, J. W. Lutterbeck,
Abraham Long, Henry Lutterbeck, Frederick Leathers, Ebenezer Lucas, James T. Luttrell, W. H. J. Lambers, John Miller,
J. E. McFarland, Henry Miller, Jacob Miller, William, Adam, Herman and Henry Meckstroth, Shadrach Montgomery, Samuel
McCullough, Frederick Marquand, Cord Meyer, Robert McMurray, Peter D. Mellinger, H. H. Neimeyer, Charles F. Oswald,
John Powell, Samuel Pence, William Pence, Joseph Patton, Benjamin Powell, George Roberts, Charles Route, Isaac
Rhodes, John Roberts, William Redwilliam, Sarah Roberts, Rebecca Roberts, Jesse Roberts, William Ryan, Zachariah
Ryan, Elijah Ryan, John Rodeheifer, Elvira Ritter, Jacob Rolle, Mathias, Solomon, Julian and Benjamin Saum, Henry
Shannahan, Philip Stilway, J. H. Schraver, Casper Smith, H. W. Sunderman, Conrad and John Stroth, John Straw, Benjamin
Stiles, Martin Schade, Isaac Sheets, Henry Shearer, J. Smith, J. B. Tobias, Christian Tobias, John Tailing, Henry
Vanneman, Dominicus Vandever, Frederick Wellman, John Wiley, Jefferson A. Walters, Boiles Wirck, Henry Wellman,
James J. Wilkins, Daniel Woodruff, V. H. Weaver, Mahlon Wahl, Nehemiah York and John Younger.
THE VILLAGE OF NEW KNOXVILLE.
New Knoxville, which is situated on the left bank of the Center fork of the St. Marys river in the southwestern
corner of Washington township, in the northwest corner of section 29 and the northeast corner of section 30, was
platted as a townsite under the name of Knoxville and this plat was filed for record in the office of the recorder
of Allen county on July 30, 1836, by the proprietor of the townsite, James K. Lytle, who at that time was operating
the mill at that point and very properly had come to the conclusion that this mill and the adjoining store would
serve as a nucleus for a village. Lytle had bought this mill from Cummins, Mather & Brown, who had established
it, and who upon selling the mill had opened a store, thus opening a trading center as well as a milling point,
and it was not long until quite a nice little hamlet had sprung up there, this having developed during the years
until the census report for 1920 now gives it a population of 537, with all the conveniences of a modern village
save railway connection, the town having the usual complement of stores and industries and a bank. The town was
incorporated in 1874.