The City of East Palestine is situated on the main line of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railroad, fifty
miles west of Pittsburg, eighteen miles southeast of Youngstown, eighty nine miles east of Cleveland and within
a night's ride of Chicago and New York, in one of the most fertile agricultural sections of Ohio.
The present railroad facilities of the city consist of the four track Pennsylvania system. Switches extend from
the Pittsburgh, Lisbon and Western Railway within one mile of the city corporation limits, connecting with such
lines as the Lake Erie and New York Central.
Five bus lines are now serving the city's traveling public, two extending between East Palestine, Ohio, and Beaver
Falls, Pa., via Darlington; one line operating between East Palestine and Salem, Ohio, via Unity, Columbiana and
Washingtonville and two lines operating between East Palestine and Youngstown, via Unity, Columbiana and North
Lima and from East Palestine to Youngstown via Unity, Petersburg, New Middleton and Poland, giving East Palestine
and surrounding cities within a radius of forty miles a network of splendid bus lines, accommodating all outlying
territories within the region and making East Palestine the center of their activities.
East Palestine has become the center of a great system of highly improved highways covering all the east, north,
west and southern sections surrounding the city.
As a manufacturing center, East Palestine ranks favorably with any city of it size. A striking feature is the diversity
of its products. Herewith is presented a list of its principal manufacturing institutions of this city:
The W. S. George Pottery.
The National Tire and Rubber Company.
The Electrical Refractories Company.
The New Tread Tire Company.
The Castle Rubber Company.
The Apex Furniture Manufacturing Company.
Pyle Manufacturing Company.
The National Fireproofing Company.
McClure Wood Ventilator Company.
Madden Lumber and Construction Company.
East Palestine Lumber Company.
Efficiency Electric Company.
The Coll Preserving Company.
The Adamson Manufacturing Company.
The payrolls of these industries aggregate many hundreds of thousands of dollars annually and make this city a
truly prosperous community and its merchants are enabled to carry stocks of goods equal to those in the larger
places. The labor is for the most part high class, and the morale of the community is therefore of such a nature
that it makes East Palestine a desirable place in which to live.
The City of East Palestine and its surrounding territory has been generously blessed with natural resources and
its hills and farms within a short distance from the city are still underlaid with thousands of acres of coal,
fire clay, cannel, oil and brick shales, and building stones.
The city draws its water from artesian wells northeast of the city and which will be ample to accommodate the city's
increasing population for some years to come.
The city's leading industries are engaged in the manufacture of pottery ware, automobile tires and tubes, high
pressure steel tanks, foundry work, electrical refractories, preserves and food products, electric wiring devices,
wooden ventilators, fire proofing, artificial ice, etc.
One of the newly arrived industries operative to the City of East Palestine and vicinity is orcharding. Columbiana
County, in which the City of East Palestine is located, has one half million fruit trees and it is estimated that
Mahoning County, Ohio, Lawrence and Beaver counties, Pa., have another half million of fruit trees, making a million
fruit trees within easy trucking distance of East Palestine.
Large storage and preserving facilities are being developed in view of making East Palestine the center of the
fruit industry in this section of the state. Industrial employment for many years has been continuous and profitable,
with the growing tendency of large city industries to seek less congested areas having all city facilities.
East Palestine schools, including senior and junior high schools, are rated among the best in the state, its graduates
being eligible to college entry without further examination. Churches of almost every denomination flourish here,
as do many of the leading fraternal orders.
Church Organizations. - The United Presbyterian Church of East Palestine is more than four score years old.
The first preaching in the town was in 1835 by Rev. David Norwood, a minister of the Associate Church of Mt. Jackson.
The organization took place in 1842, conducted by Rev. J. L. Speer. Two of the leading spirits in this move were
James C. Taggart ands James Nevin. The first pastor was Rev. Samuel Patterson, who was installed in 1849. He also
preached for the Rocky Springs congregation at New Galilee. This church was at one time connected with the church
at Darlington. The first building was on a lot adjoining the old cemetery, and was erected in 1838. The next was
on the present site and was built in 1853, the ground being donated by elders James Taggart and Robert Chamberlin.
This building was on the rear of the lot and served the congregation until 1898, when the present building was
erected, and dedicated in the fall of 1899. Rev. David R. Miller D. D., a former pastor, preaching the sermon.
At this time the present pastor, Rev. E. E. Douglass, entered upon a pastorate of six years. The following names
are on the roll as having been pastors: Patterson, Sturgeon, Houston, Curry, Collins, Winter, Miller, Walker, Gray,
Rockwell, Turnbull, Douglass. The present membership is over 350. The Sunday school is about equal the church membership,
and steadily growing. There is no debt on the property.
The officers are as follows: chairman of the congregation, C. F. Woods; vice chairman, James McCready; recording
secretary, Mrs. Harvey Beight; financial secretary, Mrs. Jennie Quay; treasurer, R. B. Taggart. Members of session:
E. E. Douglass, R. F. Taggart, W. S. George, N. B. Patterson, George Eaton, A. C. Taylor, Forb Chamberlin and R.
C. McNight. Trustees: J. H. Conley, James McCready, Bert Benton, John Early, R. B. Taggart and Roy Madden. Supt.
Sunday school, Forb Chamberlin; secretary, Frank Mayes; treasurer, R. C. McNight.
Grace Lutheran Church, W. H. Oelschlager, pastor. - The first service was conducted in Failer's Hall, Jan. 22,
1911. Services were conducted each Sunday afternoon by Rev. C. D. Fisher and the present pastor, alternately.
This arrangement continued until a permanent organization was effected Aug. 6, 1911. After Sept. 14, 1913, and
till the church was built, services were held in the old Disciple Church on Rebecca Street.
The corner stone of the church was laid Nov 29, 1914, and the church was dedicated May 30, 1915. A parsonage was
built, and was ready for occupancy Feb. 18, 1918.
There were thirty six charter members; present membership is 270. Church of the Nazarene was organized in March,
1908, with sixty three charter members. As soon as the organization was perfected the church dedicated to "arise
and build." They secured the site on which the present church building is located and ground was broken the
following May. On Nov. 1, 1908, General Supt. Dr. H. E. Reynolds dedicated the building to the worship of God,
and God owned and blessed the new church with an immediate and very productive revival. Rev. Martha E. Curry became
its first pastor.
It has a Sunday School enrollment of almost 200, a Young People's Society, a Women's Foreign Missionary Society
and a Junior Missionary Society.
The First Presbyterian Church of East Palestine, Ohio, is one of the oldest religious organizations of the city.
The church was organized in 1842 by a committee appointed by the Presbytery of New Lisbon, with a roll of twenty
charter members and a session of four ordained elders Joseph Curry, Ralph Martin, R. J. Robinson, and Thomas Hamilton.
Not until 1867 did the church become a corporate body with a board of trustees: R. J. Hamilton, president; Joseph
Young, secretary; James Boies, treasurer; Adam Palmer, J. W. Fronk and T. S. Hamilton, trustees.
During the more than eighty years of its history the church has been served by the following pastors: the Revs.
Roberts, McDermot, Talmadge, Lewis, Stratton, Falconer, Billingsley, Morton, Smith, Miller, Gilmore, Laverty, Hays,
Kreuch, Dickson, Howk, Sweezy, Hollister, Kierman, Williams. The present pastor, Rev. D. Porter Williams, came
to this church Sept. 1, 1921. The present officers of the church are as follows: session, D. P. Williams, moderator;
William Johnson, clerk; L. C. Chapin, J. R. Derringer, T. Moore, O. S. Rauch, H. D. Snyder, George Wilson, Enos
Yoder, trustees; T. Moore, president; H. Kachner, vice president; J. C. Williams, secretary; Curtis Beight, M.
C. Hotchkiss, William Long, Samuel Sitler, Dr. Van Fossan, Lee Wise, Fred Welling, trustees.
From a small beginning with a plain building and a few members, the church has grown until today the First Presbyterian
Church has an active membership of 478 and occupies a large modern brick structure with a seating capacity of about
800 on West Rebecca Street. The building contains a large beautifully lighted auditorium with pipe organ, lecture
room, social parlor, pastor's study, large dining room and kitchen fully equipped, and sixteen separate class rooms
for the use of the Sunday School.
The Sunday School is fully organized and, including the cradle roll, has a membership of 519.
The First Christian Church, one of the younger congregations of East Palestine, had its beginning thirty one
years ago under the leadership of the late Dr. S. M. Dodd, then of Rochester, Pennsylvania. Four local men, neither
of whom survive, assisted Mr. Dodd in launching the new movement. According to minutes dated Jan. 9, 1894, the
"mission" had within a year organized a church of Christ, maintained a "live" Sunday School
and had acquired considerable personal property. The meeting of Jan. 9, 1894„ was called for the purpose of appointing
and instructing a committee to "complete the work of securing a charter" for the young church.
At present the church has about 400 communicants, and maintains a Bible School and the various other auxilaries
that are usually found in the present day congregation.
St. Marys Church. - In July, 1880, the Catholics of East Palestine, then numbering about twenty five families,
mostly poor, were organized as a congregation by the Rev. Clement H. Treiber. Previous to July, 1880, they were
identified with the parish of St. Rose's at Cannelton, five miles distant, in the diocese of Pittsburg. From 1872
until 1880 the Rev. E. W. J. Lindesmith attended East Palestine from Leetonia on week days, and said Mass in private
houses. In August, 1880, Mr. T. Chamberlain donated a lot to the parish at the corner of W. Walnut and Clarke streets.
In September of the same year the erection of a frame church, 32x60 feet, was begun on it under the direction of
Father Treiber. When finished (in 1882) it cost $3,500. Father Treiber said Mass in it for the first time on January
23, 1881. Neatly frescoed, and tastily furnished with altar, pews, and stained glass windows, the church is a credit
to its builder and to the parish; it was dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, by Bishop Gilmour, on June 10, 1883
East Palestine was attended from Salem by Father Treiber from September, 1881, until June, 1887. In January, of
the same year, he secured a two acre tract of land two miles from the church for cemetery purposes. Father Treiber
was succeeded at East Palestine and Salem by the Rev. W. J. Finucan, whose pastorate, owing to ill health, was
of short duration, from June to December, 1887. In January, 1888, he was succeeded by the Rev. Francis Senner,
who attended East Palestine at first semi monthly, and later monthly, on Sundays, until his transfer to Louisville,
Stark county, in 1897. He left the Mission in a flourishing condition as to temporals and spirituals, and without
debt. The Rev. G. C. Schoenemann, of Salem, next had charge of the Mission, giving it the same attendance as it
had before, until June, 1898, when the Rev. Joseph J. Clarke was appointed first resident pastor of East Palestine.
He remained till January, 1899, when the Rev. Edward Reagan was appointed his successor. One of Father Reagan's
first acts was the purchase of a new site for the church and a proposed pastoral residence, in a more eligible
location. The ground, situate on Main street, with a frontage of 120 feet and a depth of 190 feet, was bought in
the summer of 1899, for $1,250, and paid for in a few months. Father Reagan's health failing, he was obliged to
pass the following winter in a milder climate. The Rev. D. Shunk, C. PP. S., supplied his place till his return
in the latter part of March, 1900, with health unimproved. He died on April 11, less than a fortnight later. Until
the appointment of his successor, the Rev. John J. Boyle, in June, 1900, East Palestine was again attended from
Salem. Father Boyle's stay was short, until his death, December 5, 1900. His successor is the present incumbent,
the Rev. Joseph Barth.