This township, which is classed with the early Survey townships of the Reserve, does not appear on the early
maps of Cuyahoga County and does not appear on the present maps. It has been said of it that it has had more varied
municipal relations and more irregular boundaries than any other township in the county. Today it has no existence
as a political entity. Its territory was first taken from Cleveland Township, Euclid Township, Newburgh Township,
and Warrensville Township. Cleveland and Euclid furnishing the larger portion, and Newburgh and Warrensville contributing
fragments. It was so formed in 1846 and its western boundary was the present East Fifty fifth Street of Cleveland,
and its southern bound2ry Newburgh. As this township, newer than the rest, but still a pioneer township, continued,
a flourishing settlement grew up within its boundaries, but it was undisturbed in its political relations until
certain territory was added from the Township of Euclid, as shown by the record of the county commissioners. In
August, 1866, East Cleveland Village was established. It may be stated in passing that the organization of the
township has usually been given as in the year of 1845, but the final order establishing the township was made
in June, 1846. In 1867 the Village of East Cleveland was annexed to Cleveland. This left a territory nearly six
miles long and five miles in its greatest width but so irregular that it had an area of only fifteen square miles.
In giving its early history as to annals and officers we may overlap some of the townships already recorded in
our history. The first white resident was Timothy Doan, a Connecticut sea captain, who was forty three years old
when he brought his family to Cleveland in 1801. He left them there while he built a log cabin and made a small
clearing on his farm on the west line of Old Euclid. In the fall he moved his family into the new house. His youngest
son, John Doan, was living on the old farm in the '80s. For several years Timothy bent to the task of reclaiming
the forest while yet his nearest neighbor was his brother Nathaniel at Doan's Corners, now the City of Cleveland.
Timothy was a man of high character and good ability, strong mentally and physically. He believed in the old adage
that he who makes two blades of grass grow where one grew before is entitled to the gratitude of mankind. He was
justice of the peace in the territory that was later the Township of East Cleveland, and then served as judge of
the Court of Common Pleas of Cuyahoga County. He died at the age of seventy on the old farm, where he built his
log cabin in 1801. It may be interesting to note that Mr. Doan was elected by the Legislature of Ohio to the position
of common pleas judge and at the first legislative session after the County of Cuyahoga was formed. It was the
Eighth Legislative Session of Ohio. The capital of Ohio was Zanesville and the judges elected for Cuyahoga County
were Augustus Gilbert, Nathan Perry, and Timothy Doan. This was the second session of this Legislature and Cuyahoga
County was not represented until Edward Tiffin resigned as senator and Stanley Griswold was appointed by Governor
Huntington in his place.
In August, 1803, John Shaw, John Ruple, Thomas McIlrath, Garret Thorp, and William Coleman, all from Washington
County, Pennsylvania, visited this section. Two of the party selected land in East Cleveland. Shaw chose the lot
where Shaw Academy was built and where Shaw High School now stands. McIlrath settled at what was later Collinwood.
Ruple located in the northeast part of Euclid, all on the main road from Cleveland to Pennsylvania. This was called
a road, but it was hardly passable with ox teams. All who traveled in that way carried an axe to clear away the
road from fallen timbers. These men went back to Pennsylvania and did not begin work on their forest farms until
the next season. The second actual settler, after Timothy Doan, was Asa Dille, a brother of David Dille of Euclid.
He came in March of 1804, put up his log cabin near the southwest corner of Old Euclid, cleared and planted, raised
a large family, and there lived out his life. Soon after in the same year Shaw and McIlrath began work on their
property and Benjamin Jones, a relative of McIlrath, settled southeast from them near what was afterwards the Asa
Dille farm. Shaw brought his family that spring and is recorded as the third actual settler in the township. Shaw
was a native of England, brought up in a woolen factory and entirely unfamiliar with the pioneer's most effective
instrument, the axe, but he mastered the situation, cleared his farm and brought it into excellent productiveness.
He was a man of good natural gifts, had a fair education, and is reputed to have taught the first school in Cuyahoga
County. He held various civil offices in the township and was the founder of Shaw Academy. McIlrath and Jones brought
their families in the fall of 1804. Then there were five families in the territory that later became East Cleveland.
Only one family, that of Timothy Doan, had breadstuffs sufficient to last through the winter. The others depended
principally on hunting, both to obtain meat for the family rations and skins and furs to barter in the rude markets
of Newburgh and Cleveland, for articles of household and farm necessities. Coon skins were legal tender and hundreds
were harvested. Mr. McIlrath was especially noted as a hunter and he had several sons grown nearly to man's estate,
so that they formed a strong hunting battalion. The next year John Ruple settled on the line between East Cleveland
and Euclid as these townships were afterwards related. He, too, was a noted hunter and was credited by William
Coleman with killing the first panther slain in the old township of Euclid by a white man. He raised a large family
and lived out his life, a long one, on the old farm.
The next year Samuel Ruple settled at Nine Mile Creek in the eastern part of the territory afterward called Collinwood.
Later in that year Caleb Eddy located in the southern part of the township on a stream which they named Dugway
Brook. The same year Abraham Norris came and began work on his farm on the ridge back of Collamer. Mrs. Myndert
Wemple, a daughter of Norris, some years ago related many interesting incidents of the pioneer experience of the
family, some of which are preserved. The family were two miles from their nearest neighbor, David Hendershot. They
had a puncheon floor and in summer a coverlid answered for a door. Mr. Norris worked hard from daylight to dark
and soon had a good sized clearing, that is, he had felled the trees and trimmed the brush. Then, according to
pioneer custom, he invited his neighbors from five or six miles around to a logging bee. Soon the company had several
piles ready for burning and Mrs. Norris, who was watching the logging, ran into the house to get a shovel full
of coals to fire the first log heap. The fire was burning low in the fireplace and on the warm hearth lay a griddle,
which had been used for baking pancakes. The first thing Mrs. Norris saw as she entered the cabin was an enormous
yellow rattlesnake curled up on the griddle. She screamed and fainted. Her husband ran in, but had no weapon. He
called for his father in law, Mr. McIlrath, who was driving the oxen among the logs, and he despatched the intruder
with his ox goad. The snake proved to be a very large one with twenty four rattles
It was the rule that men, who traveled through the woods, invariably carried a handy weapon, either a gun or a
stick for snakes. Several wholesale killings were related in former chapters, where the air became impregnated
with the poison and caused sickness. Mrs. Norris, who fainted at sight of the big rattler in the frying pan on
the hearth, was braver in the presence of bears and wolves. When she heard the pigs squealing one night, when her
husband was away, she ventured forth and as a bear was carrying away a pig in its arms like a crying baby, she
carried a shovel of coals and threw them on a pile of dry bark and the quick bright blaze frightened the bear and
it dropped the pig and loped into the woods. The pig was not seriously hurt.
Mrs. Kemple said that at this period of settlement there was no church in the neighborhood and people went to Doan's
Corners on Sundays, where Squire Nathaniel Doan would read a sermon. The family would make the trip to meeting
with oxen, not with horse and buggy, for they had no buggy and the roads would not warrant that sort of a conveyance
if they had had one. Mr. Norris would walk beside his horse on which his wife was riding with one child riding
in front and another behind her. Luxuries came slowly to the early settlers. Mrs. Norris once sent to Pennsylvania
by a couple of young men, who were making the trip, for a pound of tea and two yards of calico, the latter to make
the baby a dress, and the former for special occasions. We are writing of a period about five years before Cuyahoga
County was organized. There were at this time only two or three gristmills within ten miles of the Norris home
and except the Newburgh mill they were very inferior flouring establishments, often out of repair. In dry times
the water would run low and these mills could do very little grinding. John Shaw at one time took his oxen and
cart and loaded up with a grist for every family in the township, driving eighty miles to Erie to get grinding
done. He was scheduled to be back in two weeks and on the day fixed for his arrival home Mrs. Shaw invited all
the people in the town to cook and eat of the new supply at her house. Bad roads delayed Shaw on the return trip
and he did not arrive on schedule. Mrs. Shaw was determined not to disappoint her guests altogether so she gave
a dinner of roast venison and baked pumpkin.
At this time Indians, squaws and papooses were frequently seen passing to and fro in the neighborhood. They had
a camping place back of where Shaw High School now stands. Their presence frightened the children, but no instances
are recorded of their having done any harm.
The first church in the township, and it must be understood that reference is made to the territory afterwards
comprising East Cleveland, was organized in 1807. It was Congregational. This was the first church organized in
the county as well. The meetings were held in the houses of the settlers until 1810, when a log meeting house was
built at a point called Nine Mile Creek, afterwards Euclid and after that Collamer. This was the first church built
in the county and preceded all others by some ten years. In 1809 Caleb Eddy built a gristmiIl, the first in the
township, on a brook above the site of Lake View cemetery. These early settlers were not old settlers. They were
mostly young people. This remark is interlarded that we may fully appreciate the following incident: Late one day
in the fall, Mrs. Timothy Eddy, expecting her husband home, but not until dark, went after the cows. They had strayed
a long distance, but she heard the bell and guided by that finally found them. When she tried to drive them home
she found she had lost the way and the animals seemed more inclined to lie down than to assist in helping her find
it. It was their bed time. After working for some time in a vain effort to locate her home, she gave up the thought
and slept through the night, finding a warm place between two of the cows. As one expressed it, she occupied a
living boudoir. In the meantime, the husband on returning home had roused the neighbors for a search. All night
they wandered through the woods, shouting and carrying torches of bark, but in all the search they did not come
near her sleeping place. When daylight came she made her way home and it is quite probable that she brought the
The first tavern keeper in the township was David Bunnel, who opened a tavern before the War of 1812. It was located
southwest of the site of Collamer. In 1811 Abijah Crosby, father of Deacon Thomas D. Crosby, came to the township.
He was one of the earliest of those in the township, who settled near the lake shore. Benjamin Thorp, who located
first at the mouth of Euclid Creek, did not come until 1813.
When the War of 1812 broke out the sensation among the settlers was intense all over the county as we have related
in the various chapters covering the townships. The pioneers bent to the task of clearing with such intensity that
it required much to detract their attention, but all recognized the vital importance of the conflict. When the
news of Hull's surrender came to this township and with it various tales, from time to time, of the murderous exploits
of Indians, the few residents several times left their homes in alarm, but after awhile they returned to begin
again their work. Their families must be fed and they went on clearing and planting as before. It is, however,
true that immigration practically ceased. On the day of Perry's victory the people of the township and from other
townships were busy raising William Hale's log barn below Collinwood. Cornelius Thorp, who at one time was the
oldest living resident, was at this raising and it is from his story, given in the '80s, that we get this description
and the facts of the occurrences in East Cleveland. Men came to this raising from Warrensville and other nearby
townships. The severe labor of the pioneers was lightened by some sort of amusement that did not detract from swift
accomplishment. The raisers were divided into two rival squads and there was a strife to see which one would get
the Iog up the faster. At each corner was an expert Waxman making notches and saddles to fit the logs together.
Neither side could actually go faster than the other, as all sides of the building must go up together, so there
was a contest at every course. While this spirited contest was on and men were exhibiting their prowess, and labor
and amusement were combined, there came to the ears of the workers a dull thunder from the northwest. Again it
came more distinct, rolling slowly over lake and land and forest, then another and another. Now every ax and every
log was dropped and men simply looked into each other's faces. "That's Perry," said one, "a fight,"
"a fight," "a battle" went from mouth to mouth, and the twenty or thirty men raced to the lake
hoping to catch a view of the conflict or get some inkling of the probable outcome, which as one expressed it was
to decide the supremacy of Lake Erie. They watched upon the shore, looking in the direction of the sound, but the
fight was seventy five miles away and they could see neither smoke nor sail and only the ominous succession of
shocks told them that a battle was on. Hour after hour they listened. It would be a single shot and then a broadside,
then scattering shots, and after a while the shots died out and all was still. It was over, but what was the outcome?
The anxious listeners from the East Cleveland log raising returned slowly to their homes to pass a restless, sleepless
night. The next morning a swift riding express, a Paul Revere express, brought the news that Perry had won and
that invasion from the white and the red foe need no longer be feared.
Of the men at that raising Cornelius Thorp outlived them all and for many years was the sole survivor of the group
at the erstwhile jolly raising of William Hale's log barn. Benjamin Thorp, the father of Cornelius, moved to the
Coit tract of 1,000 acres on the lake shore, later known as "Coits." Immediately after the close of the
war the settlers came in great numbers and soon they were in full tide. Now there was a slight appearance of a
village where Collainer was located but it was called Euclid then. After the War of 1812 Enoch Murray started a
store there, David Crocker a tannery, and like Newburgh with its gristmill it became a little trade center. The
tannery continued in operation for twenty years. This point was variously called Collamer, Nine Mile Creek, and
Euclid. In 1817 a frame church was built on the site of the old log one and then the little settlement could boast,
for there was not another one in the county. In 1818 Benjamin P. Beers and Myndert Wemple settled in the township
and the same year Enoch Murray was keeping store at Collamer. He sold to McIlrath in 1820 and he in turn sold to
John Gardner. Taverns appeared along the main roads after the war. Benjamin S. Welch kept one at Nine Mile Creek
and Enoch Meeker one farther west and Seth Doan another. Still, as the old annals put it, "rattlesnakes still
hissed from their dens, and deer bounded past the clearings." But the game was falling before the bullets
of the pioneers. It was in 1820 that the big elk, already referred to, was chased from the Chagrin River and killed,
some say in East Cleveland. This hunter's prize weighed 500 pounds and had horns seven feet long.
By 1825 the character of the township by the patient labors of the pioneers was rapidly changing. One half of the
log houses, thanks to the sawmills, had been replaced by frame ones. In the north part every lot had a settler.
In the south part there were not so many. There were a few frame houses, somewhat scattered, and quite a widespread
wilderness yet remained. In the old voting list of the Township of Euclid many names of East Cleveland settlers
appear as they are credited to both townships. The immigration was checked by the War of 1812, but continued following
the war in increased proportions. This continued until 1837, when for three years there was another check due to
the hard times. At Nine Mile Creek, Sargent Currier kept store, ran a sawmill, and later built a steam gristmill.
There Abner McIlrath opened a tavern in 1837 and Samuel Lenter operated a tannery. When R. H. Strowbridge came
in 1840 he had it recorded that Sargent Currier was still keeping store, and Alvin Hollister the tavern; the wild
game at least the large game, was practically all gone, as were the rattlesnakes. He also bore witness to the fact
that the west part of the township was the last to settle.
From this time a change came over the trend of settlement, for CIeveland began to be a real growing city and spread
out over the outlying territory. At the June session of the county commissioners in 1847 the Township of East Cleveland
was formed from the territory of Euclid and Cleveland, principally, but WarrensviIle and Newburgh at this time
or later added some territory to the new township. If as we have stated at the opening of this chapter, the township
was really erected in 1846, the first town meeting was not heId until June 26, 1847. The first officers of the
township were: Trustees, Theron Woodworth, Ahimaz Sherwin and Samuel Erwin; cIerk, Ansel Young; treasurer, Joel
Jones; assessor, Freeman Whitman. Joel Jones declined to serve and N. Pittsbury was appointed in his stead For
many years after the township was formed it had a thriving village. It became inconvenient to call it Euclid being
so near the township of the same name, so it was called Collamer. In 1852 the Cleveland, Painesville & Ashtabula
Railroad, later the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, and now the New York Central Railway, operated from Cleveland
to Erie through the northern part. This would naturally attract a population, but the beauty of the locations at
the foot of the ridge between Cleveland and Collier were quickly observed by citizens of Cleveland and purchases
were made especially around Collamer. Thus began the extension eastward of Euclid Avenue, which finally rivalled
in beauty the streets of the world. Some years folIowing the period of which we are writing Bayard Taylor, the
famous world traveler, pronounced this street the finest in the world. Its change toward a great industrial thoroughfare
will be more properly discussed in the chapters on Cleveland.
We are now approaching the period of the Civil war and will only say before taking up the history of the township
following that the record of this township takes rank with the best. In the history of Cleveland more attention
will be given to the general record of the townships in the war. In 1862 James Haycox opened. a valuable quarry
of sandstone in the southern part of the township on the farm cleared by John Welch. The character of the stone
is similar to: much in the county. The most important upheaval in the political fortunes of the township occurred
in 1867 when the village of East Cleveland was annexed to Cleveland. Collamer seemed to take on new life as if
the loss of the other village must be made up.
The records of the county commissioners under the heading of East Cleveland have a number of entries. June, 1846,
application for the formation of East Cleveland township filed. Afterwards application granted. In 1847 certain
territory added to the township of East Cleveland taken from the Township of Euclid. August 6, 1866, East Cleveland
Village established. November 6, 1872, Glenville Village established. February 3, 1878, a portion of Fast Cleveland
Township annexed to Cleveland. June 4, 1883, Collinwood Village established out of Fast Cleveland and Euclid townships.
June 16, 1892, a portion of East Cleveland Township annexed to Cleveland. May 22, 1895, Lake Hamlet established
out of East Cleveland Township. April 18, 1896, Collinwood Township established out of the Village of Collinwood.
October 12, 1900, Cleveland Heights Hamlet established These entries do not run in chronological order for the
next entry is October 11, 1866, East Cleveland Village established. Then comes February 3, 1872, the Village of
Collamer incorporated. October 19, 1872, East Cleveland Village annexed to Cleveland. August 6, 1890, the Hamlet
of East CIeveland established. December 6, 1894, the Hamlet of East Cleveland advanced to a village. East Cleveland
Village, the second, has since been advanced to the grade of a city, which entry does not appear on the commissioners'
records and is not necessarily a part thereof.
The old annals before the '80s give a survey of the municipalities of East Cleveland, in this wise: "Collier
has churches, one academy, four stores, one postoffice, one doctor, two meat markets, one cider mill, one shoe
shop, one tannery, and 1,000 inhabitants. On the railroad, one mile north, is Collinwood. Here are the roundhouses
of the Lake Shore Railway. Collinwood is laid out on a liberal plan with streets enough for a small city, which
it promises to become. It has churches, three schools, six stores, four doctors, two drug stores, one hardware
store, two boot stores, one clothing store, two millinery stores, one hotel, The Warren House, two livery stables,
two news depots, one wagon and blacksmith shop, one harness shop, three meat markets, and a population of 1,500.
The repair shops and roundhouses, the building of which began in 1873, were finished in 1875. In the latter year
a post office was established." The old account goes on to say that "Lake View, near the Lake View Cemetery,
is another location where there is a prospect of another fine suburban village. The Lake View & Collamer Railroad,
called the Dummy, gives access to the city along the main road. On the ridge grape growing flourishes. The soil
is equally productive with Euclid. The grapes are generally sold in bulk but some wine is made. J. J. Preyer's
Lake View wine farm is one of the most celebrated wine producing places in the county. The Village of Glenville
on the lake shore includes about three square miles of territory, but only a part is built up. The Lake Shore Railway
passes through it and has a depot there, while the Lake View & Collamer Dummy skirts its southern boundary.
The Northern Ohio Fair Grounds are a little west of the center of the village. This was incorporated in 1872 and
W. J. Brassie and R. M. N. Taylor are its trustees. Of the village, William J. Gordon was the first mayor, and
he was followed by W. H. Gaylord Glenville has three stores, three hotels, one blacksmith shop, one shoe shop,
and one carriage shop. It has a population of 500. The whole of East Cleveland, except Glenville, and a few farms,
is incorporated for special purposes, having the powers of a village as to road improvements, etc."
Higher education began in East Cleveland with the founding of Shaw Academy. In 1835, the old pioneer, John Shaw,
died, having no children, he left his property to found an academy. The property consisted mostly of a farm a short
distance northwest from Collamer. The farm was sold by his executor for $5,000. The people of the vicinity subscribed
the money to erect a building for the academy and the money ieft by Shaw was placed in a fund for the support of
the school. Trustees were appointed and the school was opened and operated like any other country academy until
1868. Then as the school did not prosper as desired or expected, the building was leased and public school money
was applied toward its support and it became partly a public school and partly an academy. In 1877 the trustees
of the academy leased the building to the school directors of Collamer for a district school, but of a higher grade.
Of the various stages of development up to the present Shaw High School of the City of East Cleveland, famous as
a progressive and leading school; second perhaps to none in the county, much may be said. Of its present status
we will speak further on.
The first Presbyterian, or Congregational Church of Collatner, of which we have spoken, was founded in 1807,
being the first and for ten years the only church in the county. It was formed on what was known as a plan of union,
adopted by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church and the General Association of Congregational Churches.
It was Congregational at first but was connected with the Presbytery for "discipline and mutual encouragement."
It took the name of the Church of Christ in Euclid, that being the township when it was organized. The first members
were Nathaniel Doan, Sarah Doan, John Ruple, Thomas McIlrath, Elizabeth McIlrath, Sarah Shaw, Eunice Eddy, Abram
L. Norris, Abigail Norris, George Kilbourne, Almira Kilbourne, Andrew Mcilrath, Abigail McIlrath, Anna Bunnell,
and Isabelle McIlrath. The strictness of discipline and the existence among the pioneers of amusements are both
shown by entries on the old church records. One of August 29, 1807, reads as follows: "A. L. and Abigail Norris
confessed to dancing 'not Iong before' (this must refer to a period before they joined the church) and expressed
contrition. Sarah Shaw admitted the fact of dancing but would not make a public confession and was suspended."
At the first meeting of the church, John Ruple and George Kilbourne were appointed as a standing committee. They
may have been entrusted with certain lines of discipline. The second entry on the old church record shows the meeting
to have been held at the house of Nathaniel Doan. "Caleb and Nancy Eddy admitted joining the 'Halcyon Church,'
supposing it to be Christian. They expressed their sorrow for having done so." This Halcyon Church was a heterodox
institution which started up in Euclid, flourished for a time and disappeared. The members claimed to be Christians.
Their right to the name seems to have been questioned. At this meeting of the church, aside from the Caleb and
Nancy Eddy matter, there were other cases of discipline. There is this entry: "Mrs. Shaw publicly professed
repentance for her dancing of long ago and was duly reinstated in the church." Numerous cases occurred during
the early years of the church, mostly on account of members dancing. or allowing their children to do so. In the
summer of 1811 nearly all the members publicly acknowledged their wrongdoing in permitting their children to attend
the Fourth of July ball. Some time before this, to-wit, March 15, 1810, the church adopted the Presbyterian model
and put themselves under its discipline and Rev. Thomas Barr was made a regular pastor. He was not regularly ordained
until August of that year. At this time Andrew McIlrath and John Ruple were appointed ruling elders. It was at
this time that the log church already refferred to was built. This log building during its entire existence was
the only church in Cuyahoga County. As stated, a frame church was built on the site of the old log one in 1817.
Rev. Thomas Barr stayed until 1820. It then had no regular pastor, but Rev. Randolph Stoner came out from Cleveland
and preached from time to time up to 1823. After that Rev. Stephen J. Bradstreet supplied until 1825, when Rev.
Stephen Peet was ordained as pastor and continued in that capacity until 1833. For two years from that time the
head was Rev. E. S. Scott, and the following two years Rev. E. Adams. Rev. H. Blodgett remained as pastor a longer
period, serving from 1837 to 1843. He was succeeded by Rev. E. N. Nicols. During his pastorate the celebrated revivalist,
Rev. J. Burchard, conducted a powerful series of revival meetings in the winter of '43 and '44. Rev. Benjamin Page
was pastor of this original church for three years, from '44 to '46, inclusive. In 1847, the old annals state,
Rev. William Beecher, the brother of Henry Ward Beecher, began as stated supply and continued until 1849. He was
succeeded by Rev. Jonas Bigelow, who died while serving as the pastor, in 1854. During his first year as the church
head (1851) fourteen members withdrew to form the Free Congregational Church. The cause of this departure lay not
in religious differences, but in differences over the question of slavery, which was then a much discussed institution.
For several years before this action was taken there had been a strong feeling that members of the Presbyterian
Church of Collamer should bear stronger testimony against slavery than they had done. On the 27th day of December,
1851, these fourteen members withdrew and presented a memorial declaring that they could not continue in connection
with the church while it maintained fellowship with slaveholders. This memorial was signed by John Ruple, Asa Weston,
R. Dutton, Asa Cady, Teresa Cady, Alma Ruple, H. A. C. Adams, Ezekiel Adams, Orpha Adams, L. C. Ruple. Mina Ruple,
H. L. Ruple, Hannah Ruple, and John Perkins. The church voted to give them honorable dismissal with letters to
any church which they might desire to join. The fourteen then organized into The Free Congregational Church of
Collamer. For three or four years they met in a schoolhouse, the numbers increased and the congregation built a
brick church at Collamer. The original church continued. Andrew Sharp was installed as pastor in 1854 and remained
two years. Rev. Hiram Bingham began service as stated supply in 1856. Two years later Rev. F. McGinnis was installed
as pastor, and he remained ten years. The records of the church show it to have been styled The First Presbyterian
Church of Euclid up to 1867, although it had been in the Township of East Cleveland, as formed, for nineteen years.
From that date it is styled in the records The Presbyterian Church of Collamer. From 1867 Rev. R. H. Leonard acted
as a supply for five years, and then Rev. H. P. Barnes was installed as a regular pastor, and he remained two years
and was succeeded by Rev. E. S. Scott.
In June, 1877, more than a decade after the close of the Civil war that settled the question of slavery, a union
was effected with the Free Congregational Church of Collamer. Each was to keep its own organization, but the two
churches to unite in all work and in the employment of a pastor. Members were to be admitted by the joint action
of both churches, but to be dismissed by separate action, and the meetings to be held in the original Presbyterian
or Congregational Church building. Of this original first church in the county, the elders in the '80s were John
Aldrich, J. M. Page, T. D. Crosby, Joseph Day, Joseph Parks, Frederick King, and Isaac Brush. The two churches
came together in the Sunday school as well, and William H. Coit was the superintendent after the union.
Saint Paul's Church, Protestant Episcopal, is another of the early churches of Collamer. Its church building in
the center of Collamer, built of stone, was begun in 1846 and finished in 1856. The services at first were conducted
by Cleveland clergymen. Rev. Eli Adams officiated from '53 to '54; N. P. Charlot, '66 to '69, and Rev. Thomas Lyle
was rector beginning with that year. The sittings were made free and the church supported by weekly offerings and
subscriptions. Before the '80s there were 110 communicants, 100 baptized, and a large number confirmed. A rectory
adjoining the church building was built in 1867. Fifty years ago the wardens were John Doan and J. W. Ogram, and
the vestrymen R. Gerrard, G. Doan, W. Oliver, J. W. Doan, B. Gray, and L. B. Beers. It will be noticed that the
Doan family spell the name in some periods Doan, and in others Doane. Apparently the final e was used in the early
The Disciple Church of Collamer was organized in 1829. The first members were Luther Dille, Clarissa Dille, Eric
M. Dille, Laurilla Jones, Leonard Marsilliot, Edithea Cranney, Desire Perry, Mary Anne Perry, Fanny Cranny, and
Nancy Hale. The organization meeting was held in a log schoolhouse, west of what was afterwards the residence of
E. M. Dille. The first ruling elder was Luther Dille In those days much was left to the ruling elder, who became
a sort of manager. The little organization grew, and in 1840 a frame church building was put up in Collamer. Rev.
A. S. Hayden was one of the principal ministers, who from time to time came out to help carry on the work of the
church In 1862 a new brick church was built, and Reverend Hayden was the pastor from '63 to '66, and Rev. A. B.
Green from '66 to '68. In the latter year Rev. W. B. Hendrix held protracted meetings, when some 100 united with
This church became a sort of parent church for this denomination. Over twenty Disciple churches in various parts
of the West were founded by emigrants from Euclid and East Cleveland, who had belonged to the Collamer Church.
A Disciple Church was organized at Collinwood really as an offshoot from the Collamer organization. In February,
1878, at the suggestion of E. M. Dille of the Collamer Church, who offered to pay the preliminary expenses, Hendrix
began a series of Disciples meetings at Collinwood, and in April of that year a church was organized there with
fifty nine members. Immediately the proposition of building was agitated, and in ten days, starting less than two
months from the organization of the church, a building costing $2,500 was completed. Of this cost Mr. Dille contributed
$800. As combining patriotism and religion, this building was dedicated on July 4, 1878. The overseers in the '80s
were the same in the Collamer and Coffinwood churches, Deacon George Morse and Alexander McIlrath.
The Congregational Church of Collinwood seemed also to have been promoted by the Collamer Church, for a frame church
was built there before an organization was effected. The church building was erected in 1874, and the church organized
the following year. The first pastor was Rev. Josiah Turner, and the acting deacons in 1879 were L. Cody, J. Pronting,
C. Hoagland, and George Reading, and the trustees, L. Cody, William Greenless, Benjamin Carter, and William Jonghin.
Turning to the civil government of the township we find that the names of many old pioneer families appear in the
list of its officers. Of those who have served as trustees in the first half century of its separate existence
are Benjamin Cranford, Samuel Erwin, Joel Jones, Hiram McIlrath, Benjamin S. Welch, J. P. Doan, Darius Ford, Robert
Harlow, John Welch, Lyman Crosby, B. P. Beers, Lassel Birge, E. H. Lacy, Jonathan C. Bowles, D. A. Beers, J. R.
Walters, Park B. Clark, G. Watkins, Joseph Phillips, Frederick P. Silsby, William Treat, Darius Adams, Alfred Talbot,
Joseph Slaght, F. L. Burt, George Mather, Sargent Currier, L. F. Beers, C. W. Dellenbaugh, R. C. Meeker, James
Haycox, Andrew Wemple, J. O. Meeker, W. P. Hudson, Robert Harlow, Seth Minor, Joseph Ames, Marion Minor, Joseph
Parks, and William Quilliams Clerks, Ansel Young, Horatio Ford, E. T. Sturtevant, S. W. Baldwin, W. B. Waring,
Norton Doan, and William James. Treasurers, B. T. Blackwell, Daniel R. Hildreth, John R. Walters, N. L. Post, Henry
Ford, A. C. Stevens, and William James. Assessors, Benjamin P. Beers, H. N. Smith, S. A. Baldwin, M. A. Bard, Levi
Thomas, and Anson Bartlett.
We will only speak in this connection of a few whose names appear as having served the township in the early years.
The Doan family was one of the most prominent. In 1879 John Doan was the earliest surviving male resident of the
county, and hence gets prominence in the earlier annals. We have referred to Timothy and Nathaniel. It is an English
family name, and as originally written, Doane, was pronounced with the long o as it was when the spelling was changed
to Doane and then to Doan. The name Done signifies a race of warriors, and several chiefs of the house of Done
were in the battles of Agincourt and Flodden. The original John Doane crossed the Atlantic for America in one of
the first three ships that sailed from Plymouth, landing here in 1630. One brother came about the same time and
landed in Canada, and another in Virginia. Thus the three points of landing were the separate attraction of the
three. John Doane took a prominent part in the new Plymouth Colony, and in 1633 was chosen assistant to Governor
Winslow. He held at the same time another position that was deemed a very important one in those days, he was deacon
in the church at Plymouth and Eastham. He had five children, and these all had large families. Daniel had five
children by his first wife, and among them was Joseph, born in 1669. Joseph had twelve children, and among them
was Joseph, Junior, who married Deborah Haddock in 1725. Joseph Doane, Jr., removed with his wife to Middle Haddam
on the Connecticut River, in Connecticut, and engaged in shipbuilding. His third son, Seth Doane, born in 1733,
married Mercey Parker. They had nine children, and among them was a second Seth Doane. The two Seth Doanes, father
and son, were taken prisoners by the British in the Revolutionary war. Seth Doane, Jr., died, and the father, with
the balance of his family, came West. The Doanes of 'Cuyahoga we have thus traced from Flodden Field to the wilderness
of the Western Reserve. Timothy. whom we have mentioned as one of the three first Common Pleas judges of the county,
was a son of Seth. He married Mary Carey, and they had a family of ten children. Timothy traveled from Herkimer
County, New York, where he was born, to Buffalo with a team of horses and a team of oxen. The family stayed in
Buffalo while he came to Cuyahoga. After a slow journey he finally reached the home of his brother Nathaniel, who
had settled at Doan's Corners. He then bought two lots in Euclid, later East Cleveland. In the spring of 1801 he
sent for his family, who came from Buffalo in an open boat to Painesville or Fairport. Here the boat became disabled
and sank. They then traveled overland, the party of five riding on two horses and finding their way through the
woods by the burned trees. John Doan was the son of Judge Timothy Doan and lived on the farm that Timothy bought
over eighty years. He married Anolivia Baldwin, daughter of Seth Baldwin of Cleveland.
William Quilliams is one who had a wide acquaintance over the county. He was a soldier in the Civil war, and lost
a forearm in battle. For many years he was an officer in the Court of Appeals of Cuyahoga County and there through
his efficient work won a host of friends.
Col. A. C. McIlrath, a pioneer of the early days in the township, deserves especial mention. He came with his
parents to the township when five years of age. The log cabin that was the first home was situated on the south
side of Euclid Avenue near the present entrance to Lake View Cemetery. The only neighbors, when they came, were
the families of Benjamin Jones, Samuel Cozad, and Mr. Doan. He, Col. A. C. McIlrath, grew to manhood amid the wild
scenes of pioneer life. He was six feet seven inches in height and well proportioned. He served for several years
as justice of the peace, and in 1832 erected the McIlrath tavern. Here he officiated as landlord for forty four
years. He was justice of the peace at the time of his death. He was always proud of the fact that his father laid
out Euclid Avenue. He was a well educated man and a competent civil engineer. The McIlraths became very numerous
in the county. Col. A. C. McIlrath had thirteen children, having married in early life Eliza Picor. The men were
usually large in stature and fearless in the discharge of their duties. It is related of one that at one time having
a warrant for a character wanted for crime, and in endeavoring to serve it the man tried to escape by whipping
up his horse and driving away, but McIlrath caught the wheel of the buggy and held it with such strength that the
horse soon gave up the struggle, and McIlrath got his prisoner. Several of the family were soldiers in the Civil
war. O. P. McIlrath is an honorary member of the Early Settlers' Association of Cuyahoga County by reason of his
service in the army in the War of the Rebellion.
The Fords deserve mention. We have mentioned Henry, who served as township treasurer, and Horatio Ford, who served
as clerk. Their father, Cyrus, came to East Cleveland in 1841 and bought 100 acres of land on the north side of
Euclid Avenue. He was interested in an attempt to produce silk in Cuyahoga County. He planted mulberry trees and
hatched 1,500,000 silk worms, but never succeeded in getting a single cocoon. He at least demonstrated the fact
that they could not be produced in this climate.
The Cozads are identified with this township in its early history. Samuel Cozad came to East Cleveland in 1808.
Before his death he and his sons owned all the land lying between Doan Brook and the Dugway, which passes through
Lake View Cemetery. The grounds of the Western Reserve University are partly of the original purchase by Mr. Cozad.
Samuel was the grandfather of Justus L. Cozad, who with Mr. Odell, began the abstract business in Cleveland.
Only two corporations remain, formed from the Township of East Cleveland, East Cleveland City, and Bratenahi Village.
The township has no existence as a political division.
EAST CLEVELAND CITY
Like Lakewood, East Cleveland is largely a city of homes, and except for its local government is seemingly but
a residence section of Cleveland. It is the development of old Collinwood into an up to date city, and in a short
time. It was one of the first cities in the country, and the first in the county to adopt the city manager plan
of government, and the East Cleveland City Hall is the national headquarters of the National City Manager? Association
of the United States. Former City Manager C. M. Osborne of East Cleveland is president of this association, and
Paul B. Wilcox of East Cleveland, secretary. As indicating the growth of the city in the last few years we will
state that the tax valuation of the city in 1918, when the city manager plan was put into effect, was $40,000,000,
and as shown by the annual report for 1922 it was $53,000,000 in round numbers. The population in the same period
increased from 25,000 to 32,000. The present government is styled the commission manager plan of government. The
present commissioners are W. M. Pattison, who is president; E. M. Sprague, who is vice president; Mrs. W. A. Siddall,
J. F. Pease, and John R. Moxon. The city manager is Charles A. Carran, who in October, 1922, succeeded C. M. Osborne,
who was the first city manager of the town. F. D. Green is director of finance; E. A. Binyon, director of law;
M. W. Garnett, city engineer; L. G. Corlett, chief of police; E. T. Woolway, chief of fibre; Stanton Adams, police
justice; Dr. G. W. Stober, director of health, and Mrs. Ethel S. Ingraham, director of welfare. As showing the
advance from the original pioneer government of the fathers, an outline of this new plan of government now in operation
may be of historical interest. First, the people elect a city commission of five members, a Board of Education
of five members, and a judge of the Municipal Court. Second, the city commission appoints a sinking fund commission,
a city manager, and a director of finance. Third, the city manager appoints a director of law, a director of health,
a civil service commission with the approval of the city commission, and all other employees of the city. The city
manager acts as the director of public safety and the director of public service. This form of government, like
all forms of government, works better with good men at the helm, and the city seems to be well officered. That
is the most important consideration. Pope once said: "For forms of government let fools contest, whate'er
is best administered is best." East Cleveland spent in 1922 for its police department $47,420.22, and for
its fire department $61,630.76. It has over forty miles of paved streets, seventy five miles of sewers, nearly
that length of sidewalks, and about fifteen acres of parks. With an area of only three square miles, it has a tax
value of $53,250,000. Its bonded indebtedness is about $2,000,000.
Like Cleveland Heights and other large municipalities of the county the schools have advanced with great rapidity
and have been a great factor in drawing a fine class of citizens. From the establishment of Shaw Academy, a school
for higher instruction than the "little red school" afforded, it built up a fine educational system in
a comparatively short time. The total enumeration in the public schools of East Cleveland for the past year was
6,053, and the number of teachers employed 242. There are seven school buildings, the Prospect School, with E.
M. Preston as principal; Superior School, with Belle L. Parks as principal; Roselle School, with Della Freeborn
as principal; Mayfair School, with J. E. Pettit as principal; Chambers School, with M. E. Williams as principal;
Caledonia School, with Ella Hill as principal, and Shaw High School, with Josephine Barnaby as principal. W. H.
Kirk is the superintendent, with offices at Shaw High School. There were 216 in the graduating class of 1923. The
enrollment in all the schools for the new year indicated an increase of about 10 per cent over the former year.
Shaw High School employs 82 teachers and has an enrollment of 1,556. The old bequest of Mr. Shaw which we have
referred to, and which was used in opening and aiding Shaw Academy, is still in evidence and the proceeds, about
$300 annually, is applied towards the support of the school, now only a drop in the bucket, as Superintendent Kirk
East Cleveland maintains three public libraries, the Main Library at 14101 Euclid Avenue, the North Branch at 14303
Shaw Avenue, and Shaw High School Branch at Shaw High School. The library board has seven members, Stephen W. Tener,
president; Mrs. T. H. Bushnell, vice president; O. F. Emerson, secretary and treasurer; Mrs. James H. Griswold,
Walter E. Myers, Henry A. Taylor, and David Brooks, Jr. The increased use of the libraries is shown by the following
figures as to circulation: In 1918, 54,452; the next year, about 151,000; the next, 181,000, and in 1922, nearly
200,000 volumes were drawn.
The various departments of the city are in competent hands. L. G. Corlett, chief of police, has had twenty five
years' experience in the Cleveland police department. E. T. Woolway is chief of the fire department, and W G. Dillon,
superintendent of the street department. A. B. Stewart is foreman of the water department, and William S. Potter
is market master. John H. Melville is instructor in the parks and playgrounds; J. W. Barrow, city electrician,
and M. W. Garnett is building inspector. Second in population of the three cities in the county outside of Cleveland,
and the only one which has adopted the manager plan of government, East Cleveland is not second in progressive
and practical civic pride and accomplishment. One item that was overlooked in the brief review of the school system
was that of the fine Stadium connected with Shaw High School, which was dedicated in October and which will seat
something like 15,000 people. The athletic field is well equipped by this addition.
This village of twenty years is a most interesting section of the county, saved from the grasp of a great city.
We do not mean by this that there is danger from the political absorption by the metropolis, but a village can
not exist as an integral part of the other, and hence the expression. Bratenahi extends along the lake in a long,
narrow tract of beautiful homes and boulevards, of trees and cultivated shrubs, of flowers and well kept lawns.
It has but two manufacturing establishments, and both are of the quiet kind and do not break the harmony of the
whole. They were in existence when the village was formed, the Marble and Shattuck Chair Company, a scion of the
Bedford factory of that name, and the Lucas Machine Tool Company. The territory of the village was formerly a part
of the Village of Glenville. In 1904 the Township of Bratenahl was formed from this territory. An election was
held, and John H. Beattie was elected justice of the peace. The township then functioned, but as a judicial township.
Immediately steps were taken to form a village, and so rapidly did they advance that in November an election was
held for the selection of its officers. They were chosen as follows: Mayor, Liberty E. Holden; clerk, Clifford
A. Neff; treasurer, Charles H. Gale; councilmen, Abram Garfield, Christian Gottschalt, R. L. Ireland, James A.
Patton, C. W. Pratt. and N. W. Stanley; marshal, John G. Newkirk. It is probably a statement that can not be truthfully
controverted that no set of officers in any village or city of the county included so many men of such high business
standing as did the men chosen at this first election in Bratenahl.
It is an interesting fact that in all of its twenty years of existence there has never been an election contest.
Only one ticket has been in the field at any election. The first clerk of the village, Clifford A. Neff, appointed
as his assistant Miss Mary H. Giles, which office she still holds, and there is not a word or a line in the records
of the clerk's office that has not been transcribed by her. She is also clerk of the school board. It may be interesting
to note that she is the daughter of Sidney W. Giles, who was well known in the county for many years as secretary
of the Glenville Race Track Association, which conducted the races where so many notable events occurred and where
so many world records were broken.
The present officers of the village are: Mayor, R. F. Grant; clerk, A. H. Fieback; treasurer, H. P. McIntosh, Jr.;
assessor, G. M. Soul; marshal, C. E. Cole; councilmen, C. S. Britton, J. E. Ferris, Abram Garfield, C. N. Hickok,
Herman Moss, and H. E. Sheffield. In 1918 a municipal building was constructed, costing, with the grounds, improvements
and equipment, approximately $60,000. At this time R. L. Ireland was mayor; Clifford A. Neff, clerk; Charles H.
Gale, treasurer, and the council consisted of C. S. Britton, B. P. Bole, A. S. Chisholm, Abram Garfield, Max McMurray,
and N. W. Stanley. On the walls of the council chamber of the new building hangs a fine oil painting of Aaron Williams,
the old lamp lighter, who served in that capacity "since the mind of man runs not to the contrary."
The schools of Bratenahl are housed in a commodious building on East One Hundred and Fifth Street. There are eight
teachers, and the enrollment is 158. The principal is Miss Sara Bair. This is a grade school, and the pupils are
permitted to attend the high schools of Cleveland until graduation, their tuition being paid by the village. The
school board consists of W. E. Dustin, president; Miss Mary H. Giles, as we have said, clerk; A. D. Baldwin, Mrs.
J. P. Burton, E. A. Foote, and Charles L. Stocker.
It would be of interest to trace the history of many who have entered into the political life of Bratenahl, but
as they are so essentially a part of Greater Cleveland they will be considered in connection with later chapters.
As to the selection of the name, it was taken from Bratenahl Road, an old East Cleveland - Euclid thoroughfare,
which came, it is alleged, from an early pioneer family.