History of Allen Township, Darke County Ohio
From: History of Darke County, Ohio
From its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time
By: Frazer E. Wilson
The Hibart Publishing Company
Milford, Ohio 1914


This township is one of the northern tier and lies just east of Mississinawa. It was taken from Brown township in March, 1839, and containd all of townships 14 and 15 north, range 2 east, except one tier of sections from the eastern part of each. It was reduced to its present size in 1848, when township 15 was thrown into Mercer county, and now contains thirty sections of land. It is drained. mainly by the upper Wabash and the head of the north branch of the Stillwater. The former enters the township near the extreme northwest corner and runs southeastward to the southeast quarter of section 15, thence northeastward to the southeast quarter of section 11, where it crosses the Wabash township line. The Stillwater rises in the southwest corner of section. 17, near school No. 4, flows southeastward to southeast quarter of section 26, thence southward and crosses the Brown township line near the center of the south line of section 35. The water shed between the Wabash and Miami liasins traverses this township, and the surface is generally rolling with occasional hills along the streams. The uplands contain much clay, while the bottoms are of a rich dark soil. There was much fine hard timber in this section which was cut off to a large extent later than that in the sections further south.

Ephriam and Aaron Ireland were the first settlers and located in the northeast quarter of section 34. Other pioneers were George Reigel and sons. John, David, Jacob and Jonathan; Samuel Zerby, Samuel Aspaugh, Landis Light, John Hagerman, Matthias Barnhart, Francis Jenkinson, Henry Brown and James Cochran.

The first school house was built in 1840 in section 30. There are now nine school districts, besides village schools.

The Methodists erected the first church in 1854, two miles west of Rossburg at the northeast corner of section 32, and the Lutherans erected the next about half a mile farther west on the south side of the Lightsville pike in 1855, where the Holiness church now stands. Bishop John Seibert is credited with being the first preacher in the township, and the Evangelicals the first to hold services in private houses. Rev. T. Hiestand was the pioneer Methodist preacher.

There was no railroad in this township until the C. J. & M. (now C. N.) was constructed through the second tier of townships about 1883. This road has been largely instrumental in developing the township and since its construction three villages have been developed, viz., Rossburg, New Weston and Burkettsville.

Rossburg (formerly Rossvile.)

This village was laid out by John G. Ross in 1868, at the cornering of sections 26, 27, 34 and 35. A blacksmith shop, a store and a postoffice soon formed the nucleus of the new village and it made but little progress until the building of the "Mackinaw" railway about 1883; since that time it has made substantial progress and now contains a town hall, a council chamber, a bank, a hotel, a postoffice, a railway station and U. B. and M. E. churches, besides a lodge, elevator, mill and several stores. The population in 1910 was 261.

New Weston.

This is one of the new villages of the county and is located four miles north of Rossburg on the line between sections 3. and 10. Like Rossburg, its development was due largely to the construction of the Cincinnati Northern railway. It now contains a town hall, a postoffiite, telephone exchange, public school, U. B. church, elevator, depot, livery, lodge and stores. The population in 1910 was 258, just three less than Rossburg.

Burkettsville (Gilbert's Station.)

This village is located one mile north of New Weston at the intersection of the county line and the C. & N. railway. It has grown up since the construction of the railway. It is built in a community largely Catholic, like the southern part of Mercer County generally, and contains a Catholic church and school, a town hall, station, elevator and Church of Christ on the Mercer county side, while on the Darke county side are located the postoffice, public school, hotel, elevator, stores and the Catholic cemetery. The total population in 1910 was 236.

Allen township has roads on most of the section lines, many of which have been graded and built up in recent years making fine pikes. The real estate was assessed at $1,757,390 and the chattels at $484,350 in 1913. The population in 1910 was 1,826.

Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy