History of Jackson Township, Darke County Ohio
From: History of Darke County, Ohio
From its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time
By: Frazer E. Wilson
The Hibart Publishing Company
Milford, Ohio 1914


This township at the time of its erection, 1833, embraced what is now known as Gibson township in Mercer county, and Mississinawa and Jackson townships in Darke county, known geographically as townships 13, 14 and 15 of range 1 east, then belonging to Washington township. Gibson township was detached in 1836, and Mississinawa in 1839, reducing Jackson to its present proportions. The northern part is comparatively level with a gentle slope toward the Mississinawa basin, and has a dark loamy soil, which is very productive. A variety of forest trees originally grew in this section, including oak, walnut, ash, elm and hickory. The central part of this township is undulating and contains considerable clay in its elevated portion. Beech was the predominating timber in the primitive forest here, interspersed with considerable sugar maple and shell bark hickory. The southern part of the township is the most rolling, while the soil contains a larger per cent, of loam and loose fertile soil, especially in the valleys and low lying tracts. The headwaters of the Stillwater drain the eastern half of the township and form what is known as the "flats or spreads," of Stillwater, a district known in early days for the swampy condition during the spring freshets, but now well drained and almost entirely reclaimed by the plow. Perhaps because of its dense woods, lack of roads and comparatively inaccessible condition this township was not settled as early as some others. However, about 1829, Jacob and Richard Strait, Gilbert Vail, Tobias Miller, Abraham Miller, John Armstrong, John Wright, William and Samuel Dennison and John Woods made settlements and were soon followed by William Parent, John McFarland, Isaac Beal; William Ross, Frederick Roe, William K. Marquis, John Crurnrine, Gilbert Hand and Joseph Hay. The first school house was built in section 35. The first church was built by the Methodists. With the progress of road building, railway construction and drainage this has become one of the best townships in the county. Union City (Ohio side) is located in the southwestern, Hill Grove in the southern and Elroy in the eastern part of this township. Three railways and a traction line traverse the southern part of the township and converge at Union City. The tax assessment of 1913 showed $1,975,720 in real and $1,086,720 in personal property outside of Union City. Adding the latter the grand total assessment was $4,058,880, indicating the substantial growth of this township in the brief history of its existence. The population of Jackson township, including Union City, Ohio, in 1910, was 2,968.

Union City, Ohio.

Union City was platted in 1838, and incorporated December 6, 1853. It is distinctively a railroad center and owes its remarkable development to that fact. The Greenville and Miami railway was completed to this point from Greenville on December 25, 1852. The Union and Logansport Railroad (now the Logansport division of the Pennsylvania railway) was started under the title of the Monroe and Mississinawa railroad, in 1854, but not completed until 1867. The "Bee Line" or Big Four reached Union City about the same time as the G. and M. (now D. and U). For many years Union City has been known for its large output of building material and vehicles, its elevators and warehouses. The main business and public buildings and institutions are on the Indiana side, but there is a large public school house, a U. B. church, a Free M. E. church and an I. O. O. F. lodge, known as State Line Lodge No. 724; which was instituted in 1883. The census of 1910 gave Union City, Ohio, a population of 1,595, and the entire city a population of 4,804. The tax assessment of real property on the Ohio side in 1913 was $744,550, and of personal property $251,890.

Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy