As suggested by the name, this township is the starting point of the Mississinawa branch of the Wabash river.
This stream rises in the north central part of the township, runs southeasterly, just crossing the eastern line,
then turns southwesterly, making a bow across the southern part and providing a drainage basin for about three
fourths of the entire area of this division. Within a mile of the head of this stream the eastern branch of the
Wabash arises and flows northeasterly into Mercer county. The upper waters of the west branch of the Stillwater
drain a small part of the southeastern section. With the exception of the northwestern section, which is inclined
to be hilly, the surface is generally level and highly productive, especially along the creek bottoms. In early
days it was covered with a fine growth of native trees, oak, ash, elm, hickory, sugar, maple and beech being round
in abundance This township is absolutely regular in outline, being five miles east and west and six miles north
and south and is geographically known as township 14, range 1. Previous to March, 1839, it was a part of Jackson
township. At that time the northern tier of sections belonged to Gibson township which extended to the Greenville
township line. On April 12, 1848y Gibson township was thrown into Mercer county and this tier of sections added
to Mississinawa giving it the proportions which it now possesses.
Philip Reprove is said to have been the pioneer settler in this township, locating in 1833 half a mile east of
the present site of Rose Hill. Joseph and William Reprogle soon followed, settling in this vicinity in 1835. Prominent
among the early settlers were: John B. Anderson, Samuel C. Carter, David Brooks, John A. McKibben, Hugh McKibben,
Wm. Van Kirk, Wm. B. Light, Francis Whitaker, E. H. Fisher and Mahlon Peters. The Methodists are credited with
building the first church, in 1851, near the southern line, a mile and a half east of the southwestern corner of
the township. There are now six churches in this township as follows: First M. E. church at Wrightsville; First
U. B. church at Rose Hill; Mt. Zion near Buck's Corner; Christian in central part; two Brethren (Progressive Dunkard).
The date of the erection of the first school house is probably unknown. At the present time there are nine rural
schools in this township.
The only villages are Lightsville and Rose Hill, both on the Fort Recovery pike in the southeastern part of the
township. The former was platted by Wm. B. Light in 1874, in section 6. There is a school employing two teachers
in this village. Rose Hill was laid out in 1852 at the joining of sections 14, 15, 22 and 23 on the high ridge
of the divide.
This township has the unique distinction of producing more natural gas than any in the county. In all probability
fifty wells have been drilled within the last six years, mostly by the Salem gas company, of Salem, Indiana. These
wells are about eleven hundred feet deep and some of them supply gas to Fort Recovery. Indications of the presence
of petroleum have been noticed in a few of these wells, but no permanently flowing well has been drilled.
Although there are no railways or important towns in this township the tax levy of 1913 shows a real estate valuation
of $1,524,530 and personal property to the extent of $348,560. Population in 1910, 1,258.