History of Richland Township, Darke
From: History of Darke County, Ohio
From its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time
By: Frazer E. Wilson
The Hibart Publishing Company
Milford, Ohio 1914
This township as now constituted is less regular in shape than most of the others in the county and comprises
territory taken from townships 10-3; 11-3, and 13-2. It was taken from Wayne township with sixteen sections from
Greenville and four from Adams, and was erected September 8, 1820. As originally constituted it comprised practically
all the, land now included in Allen, Wabash, Brown, York, Richland and two tiers of sections now forming the northern
part of Greenville township. In March, 1829, all of township 12, range 2, then belonging to Richland, was put into
Greenville township. In December, 1833, Brown township was detached and in June, 1837, York township in its original
form was detached, reducing Richland to its present proportions. The entire township is drained by the Stillwater
which enters near the northwest corner, runs southeasterly to the center of section 3, then takes a circuitous
eastern course through the central part of the county, turns northward in the northern part of section 4, then
eastward in the southwest quarter of section 27, and leaves the township near the line between sections 27 and
34. The surface is broken along its course, comprising fertile stretches of bottom land interspersed with hills.
There is a diversity of black loam and mixed clay lands which are quite productive under scientific cultivation.
This village is located on the Stillwater at the intersection of the Greenville and Ansonia pikes near the center of the west line of section 32, range 3. It was platted in 1837, by John Beam, who also erected the first house. Rev. M. Wintermuth, Baptist, was the first preacher in Beamsville, and was succeeded by Rev. Seymour Craig. The Reformed and United Brethren Societies built a union church on the north bank of Stillwater west of Main street about 1842. In later years the Reformed denomination took over the property and held services for several years but finally disbanded. Rev. George Adams represented the Christian church as early as 1848-49. All these denominations have disbanded except the Christian which still has a flourishing church and Sunday school in the village. The township house is located here, also school No. 5, which built a new two room modern brick school house a few years since. A good general mercantile business is carried on in this place. Among the prominent physicians who lived here were Ford, Smith, Hooven, Hostetter, Peck, Tillman, Zellers, Husted and Brandon.
Nevada (Dawn Postoffice.)
This village was laid out in 1854 by L. W. Johnson at the center of section 20, when he erected a saw mill. Additions were later made by Shelley, Birch, Uriah Winbigler, O. F. Davidson and James McFarland. The "Big Four" railway has a station here and considerable mercantile business is transacted. The Methodists built a church on the north side of the village in 1872, and the Christians on the south side in 1907. School No. 4 is located opposite the last named structure on south Main street.
This village was laid out by Solomon Farmer in 1851, near the center of the south line of section 9, range 3,
township 11. It is located on the Logansport division of the Pennsylvania railway and lies in the midst of a fertile
country. The story of its establishment is thus related by an early writer: "About the time when the forty
miners' were en route overland to the gold fields of the far Pacific, John Patterson determined to realize his
expectations nearer home. He had inherited a large farm, located east of Stelvideo. There being promise of quite
a village here, Mr. Patterson brought a number of lots, erected a steam saw mill, a two story tavern and induced
the erection of several other buildings. These improvements were made in 1852 and 1853. Through correspondence
with Alfred Brisbane, S. Andrews, Dr. Nichols and other noted Socialists, Stelvideo soon became a center for modern
radicalism of all kinds, save and exceptfree love.' Meantime, the dress reform movement was being agitated by Amelia
Bloomer and other ladies. The costume was generally adopted by the feminine population of this village. So many
'isms' and 'eulogies,' so much amplitudes in freedom and brevity in costume was obnoxious to the people residents
in the neighborhood, who proceeded to make Paterson and his 'confreres' desirous of going elsewhere. The Pluribus
Unum hotel was vacated, several houses partially completed were left unfinished, the saw mill and other property
was disposed of at a sacrifice, and Mr. Patterson and his followers moved to Berlin Heights, in Huron county, where
quite a colony of Modern Liberalists of various phases assembled. They published a weekly newspaper, and, for a
time, attracted popular attention."