This township was erected in 1841, and contains all that part of townships 14 and 15 North, of range 2 east,
and 12 and 13 north of range 3 east, that lay in York township, except two tiers of sections on the south. In 1848
township 15 north, range 2 east, and township 13, range 3 east, were taken into Mercer county, and in June, 1848,
sections 2, 11, 14 and 23 were taken from Patterson township and added to the east side of Wabash, making it four
sections north and south and about five and one half sections east and west. It probably derived its name from
the Wabash river which drains its upper portion.
Some of the early settlers in this township were William A. Davison and Nimrod Ross, who came in 1838. They were
followed by Isaac Finkbone, Elijah Shook, Justin Skinner, Samuel Hayes, John M. Houston and A. D. Birth.
The first school house was built in 1840 in section 13 and the first M. E. church in the southeast quarter of the
same section in 1844, where a church still exists. The first teacher in the above school was Elijah Raines, from
Greene county. The elevated plateau between the Wabash and Stillwater creeks runs through the southern part of
the township and is covered with a light soil, underlaid with a stiff clay, subsoil capable of producing good crops
of grain. The northern part of the township is drained by branches of the Wabash and contains much good fertile
bottom land. Besides the M. E. church mentioned there is a Christian church in the northwest quarter of section
12, a church in the southeast corner of section 3, a Lutheran church in the southwest quarter of section 15, and
a Catholic church at Delvin, in the northeast corner of section 15. The latter is called St. John's church and
was organized in 1892 with thirty families under the Rev. Leo Boehmer. The first church building was completed
in 1893, under Rev. Louis Hefele. Rev. Charles Votheis succeeded Hefele. Later it was attended from Versailles,
Ohio. In 1906, it was attached as a mission to St. Nicholas church, Osgood, Ohio. Rev. 5. Rahrle looked after the
interest of the parish from 1906 until 1912, and was succeeded by Rev. B. H. Franzer. This mission will soon be
consolidated with the church now building in North Star.
There is no railway in this township. The entire population in 1910 was 1,225. The real estate was listed for taxation
in 1913 at $1,331,470, and the chattels at $229,390.
This is the principal village in the township, and is situated at the quartering of sections 8, 9, 16 and 17
near the center of the township. It was laid out in 1852. It is seventeen miles from Greenville and eighteen miles
from Celina on the pike surveyed by John Devor in 1841. It now contains a town hall, postoffice, public school,
store, Christian church and a Catholic church.