History of Jackson Township, Franklin County OH

From: History of Franklin County, Ohio
By: Opha Moore
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis, 1930


JACKSON TOWNSHIP.

Jackson Township comprises in its territory some of the most fertile farm lands in the county. It is bounded on the north by Franklin Township, on the east by the Scioto River, on the south by Pickaway County and on the west by Pleasant Township. The rich farm lands on the west bank of the Scioto River are a valuable part of its agricultural resources and a number of small streams which empty into the Scioto give it excellent drainage and plenty of bottom acreage. For a long time the township suffered from lack of good roads, but it is now traversed in all directions by highways of the finest and most permanent types of construction. The Jackson Pike and the Harrisburgh Pike are main traveled roads and along the latter until its recent abandonment there ran an electric railway which contributed very largely to the building up of the community. On the line of this suburban line and also on the line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, which cuts the northwestern corner of the township, lies the progressive and prosperous village of Grove City, which according to the federal census of 1930 had a population of 1546. This village has banks, grain elevators, schools of the most modern type, several churches and a thriving business. A few years since, when the property of the association in Columbus became too valuable to be longer used for horse racing, the Columbus Driving Park Association removed its plant to Grove City, which thus became a center of the racing business. Running races are held there regularly and harness racing a1so has its place in the program. There has also been some greyhound coursing at the track. The introduction of this element into the life of the community has naturally made some change in its tone, but the licenses almost pay the cost of the municipal government and the races bring much business to the town.

Jackson Township was first set off with its permanent boundaries and name in 1815. The first settler was Hugh Grant, a native of Maryland, whose descendants long were prominent in the community. He settled in 1805 in what was afterward Jackson Township, removing there directly from Ross County. Not knowing the exact location of the 450 acres which he had purchased, he "squatted" on land near the Scioto River and was killed before he had found his farm. His widow, however, had it located and removed there, where she resided until her death in 1836. Mr. Grant was an expert hunter. He was credited with killing eighty two deer during one fall. Among the other early settlers of Jackson Township were Jonas Orders, John Curry, Samuel Breckenridge, Percival Adams, William C. Duff, James Seeds, John Hoover, William Brown, Jacob Borror, Henry Baumgartner, John C. Neff, Hawkes Bawbee and Valentine F. Shover. The names of descendants of all these pioneers are closely woven into the history of both Jackson Township and Franklin County. The first white child born in the township was Nancy, daughter of William C. and Cathering Neff. William Brown built the first brick house in 1814.

A sawmill was built on Turkey Run by Robert Seeds, the progenitor of a numerous and influential posterity. This was carried away by a flood, but Mr. Seeds built another mill on Grant Run, which was in 1850 converted to steam power.

The Jackson Township pioneers were eager for educational opportunities, for as early as 1815, the year in which the township was organized, a school was established within its boundaries.


Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy