History of Pleasent Township Franklin County OH

From: History of Franklin County, Ohio
By: Opha Moore
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis, 1930


PLEASANT TOWNSHIP.

Pleasant Township occupies the extreme southwest corner of Franklin County and has always been a purely rural community. It was organized in 1807 and was at that time about five times its present size. The organization of Jackson Township in 1815 and of Prairie in 1819 reduced it to its present area. It is bounded on the north by Prairie Township, on the east by Jackson Township, on the south by Pickaway County and on the west by Madison County. It has two considerable streams, Big Darby and its tributaries, Little Darby and Heil Branch Run, which, with other smaller tributaries of the Big Darby, cut up the surface of the western part of the township and make that section quite rolling. The bottom lands are extraordinarily rich, however, being famed as corn lands, and the level parts of the township are so fertile as to justify the name adopted. It contains three villages, Pleasant Corners, Georgesville and Harrisburg, the last of which alone is incorporated. According to the census of 1930 Harrisburg, which is situated on the line between Franklin and Pickaway Counties, had a population of 276. Pleasant Township was settled very early, the first pioneers there being Thomas and Elijah Chenowith, natives of Maryland, who came to Pleasant Township directly from Pike County, Ohio, in 1799. They bought 200 acres of land each where the present village of Harrisburg stands. They were followed by Benjamin Foster, Samuel Kerr, John Biggart, John Dyer, Thomas Roberts, James Gardner, Philip Huffman, Adam Spangler, Foster Price, James Walker, John McKinley, William Cummins, Marmer Duke Story, Handy Smith, William L. Foster, James Bradfield, George Francis, R. M. Worthington, Gideon Walton, Samuel Kerr, Reuben Chaffin, William D. Adams, John V. Leach, John Turner, Charles Hunter, Morris Yates, John Harvey, George Goodson, Simon Cochran and James Walker. Descendants of these pioneers still hold much of the farm lands of the section. John B. McKinley, formerly an official of Franklin County, still held a few years ago part of the land settled on by his ancestor. The first tavern was built at Harrisburg and through several changes developed into a modern hotel, the United States. Harrisburg was incorporated in 1851, the village officers being as follows: Mayor, Dr. J. Helmick; recorder, Z. G. Weddle; trustees, Henry Miller, J. Chenowith, O. T. Curry, L. W. Syfert, Dr. George W. Helmich.

The Big Four Railroad cuts through the northwestern corner of the township, having the unincorporated village of Georgesville on its line. An electric line from Columbus to Morgan's Station and the State Farm for Imbeciles passed through the southeastern part of the township, but this was abandoned some years ago.


Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy