History of Butler Township, Ohio
From: History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1907
Is one of the leading townships of the county. Its land is in a high state of cultivation, the farms are well
kept and the buildings are modern and up to date. A great many of the farmhouses are of brick and one seldom sees!
other than large capacious barns and granaries. As in the case of the other townships, corn, wheat and oats are
the main crops raised. The soil is well adapted to these crops as well as to timothy and clover, which are raised
in plentiful crops. The township is traversed by two railroads, the Cincinnati Northern, running north and south
and the Lake Erie & Western, which runs from northeast to southwest. Both pass through Coldwater, the principal
town, thus affording a good market for the people of the township.
One of the first settlers of the township was J. C. Gray, who came here in 1835. Peter Stevens came here from Licking County, Ohio, in 1837. Philip Baker moved to Mercer County in 1836; his son Jacob settled in section 21, Butler township, in 1840; some of the family still live in the township. The Snider and Frank families were among the earliest settlers of Butler township. Samuel Snider was the first settler on land in section 34. George Frank built the first blacksmith shop. The first store house was built by David Buzzard and the first dwelling house in Coldwater was built by Samuel Snider. John F. Hickman was born in Mercer County in 1836 and lived here all his life. Jeremiah Plummer moved to Mercer County in 1836 and became a resident of Butler township; Isaac Kester, in 1839; and John Buehler and W. B. Wigner, in 1840. Jacob Hyman settled near Coldwater in 1844. John F. Albers, a native of Germany, settled in Butler township in 1846; his family were the first settlers on land in section 4. At this time Mercer County was one vast woods. James Grunden was another pioneer of Butler township, settling here in 1846. Joseph H. Smith entered land in 1832 and settled on it in 1852. He was the first settler on land in section 32. President Martin Van Buren signed his government deed. The Indians were his nearest neighbors on the west. He assisted in building the first schoolhouse in the district. When the family moved on the land they had a big oak tree for their shelter until they raised a cabin in which to live. Wild animals of all kinds abounded. Henry Lennartz settled here with his parents in 1848, when 12 years old. John J. Spoltman came in 1849; John W. Bennett and Herman Nieberding, in 1855; Joseph Birkmeyer, in 1857; and Henry Roetker, in 1858. Butler township is at present settled with a German population, who are an industrious and frugal people.
Butler township has two large and flourishing Roman Catholic churches: Holy Trinity at Coldwater and St. Mary's
at Philothea. The history of these churches is given in another chapter of this work.
Butler township is well supplied with excellent district schools. The schoolhouses compare favorably with those in other sections of the county. The Coldwater Village School District has a modern, two story, brick schoolhouse, one of the finest in the county, erected recently at a cost of $10,000, which is a credit to the village. John Omlor is superintendent of the schools, having recently succeeded J. H. Tener in this position. The village Board of Education is constituted as follows: William Wendel, F. A. Franks, Anthony Mesher, J. M. Wilhoff and Charles Stukenborg. The High School department of the village schools has 17 pupils and ranks as third grade.
This village, located in the center of Butler township, on the Cincinnati Northern and Lake Erie & Western.
railroads, is one of the most active business towns in the county. It was laid out by William A. O. Munsell, the
plat being recorded on August i8, 1859. It is a growing town and has a bank and a newspaper, and all the stores
and industries necessary to the welfare and the convenience of the people. It is also well supplied with churches,
Holy Trinity Catholic Church, one of the largest structures in the county; and the Coldwater Methodist Episcopal
Church. During the last 25 or 30 years the town has had a steady growth. The population was 237 in 1880; 490 in
1890; and 627 in 1900. Coldwater was incorporated as a village in 1883. The present village officers are: Mayor,
F. A. Franks; clerk, Edw. W. Hess; treasurer, J. B. Haslinger; and marshal, William Mackey. The village has a Town
Is a small settlement with a population of about 20, situated in the southwest part of the township. St. Mary's Catholic Church is located here. J. H. Bruns & Company have a grocery store here; H. T. Noble, a tailor shop; and Ben. Spoltman, a blacksmith shop.
Return to [Ohio History][History at Rays Place][Rays Place]