Is six miles in length from east to west and five miles wide from north to south. It has an area of 30o square
miles. It is hounded on the north by Dublin township, on the east by Center township, on the south by Jefferson
township, and on the west by Liberty township. The township is level throughout and the soil is exceedingly fertile.
There are no streams of importance within its borders. It has three country stores at different places in the township.
At Stedcke, John W. Shively has a general store; at Tamah, a station On the Cincinnati Northern Railroad, there
is a store and grocery and also a grain elevator; and at Oregon, a station on the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton
Railway, there is a store. The Home Telephone Company, of which the secretary, I. N. Kraner, is a resident of Hopewell
township, has lines all over the township.
The township was organized December 6, 1842. The present township officials are as follows: Trustees - William
Hair, G. F. Sielschott and B. F. Smith; cleric, Ed. Hellwarth; treasurer, John Now; justices of the peace - James
L. Morrow and John L. Hansel: The population in 1880 was 1,185 in 1890, 1,414; and in 1900, 1,313.
The western part of the township was largely settled by people of German descent. The northern and eastern portions
were settled by Englishspeaking people from the older counties of Ohio. The early families of German people were
those of Wilhelm Fetter, Michael Hellwarth, John Miller, John Frahm, Frederick Sielschott, Henry Beathler, John
Now and the Siebert family, John H. and Adam Siebert still live here. Jacob Eichar, one of the pioneers of this
township, came from Stark County, Ohio, September 1837. His family live here at present. Joshua Roberts was an
early settler of the county. He first came to Center and afterwards moved into Hopewell township, in 1879. William
Morrow came to this township when it was a wilderness and has lived to see it cleared and improved with good homes
and beautiful farms, surrounded by all the comforts and conveniences. William Buck, Peter W. Shrimp, Edward Willcutt,
W. L. Groves, John Lehman, Lewis Smith and Henry Crogman all came to this township. 50 or more years ago. J. C.
Broolchart settled in the township in 1851; Samuel Broolchart settled in the county in 1852. Amos Chapman is an
old settler of the township. The Pierstorf family came from Germany prior to the Civil War and settled in the township.
William Y. Wallace was a pioneer, who settled here in 1837. Moses McCristy was a native born citizen of Mercer
County, born March 7, 1832. The Fast family came about 5o years ago. John E. Smith settled in Mercer County in
1847, coming from Germany.. William Regedanz came from Germany and settled here in 1852. Tobias Eichenauer was
born in Germany and settled in Mercer County in 1867. There are others who came at a later date and have been instrumental
in developing and improving the township. Frederick Stedcke, who settled here at a very early date, has been a
worker in church and educational matters in the county.
Hopewell township is well supplied with schools and churches, having six religious organizations.
German Evangelical Lutheran, St. John's congregation, was incorporated May 21, 1866, its trustees at this time
being William Grube, Sr., Charles Weis and J. Frahm. It was served in connection with other churches of the denomination
until 1883, when Rev. W. Luedemann became pastor, in which capacity he served until 1891. The congregation was
without a pastor, in 1892. From 1893 to 1906, inclusive, the following were in charge of St. John's congregation:
Revs. John Tontaman, William Grabeman, John Fritz and H. J. Belcher. Rev. J. E. Harman, pastor of St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church at Celina, is now filling the pulpit. The congregation numbers 150 members and the Sunday school
has an average attendance of 50. The large brick church is valued at $4,000, and the parsonage, at $500.
Hope Church, of the Evangelical Association of North America, dates from June 26, 1868, when the Hoffniing class
of this denomination met in the church of Mount Hope, in Hopewell township, and elected the following trustees:
John E. Smith, Andrew Stedcke, Frederick Smith, Conrad Smith and John Hellwarth. The present church, located in
the western part of the township, was built in 1894, under the direction of the pastor, Rev. George Readerer, at
a cost of $1,300. The parsonage was erected at a cost of $800. The church has a membership of 170, and the Sunday
school, an average attendance of about 100. Herewith are given the names of the pastors of the church since 1881,
with, their respective terms of service: Revs. William Konig (three years), Henry Arlen (three years), Shuh (two
years), Albert Fisher (three years), George Readerer (three years), William Ackerman (two years), J. F. Bockman
(one year), John Schnitz (one year), H. H. Schlicker (two years), L. J. Ehrhart (two years) and L. J. Buyer, who
will have served four years, in April, 1907.
There are two societies of the Church of God, Tabor in the eastern part of the township and Pleasant View, in the
western, both of which, with Mount Carmel Church of God in Liberty township, are served by Rev. J. W. Johnson.
The Tabor class was organized in the Mercer Methodist Episcopal Church where services were held for a number of
years. In 1883 Tabor Church, a frame structure, was built at a cost of $1,500. The members of the class at this
time were: William Hensel, Jacob Fast, A. G. Fast and Anderson Chapman and their families. William Hensel, Jacob
Fast and A. G. Fast were the trustees. The church was dedicated in September, 1883, by Rev. Koogle, who was then
pastor. He was followed by the following, in order as named: Revs. Poland, Cassel, McNutt, Hoover, Munyen, Poland,
Rockwell, Richey, Miller and Johnson, who is the present pastor. The class has a present membership of 4o. The
Sunday school has an average attendance of 35.
Union United Brethren Church was organized many years ago; the first members of the church were Andrew Sherrick
and wife, William Morrow and wife, Enoch Johnson and wife, John Tester, Gilliam Hamline and wife, Daniel Weaver
and wife and John Cook and wife. The present church build' ing, located near the center of the township, was erected
in 1892 at a cost of $1,500. The church has a present membership of 70 and an average attendance at Sunday school
of so. The church belongs to the branch called "Radical" and has been served by the following pastors:
Revs. Michael Johnson (two years), William Kiracoffe (two years), William Kindel (two years), Thomas Coats (twos
years), Thomas Beber (two years), Jacobi Kiracoffe (two years), Thomas Weyn (two years), C. S. Johnson (two years),
Thomas Harvey (three years), A. J. Steman (two years), James Sherer (two years), and J. L. Culbertson, who is serving
his second year. Union Church and Otterbein Church in Dublin township are served by the same pastor.
The Friends' Church in Hopewell township was organized some 20 or more years ago, John H. Dysert being the leader
at that time. The church is located in the northwest corner of the township and cost $1,500. The society has a
membership of 40. Rev. Isaiah Jay is the pastor.