History of Recovery Township, Ohio
From: History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1907
Was organized May 5, 1831. It is bounded on the north by Washington township., on the east by Granville and Butler townships, on the south by Gibson township and on the west by the State of Indiana. It is six miles from east to west and has an average width from north to. south of about four miles. The south line is irregular, being the Greenville treaty line, separating Recovery from Gibson township. Gibson township was organized as a part of Mercer County at a later date, and lies between Recovery township and the Darke County line. The Wabash. River flows across the township and is the only stream of any size in the township; at one time it afforded power for a number of mills that were built upon its banks. The surface of the township is inclined to be rolling. The soil is very fertile. The population of the township was 1,272 in 188o; 1,487 in 189o; and 1,396 in 1900. The present township officials are as follows : Trustees—Valentine Herby, J. W. Buscher and Charles Stein; clerk, Otto Summers; treasurer, Ber. Grieshop; justices of the peace—J. S. Clum and Michael Shock.
We find that entries of land in this township were made as early as 1831, possibly at an earlier date, but the
fact of entry does not make those who entered the land settlers. A great many acres were entered by parties who
never lived on the land. The McDowell family were early settlers. John Adney, David Beardslee and Obed Beardslee
moved to the township in an early day. Alexander Grant was a pioneer. William Downs, the Andersons, Nickersons
and Scotts, Nehemiah Grover and Isaac DeHays were among the pioneers, and their names are familiar ones in the
township today. John Grant, Jacob and John Runckle, William Money, Alexander Scott, John Doll, John Wise, H. Davidson,
John Miller, Wendel Doll, Anthony Dull, Samuel Phipps, A. Tucker, William McDowell, John S. McDowell, Anthony Bloom;
Morand Buschor, George Troutman, James Houser, Daniel Roesner, Daniel Jones, Peter Schwartz, Philo Willischeck,
Martin Burris, James Stowe, Ignatius Tollarcl, Isaiah Totten, Joseph Weis, Daniel Van Trees and many more helped
to clear up and develop the township. David Anderson built the first mill on the Wabash River in the county in
1832. P. D. Moss built and operated an ox mill, which may also be classed as one of the first mills in the county.
MONTEREY, ST. JOSEPH AND FERNER.
Recovery township has within its borders a number of small hamlets that usually have a store or grocery and,
before the free delivery of mail went into effect, a postoffice.