History of Washington Township, Ohio
From: History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1907
The lands in this township were nearly all entered between the years 1836 and 1840 and the larger tracts were entered by parties who never lived in the county and were called speculators' land. In section 1 David Cathcart entered 641 acres in 1839. He never lived on the land. Jefferson Walters, who lived at Dayton, Ohio, entered 320 acres in 1837. He never lived in the county but kept his land until in the '80's. It was unfortunate for the township that so much land was held by non residents who did nothing to clear and improve their lands, but this land is now owned by resident landowners who have cleared and improved it.
Most of the early settlers entered land in 4o, 80 and 160 acre tracts. Among the first settlers in the township were John Boley, John Betz, Samuel Arbaugh, David Harrod, E. A. Hillary, William Spriggs, W. Fishpaw, Peter McMillen, Joseph Loughridge, David Houston, William B. Wilson, Daniel Freeman, John Dixon, William Loughridge, Amos Dixon, H. Davidson, William Davidson, Joseph Davidson, George L. Adair, Henry Fortman, William C Armstead, Samuel McDowell, Richard Scott, Thomas Clinton and Adam Miller.
Washington township has two Christian or New Light churches - Bethel and Wabash. Bethel Church was organized
by Elder O. S. Green, June 17, 1871 with 31 communicants, with the Bible as their only rule of faith and practice,
and Christian character as the only test of Christian fellowship. Elder Green was chosen pastor and filled the
position many years. By 1880 the church had grown to a membership of between 80 and 90. - Wabash Church was organized
at the town of Wabash, March 28, 1880, by Elder O. A. Green, with 11 communicants, with the same tenets as Bethel
Church. The first Officers of the church where the following: Deacons - Joseph Doner and McCane; clerk, Allen Wishon.
The whole township constituted one school district until March 2, 1842, when it was divided into three districts, each six miles long and two miles wide. The records show that a Miss Montgomery was probably the first school teacher; in December, 1838, she was paid $6 for teaching. In February, 1839, Lewis J. Hunt was paid $30 for teaching. There are now 11 schoolhouses in the township, three brick and eight frame. There are II teachers employed at $50 per month for the eight months of school each year.
MACEDON, ERASTUS, PADUA AND WABASH.
This township contains no very large towns but there are four trading places. Macedon is a very old town. It
was laid out by William Nichols and George Arbaugh on September 28, 1838, in 6o lots. It had at one time a hotel,
two stores, grocery and blacksmith and wagon shop, but at present it has only a few esidents and no business is