WITH an honorable record of more than a century's existence behind her, Chillicothe well sustains her long established
reputation for solidity and wealth. The men who established the little hamlet in the wilderness in 1796, founded
that reputation, and their descendants and successors have well maintained it.
Chillicothe attained an eminent position in the political history of the State, long years before her commercial
and industrial character had received more than passing notice. And this was not due to any lack of interest in
industry, or of local pride; but, rather, to the overpowering influence of the strong political characters who
were at the helm of the ship of state. Their minds and energies were absorbed in shaping the destiny of the Northwest
Territory, and founding a state on the broad principles of human equality. To the Chillicothe party, headed by
Nathaniel Massie, is due the existence of the State of Ohio, with boundaries as at present established. The defeat
of the St. Clair party, and the consequent erection of the State on the basis desired by the Chillieotheans, is
fully told in another chapter. Prominent among General Massie's assistants were Thomas Worth. ington, Michael Baldwin,
Dr. Edward Tiffin, Judge Thomas Scott, and James Grubb. These names are immortal in Ohio's history.
They were also instrumental in the framing of the constitution of of the State, adopted in 1802, and in the admission
of state without the stigma of human slavery. These were absorbing themes, which not only engaged the attention
of the great leaders, but their followers as well; and the success thus achieved placed Ross county in the vanguard
of political prominence for many years thereafter. This position placed four Chillicotheans in the gubernatorial
chair, and four United States senators were residents of Chillicothe, as were, also, nine representatives in Congress;
three secretaries of state of Ohio; six judges of the Ohio supreme court; ten members of constitutional conventions,
with minor officials in the state and nation, in great numbers.
The religious and educational affairs of the city also received early attention, and liberal support. Merchants
were aggressive and public spirited, their stocks rivaling in value those exhibited by present day dealers. The
few manufactories established, supplied a wide range of territory. Chillicothe flour was famous as far away as
the Crescent city; cattle. from the Scioto valley, driven, or shipped from Chillicothe, were eagerly sought in
the eastern markets; pork, grain, and many other agricultural products, had a wide circle of distribution. The
city's banks were flourishing and impregnable, and general prosperity crowned the efforts of the people.
But if the reader will but reflect, he will observe that all the business of the earlier days was closely related
to agricultural supremacy. Chillicothe was then the center of one of the richest agricultural districts in the
'United States, a distinction which the locality has retained with creditable success. All business energy was
directed toward handling the products of the farms, and in supplying the farmers' needs. But this industry, however
profitable, was destined sooner or later, to find a limit.
The early settlers and business men of Chillicothe were generally people with agricultural tendencies and traditions.
They were sons of southern planters, who, disgusted with the curse of human slavery, had here sought an asylum
of liberty on soil uncontaminated with the pernicious influence of the slave driver. They had no manufactories
in their native country, knew nothing of the business of manufacturing, and eared less. Parental traditions and
customs are strong within the human breast. These men held the land, cultivated and improved it, erected homes,
maintained the honor of their country in council halls and on. the battle field, and lived out their allotted days
in the peace and harmony of the quiet village their industry had established. In this manner, the crucial point
in the history of Chillicothe was passed. Rival towns sprang up, in which manufacturing became the dominant feature.
Because of the influx of population due to the operation of the business, they soon surpassed Chillicothe in business
importance and populace. Conscious of her wonderful possibilities, yet disinclined to forsake the traditions of
her forefathers, Chillicothe plodded along her way until she was outstripped in the race for commercial importance,
by the zeal and energy of those inured to the life of turmoil in the manufacturing business, with all its speculation
and uncertainty. But in recent years there has been a decided change from the customs of the olden time.
The progressive men of the city have come to realize that Chillicothe possesses unsurpassed facilities for a successful
manufacturing center. The essential elements are fuel, material, railroad facilities and capital; another consideration
is nearness to the market of the consumers. All these essential conditions are met in Chillicothe, in a remarkable
degree An inexhaustible supply of coal is close at hand in the celebrated fields of Jackson county, while the West
Virginia coal fields are within easy access, with a through line of railroad connecting them with the city. Abundance
of natural gas is brought to the city from the Sugar Grove gas field. An apparently inexhaustible supply of the
best. hard woods may be found within easy reach of the city, while iron in crude or manufactured form, may be found
on the direct lines of railroad entering the town. Shipping facilities are unsurpassed, and points north, south,
east or west may be reached by the three railroads entering the city. Projected systems of electric railway lines,
now in course of construction, will connect the city with Columbus and Hillsboro, and intermediate points, not
to mention the most picturesque natural scenery in Southern Ohio. Geographically, the location is all that could
be desired, being located near the center of the State, east and west, and about half way between Columbus and
the Ohio river.
Abundant capital awaits the inception of any manufacturing enterprise which promises reasonable returns on the
investment. In comparatively recent years, several manufactories have come into existence in recognition of the
superior attractions and adaptability of the location.
Chillicothe has a population of twelve thousand nine hundred and seventy six. according to the census of 1900.
It contains a number of handsome and expensive residences and public buildings, while the average homes evince
an air of thrift and prosperity in their surroundings, in keeping with the industry and frugality of the occupants.
The city contains a less number of poor and squalid residences, indicative of poverty and misery, than most. cities
of its size.
The sanitary conditions are excellent, and the drainage system perfect. The board of health, and sanitary officers,
are vigilant in the discharge of their official duties, and the streets and alleys are kept in the most perfect
sanitary condition. A well organized and thoroughly trained fire department under pay from the city has three established
stations, which are equipped with the latest and best apparatus for the purpose designed. The efficiency of the
department has been demonstrated on many occasions. A board of fire commissioners, non political, has control of
the fire department.
A police force, the guardians of the public peace and property, are noted for their efficiency in the line of official
duties; and some of the members have received high commendations for successful detective work. As a class, they
are courte6us and obliging men, to whose vigilance and alertness is due the small percentage of burglaries and
unlawful acts, of which the city boasts.
The city government of Chillicothe for the present year (1902) is as follows: mayor, Wallace D. Yaple; civil engineer,
Henry M. Redd; city commissioner, John Cull; chief of the fire department, Val Brockmeyer; city solicitor, James
Cahill; city clerk, Robert D. Alexander; city treasurer, Luther B. Hurst; chief of police, John Stanley; city marshal,
Val. Southworth. The council is organized as follows: president, George L. Emmel; vice president, John Hamm; clerk,
Charles Schmauser; councilmen: First ward, George Tudor; Second ward, Frank Perry and Henry Gartner; Third ward,
Charles E. Tippett and William P. McDowell; Fourth ward, Fred C. Mader and W. H. Martin; Fifth ward, George L.
Emmell and George Litter; Sixth ward, John Hamm and Charles E. Robbins.
The board of health is organized with W. S. Scott, M. D., as health officer; James I. Boulger, clerk, and Henry
Hamm, policeman. The fire department comprises nine men in the employ of the city, besides the chief, and four
fire commissioners. Thirty two fire alarm boxes are located at different places about the city, these connected
with headquarters by means of electrical wires, which, according to an established code of signals, designates
the locality of the fire, by striking the fire alarm bell. The organization is thoroughly systematized and very
efficient in its work.
As early as February 27, 1826, a public reading room was opened in a building which stood on the present site of
the Alston block. It was unpretentious in. character, as the world was not then flooded with books. Newspapers,
public documents, magazines and miscellaneous periodicals, were provided for the use of patrons. To avoid the expense
of lights, the room was kept open only during the daylight hours. This "Reading Room" was kept by Benjamin
Masters, in his tavern on Paint street, at the sign of the Scioto Ox, the inn for kept by United States Senator
Joseph Kerr. Boarders at the inn had the privileges of the reading room free. But after one year's trial, at the
rate of three dollars' subscription, the room was closed as an unprofitable investment. The nucleus to the present
city library originated in 1848 and this was stimulated two years later, when the State legislature authorized
the expenditure of public funds for the establishment and maintenance of school libraries. The library was at first
located in the central school building, but after several moves, rendered necessary by increasing interest, and
the over crowding of its small quarters, in 1876, it reached its present permanent location in the city building
on Paint street. In 1874 it had six thousand volumes on its shelves, some of which were donations from private
libraries, but they were largely the accumulations from the three libraries which it succeeded. One of these was
the Young Men's Gymnasium and Library Association which was disorganized by reason of enlistment in the civil war,
and never resurrected. Edward Safford, now dead, was the moving spirit in establishing the young men's association.
At the beginning of the war, there was a teachers' library of several hundred volumes, besides unclaimed libraries
of State books which some of the district schools were unable, or unwilling, to provide for, in the single rooms
of the country school houses.
After the close of the civil war, Judge Stone, as president of the board of education, proposed a consolidation
of the three embryo libraries, which was consented to by the owners on the condition that the new organization
should be free to the public, and the further consideration that the board of education should appropriate one
hundred dollars annually with which to purchase new books. These very reasonable conditions were complied with,
and the proceeds of a permanent fund of two thousand dollars, which had accumulated from another source, was also
set apart for the purchase of books. In the late sixties, the legislature again came to the rescue, and authorized
the levying of a tax of one tenth of a mill on the taxable property of certain cities (of which Chillicothe was
one), for the support. of public libraries. From these various sources, an annual fund of about eight hundred dollars
is provided, and this is invested semi annually in new books. The contingent expenses of the library are paid by
the city authorities, who have always dealt very liberally with this, the city's ward.
The first librarian, after the formal organization, was William B. Franklin. He was succeeded by Henry atterson,
who resigned in 1887. James M. Burrows was then chosen to the position and an assistant was provided, in the person
of Miss Lizzie Butler. Under this management the work of classifying and systematizing the library was carried
forward with energy and intelligence, Mr. Burrows being very zealous and efficient. In August, 1899, Burton E.
Stevenson was chosen to the office of librarian, a selection warmly commended by the thousands of patrons. He possesses
all the elements of a successful and popular librarian, youth, intelligence, activity, an obliging disposition,
and perfect. familiarity with the thousands of volumes upon the shelves. The assistant librarian is Newton B. Overly,
who is also the truant officer of the city schools. The public library is open every week day, from nine o'clock
a. m. until nine p. m., and is a popular resort, much appreciated by the studious citizens of all ages, who daily
fill the convenient sittings provided in the reading room. More room for the accommodation of books and readers
is badly needed. Chillicothe may well be proud of her free public library, where eighteen thousand choice volumes
await the call of its patrons. Nearly thirty thousand volumes were in circulation during the year 1901, while fully
half that number were used in the reading room, without. removal.
Chillicothe is represented in journalism by four weekly newspapers, two dailies, and one semi monthly publication.
The latter is entitled "The Ohio Soldier," and is devoted, primarily, to the interests of veterans of
the civil war. It is a well edited and entertaining sheet. Captain John T. Raper, who saw service at the front
in the dark days of the sixties, is the editor, with publication places in Chillicothe, Cincinnati, Cleveland,
Columbus and Toledo.
The "Unsere Zeit" is a German weekly of high standing among the readers of the Teutonic language. It
is the only German paper, in the Scioto valley south of Columbus, a fact which advertisers and readers fully appreciate,
and accord to the "Unsere Zeit" a liberal patronage. The paper was established in 1868 by B. Fromm, grandfather
of the present publisher, to whom it was transmitted on the death of the son of the founder. C. Albert. Fromm learned
the details of the "art preservative" under the tutorship of his father, and is a young man especially
well fitted for the responsible position which has descended to him.
The Scioto Gazette is the oldest paper west of the Alleghenies, and one of the oldest papers of continuous publication
in the United States. For more than a century it has recorded not only the history of Chillicothe, of Ross county,
of the Northwest Territory, of Ohio, but also that of the nation, and, in briefer degree, the great happenings
of the world. No notable event has gone unrecorded in its columns; told in its types are the stories of five wars
in which this country has been victorious; it has recounted the growth of the nation from a struggling group of
states until now, when it is become one of the great powers of the world, with a flag that floats around the girdle
of the earth. The first issue of the Scioto Gazette appeared on April 25, 1800. Its founder and editor was Nathaniel
Willis, grandfather of N. P. Willis, the poet. The first editor of this paper was born in Boston; he was an apprentice
of Benjamin Franklin's and a member of the "Boston Tea party." Before coming to Chillicothe he had published
papers in Boston, in Martinsburg, Va., and in Winchester, Va. He remained the owner and editor until 1807, having
guided the destinies of the paper through the exciting period when Ohio was struggling for statehood, and having
contributed in no small degree to attaining the desired end. The Gazette was then, and for long afterward, the
most influential publication in the West, and exercised a perceptible influence even on affairs which became national.
From Willis' hands the Gazette passed to Gen. Peter Parcels, an officer of the war of 1812 and a justice of
the court of quarter sessions. In 1809 the paper was bought by Joseph Collins S. Co., who had for editors James
Foster, Carlos A. Norton and James Barnes. The latter was a member of the State legislature for four terms and
a man prominent in State councils. He bought the Gazette from Collins, but sold it in 1815 to John Bailhache, the
owner of another paper, "The Fredonian." He combined the two sheets, and afterward absorbed "The
Supporter," edited by Denny & Nashee. With Kashee and P. H. Olmstead, Bailhache started the Ohio State
Journal and, later, moved to Alton, Ill., where he founded the Alton Telegraph. Following Bailhache, in 1828, came
Robert Kercheval, a son in law of Gen. Duncan McArthur. In 1833 John Nevil Pumroy became editor, and was followed,
in 1834, by Dr. Benjamin, Owen Carpenter, a man prominent in the community and in the State, president of the Ross
County Medical society and of the Scioto Valley Medical association. During his term as editor the paper was printed
by William Cooper Howells, father of the eminent writer, William Dean Howells. In 1835 the Gazette was the first
to propose William Henry Harrison as a presidential candidate. The prestige of the paper attracted wide attention
to his opinions and utterances, and Harrison was nominated. Although defeated by Van Buren he was, as history tells,
again nominated, and, that time, elected.
In 1835 Seneca W. Ely bought the Gazette and became editor, remaining in that position, with a few short lapses,
until 1853. Ely was born in Bucks county, Pa., and learned the printer's trade in Rochester, N. Y. He was one of
the original subscribers to the old Marietta & Cincinnati, now the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern railway
and was its secretary. From 1848 to 1852 he was receiver of public moneys at Chillicothe. During one of his brief
absences from the paper he was treasurer of the first street railway in Cincinnati. He founded the Covington (Ky.)
Gazette and the Stillwater Valley Gazette, in Miami county. During the civil war he was treasurer of the great
Mississippi Valley Sanitary Fair, at St. Louis, which raised $675,000 for the soldiers. He became one of the editors
of the old Cincinnati Gazette, and remained with it until he retired from active life in 1892. He was a. delegate
from this district to the last Whig national convention in Baltimore in 1852. For several terms he was president
of the Chillicothe city council. Associated with Mr. Ely, for a time, was C. A. B. Coffroth, from Winchester, Va.
In 1839 the first editorial convention in Ohio was held in Columbus, arising from the suggestion of Mr. Ely, in
the Gazette. From 1839 to 1852 the paper ran a private reading room for the benefit of its friends, free. From
1839 to December, 1840, the paper was edited by W. Carey Jones, of Chillicothe. He afterward was admitted to the
bar, became secretary of the Congressional committee which had charge of the settlement of claims of United States
citizens against. Mexico, after the Mexican war, was an authority on old Spanish land laws, one of the counsel
for General Fremont in the latter's famous California land ease, and finally settled in California, where he was
a prominent citizen. In 1843 Mr. Ely, who had again become editor of the Gazette, sold it to Caleb Case Allen,
who, in 1845, admitted to partnership E. G. Squier, who, with Dr. Edwin H. Davis, of Chillicothe, afterward became
author of "Monuments of the Mississippi Valley," one of the most famous of works on American archaeology.
From 1840 to 1847 the paper was published as a weekly and tri weekly. In 1847 Mr. Ely again came back to the Gazette,
with Mr. Allen, and, in that year, the Gazette was the original proponent of Gen. Zachary Taylor for the presidency.
Ely & Allen built and operated the first telegraph line between here and Portsmouth, and the first telegraphic
news printed in Chillicothe was in the Gazette, on December 30, 1847. From 1849 to 1853 William Rufus Looker, of
Chillicothe, was associated with Ely & Allen. In 1849 the Gazette, besides its weekly and tri weekly editions,
began to be published as a daily, and continued so until 1857.
In 1853 Ely, Allen & Looker sold out to Otway Curry, son of James Curry, one of the earliest settlers of Highland
county. Mr. Curry was a lawyer, had been a member of the legislature, and was a man of considerable attainments,
achieving quite widespread reputation as a poet. In 1854 he sold to James H. Baker and A. P. Miller. Baker was
an able man, prominent in State politics. He was secretary of state for Ohio under Governor Chase. In 1855 he removed
to Minnesota, was elected secretary of state there, became colonel of the Tenth Minnesota infantry in the civil
war, was provost marshal of Missouri during the war, served a short time as commissioner of pensions under President
Grant, afterward commissioner of railroads for Minnesota, and at last accounts, was living on his estates near
Mankato, Minn. A. P. Miller succeeded to the ownership of the Gazette when Mr. Baker removed in 1858. He remained
until 1866. After leaving the Gazette he was with the Ohio State Journal; with D. R. Locke (Petroleum V. Nasby"),
on the Toledo Blade, and later, with the Tribune and the Mail and Express, of New York.
From 1866 to 1868 Col. Thomas D. Fitch, now of Troy, O., was the owner and editor of the Gazette. Following him
came J. R. S. Bond, and Bond & Son, 1868 to 1874; Raper & Wolfe, 1874 to 1886. During the time from 1882
to 1884 the city editor of the Gazette was Charles F. Lummis, now the well known writer and authority on the history
of the Southwest and Mexico. R. G. Lewis owned the paper from 1886 to 1892, having various editors, among them,
Gen. S. H. Hurst. On September 29, 1892, the Gazette passed into the hands of Messrs. J. C. Entrekin and M. Boggs.
Mr. Huston Robins, afterward probate judge of Ross county, had editorial management and the business management
was in the hands of Mr. G. W. C. Perry. In 1893 the Gazette was taken by George H. Tyler, who combined the Chillicothe
Leader with it. The Daily Gazette was started on November 28, 1892. On November 16, 1896, the Gazette passed into
the hands of the Scioto Gazette Co. composed of the late M. Boggs, D. M. Massie, J. C. Entrekin, G. H. Smith, G.
W. C. Perry and B. F. Stone, all men of weight and standing in city, county and state, with Mr. Perry as business
manager and Ed. S. Wenis city editor. Since the new management took hold the Gazette has continuously grown more
successful, both financially and as an influence in county and state. It owns and occupies its own building, has
a well equipped plant, some of the handsomest newspaper offices in Ohio, is a member of the Associated Press, the
only member in Ross county, publishes an eight page daily and a sixteen page weekly, also publishes "The Ohio
Soldier," has a wide reaching influence, and has few, if any, equals as a live, wide awake, up to date newspaper
in any city the size of Chillicothe. In politics the Gazette is staunchly Republican; it has always been an earnest
and outspoken advocate of loyalty to the government, of expansion of our territory and of our commerce, and a worker
for the best interests of the people of the city, county, state and nation.
The first number of the Chillicothe Advertiser was issued on June 11, 1831, a copy of which is now on file in the
office. It was a four page paper with six columns to the page, and was owned and edited by John Hough. In 1840
Dr. C. W. Pine was taken into partnership. From that time the paper had various editors and many ups and downs.
Samuel W. Halsey succeeded Hough & Pine. Eshelman & Ballmeyer came next, the latter firm conducting the
paper through the stormy period just before and during the war between the states, after which Mr. Eshelman moved
to Wooster, O., where he purchased the Wayne County Democrat. Mr. Ballmeyer had preceded him to Dayton, where he
was shot during the excitement of the Valandingham campaign. After the war the Advertiser passed into the hands
of Hon. James Emmitt, then a candidate for Congress. Tinder Mr. Einmitt's ownership it was first edited by Sam
Pike and later by Capt. John Putnam, who came to Chillicothe upon retiring from the legislature, where he had represented
Licking county. Mr. Putnam became owner of the paper and soon built it up until it enjoyed more prosperity and
wielded a greater influence than under any previous regime. In 1873 Mr. Putnam leased the Advertiser to become
the private secretary of Gov. William Allen. In his absence the paper was first edited by S. L. Everet and later
by Sam Kilvert and Arch Mayo. Mr. Putnam finally sold the paper to W. R. Brownlee, who was succeeded in 1877 by
John Wiseman. Mr. Wiseman conducted the paper with average success until 1882, when the plant and good will were
sold to Frank Harper and Geo. F. Hunter, both young men from eastern Ohio. During the ownership of Captain Putnam
the Advertiser had gone from bad to worse, and when Harper and Hunter took possession there were less than four
hundred paying subscribers left on the books. From that day, however, the paper began to prosper once more and
the old name of Chillicothe Advertiser again commanded respect. In 1895 Mr. Harper retired to take charge of the
Mt. Vernon Banner, which had been left him on the death of his father. Mr. Hunter, who had then been connected
with the Advertiser longer than any other editor since its founding, continued the business alone, and in December,
1896, added a daily edition. This made three daily papers in the city and after a fierce competition of three vears
a proposition to consolidate, made on behalf of the News - Register Co., was accepted, and in October, 1899, the
Advertiser, daily and weekly, was consolidated with the Daily News, established in 1883, and the Weekly Register,
established in 1879, then owned by C. C. Waddle, doing business as the News - Register Co. The two interests were
consolidated and incorporated in the name of the News - Advertiser company, of which George F. Hunter was president
and C. C. Waddle secretary. In 1900 Mr. Waddle's interest was purchased by Mr. Hunter's brother, W. W. Hunter,
formerly of the Steubenville Gazette, gentleman entleman of considerable ability as an editor and historian. The
consolidation proved to be a wise move, not only for the interests involved, but also for the city. The advertising
patrons were enabled to reach double the number of people for the same cost, while the increased number of subscribers
enabled the management to add every modern facility for getting out a first class, up to date daily, the peer of
any other paper published in Ohio in cities the size of Chillicothe.
Chillicothe Church and Cemetery history was at this point.
The business interests of Chillicothe are varied and extensive. The mercantile houses compare favorably in extent,
variety, and quality of goods with any city of equal size in the State. The volume of business is very large when
the close proximity of rival towns is considered; but this is due to the fact that many of the small dealers in
country towns purchase their supplies in whole or in part from Chillicothe merchants, and the further fact that
country buyers prefer to select their purchases from an extensive stock in the city, rather than to patronize home
dealers, with a limited showing of goods.
The mercantile houses of Chillicothe are generally backed with unlimited resources in comparison to their demands,
and the element of losses from bad accounts is reduced to the minimum, by reason of the stable character of the
buyers. Perhaps no city in the State, of equal size, has a smaller percentage of losses from bad debts. This is
due, in part, to the fact that buyers are permanent residents, usually owning their own homes, though the element
of honesty and business integrity among them is the dominant feature.
The early history of merchandising in Chillicothe is interesting, in that it covers the period of early settlement
and development in every line of human endeavor, far beyond the memory of the oldest inhabitant of today. Few can
fully realize the fact, except through the continual "prompting" of history and the press, that for many
years following the first settlement, all goods displayed for sale were brought across the Allegheny mountains
on pack horses. These semi annual trips of merchants to the eastern markets were fraught with great labor and peril.
No one knew the moment when lurking savages, secreted along the bridle path, might attack the caravan, and murder
the adventurous men who had thus defied them. Bands of lawless white men were often the cause of serious trouble,
as robbers and murderers. The telegraph and telephone were then unknown, and many instances are on record where
loved ones at home never knew of the fate which befell husband or father, except that he never returned. As time
passed, the flat boat and keel boat of ancient days supplemented a part of the labors of the horse, adding little
advantage to the laborious process, except to deprive him of some of its perils. With the opening of the canal,
merchants felt that they were already near the suburbs of New York, yet if they were obliged to procure their goods
through that slow process in this day, they would think the distance greater than the "mountain" route.
Some of the men who endured the perils and labors of the early merchants are mentioned in this article, but it
is not possible to procure the names of all.
One of the earliest merchants was Thomas James, who brought the first keel boat load of bar iron to Chillicothe,
and afterward opened an iron furnace on Rocky Fork, as told elsewhere. John McLandburg and John Carlisle were among
the first general merchants. In 1802 John Carlisle advertised that he kept superfine and coarse cloths, cassimeres,
blankets, camels hair shawls, India lute string, books and stationery, queensware, cutlery, coffee, tea, sugar,
liquors and mill saws, a sufficiently varied assortment. John McCoy, at the same time, briefly announced that he
had "just received an extensive assortment of new goods, which he intends to sell low," while John Sherer
stated that he had "a full quantity of the best Monongahela whiskey and a few barrels of flour." The
better class of residents demanded something more than linsey woolsey and home spun, so John McLandburg advertised
"American calico, cut velvets, merino wools, cashmere scarves, silk velvet bonnets, ostrich plumes and silk
plush." In 1801 there were two butchers in town and five doctors, three of whom were Drs. Scott, Crane and
Buell. Adam Haller, baker, came to town in 1801. It was his wife who presented the town with the land on which
the present city hall is located. George Renick had a general store from 1802 to 1807, and what was probably the
first "corner" in the commercial history of Chillicothe was engineered by his wife, who, hearing of an
approaching boatload of powder, when there was none in town, met the boat, bought the load and "cornered the
market." In 1802 Alexander Hawthorn made nails, at the rate of twelve pence a pound for eight penny nails.
In 1802 Thomas Sherrer sold wines, liquors, candles, cider, dried peaches and apples, and Samuel McPherrin made
wool and fur hats. By 1803 Dr. Edmiston advertised drugs for sale and John Smith repaired watches.
By 1810 the list had grown to respectable dimensions, and the following are the ones who then followed commercial
pursuits: General stores: W. R. Southward, John McDougal, Samuel Taggart, Barr & Keys, Ephraim Doolittle, James
Ferguson, John McCoy, John Waddle, James McClintick, Thomas James, Marcus Highland, Samuel, Joseph and George Brown,
David Kinkead, Isaac Evans, Nathaniel Gregg, William and James Irwin, John Carlisle, John McLandburg, Amaziah Davisson
(who married a daughter of Senator Joseph Kerr). Others are William Robinson and Peter Spurk, silversmiths; J.
L. Tabb, James Robinson, cabinet makers; J. Beard, Scott, John Hunter, tailors; Peter Day, blacksmith, who received
$6.50 for "making handcuffs and putting them on John Cummins and William Friend;" John Martin, T. Cogan,
S. McClure, Adam Haller, bakers; Joseph Miller, Isaac Cook, nail makers; John Sands, Samuel McPherrin, hatters;
James Foster, bookbinder; Samuel Ewing, saddler; J. Miller, Sam McCormick, Diabler, shoemakers; Am asa Delano,
drugs; Nathaniel Reeves, Turner, tanners. In 1820 there were two breweries in town, owned by J. W. Collett and
B. Donahoo. Oliver & Buchanan "kept store" in 1803 and in 1802 J. Gibbons advertised as a "Taylor."
It is impossible to give a full list of the various mercantile enterprises which have flourished in Chillicothe;
and the following list contains only a part of the more prominent firms:
Dry Goods: Reeves & Burbridge, Thomas Gregg, Barr & Campbell, Isaac Evans, T. & S. Swearingen, J. &
S. Culbertson, Capt. William Carson, James McClintick, jr., H. Bennett, William H. Douglas, William Ross, J. &
H. McLandburg, William Miller, Robert Stewart, Joseph Stewart, James P Campbell, Wm. Y. Strong, H. S. Burnam, James
Rowe & Co.; Wilcox, Jennings & Reed, wholesale, succeeded by William H. Daly and Douglas and Shull; Smart
& McFarland, Adams & Kercheval, James Douglas, Hutsenpillar & Co., Thomas Woodrow, jr., C. J. Miller,
Wm. Carson, jr., A. & H. N. Carlisle, Wayland & Vanmeter, Clough & Hopewell, Irvin Barton, Lemle &
Wolf, McNeil & Stinger.
Porkpackers: John & George Wood, M. Bartlett, Wm. Taylor & Co., Cox & Eckert.
Wholesale Grocers: Orr & Atwood, Fullerton & Renick, D. Wesson, P. H. Dieter, William Poland, D. Smart
& Co., M. Boggs. Retail: Peter Huffman, J. C. March, A. & S. Ives, Isaac Cory.
Drugs: Amasa Delano, Ira Delano, Amasa D. Sproat, R. H. Lansing, J. M. VanMeter, J. A. ipgen, Walter H. Howson,
Alston & Davis.
Books and Stationery: Cummins & Foster, Joseph Jones, Hiram Yeo, Clement Pine, Miesse & Chapman, Gould
Tinware, Stoves, &c.: William Jack, William Welch & Co., Henry Howson.
Miscellaneous: D. Adams & Co., of the "Clinton Mills," afterward Mayfield & Luckett; William
McKell, queensware; Swift & McGinnis, hats; Gardner & Schutte, N. Purdum, hardware; E. P. Pratt, John J.
Bangs, C. F. Dufeu, F. H. Hopkins, jewelers; William H. Skerrett, boots and shoes; Denning and Campbell, hardware;
Miller, Patterson & Co., wholesale shoes; Henry Sulzbacher, D. Klein, Epstine & Hecht, clothiers; Ewing
and Pearson, John Peregrine, harness; S. C. Swift & Co., wholesale notions; Armstrong & Story, tanners;
William H. Reed & Co., lumber.
The present business of the city is transacted by five banks, nine dry goods houses, ten drug stores, four wholesale
groceries and fifty three retail establishments. Some of these also handle meats, flour and feed and fuel. There
is one wholesale hardware store, and sir engaged in the retail trade. For the accommodation of the traveling public,
there are eleven hotels, six boarding houses and eight restaurants. There are fifty one saloons.
The boot and shoe industry is an important factor in the business of the city, there being two manufacturing plants,
two firms engaged in the wholesale trade, and nine retail stores. Connected with these, or operating independently
in manufacturing and repairing, are seventeen shoe makers. Three firms are engaged in the manufacture of brooms.
In lumber and building material, including four planing mills, seven business plants cater to the wants of the
public. Six plumbers present their bills at regular intervals. Of photographers there are four, and one dealer
in pictures and frames. There is one pawnbroker, one piano and organ house; one pottery; one spoke manufactory;
one transfer; one wholesale liquor dealer; two telephone companies; two dealers in sporting goods; three veterinary
surgeons; four dealers in stoves and ranges; three tinshops; eight teamsters; three sewing machine agencies (located);
two sign painters; two dealers in second hand goods; four real estate offices; five book and job printing establishments,
exclusive of newspaper publisher; one organ manufacturer; seven house painters; one osteopathic doctor; five dealers
in notions; two machine shops; one dealer in mantels and grates; four firms engaged in marble and granite and monumental
work; six regular meat markets; four men's furnishing establishments and seventeen merchant tailors. Four laundries
supply the needs in their department, while six jewelers attend to the work of adornment. Cast off articles are
gathered in by two junk dealers, and two justices of the peace adjust the differences. One lounge manufactory.
is seconded in its efforts to enhance the public comfort, by eight coal dealers, and two gas companies There are
two grain companies, ten gardeners, and eight furniture dealers, including two manufactories. There are thirteen
blacksmiths, and two exclusive shoeing shops. The manufacture of wagons is carried on extensively by one firm,
and to a limited extent by another. There are three dealers in agricultural implements, besides others who combine
that with other lines of business. There are two book and stationery establishments. Nineteen barber shops, representing
about fifty workmen, attend strictly to their business of scraping acquaintances. The city has but one architect
who is a permanent resident. Bicycles are sold by three firms as exclusive dealers, while many others handle supplies
and attend to repairing. There are two breweries in the city, both of which have existed for many years. There
is a building and loan association, and a business college; also an extensive brick manufacturing plant in the
Four firms give attention to the manufacture and sale of carriages. Four firms of undertakers are found in the
city; there is one wholesale confectionery establishment and eleven retail dealers. Of contractors, in the various
lines of mechanical work, there are nineteen. There is one cooper and one desk manufacturer.
The social spirit of Chillicothe is revealed in the following list of secret and benevolent societies: Masonic:
Scioto Lodge No. 6, F. & A. M.; Chillicothe Chapter No. 4, R. A. M.; Chillicothe Commandery No. 8, Knights
Templar; Ionic Lodge No. 6, F. & A. M. (colored); St. Elizabeth Chapter O. E. S. (colored); Lansing Chapter
No. 11, R. A. M. (colored); Persian Commandery No. 11, K. T. (colored). Independent Order of Odd Fellows: Chillicothe
Lodge No. 24; Tecumseh Lodge No. 80, Valley Encampment No. 21 and Daughter of Rebecca organization, auxiliary to
these. The colored people also have a Lodge of Odd Fellows. Lodge No. 52, B. P. O. E. is of comparatively recent
organization. The Grand Army of the Republic have two organizations, viz.: A. L. Brown Post No. 162, and W. L.
Wright Post No. 588. Auxiliary to these are Woman's Relief Corps No. 83, and W. L. Wright Relief Corps No. 204.
The Sons of Veterans have an organization known as A. L. Brown Camp No. 7. There are Lodges of the Ancient Order
of Hibernians, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Brotherhood of St. Andrew, Knights of St. George, Improved Order
of Red Men and Degree of Pocahontas, Woman's Auxiliary Red Men, Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order, Knights and
Ladies of Honor, Knights of Pythias (Soreno Lodge No. 28), Loyal Legion of Labor, Mechanics and Laborers Beneficial
Association, Modern Woodmen of America (Camp No. 4111), Independent Order of Foresters, Protected Home Circle No.
148, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen,
Order of Railway Conductors, Royal Arcanum. Of the purely social religious or political organizations may be mentioned
the Buckeye Club, Columbus Club, Century Club, East End Pastime Club, The Girls' Friendly connected with St. Paul's
church; St. Catherine's Guild, and Woman's Auxiliary connected with St. Paul's, St. Ignatius Benevolent Society
in connection with St. Peter's School, and the Sunset Club. It would be interesting to trace the history of these
various organizations, particularly the more important ones, but lack of space forbids the attempt.
Three musical societies exist for public entertainment and the local advancement of their art. These are designated
as the Euterpean Club, the Eintracht Singing Society and St. Peter's Singing Society, the latter in connection
with the church and school which it represents. The two first named are prominent features in society, and sources
of much pleasure and entertainment
Continued in Chillicote Church and Cemetery Hisroty.