This was one of the original townships of Ross county, and prior to the organization of Pickaway county included
all the Indian towns on Scippo and Congo creeks. The township had a nominal existence under the territorial government,
but its boundaries were not clearly defined. In April, 1803, the new State legislature passed an act authorizing
the associate judges of the different counties to meet on the second Tuesday of May (10th), 1803, and establish
the boundaries of the townships in their respective counties. Under authority of this law, Reuben Abrams, William
Patton, and Felix Renick, associate justices of Ross county, established the first definite boundaries of Green
township; but these have since been materially changed, and the territory reduced in extent, by the organization
of other townships. The original boundaries were as follows: "Beginning on the Scioto, at the southwest corner
of Pickaway township; thence east with the southern boundary of Pickaway township and Fairfield county, to the
eastern boundary of Ross county; thence south with the same to the southeast corner of section number twelve, in
township number ten, of range number eighteen; thence west to the northeast corner of section number fourteen,
in township number eight, of range twenty one; thence south two miles, to the southeast corner of section number
twenty three, in the township last mentioned; thence west to the Scioto river; thence with the same, to the beginning."
The judges ordered an election to be held at the house of John Crouse on the 21st of June, 1803, for the election
of three justices of the peace who should each serve for three years. The earliest records procurable show the
election of John Ramsey, as justice, on April 11, 1809; Isaac Claypool, April 15, 1810, and George Ramsey on April
6, 1812. On June 25, 1805, a two mile strip across the northern boundary of Green township was set into Pickaway
township. The establishment of Colerain township in 1804, narrowed the limits in that direction, and a little later
Springfield township was established on the south, thus fixing the boundaries as at present.
The surface of the township is gently undulating in the northern and central parts and somewhat broken and hilly
in the southeastern section. The soil is very fertile black loam in the level districts on the bottoms and streams,
and a rich clay soil with gravel subsoil on the hillsides and elevated portions. There is comparatively little
waste land in the township, and the condition of the farms, buildings and surroundings are indicative of thrift
and prosperity. The streams which drain the township are the Kinnickinnick and its tributaries, with numerous hillside
runs which empty into them, and Blackwater creek in the northwestern part of the township. The Scioto forms the
Green township was mainly covered with heavy timber, though there was, originally, considerable marshy land upon
which there was only shrubs and brush. But the wet lands have been recovered by ditching and under tiling, until
they are very valuable and highly productive. It is said that this boggy land originally seemed like earth floating
on water, and that in the early days, a pole could be forced into it to the depth of twenty feet.
The principal varieties of timber were black walnut, sugar maple, black locust, chestnut, elm, ash, oak, beech,
hickory, and honey locust. Some of the choicest timber was used for buildings, making rails, and sawing into lumber,
but much of it which would now be very valuable was burned in clearing the land.
Among the first to establish a home in the original bounds of Green township were the Boggs family. Major John
Boggs, the first., was born in Pennsylvania in 1738, married Jane Irwin and lived on the frontier, near Wheeling,
W. Va.; came to Ohio and located in Green township. He died in 1828. His son, Major John Boggs, the second, was
born near Wheeling, in 1775; came to Ohio with his father, married Sarah McMeehan in 1800, and reared eight children.
His wife died in 1855, and he followed her in 1869. One of his brothers was captured by Indians; another was killed
by them near Cambridge, O. The senior John Bogg in 1788, according to his monument, or in 1798 according to the
"Pioneer Record," erected his cabin near the historic elm tree where Lord Dunmore treated with the Indians
in 1774, and on th e identical spot where the Boggs monument now stands, having selected his lands at the foot
of the Pickaway plains. John Boggs, Jr., among the first to volunteer his services in the war of 1812, enlisted
as a private in Col. James Denny's regiment, on the 20th of April of that year. Though a major of militia for some
years previous to this, he ignored military title, but subsequently won promotion through valiant service. Duncan
McArthur, a major general of militia, also asserted his determination to enlist and carry a firelock in the ranks,
if there was no other place for him But he subsequently became lieutenant colonel of the regiment. Major Boggs
was in Hull's surrender, and returned home from Detroit. He was an active and useful man in the community, whose
energy and good judgment did much towards establishing commercial intercourse with the outside world. As early
as 1803, he demonstrated the possibility of conveying the surplus products of the Scioto valley to the cities of
the south, by taking a flat boat loaded with flour to New Orleans. His farm, which is located wholly within what
is now Pickaway county, was entered in 1796, and around it centers much of the early Indian history. The aboriginal
towns of Squaw Town, Cornstalk Town and Black Mount were located on it, as well as the famous Logan Elm. The territory
is dotted with many Indian mounds, or relics of the Mound Builders. On the death of Major Boggs, his farm descended
to his son John, who took special interest in the preservation of these old relics; and, for the protection of
the old elm, erected a circular fence around it, which also encloses the Boggs monument, which was erected there
at the expense of the Boggs family. A bronze plate, typifying a historical event which occurred on the farm, was
wholly the work of John's benevolence and reverential interest. This is a landscape scene, in bas relief, illustrative
of the cunning trick of the Indians, in which they threw down the rail fence surrounding the Boggs wheatfield,
evidently hoping to kill or capture some of the members of the family when they came out in the morning to drive
the stock out of the field. William Boggs was delegated to perform this duty, no one having any suspicion that
it was an Indian trick. The plate shows him running across the field to escape from the Indians, his father standing
at the house was his gun leveled at the red skins, who are in pursuit of William. (He was captured and a prisoner
for some time.) It is stated that this plate cost $2,800. It is inserted in the Boggs monument, the dimensions
being two feet six inches by fourteen inches. Numerous families in Ross county, as well as elsewhere throughout
the State, trace their genealogy to Maj. John Boggs. His descendants are prominent and highly cultured people,
who have long been identified with the social, political and business affairs of the county.
William McCoy came from Pennsylvania to Green township about 1795. Soon after his arrival, he built the first mill,
which was located on Kinnickinnick creek, in section ten. This he sold to John Crouse, who established a large
and lucrative business in milling. On disposing of his mill, Mr. McCoy moved to the site of the old Mount Pleasant
church, a mile west of Kingston, where he improved a farm, and assisted in organizing the first church in the township.
He died on this farm in 1823. Of his family of eight children, all have died or have removed from the township,
and the old McCoy homestead has passed into other hands.
John Entrekin came from Adams county, Pa., in April, 1797. He was a progressive and active business man, who accumulated
considerable property in buying and selling land, in transferring the products of the mills and farms to the markets,
and in returning goods for the merchants. He married, in 1801, Nancy Crouse, who inherited a section of land from
her father, this being the south half of sections seven and ten. They settled on the latter section, and established
a home. During the war of 1812, Mr. Entrekin held the position of wagon master, and was employed in conveying army
supplies from Chillicothe to Lower Sandusky. He attained the rank of colonel of militia, and was active and prominent
in politics, serving as representative in the legislature, and associate judge in the court of common pleas. Colonel
Entrekin died at the age of sixty four on May 10, 1842, as the result of a surgical operation performed at Cincinnati.
He left a family of four sons and five daughters to perpetuate the memory of a most worthy and influential pioneer
of Ross county.
John Crouse was a native of Frederick county, Md., and settled in Green township in 1798, purchasing the small
flouring mill built by William McCoy, as previously intimated. He was prosperous as a miller and, with the addition
of a distillery, increased his business very materially. The product of the latter was sold at a very large profit
during the war of 1812. A bushel of corn, costing from six to ten cents, would make four gallons of whiskey, which
readily sold at one dollar per gallon. Mr. Crouse married _Miss Umstead, in his native state, and they became the
parents of four sons and four daughters, the survivors of whom reside, mostly, in Ross county. He died at Kingston,
September 5, 1847, at the age of eighty eight. His youngest child, Eliza, married William Ferguson. Another daughter
married Col. John Entrekin, while others were wedded to other prominent citizens of the county. John, Jr., succeeded
to his father's business, and retained the old homestead, upon which he died in August, 1859. But see sketch of
The Reedy family were early settlers of the township, locating on the east branch of Kinnickinnick creek, where
they entered land, an spent the balance of their lives. The names of Abraham, Michael, Conrad, John, Margaret and
Sally, are recollected, though there were others. Some of their descendants still live in the county.
John Goodman and wife, with a family of six children, came from Berks county, and settled in Green township, in
1799. Three chili dren were born at the new home. They entered a quarter section on the banks of the Scioto, in
section five. The father built a sawmill on Blackwater creek, which he operated for a number of years. All the
children are dead, but some of their descendants still reside in the township.
Samuel Whitsel removed from Morris Grove, Va., to Green township about 1800. Two or three years later, he married
Ruth Crouse, being employed at the mill and distillery of his father in law, John Crouse, up to the time of his
marriage, but subsequently engaged in farming. He owned over four hundred acres of land about midway between the
Scioto and Kingston, upon which he ended his days. Mr. Whitsel served a short term of enlistment under Col. John
Entrekin, during the war of 1812.
The Frederick family was also prominent in the early history of the township. The parents were middle aged people
when they brought a family of four sons and two daughters from Pennsylvania, and settled in Green township, in
1799. The sons were named Peter, Daniel, Henry and Solomon. The father entered a section of land on the Kinnickinnick,
about three miles east of the present railroad station bearing that name. This farm comprised much rich bottom
land, while the upland was covered with fine walnut and hickory timber. On the death of the parents, the land was
divided among the children, and some of them spent their lives upon the old farm. Solomon was a musician in the
war of 1812, and never returned from the army. Peter was a lieutenant in the same organization, and was taken prisoner
at the surrender of General Hull. He was afterwards exchanged, and returned to his farm, and later removed to Kingston,
where he died in 1853. Henry was captain of the company in which Peter was lieutenant. Their service was mostly
in the fortifications at Detroit, where they were made prisoners, Henry being severely wounded at the time. He
recovered, returned to the farm, and in his old age, removed to Illinois, where he died.
James May came from Fredericksburg, Va., about 1798, bringing his family, consisting of wife and six children.
He was a gunsmith by trade, and followed this vocation in his native state, manufacturing guns and other arms for
the patriot army during the Revolution. He continued this business in Chillicothe until about 1822, when he located
on a farm near Kingston, and died there in 1836, his wife having died in Chillicothe in 1816. His sons were John,
James and Henry. The last named was a soldier in the war of 1812, being a member of Captain Brush's company from
Chillicothe. Henry May married in Chillicothe. and for a number of years kept a tavern on the old stage road a
mile and a half north of the city. About 1822, he bought a farm just over the line in Pickaway county, and lived
for some years in Kinston, where some of his descendants still live. In the last named place he was associated
in the tannery business with John Larkins.
The Biter family is another of those prominently identified with the history of Green township. William, John,
Conrad and Jacob, with several sisters, located in the township soon after 1800, and established homes southeast
of Kingston. They married there, and raised families, and some of their descendants still live in the township.
Jacob Bitzer served as a soldier through the war of 1812. He married Barbara Metzger, by whom he had a family of
seven children. Their old home was located in section twenty four.
Abraham Miller settled on section twenty six, in Green township, in 1803. He came to Ross county with a colony
of twelve, and located near Chillicothe station, in 1800. There he raised a crop of grain; then returned in the
fall of that year to his old Kentucky home, and brought his family and goods on pack horses. His children were
Jesse, William, John, James, Abraham, Elizabeth, Annie and Sarah. Two of these died during the family residence
at Chillicothe station, and the others lived to years of maturity, inheriting the parental farm in Green township.
Numerous descendants of this family reside in Ross county at the present time. Abraham Miller, Sr., was an early
justice of the peace in Green township, and prominently identified with social and political affairs.
The Hayes family settled in the northeast corner of section thirty four, previous to 1800. The father of this family,
whose christian name is not recalled, lived but a few years after coming to the township, and his land was divided
among his three sons, James, Andrew and John. The last named was a colonel in the war of 1812, and died in Kingston,
September 4, 1834. James and Andrew erected a distillery on the farm, and engaged in the liquor trade for several
years. They finally gave their attention to transporting flour, pork, and other products, to the southern markets,
and transferred their home to the South.
Hugh Little settled in Green township between 1800 and 1802, purchasing eighty acres in section twenty eight. In
1817, he sold this, and bought a larger farm in the southeast corner of the same section, and there ended his days.
He was a native of Maryland, but emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio. Mr. Little died in 1825, leaving four children,
two of whom remained in Green township, viz.: Mrs. John Haynes and James Little, the latter succeeding to the ownership
of the old homestead.
John Beattie, a native of Ireland, settled in section eight about the same time the Littles came. He died there
in 1825, after a quarter of a century of hard work in redeeming the land from its virgin state. Having no children,
his farm passed into other hands. Christopher Leby was a very early settler in the southwestern corner of the township.
He cleared and improved a farm, which, on his death, passed into the hands of his descendants, some of whom still
own it. This is also true of the Robert Warren farm located near that of Leby.
James Downs and his four brothers, John, William, David and Thomas, and two sisters, Rebecca and Susanna, came
to Ross county soon after 1800. James lived for a time on McClain's Hill. near Chillicothe. While there, he married
Annie Snodgrass, and soon thereafter bought a farm in the southern part of Green township, on the old Chillicothe
road. The land was purchased of Gov. Thomas Worthington, who had permitted squatters to settle on it, and they
had made some small improvements. The brothers rand sisters married and located, mostly, in Springfield township,
where they have become a numerous family, well and favorably known throughout the county.
Samuel Little, the Barnhart family, Thomas Wheeler, and the Pyle family were all early settlers, Little coming
in 1800. They settled en section thirty five, where some of them ended their days, and transmitted their property
to their descendants. George Sidenbender established a home in the southeast corner of section thirty three, and
spent the remainder of his life there. "Very early' is the nearest date as to his coming. John and Henry Arno
located in the township about 1810, but sold out and removed to other parts: Samuel Arrowsmith was an early settler,
remaining until 1340, when he sold out and went west. John Ritter was another early settler who died on his farm
at a ripe old age His son Richard succeeded to the farm, and also died there.
John Markel located on fractional section one, which lies adjacent to the Scioto river, about 1800. He owned most
of the section, upon which he erected a double log cabin, an improvement largely in advance of his surroundings,
and which occasioned no little comment among those who occupied but a single room. As prosperity smiled upon him,
this cabin was superseded by a more pretentious residence, and one "wing" of the double cabin did duty
as a school house in later years.
Isaac Brink established a home. in the township about 1800, and remained there during the balance of his life.
His grandson, John Q. Brink, disposed of the old farm in 1868, and removed to Missouri. George May emigrated from
Pennsylvania to Green township in 1801. He purchased four hundred acres of land in sections twenty one and twenty
two, on the Adelphi pike. His children, on attaining years of maturity, married and removed from the locality.
Thomas Wright was another early settler of Green township. He was born in the north of Ireland, and emigrated to
Pennsylvania in 1801, locating near the now historic town of Gettysburg. In 1808, in company with his bride, whom
he married in Gettysburg, and whose maiden name was Elizabeth Hall, he came on horseback to Ross county, and lived,
for a time, near Crouse's Mills. Mr. Wright owned several small farms in the township at different times, but finally
bought three hundred acres in the west half of section four, where he died June 17, 1851. He was a weaver of linen,
and as such his presence in the community in the early days was greatly appreciated. He was also a great reader
and student, a characteristic which he transmitted to some of his children, notably his daughter Jane, who had
a wonderful memory, and even in old age could recite with accuracy and great pleasure poems which she had committed
Abraham Jones was a native of Hampshire county, Va., and settled in Green township in 1802. On arrival, he entered
section five, which was then occupied by a squatter who had made a small improvement, and built a cabin. Mr. Jones
improved five hundred acres of this original farm, and lived upon it until his death.
James Ritchie came from Pennsylvania in 1805, and bought section four, upon which he located, and lived for many
years, and died in Kingston. His brothers, George, William and Matthew, came at the same time with James, and all
located in Green township. William kept a tavern two miles south of Kingston, and George was in the same business
on the old Chillicothe road, some three miles from Kingston. Some of the brothers became quite wealthy, and owned
Major Lingrell came in 1805, and located two and a half miles west. of Kingston, near the south line of Pickavay
county. He afterwards moved to Marion county, where he died. His son, Thomas, a young man in 1805, served fifteen
months in the war of 1812, participating in the battles of Fort Erie and Black Rock, near Buffalo. During his lifetime,
Thomas made six trips from the upper Scioto to New Orleans, conveying flour, pork, and grains to the southern market
on flatboats. He married in 1834, and settled in Green township, where he lived for many years. For more than thirty
years, he lived in the village of Kingston, and during his productive life, followed brick making and building.
He lived to advanced old age. Matthew Ferguson, a Pennsylvania soldier of the Revolution, bought land in Paxton
township in 1802, and came with his wife, Ann Chesnut, and eight children, and settled in Green township, near
Kingston, in 1806. The family is one of the most prominent among the pioneers of Ross county.
Harmon DeHaven, who located in Green township in 1805, was one of the most useful of the early settlers, being
the first cabinet maker to follow the calling in the township. He was a very ingenius mechanic, and just before
his death, had perfected a. model fanning mill. But Mr. DeHaven died in 1820, leaving a wife and six children.
The eldest of these, twin daughters, were but sixteen years old. The eldest. sons, Charles and Jacob, then mere
lads, assumed control of the farm, and successfully operated it until 1840, when they sold out. Jacob removed to
Illinois, and Charles located in Kingston. He married Jane Black. The mother died in 1863, at the age of eighty
one. Accompanying the DeHavens in the same wagon, was the family of Daniel Walters, consisting of six persons,
bringing their all from the faraway Pennsylvania home. Mr. Walters was a shoemaker, another useful accessory to
the pioneer settlement. He established a home on one hundred acres of land adjoining the Harmons, and there worked
on the bench, while others of the family improved and tilled the farm. He sold out and removed his family to the
north part of the State. Jacob Steely was a pioneer Dunkard preacher, coming in 1807. He owned a farm in the township,
which h° sold, and moved to other parts. Jacob Kessler was a resident of the township in 1807, owning a farm
near Kingston, which he afterwards sold, and removed to anther
Daniel Baum was a resident of the township in 1807; and John and Joseph Stroup came into the township the same
year. Joseph was a bricklayer, and the first one of that trade to locate in the township. Ezekiel Bunn and family
came as early as 1806, and located a home in the township, but all have gone. Samuel Wallace located in Green township
in 1818, but he became a resident of the county in 1807, locating first at Chillicothe, where he married Sarah
Ostrander. He, in company with John Wilson, owned and operated a tan yard in Green township for several years.
Frederick Pontius and family came from Buffalo valley, Pa., and settled on section eleven about 1806. There he
ended his days. He had twelve children, most of whom married, raised families and died in Green township. Many
descendants of this pioneer still reside in the township and nearby territory. Andrew Pontius was another early
comer, who settled on Paint creek, ahout 1805, and later moved into Green township where he died. His descendants
have all removed from the township.
Isaac Green and wife came from Pennsylvania in 1808, and after several years spent as a tenant of Governor Worthington,
he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in section five, on the Scioto, and there made a home where he ended his
days. A family of eight children was horn to him after locating in the township, some of whom remained here during
life, and others removed to distant states.
Michael Senff located first in Pickawav county, removing from there to Chillicothe, where he worked at blacksmithing
for several years. He then settled in Green township, where he passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1845.
The family came from Pennsylvania in 1808, and has been prominently identified with the county since. Of fourteen
children born to Michael Senff, ten lived to years of maturity, and six reached an advanced old age. Numerous descendants
of this worthy pioneer still reside in Green and Springfield townships. John Holman settled at Adelphi about 1808,
where he spent a number of years in the tannery business, having previously lived a short time in Green township.
About 1814 he returned to the Abraham Eyestone farm in Green township, his wife, who was Christine Eyestone, having
inherited a portion of her parental farm. Holman was there established in the tannery business by his father in
law, a trade which he followed successfully for many years. Abraham Holman, son of John, succeeded to the business
in later years.
David Umsted came from Frederick county, Md., in 1810, and settled with his wife and three children, in the southwest
part of Green township, where he died about 1840. His widow survived him until October, 1875, and was nearly ninety
one years of age at the time of her death. Their children were named Basil, Rachel and John. The latter died unmarried.
Basil married Julia Hughes, and occupied the parental homestead until his death, in 1851. They had six children.
Rachel became the wife of George J. Moore, and removed to her farm in Twin township, in 1833.
Dr. Edward Ostrander came from Troy, New York, about 1813, and settled on a farm near Mount Pleasant church. He
was the first physician in the township, and continued in active practice during the remainder of his life. He
died at Kingston in May, 1835.
Jacob Long came to Green township about 1816. He located near Kingston where he built a still house which he operated
for several years. Some of his descendants still live in the community.
Green township enjoys the distinction of being one of the best agricultural townships in Ross county. Its soil
is specially adapted to diversified farming and fruit growing, in which pursuits, combined with stock raising,
the intelligent and industrious farmers have met with phenomenal success. The pleasant homes and thrifty surroundings
are abundant proof of this, while an occasional handsome mansion, with modern improvements and appliances, affirms
the conclusion that even in this favored land, some have been more successful than their worthy rivals.
The town of Kingston is the only village in the township It enjoys the distinction of being the third town, as
regards population, in Ross county. For a number of years prior to the establishment of the town, the contiguous
territory, and even the town site, contained a number of settlers. The land upon which Kingston is located was
originally owned by James Ritchie, who occupied it in 1805. Soon after that date, Thomas Ins came into possession
of a forty acre tract upon which the village of "Ingstown" was located, and in 1816 the town was regularly
laid out and christened Kingston. Mr. Ing kept the first tavern in the place, and was also the first tailor in
the town. In the days of stage coaches, Kingston being located on the main thoroughfare between Lancaster and Chillicothe,
a second tavern was established, one for the special accommodation of the traveling public; and this old stage
house entertained many distinguished guests, among whom were Henry Clay, Richard M. Johnson, Felix Grundy, John
H. Crittenden, Thomas Marshall and ex President Santa Anna of Mexico. President Monroe, and a party accompanying,
also put up for dinner at one of these humble taverns. This being the reguliar line of travel from the southwest
and west, to the Federal city, many of the distinguished men of the day passed through Kingston.
George Brown, an Englishman of Pickaway county, licensed to vend merchandise in Jefferson, Circleville and other
places, bought a lot of Thomas Ing in 1817; put up a little store building, and obtained a. temporary license to
sell at Kingston. Ing got out his license to keep tavern in November, 1817, and about the same time James McCutcheon,
of Pickawav, bought a lot, and in 1818 he was licensed to trade. In April, 1819, Matthew Ferguson, who had bought
a lot in 1816, got out a license for his son William and daughter Rachel, as merchants. Brown maintained his other
stores, and probably did not have a permanent establishment at Kingston until the summer of 1819. In the fall of
that year he sold out his Kingston store to Thomas K. Duncan and Samuel Logan. William Ferguson continued in business
One of the religious landmarks of the community is represented Eby the Presbyterian church now located in the town
of Kingston, but originally established a mile west of the village, in 1798, and known as Mount Pleasant Presbyterian
church. The society was formed in August, 1798, and before corn cutting the members erected a rough log building,
thirty feet square, which they used as a house of worship, though it was devoid of floor or ceiling. The sleepers
served for seats, and a rude pulpit was formed of split logs. Fourteen members constituted the organizing force,
the names being as follows: William McCoy and wife; James Wilson, his son John, and three unmarried daughters;
William Craig and wife; William Blair and wife; Samuel Denny and wife, and Margaret Denny, wife of David. Mr. McCoy
and Mr. Wilson were constituted the ruling elders, and Rev. William Spear was engaged as pastor. One third of his
time was required, and a salary of one hundred dollars per year was guaranteed him. Thus six families organized
a church, erected a house of worship, and installed a pastor, during their first six months' residence in the community.
From that day to the present, the organization has been maintained, and at least four generations of people have
been communicants around the same altar.
As the years passed, other families of like faith located in the neighborhood, and added their names and influence
to the church directory. In 1799, John Rollins, John McLene, Hugh Manary, and James Stewart, with their families,
joined the church, as did also Mrs. Isabella Denny, wife of James, and Mrs. Mary Boggs, the wife of John. Matthew
Ferguson and wife. joined in 1806. Rev. James Robinson became pastor in 1808. Col. John Entrekin located in the
vicinity, in 1798, but did not then connect himself with the church, though he did later. The old meeting house
was never finished, and the services were transferred, some years later, to a near by school house, though the
meetings were often held in the grove, or in private houses.
The meeting house erected in 1793 was succeeded by the old Mount Pleasant church, commenced in 1810, and finished
in 1814. This served the congregation until 1829, when they occupied the Methodist Episcopal church in Kingston,
continuing this joint occupancy until 1838, when they completed a house of their own. The present Presbyterian
church in Kingston was erected in 1860. From its earliest inception, this congregation began to assume a position
of prominence in the community. Under the pastorate of Rev. James Robinson, one hundred and thirty five members
were added previous to the year 1820, when he retired from the pastorate. The church celebrated its semi centennial
in 1848, with becoming ceremonies. About that time, and as a result of that effort, the Kingston or Mount Pleasant
Academy came into existence, and this was continued successfully, as an institution of higher learning, under the
fostering care of the church for many years. In 1898, the centennial of the church was celebrated, when Rev. George
Carpenter, a pastor of the church from 1853 until 1867, and principal of the academy for a number of years, gave
a history of both the church and school, covering the entire period of their existence. This was an address of
much historic interest, since it covers the entire religious history of Green township, within the limits of this
church. It shows, also, the growth and progress from a pioneer organization in the trackless wilderness, to one
of the strongest and most successful religious institutions in the county; and that the spiritual status of mankind
has kept pace with the onward march of civilization in the secular affairs of life. Rev. Carpenter is still a resident
of Ross countv, though retired from literary labors.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Kingston was the outgrowth of later effort than the Presbyterian, though religious
services of that denomination were held in the town at a very early date, probably about 1800; and, though a class
was organized, and preaching and other services held in private houses, no church building was erected until 1829.
In that year, however, the old brick church was dedicated, and, with a true spirit of christian tolerance, was
thrown open to all worshipping congregations. A few years later, the Methodists, through the efforts and influence
of John Crouse, and others, secured entire control of the building, and a prosperous career was entered upon which
has continued to the present. The small brick church was superseded by a frame structure more in keeping with the
needs of the congregation. But this in turn gave place to a handsome brick structure erected in 1894. The earliest
members of this church were John Crouse and wife, T. Parker and wife, Miss Sewell, Mrs. Ford, the Rock family,
Mr. Reat and wife, as well as many whose names cannot be given. It has had a successful career as one of the principal
churches in the township.
Bethel Methodist Episcopal church was organized in 1804, by Rev. James Quinn. He was transferred, bv request, from
the Baltimore conference, and voluntarily took up the life of an itinerant in the backwoods. A preaching appointment
was established in the southeastern part of the township, which accommodated people from adjacent territory in
other townships, east and south. Meetings were held for some years in a log cabin on the Arrowsmith farm, also
in a schoolhouse, later established. Finally a hewed log house was erected for church purposes, and this served
the people until 1827, when a brick church was erected, which was superseded by a neat frame church, in 1871. The
society grew in interest and spiritual strength, and numbered among its members, representatives of nearly all
the pioneer families in that locality Among these were the Delays, Crouches, Annos, Arrowsmiths, Bitters, Littles,
Browns, Beatties, Bunns, Senffs and others.
In connection with the church, a burying ground was established in a very early day, and in this repose the remains
of most of the early members, as well as a liberal representation of their posterity. The organization is still
maintained, and the church is remembered with feelings of reverence as one of the pioneer landmarks indicating
Crouse's chapel, another representative of the Methodist faith, is located in the eastern part of the township,
and was first known as Lakin's chapel. Rev. Benjamin Lakin was one of the earliest pioneers of the township, coming
in 1802. To his zeal and energy was due the organization of this church, about 1807. It prospered as a pioneer
beacon light in the wilderness, and bore the name of its founder until a new church became a necessity. Largely
through the instrumentality of Mr. John Crouse, a zealous and active Methodist and early pioneer, the present fine
brick chapel was erected, and, in deference to one of the most influential members of the church in the county,
it was named Crouse's chapel. This honor is about equally divided between John Crouse and his brother David, who
was also a worthy and zealous Methodist. Both these brothers served in the Ohio legislature, and were prominent
and wealthy citizens of the township.
The educational interests of Kingston have ever been a paramount consideration; and no town of its size in the
State has a better system of public schools, or more appreciative and helpful patrons.
Of the social orders, the Odd Fellows are the pioneers. Pearson lodge, No. 372, was organized July 14, 1864 The
charter members were A. Reedy, W. H. Patrick, O. P. Goodman, I. N. Asbury, H. L. Myers, J. C. Allen, and J. W.
Allen. The first elective officers were O. P. Goodman, N. G.; A. Reedy. V. G.; William Patrick, treasurer, and
J. C. Allen, secretary. The lodge is in a prosperous condition financially, having sufficient funds to meet all
obligations in a beneficial way, and also own their lodge building and extensive paraphernalia.
Ruth lodge, No. 108, Daughters of Rebecca, was instituted June 17, 1878; charter members: A. L. Ellis, Hattie M.
Ellis, W. L. Zimmerman, Simon Holderman, Joseph Smith, Mary E. Smith, Albert Raub, Emma Raub, J. Rana, Margaret
Ranck, D. W. Leasure, Laura Leasure, C. W. Myers, Hattie M. Myers, U. Kitzmiller, A. M. Lamaster, M. J. Lamaster,
David Bell, George B. Leasure, D. D. Whitsel and A. C. Whistle. The charter list represented many of the most prominent
ladies and gentlemen of the town and surrounding country, and the organization at once entered upon a successful
Scioto grange, No. 160, Patrons of Husbandry, is another society of both sexes, which has had a career of prominence,
usefulness and popularity. It was organized under a dispensation granted October 8, 1873, with the following named
charter members: O. P. Goodman, J. D. Mundell, Simon Orr, David Crouse, Nelson Long, Edward Wright, Joseph Wright,
Nelson Kellenbarger, William Dreisbach, J. M. May, M. A. Mundell, Belle Kellenbarger, Lizzie Kellenbarger, L. R.
Wright, Dorcas Goodman, Hannah Orr, and Mrs. J. M. May. The society has survived the period of depression and waning
interest in grange matters, and maintained its early prominence as a social organization from the first to the
present. Prominent farmers' families in the vicinity of Kingston have been very generally represented on the membership
roll, and the society is in a flourishing condition at present.
Last, but not least, in the consideration of social and benevolent societies in Kingston is Maxwell post, No. 176,
Grand Army of the Republic. As is well known, every honorably discharged Union soldier of the civil war is eligible
to membership in this fraternal organization; and very few of the survivors of that great struggle deny themselves
the benefits and social privileges, unless prevented by religious scruples or enfeebled health. But the lapse of
thirty seven years since the close of the war, and more than forty years since the beginning, has devastated the
ranks of that once proud and unconquerable army, and left the remnant in the "sere and yellow leaf" of
declining years. But with the thinning ranks, as one falls here and another there, the "boys" of 1861
proudly and reverently "close tip to the right," maintaining and ever cherishing a kindly regard for
their late comrades in arms, and their dependent widows and orphans. This is the dominant feature of the Grand
Army of the Republic, and right royally do the survivors and their devoted wives, sons, and daughters fulfill the
mission. This is the only fraternal organization with a "time limit" as to its existence. In the very
nature of things, it must soon become only a memory. Maxwell post musters within its ranks a large majority of
the survivors of the war now residing in Green township, and its "camp fires" and social gatherings are
a source of pleasure to old and young. Auxiliary to its beneficial and social features, the ladies of the Woman's
Relief Corps perform an important part, as necessity demands.
In the town of Kingston the various business and mechanical industries are carried on, and the handsome little
village bustles with busy life. The only monetary institution is the Scioto Valley bank. In 1883, a number of prominent
local capitalists effected the organization of this popular concern, which has steadily grown in public favor.
The capitalization was thirty thousand dollars, though the institution is backed, through individual responsibility,
with many times that amount. The original officers have remained in control from the incorporation to the present.
These are J. M. May, president; Nelson Long, vice president, and Nolan L Gartner, cashier. The institution transacts
a general banking business, and gives special attention to collections and buying bankable paper.
Besides the general representation of all phases of mercantile life, there are also quite extensive mechanical
interests, of which the wagon factory is the most prominent. The town affords an excellent market in the grain,
lumber and stock interests. There is but one hotel and livery in the town, these being operated by Mrs. J. J. Waite