T. 3, N. R. 13 E.
THIS township was organized on the 4th day of December, 1832. The first election of township officers took place
on the 3d day of April, 1833, at the house of Abraham Rinebolt. Christian Foster, John Stombaugh and Michael Stahl
were elected trustees; Henry Hoffman and Abraham Rinebolt, supervisors; Samuel Rinebolt, Andrew Ferrier and Daniel
Swope, overseers of the poor; Enoch Trumbo, clerk; Jonas Hampshire and Jacob Hollinger, fence viewers.
In 1840 the population was 586; in 1870 in had increased to 1,131 in 1880 it is 1,394.
Henry Hoffman, in 1827, moved from Perry county, Ohio, and located on the southeast quarter of section thirty six,
the first settler in the township, and his brother in law, Abraham Rinebolt, came from the same county in 1828,
and located near him.
Enoch Trumbo is the only old settler living. We came in 1833, and located on section twenty two, where he still
resides. He was once county commissioner, and is highly respected for his good sense and honesty.
Jonas Hampshire located on the northwest quarter of section twenty two in 1833. He usea to take a very active part
in public affairs, and was a leader in the Democratic ranks. He was a successful farmer. and has accumulated a
handsome fortune. He lives in Wood county now.
Michael Stahl came in 1832, and also located on section twenty two. Daniel Swope came in 1833, also settled on
section twenty one, and is still there, also one of the oldest settlers living. George Stahl came in 1834. James
Robertson, the Hollopeters, William Noble (the father of Hon. Warren P. Noble and Harrison Noble, the present mayor
of Tiffin), Robert C. Caples, Samuel Yunker, Robert Shippy, Henry Shoutz, Henry F. Johnson, the Long family, Abraham
Craun (who is still living), Joseph English, Thomas Chance, George Stoner and Christian Foster were among the early
My good old friend, Henry Stahl, was a boy but fourteen years old when he came to the township in 1836. He married
Elizabeth, the daughter of John Reinbolt. He is one of the most substantial men of the township and highly respected
for his manly virtues and excellent judgment.
John Lambright, Frederick Feble, William Ash and others, were also prominent citizens.
Isaiah Hollopeter laid out the town of Rehoboth on the 7th of December, 1844, but it never flourished.
The location of the L. E. & L. railroad has brought market to this township, and Jackson station is of great
conveniehce to the people. Some parts of Jackson are rolling and gently undulating, but the larger portion was
overflown by Wolf creek and exceedingly undesirable on that account. The settlers entered the dry and best parts
and the wet portions could find no purchasers for many years. Even so late as the close of the Mexican war, there
were lands in Jackson upon which A. Rank, a Mexican soldier, located his land warrant. This was the last piece
of public land sold in the county.
These swales hindered the progress of Jackson many years, but. finally, by judicious ditching, the surface water
is led away, and Jackson will rank among the best townships in the county, there being very little land within
its borders, unproductive.
Harrison's creek is one of the tributaries of Wolfcreek.
The following is taken from the history of Fostoria and vicinity, by E. W. Thomas, with his kind permission:
In 1832 a large body of Wyandot Indians camped in Jackson township and engaged in their favorite pursuit of
hunting game. They killed eleven bears and one hundred and seven deers, besides large quantities of small game.
They were remarkably quiet and well disposed towards the whites. They bought potatoes, corn, etc., but in all their
transactions were perfectly honest, and if a white family wished to get rid of Indians. they invariably tried.
to get them in debt. for when they once got an Indian indebted to them he would not call again; but the majority
of them could never be induced to go into debt. They would pay up punctually and often bring presents of deer and
The first whisky sold in the township was by John P. Gordon. The Indians used to go to his store, then kept in
Risdon and get their fire water. They would get gloriously fuddled and make the woods resound with their hideous
yells. On one occasion. in the fall of 1832 they had been to Gordons shebang and imbibed freely of fire water.
and getting their bottles filled. they started for their camp. some four miles distant. They had to pass the cabin
of Mr. Nestlerode, on what was then known as the island and bears that name to the present time; the same farm
now being owned by Mr. Nestlerode, who is a resident of Fosteria. They stopped, as they had been in the habit of
doing before, but were drunk. There were some six or seven in the company. When they arrived at Mr. Nestlerode's
cabin, they were too drunk to get off their ponies, but Mr. and Mrs. Nestlerode assisted them to dismount. When
they entered the cabin, they commenced upsetting chairs, tables and everything that came in their way. They were
feeling up for the floor when a general fight ensued between the whole party, except the chief, Thomas Koon, who
Their scalping knives and tomahawks were brought into use, and the family were frightened; the children treed under
the beds. But Mr. Nestlerode, by order of the chief, took the knives, tomahawks and guns from them, and their bottles
of fire water also. But the chief feared trouble when they reached their camp, and probably fearing they might
return, asked Mr. Nestlerode to hand each Indian his bottle of fire water; which was done, and then assisting them
on their ponies, they again started for their camp, but had proceeded. but a short distance when one of the party
became rather top heavy, and tumbled off. His companions baited, built him a fire, and. left him, and proceeded
on to their camp. The Indian who had been left, returned to Mr. Nestlerode's the next morning with his clothes
badly burned, and when asked what was the matter, replied: "Indian too much drunk; Indian take too much fire
water; Indian sleep close big fire; fire much burn Indian, but white man get Indian drunk, then cheat Indian much."
On the next day each Indian returned alone for his property, that Mr. Nestlerode had taken from him while drunk.
Mrs. Nestierode was very anxious to get rid of them as soon as possible, so when the first Indian came she brought
out all the knives, tomahawks and guns, but he only took what belonged to him, and 'when each one came be could
only be induced to take his own property. They all appeared ashamed of what they had done the day before, and like
Adam in the garden of Eden, they lay the blame on some other person. "Bad white man; sell Indian fire water;
Indian get much drunk; Indian bad; white man cheat Indian."