History of Cynthian Township, Shelby
From: History of Shelby County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
By: A. B C. Hitchcook, Sidney, Ohio
Published by Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill. 1913
There is evidence that Cynthian township attracted settlers as early as 1815. In that year Thomas Butt, John
Wise and Conrad Pouches had established themselves with their families, but it is still a question which came first.
Nevertheless they soon had other neighbors for between that date and 1824 the following pioneers, some from the
older states and others from countries across the sea took up their residences in the township: Leonard and Tobias
Danner, Henry Hershaw, Zachariah Hurley, John and Alexander Miller, Samuel and Benjamin Weighty, Jacob Seerfauss,
John Barker, John Gates; C. Stoker, William Hicks, George Hannan, William Jerome, Charles Lovell, George Moyer,
Jacob, John and Andrew Wise, Robert Steen, J. Shagley, Robert Chambers and John Borden.
TOWNS AND VILLAGES
Four towns - North Port, Newport, Cynthian and Basinburg - have been platted at different times in the township's
Basinburg - There was a time when Basinburg had prospects of becoming a considerable business and social center
for the township but progress was slow and its village organization is no longer evident. It was laid out in 1839
by Herman Mier in the northwest quarter of section 18, town. 10, range 5 east, the plats showing sixty five lots,
the sixty fifth being donated to the citizens as a site for a church edifice. Its main streets were Main, Canal,
Basin, Water, East and South Lane.
The people of ynthian township are well supplied with school facilities, there being eight special school districts, the officials of these being selected from among the leading men of the township. Hopewell special school district's officer for 1911 and 1912: S. M. Bodemiller, president; F. B. Miller, clerk, William Wiley, treasurer, and Charles Snow and Nathan. Cromes, in 1911, the only change in 1912 being that Henry Bodemiller took the place of Nathan Cromes. Grisez special school district for 1911 had John P. Lallemand for president; John Grisez for clerk; Henry Achbach for treasurer, with maize Cardo and Philip Cardo as other members of the board. The officers and members for 1912 were: Jesse Barder, president; John Grisez, clerk; J. P. Lallemand, treasurer, and: Xavier Cardo and Henry Achbach. Turner special school district's board of education for 1912: Henry Sherman, president; Peter Filerman, clerk; Frank Turner, treasurer, and N. A. Paulus, William Kloeker and Jacob Batty. Basinburg special school district in 1911 had John Swartz as president, Michael Loy, clerk, Henry Harrod, treasurer, and Joseph H. Kessler and John Martz, while in 1912 the board was as follows: J. H. Kessler, president; Michael Loy, clerks; Henry Harrod, treasurer, and Frank Lindhaus, John Lengerich and Joseph Wurtz. Short special school district board for 1912 had Henry Eilerman for president; Henry Holscher for clerk; Charles Broerman for treasurer and G. W. Short and Joseph Winner, no change being made in 1912, except that John C Short took the place of Joseph Winner. Forest special school district for 1911 elected J. H. Rhodeharnel as president of its boards; Charles C. Snyder, clerk, David A. McKinstry for treasurer and Robert and Leander Wright as the other members. In 1912 the officials and members were: Leander Wright, William Jelly and W. W. Widener, the same officials serving. Oran special school district's board of education for 1912 had D. W. Christman as president; George Wyatt as treasurer; E. J. Enjàrt as clerk, with David Swab and A. Fagan as other members. Other school statistics may be found in the chapter on education.
Methodist Episcopal Church - In 1872 through the efforts of Dr. Reaner and Mrs. Henry Sweigart, a Sunday school
was organized at Newport, which developed into the Methodist Episcopal church at that place. A brick edifice was
completed in the fall of 1873, the congregation then under the ministerial charge of Rev. Rauch. In spite of the
decreased population of the village this church has maintained its organization and. has always been active in
Christian work. Rev. Parker is the present pastor.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
Between 1835 and 1910, Cynthian township has been served by fifty three of its representative citizens in the
office of justice of the peace, a list of the same being herewith given: Michael Penrod, 1835; John Miller, 1837;
George Hale, 1838; John Miller, 1840; Isaac Short, 1841; John Miller, 1843; G. G Murphy, 1844; Josiah Clawson,
1846; H. Gloyd, 1847; G. G. Murphy, 1847; John Miller, 1848; Harry Floyd, 1853; W. W. Skillen, 1854; James R. Johnston,
1855; Isaac Short, 1858; J. S. Chrisman, 1859; Isaac Short, 1861; Eugene Pilliod, 1862; Isaac Short, 1864; Eugene
Pilliod, 1865; M. Merrick, 1867; Isaac Short, 1868; George Barker, 1869; Eugene Pilliod, 1871; Charles Mann, 1871;
Edward Huston, 1874; Charles Mann, 1874; Edward Huston, 1877; N. W. Mills, 1877; A. H. Leckey, 1877; Julius Foust,
1880; Francis Turner, 1880; A. H. Luckey, 1883; Frank Turner, 1883; S. S. Laymaster, 1886; John Carpenters 1886;
Frank Moorman, 1888 (resigned in 1889): Charles Mann, 1889; Anthony Marshall, 1890; Benjamin F. Foust, 1890; G.
W. Carpenter, 1892; R. Harrop, 1893; B. F. Foust, 1893; E. B. Sweigert, 1889; O. W. Nisewonger, 1899; J. F. Withringham,
1902; F. H. Turner, 1902; J. P. Galley, 1903; Wilbur Spraley, 1906; John H. Pickering, 1906; H. H. Short, 1909;
J. F. Emert, 1910.