This township, located in the southwest corner of the county, is more or less distinguished from the other townships
in its citizenship and its customs. It is quite cosmopolitan in its citizenship, but from an early period the western
portion has been settled largely by the French. It is traversed by the Big Four Railroad, with three stations in
the township, namely: Dawson, North Houston and Russia. The old canal cuts through the northeast corner of the
Loramie township is for the most part level and is exceedingly rich in its soil. It is well drained as within its
limits are to be found Loramie creek and Nine Mile creek, together with various small tributaries. It is well suited
for general agriculture, all products growing here readily. The first settlers came shortly prior to the War of
1812, and among the first of whom there is any knowledge was Samuel McClure, who with his family settled on what
afterward became known as the J. W. Akin farm in section 9. There were only occasional arrivals during the war,
but about 1814 settlers began coming in numbers. In that year came Robert and David Houston, and they were followed
the succeeding year by William and John Houston. Among others of that early period who cast their fortunes with
that of the township were the following: William Morrow, who came from Cumberland, Pa., in 1815; William Johnston
of Pennsylvania in 1816 and John Patterson the same year; William Skillen from Westmoreland county, Pa., in 1817,
and shortly before that time Zebediah Richardson, William Anderson and Thomas Wyatt; Henry Zemer and Jacob Black,
in 1818; Jacob Everly, David Clark, Henry Harp and Robert Johnson were to be found here in 1820; William Johnston
of Ireland, James Haney and Joseph Blackwood came in. 1823; William Ellis in 1826; Henry Day in 1830; Joseph Wyatt
in 1831;. William Legg in 1832; John Worley and Jacob Rouston, the latter from Maryland, in 1833; Christian Mader
of Germany in 1834; Jacob S. Apple from Montgomery county, O., in 1837;. Fred Bishop of Germany in 1838, and about
the same time, J. R. Griffis of Butler county, O.; William Harrup from England in 1839; Emanuel Sherer in 1840;
Henry S. Apple from Montgomery county, O., in 1843; and Peter Wright, who in 1839 came to Cynthian township from
Pennsylvania, moved to this township in 1848. Late in the thirties the western part of the township began to be
settled by people of the French race, among the most prominent of them being James Unum, who came here in 1835;
J. J. Debrosse and Joseph Gaible who came in 1837; John B. Malliott. and Amos Peppiot in 1838; Tebone Didier in
1840; Henry Delaet in. 1844; Simon Richards in 1845; Louis Peltier in 1848; and Nicholas Dither in 1852.
The following, taken from the, records of the township, is given, primarily, to show the names of people who played
a part in the affairs of the time, and secondarily the difference in volume of business transacted through the
township officers in that day and this:
Orders issued and granted in 1824 - No. 23. To Jacob R. Harp for one dollar for services as supervisor, dated March
7, 1825; $1.00. No. 24. To William Johnston for one dollar for services as supervisor, dated March 7, 1825; $1.00.
No. 25. To Jonas Richardson for one dollar and seventy five cents, dated March 7, 1825; $1.75. No. 26. To Samuel
McClure for one dollar and fifty cents for services as trustee, dated. March 7, 1825; $1.50. No. 27. To Robert
McClure for one dollar and fifty cents for services as trustee, dated March. 7, 1825; $1.50. No. 28. To John Booker
for one dollar and fifty cents for services as trustee, dated March 7, 1825; $1.50. No. 29. To Snow Richardson
for two dollars for services as township clerk, dated March 7, 1825; $2.00. Total amount of orders granted and
Treasurer's Report, March 7, 1825. - No money received, and none expended.
Road Districts in 1825. - The trustees convened according to law, and laid out the township in the following road
districts, to wit: No. 1. Commencing at the northwest corner of section 3; thence to the mouth of Nine Mile' creek;
said creek being the line into William Wright's improvement (and including said William Wright in said District
No. I); thence to include all north of District No. 1. Robert Johnston, township clerk. In 1826 the township was
divided into three road districts
Orders Issued in 1826. - No. 30. To John Booker, trustee, $3.00. No. 31. To Thomas Wyatt, trustee, 75 cents. No.
32. To Jacob R. Harp, constable, $1.00. No. 33. To William N. Flinn, trustee, $2.25. No. 34. To James McCane, supervisor,
75 cents. Total amount of orders for 1826, $7.75.
School Districts in 1826. - No. 1. Beginning at the northeast corner of section 22, town. 9, range 5; thence west
in said line to the northeast corner of section 20; thence south to the northeast corner of section 29; thence
west in said line to the Darke county line; thence south to Miami county line; thence east on said line to the
southeast corner of section 27; thence north to place of beginning. No. 2. Beginning at the northwest corner of
section 6; thence south to the northeast corner of section 19; thence east to Grayson. (Washington) township line;
thence north in said line to Cynthian township line; thence west on said line to place of beginning. No. 3. Including
all the township not included in Districts Nos. 1 and 2.
List of Householders in these Districts. - No. 1. Wm. Morrow, Wm. Johnston, John Patterson, James McClure, Wm.
Anderson. No. 2. Thomas Wyatt, John Houston, Wm. Skilien, Janos Richardson, Isaac. Mann, Wm. N. Flinn, Wm. Gibson,
Wm. Flinn, Harvey Houston, Eleazer Hathaway, Henry Hashaw, Robert Houston, Levi Levaley, Robert McClure, Jr., 2d,
Robert Houston, Jr., Stephen Julian, Zebediah Richardson, Snow Richardson, Robert McClure, Robert McClure, Jr.,
Phebe Richardson, James Cannon, Wm. Bodkin, Robert Johnston, Sarah Johnston. No. 3. Henry Harp, Anthony Harp, Win.
Johnston, Jr., Wm. Houston, Wm. Wright, Joseph Hughs, John Hughs, George Black, Jacob Black, James Hervey, George
Livingood, Henry Zemer, Jacob Everley, James Myers, Andrew Black, Margaret Clark, David Houston.
Treasurer's Report for 1827. - Received from Thomas Wyatt, J. P., fifty cents, being the amount collected by him
as a fine; 50 cents.
Orders for 1827. - To Wm. Houston, trustee, 75 cents. John Hughs, constable, $1.11 ½ Robert Johnston, trustee,
75 cents. Wm. Wright, clerk, $2.00. Total orders issued March 3, 1828, for year 1827, $5.11½.
In March, 1828, the township was divided into two school districts, with twelve householders in the first, and
thirty three in the second. In July three districts were formed, and in November these were reformed, so that the
first embraced seventeen householders, the second twenty two, and the third fourteen.
On December 27, 1828, sections 27, 28, 21, and 22 of Loramie township were attached to school district No. 2, of
Grayson (Washington) township, in answer to petition.
Receipts and Expenditures in 1828. - Receipts, $0.00; expenditures, $0.00.
ROBERT HOUSTON, L. T. C.
Election. - I do hereby certify that Daniel C. Flinn was elected captain' of the 2d Company, 2d Regiment, 2d Battalion,
12th Division, Ohio Militia, on the 8th day of August, 1829, by a majority of twenty one votes.
JAMES HERVEY, L. T. Clk.
In 1831 a "list of hands in road districts," shows thirty six in the first, fourteen in the second, and
twenty in the third district.
Grand jurors selected in October, 1831: Eleazer Hathaway, Thos. Wyatt, Richard Jeffries, Wm. Houston; Robert Houston,
Jacob Everley, Jr. Petit jurors selected same date: John Crozier, Robert Houston, Jr., Robert Johnston, Charles
Mann, Snow Richardson, Joseph Blackwood.
At an election held for state and county officers October 11, 1831, fifty five votes were cast. In March, 1833,
the township was divided into four road districts.
Exhibit for 1832. - Received from John Crozier one dollar for Sabbath breaking, which sum is now in the treasury.
for school purposes.
Orders Issued. - To Harvey Houston, constable, 75 cents.
In 1834 the township was divided into four school districts. In 1838 six road districts were formed. At an election
held in 1843 ninety eight votes were cast; in 1847, sixty five votes.
In 1855 twelve road districts were formed, and at spring election one hundred and thirteen votes were polled.
The following is a list of justices of the peace of Loramie township and the year of their respective elections;
James Hervey, 1824; Robert Houston, 1826; Thomas Wyatt, 1827; Eleazer Hathaway, 1828; William Wright, 1829; Robert
Houston, 1830; John Crozier, 1831; William N. Flinn, 1833.; John Crozier, 1834; William N. Flinn, 1836; John M.
Ross, 1837; Cyrus Jeffries, November 21, 1838; Snow Richardson, January 7, 1840; Robert Houston, December 7, 1840;
John G. Hunter, December 24, 1842;. Robert Houston, February 13, 1844; John W. Day, December 11, 1845; Robert Houston,
February, 1847; J. G. Hunter, April 17, 1848; Samuel Clark, 1848; Asa D. Young, 1851; A. D. Young, 1854; Samuel
Clark, 1854; David Flinn, 1857; William. Bland, May 1, 1860; David Flinn, October 18, 1860; John Gartley, 1861;
David Flinn, October 23, 1863; John Gartley, September 1, 1864; William Flinn, 1866; C. B. McKinney, 1867; William
Flinn, 1869; C. B. McKinney, 1870; William Flinn, 1872; Joseph Voisard, 1873; William Flinn, 1875; Joseph Voisard,
1876; William Flinn, 1878; Joseph Voisard, 1879; Jeremiah Miller, 1880; William Flinn, 1881; Jeremiah Miller, 1883;
David. Souder, 1884; Justin Monnin, 1887; J. M. Wyatt, 1887; William Flinn, 1890; J. M. Wyatt, 1890; Irene Eshman,
1892; Hudson Flinn, 1893; I. A. Eshman, 1895; Hudson Flinn, 1896; I. A. Eshman, 1898; Hudson Flinn, 1899; George
K. Nash, 1901; John B. Moorman, 1902; J. F. Flinn; 1902; John B. Moorman, 1905; J. F. Flinn, 1905; John B. Moorman,
1908; B. L. Grillot, 1908; J. F. Flinn, 1910; and B. L. Grillot, 1912.
The present officers of Loramie township are George M. Francis of Russia, clerk; and C. A. Wolaver, E. C. Mader
and James, Voisard, trustees.
In addition to general farming, there was in former years considerable activity in the various industries, especially
milling. In 1876 Crone Brothers established a large saw mill in the township, with a capacity of 8,000 feet per
day, and about the year 1879 John Wright bought the interest of one of the brothers, A. J. Crone. It was then conducted
under the name of Crone & Wright with much success, but is now out of existence. As early as 1862, John Wright
and E. W. Pampel built an icehouse on the Wright farm near Houston, its dimensions being 106 x 42 feet. In 1866
a second icehouse was built, 103 x 52 feet in dimensions, and in 1871 a third was built, 106 x 106 feet, giving
a total storage capacity of 9,500 tons of ice. It was first operated under the name of Wright & Pampel, the
members being John Wright and E. W. Pampel, and later Henry Crone bought the interest of Mr. Pampel, and thereafter
the business was conducted for a number of years under the name of the Summit Ice Company. It is now owned by Dr.
S. G. Marti.
Within the confines of the township there have been a number of villages, more or less flourishing at times,
namely: Houston, Mt. Jefferson, North Houston, Russia, Dawson and Massena.
Houston was surveyed May 4, 1838, by Jonathan Counts, for Harvey
Houston, and was made to include a part of the northwest quarter of section 9, being situated on the state road
between Piqua and St. Marys. The plat was recorded May. 25, 1838. The founder of the village, Harvey Houston, resided
on the east side of the road, just north of the village, in a log house which he for some years used for hotel
purposes. Mrs. Houston was the first postmistress of the township, receiving appointment in 1834. On November 1,
1855, the town of North Houston was laid out for Asa D. Young and also lies in the northwest quarter of section
nine. It is situated Lon the Big Four Railroad and is known as Houston station, the old name having been dropped.
In Houston, the first store was conducted by Nicholas Gresham, who started the business about 1832. Other merchants
to follow him, were: Singer and Brown, Joseph Taylor, B. Mallot and C. Delaet. Mr. Taylor was also a grain dealer
and was identified with the pork packing industry. The village received one very serious setback in its history,
when it was almost wholly depopulated because of the cholera panic. Its population according to the 1910 census
was 227 people. The business of North Houston in the early period was represented by Akin & Flinn, who conducted
a warehouse; William Flinn & Co., who conducted a grocery and also a tile factory; and J. F. Black, who was
proprietor of a general grocery and mercantile store. W. Flinn & Co. also conducted a sawmill at North Houston,
which is now owned by N. C. Barr of Houston.
Mt. Jefferson, lying on the main road from Piqua to. St. Marys, was laid out January 12, 1838; by Jonathan Counts
for Samuel Farnum. The village never assumed any larger proportions than that of a small country center, although
they had within their midst three churches, a Presbyterian, Christian and Episcopal. The first store there was
conducted by Charles Rutherford.
Massena was laid out for a town March 15, 1833, by David and. Cynthian' Houston, and consisted of twelve town lots,
but never made any headway, and the lots were soon again more profitably employed for farming purposes.
Russia, a station on the Big. Four Railroad, according to the last census, has a population of 251 inhabitants.
Its name was derived from the fact that as originally laid out it resembled a locality in Russia in which some
of the first citizens had formerly lived. The first house erected within its limits was that of Lewis Phillip in
1853. He it was who purchased the original town site from a man named Febaux, and conducted the sale of lots. The
plat of the village was made subsequently. The second house was built by Clement Lachat in 1854, and the third
by Ferial DeBrosse in 1856 or 1857. Among those who have conducted business enterprises within the village limits
may be mentioned; Lewis Phillip, who established a grocery in 1853; Jasper Cordenner who conducted a. dry goods
store about 1861; Joseph Delaet, George Marshall; A. F. Ashman; Francis Didier; Joseph Miller; Frank Subler; and
C Besonnet. The business enterprises, in addition to the stores, included blacksmith shops, grain elevators and
saw mills. The saw mill industry was at one time an extensive one, and the mill established by John A. Marshall,
Michael Meham and John B. Marshall, in 1867, was operated for years with unvarying success. Frank Simon succeeded
to Mr. Meham's interest in 1868, and the business was conducted under the name and style of Marshall & Simon,
until about 1888, when it passed into the hands of C. F. Francis, who is still the proprietor. When a postoffice
was established here, Lewis Piney was made the first postmaster. The Roman Catholic congregation erected a church
edifice within the village.
Schools. - It was not long after the settlement had become general that the settlers realized the necessity for
educating their children. It was a serious problem they had to solve, one we can little understand in this day
and age. A beginning was made by holding school in various homes, among them we might mention the homes of Robert
Houston and William Skillen. William Wright and C. Wyatt were early teachers here. The teachers in that day and
for many years afterward, boarded around with the different families who had children in school. When the growth
of population had been sufficient to warrant it; plans were made for the erection of a school building. These plans
were carried out in 1827 or 1828, with the erection of a building in section 18, a rude log structure. As time
passed, the progressive element of the people saw that new and adequate buildings were erected in different parts
of the township, which was divided into different school districts. Further data in regard to the schools of Loramie
township may be found in the chapter on Education.
Churches. - In the main. it was. a God fearing class of citizens who took up their residence in Loramie township,
people used to the refining influences of church work, and it was not long before little gatherings for worship
were being held in various homes. Gradually they became segregated into little groups of this denomination and
the other, generally according the faith to which they were reared, until church organizations were perfected and
still later churches built.
A Methodist Episcopal church was founded in 1825 and as a branch of the Piqua Methodist Episcopal church, by Rev.
Levi White and John Woodney, in the home of Thomas Wyatt. Abner Wyatt was the first class leader. Until 1832, meetings
were held in the homes of Thomas Wyatt, Henry Harp and. Richard Stone, and in that year a hewed log house was erected
in section 17, and was dedicated in December, 1836, by Rev. James Findley. In 1854 a frame church was built at
Mt. Jefferson, in which services were held for a number of years.
The Mt. Jefferson Presbyterian church was organized December 31, 1848, by Rev. J. A. Meeks, of Piqua, Rev. W. B.
Spencer of Sidney, and Elder William Linn of Piqua. John G. Hunter was ordained the first ruling elder on that
date. The original members of the society were: John G. and Charlotte Hunter; James and Jane Harper, Brazillai
and Abigail Gray, Eliza A. Young, Margaret. Blackwood, Catherine Young, Ann Diltz, Mary Diltz, Elizabeth Diltz,
J. W. Hunter and Maria Hunter. A brick church was built at Mt. Jefferson, and was dedicated January 2, 1850, by
Rev. Thomas Elcock, who served about two years as pastor. The church has maintained its organization up to the
present time and is a potent factor in the religious life of the community.
The Mt. Jefferson Christian church was organized in 1849 by Elders Caleb Wooley and James Fahnestock, and had originally
eight members, as follows: Frederick Everly, Jesse Ellis, Jephtha M. Wyatt and wife, Jesse D. Elliott and wife,
and John Hughes and wife. In 1852 a frame church building was erected at Mt. Jefferson. This organization is still
The Beech Grove United Brethren church was organized in the Apple sthoolhouse about the year 1866, by Rev. William
Mittendorf, who was its first minister. Reuben Schuler was the first class leader. A church building was erected
on land formerly owned by J. S. Apple, and was dedicated on September 5, 1869. The first members of the congregation
were Reuben Schuler and wife, Jacob Hengle and wife, and Anthony August and wife. The church flourished for a number
of years but is not now in existence.
The St. James German Reformed church was built in section 7, and was dedicated September 14, 1881, by Revs. Shaw
and Weaver. The congregation had been organized by Rev: Jacob Weaver as early as 1867, but no building had been
erected in which to worship. The first members were: Christian Harmony and wife; George Singer, his wife and three
children; George Arent and wife; George Sherer and wife; and J. Lindsey and wife. This church also has gone out
St. Remy Congregation, Russia. - In the early part of the present century a colony of immigrants from France, Alsace,
and Loraine settled in the western part of Shelby and eastern part of Darke counties, forming what is now known
as Frenchtown, Versailles and Russia. These early settlers, true to the ancient faith, resolved to build a house
of worship, to honor God after the custom of their fathers. This first church, known as St. Walbert's church, was
situated one and a half miles northeast of the then Jacksonville, nqw Versailles. The ancient site is now used
as the cemetery of St. Denis church, Versailles. It was the parish church of the three settlements. Soon, however,
it became necessary to provide for better accommodations, The Catholics of Russia resolved to form a parish and
build a church, under the direction of the Rev. L. Navaron, who continued to administer to their spiritual needs
as their first pastor. The new church of logs was dedicated to St. Remy, the apostle of France, and in it for the
first time on the 15th of June, 1854, was celebrated with great ceremonies the first holy communion of children
and confirmation administered by the Most Rev. Archbishop Durcell, on the 26th of the same month. The congregation
continued to increase and soon the erection of a new and more spacious edifice became necessary. In 1869 a large
and imposing brick church was built under the direction of the Rev. C Berard, and again after some years it became
necessary to erect a new and still more spacious edifice because growing number of Catholics. The present beautiful
church was begun in 1891 under the direction of the Rev. Nicholas Poiry, and was completed in 1892, and is one
of the most imposing and beautiful structures of the archdiocese. It is built in purely Roman style and is the
pride of the congregation. The present pastor is Rev. F. Kruskamp.
St. Michael's Catholic Church, Ft. Loramie, O. - Berlin was constituted a parish in 1838, at which time about 40
families were registered. Some German families had already been here for several years, and when the canal was
constructed the population materially increased, many families coming here from Cincinnati and other cities. About
That time a log church was erected and occasionally a priest came from Minster, read mass, baptized children, solemnized
marriages and interred the dead. The priests of the society of "The Precious Blood" labored at Minster,
to which place the Berlin catholics frequently went to attend services. In 1840 the parish of Berlin embraced over
100 families. They continued to worship in the log church until 1849, at which time a brick church, 60 by 30 feet,
ground dimensions, was constructed, and hung with a 700 pound bell. But the season of 1849-50 proved trying to
the new community, for an epidemic of cholera broke out, which within two months, swept away 28 persons, some 200
dying from the same fell disease at Minster.
The plague, however, ran its course and the people resumed neglected undertakings. The new church was dedicated
and the services of Rev. Augustus Berger, of the Grand Duchy, were secured by the congregation. Under his care
the new priest's house was built. He was succeeded in 1857 by Rev. Henry Muckerheide, of Oldenberg, who labored
here until 1863, with great zeal and ability. He was succeeded by Rev. M. Anton Meyer, of Canton Basel, of Switzerland,
who had an addition of 20 feet made to the church, and a few years later carried the construction of a schoolhouse
to completion. In 1873, on account of failing health, he resigned from active labor in this field.
In that year, 1873, the institution of the "Fathers of the Holy Spirit" was abrogated in Germany, and
Archbishop Purcell, wrote to the Rev. General chief of the society to procure some priests for this country. Accordingly,
in January, 1874, four priests and twelve lay brothers of the society. left Paris for the United States, among
whom was Rev. William Bigot, who became pastor of Berlin parish, this county. He had seen arduous service during
the Franco-Prussian war in ministering to the wounded soldiers, and in performing other important offices, for
which services the French government had conferred upon him the Cross of Chivalry, the Legion of Honor and the
Cross of Merit. He reached Berlin, Shelby county, O., January 20, 1874, and here he found plenty of work awaiting
him. Old debts amounting to $700 had to be paid, the priest's house to be repaired; and the holy vessels to be
renewed. All this was readily done, but the parish needed a new church, an enterprise which the congregation did
not yet feel ready to undertake. Father Bigot himself gave a year's salary for the purchase of a 3,800 pound bell;
but a new tower was needed for the bell, and a new church for the tower. By 1879 conditions had become more favorable
and it was resolved to build. It was decided that, over and above the manual labor the members could perform, the
building should not cost over $30,000. There already existed a fund of $4,000 for the purpose and a nine days'
collection throughout the parish brought in $16,000 more. The collection for the year 1881 brought $8,000, which,
added to a pew rent surplus fund of $2,000, raised the aggregate to $30,000 before the completion of the church.
Aside from this individual gifts were received, such as a stained glass window or a figure. One family contributed
$800 for St. Mary's altar, while many others gave in a quiet manner, something over the regular subscription. By
the 12th of October, 1879, the foundation was completed and on that date the Most Reverend Archbishop laid the
cornerstone with imposing ceremonies.
The consecration ceremonies took place on Sunday, October 2, 1881, the Most Rev. William H. Elder presiding. The
inhabitants had previously decorated their houses, and on Saturday afternoon the highly venerable consecrator was
met at the boundary of the parish by forty young men mounted on horses and was by them received and escorted to
Berlin, to the accompaniment of pealing bells and a salute fired by cannon. The procession passed under triumphal
arches. Soon after the arrival of the Rt. Rev. Bishop the relics destined for the high altar in the new church
were transferred and carried over in solemn procession, in which all Berlin participated, to the old church, and
there set to view during the night for reverence by the faithful. At 4.00 A. M. on Sunday morning the holy masses
began, and at 6.00 A. M. the solemn and imposing ceremonies of the consecration began and were continued until
after ten o'clock, four priests being present. After the consecration the Most Rev. Archbishop celebrated a pontifical
high mass, assisted by the clergy, deacons and other officials present. The Rev. N. Nickols then ascended the pulpit
and preached the festal sermon in the German language, after which the Most Rev. Archbishop made an address to
the congregation. In the afternoon solemn vespers were held, after which the General vicar P. Otto Jair, O. S.
F., preached. During the pontifical high mass the Maennerchor of Piqua, sang, and during vespers, the church choir
of tile congregation. At the close of vespers the festivities closed with the singing of the Te Deum.
St. Michael's church is a really magnificent structure. It is built in the Italian-Gothic style. Four slender pillars
alternately divide the interior into three naves. The decorations are rich and the glass painting of the windows
magnificent. The side windows contain respectively paintings of St. Augustine and St. Bonif ace. Of the fourteen
other windows five are in fresco painting, while upon the remaining are represented St. John the Baptist, the most
blessed Virgin Mary, St. Anna, St. Elizabeth, St. Catharina, St. Henricus, St. Anthony, St. Lawrence and the child
Jesus. The three altars are masterpieces, namely: the high altar, whose table is supported by six small pillars.
The fields between the pillars are filled up with emblems, of which the middle one contains the book with seven
seals with the lamb. The tabernacle has richly ornamented folding doors; above these is a niche for the ostentation
of the Most Holy Sacrament, beside which two worshipping angels are standing under canopies. The altar picture
is the crucifixion-group in a niche under a canopy which terminates in turrets with buttresses and finials richly
provided with carved ornaments. The side fields contain the statues of both apostle chiefs, likewise under canopies,
with richly articulated tower and pyramid. Beside the altar there are placed on both sides pedestals for worshipping
angels. Both of the side altars (St. Mary's and St. Joseph's altars) are wrought correspondingly with the high
altar, and contain in the chief respectively St. Mary's and St. Joseph's statue. The St. Mary's altar contains
in the side niches the statues of St. Rosa and St. Theresa. The altar table, decorated in the Gothic style, contains
the statue St. Mary. The St. Joseph's altar contains in the side niches the statues St. Francis Xavier and St.
Alois; the altar table the signature "St. Joseph." Pulpit and communion table are held in like style
and are splendid works. Likewise is the organ, in its outward appearance corresponding with the building style
of the church held in rich Gothic. The building is 150 by 65 feet and represents a cost of over $40,000. It is
numbered among the most beautiful churches in all America. The present pastor of St. Michael's is Rev. Anthony