History of McLean Township, Shelby County, Ohio
From: History of Shelby County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
By: A. B C. Hitchcook, Sidney, Ohio
Published by Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill. 1913


ORGANIZATION

McLean township, which lies on the west side of the county, where its boundary is Auglaize county; has Cynthian township as its nearest neighbor on the south, Van Buren and Turtle Creek townships on the east and Van Buren township and Auglaize county on the north. In answer to petition made to the county commissioners, the order for its organization was issued March 1, 1834, the legal description being as follows: "Beginning at the county line between Darke and Shelby counties, where the old Indian boundary line made at the Greenville Treaty Conference, in 1795, intersects said county line, and running thence with said Indian boundary line in an easterly direction to the southeast corner of section 8, In town 8 south, range 5 east; thence north with the section line to the county line between Shelby and Allen. (Auglaize) counties; thence west with the said line to northwest corner of Shelby county; thence south and west with the west boundary line of Shelby county to the place of beginning; and the board orders that said township be known and designated by the name of McLean."

SURFACE AND DRAINAGE

The surface of McLean township is generally level, the soil is easily worked and agriculture flourishes here. The Loramie reservoir, covering an area of about 6,000 acres, is located mainly in McLean township, about 1,000 acres being in Van Buren. This reservoir is formed by the damming of Loramie creek and constitutes a feeder for the Miami and Erie canal, which traverses the township from north to south. Loramie creek, flowing from Dinsmore township, waters a large section and Mill creek and Second run have afforded ample outlet for drainage.

EARLY SETTLEMENTS

McLean township was mainly settled by Germans. They brought with them to what was a primeval wilderness, their home making qualities, their thrifty habits and plodding industry, and found their reward in the possession of land that responded to their cultivation and an independence that they could never have secured in Germany. Not all who have built up McLean township, however, came from that country, for there are many names that proclaim other native lands, but at the present day they are all so thoroughly American that no difference is noted. Perhaps politics have interested the residents here to a larger extent than in some other sections and a few early election statistics may be of interest.

In the state election of 1850, ninety three votes were cast, seventy nine of these being for the democratic candidate for governor, Reuben Wood. At the election in 1851 which was for the adoption or rejection of the new constitution and for or against the sale of intoxicating liquors, the vote for license stood 118, five votes being cast against. In the presidential election of 1852, 122 votes were cast for the democratic electors and twenty eight for the whig electors. In 1864 the democratic electors received 219 votes and the republican electors 20 votes.

SCHOOLS

No section of the county has been more interested in them spread of education than has McLean and as early as 185o the trustees of the township divided it into six school districts, the board consisting of Henry Whermann Joseph Sherman and Philip Hoffman, Henry Sherman being township clerk in 185o when this division was made. The officers serving as members of the boards of education in the different special school districts in McLean township in 1811-12 are:

Berlin Special School District for 1911: John Borger, president; Ferdinand C. Arkenberg, treasurer; J. B. Ratermann; clerk and Adolph Ratermann and John Seger. In 1912 the same president and treasurer served, Bernard Aselage becoming clerk and Henry Wendler and John Seger being the other members.

Sherman Special School District: John Seigel, president; Clemens Wolke, treasurer; Adolph Sherman, clerk, and Henry Ernst, W: J. Meyer and Barney Ernst, no change being made in 1912 except that Bernard Barhorst became a member.

Walkup Special School District: Charles Winner, president; Henry Sturwold, treasurer; Henry Borchers, clerk; and Anton Hilgefort and Joseph Poeppelman, for 1911, the same president and treasurer serving in 1912, with John Holthaus, clerk and Anton Hilgefort and Fred Broermann, members.

Deiter Special School. District for 1911-12: Anton Riethmann president; Henry Schnitmeyer, treasurer; Stephen Schmitmeter, clerk; and. Herman Berning, Clem. Prenger, Anthony Wolfe and Bernard Knob.

Dirksen Special School District for 1911 had Bernard Seger for president; August Schiniesing for treasurer; Henry Fortman for clerk, With Bernard Brandewie, Frank Bornhorst and J. Henry Albers as members. The same body with the addition of Clem. Haying served in 1912. Further school statistics may be found in the chapter on Education.

FORT LORAMIE

Students of history can easily recall the annals of the French and Indian war and of the military manoeuvres which made this section, in 1756, a battle ground and many yet living can remember the tales of their grandfathers of the building and occupancy of old Fort Loramie, which was situated less than one mile from the site of the present village of the name formerly known as Berlin, and later as Loramie, for which the name Fort Loramié has been recently substituted. This village was surveyed December 2, 1837, and all its lots are 4 by 8 rods except fractional ones. Its principal streets are Main, Walnut, Water, Elm and High. It is situated on the Miami and Erie canal. Not far away flows Loramie creek, the mouth of which is below Lockington, south, of the county line. Many lines of business are successfully carried on here and the people in general are prosperous.

The following is a list of business enterprises at Fort Loramie:

August Wise, saw mill; John Bramlage, flour mill; Loramie Banking Company, established in 1904, B. J. Wuehker president, J. D. Inderrieden vice president, A. F. Ratermann cashier, W. J. Sherman assistant cashier; Willmann Bros., general merchandise; J. D. Inderrieden, hardware, implements and lumber; Barney Kramer, implements, stoves and ranges; John Albers and Company, hardware and lumber; Henry Tecklenburg, hotel. and livery; W. J. Borchers; general merchandise and livery; C. C. Wagler, brick manufacturer; Gregor Fleckenstein, tile manufacturer; Bernard. Danzig furniture and undertaking; Herman Pleiman, groceries; W. H. Quinine, drugs; Clem Daniel, groceries; John H. Romie, saddlery; M. Gregor, meat market; Herman Gainer, bakery and groceries; Peter Rieger, shoe store; J. H. Behrns, tailoring; Peter ĽKrampe, blacksmithing; John Seger, carpentering; Carl Freitag & Son, masonry; Peter Kessler, cider mill; Albert Anthony, barber; Peter Kiefer, plastering; Mat Bruckén, saloon; Ben Vogelsang, saloon; John Tecklenburg, saloon; Paul Borger, poultry; Joseph Henke, poultry; Wm. H. Miederkorn, poultry; Kramer and Dickman, skimming station.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

On November 18, 1837, W. C. Ayres became a justice of the peace in McLean township and the record from then until 1911 is as follows:

Isaac Edwards, June 8, 1841, resigned May 25, r842; Jacob Hauss, June 18, 1842; resigned October 14, 1843; Frances Pilliod, November 11, 1845;. Alexander H. Hayes, October 24; 1846; William A. Edwards; January 18, 185o; William A. Edwards, January 22, 1853; Joseph Mendenhall, January, 1856; John Walkup, April 14, 1857, resigned June 2, 1857; Andrew Ginn, October 21, 1857; J. B. Rottinghaus, April 12, 1859; Milton Kemper, November 10, 1860; J. B. Rottinghaus, April 22, 1862; William Ginn. April 17, 1863; J. B. Rottinghaus, April 14, 1865; Henry Menke, April 11, 1866 (refused to serve); William Ginn, June 24, 1866; Henry Sherman, April 13, 1868; J. W. Barber, April 12, 1869; Henry Rottinghaus, October. 12, 1872; Henry Rottinghaus, October 20, 1875; David K. Brown, April 20, 1877; Joseph Raterman, October 14, 1878; Henry Rottinghaus, May 26, 1880; Albert Hasebrook, October 14, 1881; Albert Hasebrook, 1884; J. H. Rottinghaus. 1886: Albert Hasebrook, 1887; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1889; William H. Quinlin, 189o; William H. Quinlin, 1893; J. H. Rottinghaus, i895; John Barhorst, 1896; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1898; John Barhorst, 1899; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1901; John Barhorst, 1902; J. H. Rottinghaus, 1904; John Barhorst, 1906, Adolph Sherman, 1906; Adolph Sherman, 1908; John Barhorst, 1909; John Barhorst, 1910; Adolph Sherman, 1911.

The present township clerk is William H. Niederkorn. Trustees - Fred Holthaus, Joseph Boltheinier, and Clem Daniel.

There are two fraternal orders that have lodges in McLean township, namely: the Knights of St. John, having 50 members and the Catholic Knights of America, with 12 members.

McClean township has two churches, Emanuel Reformed church, Rev. Albert Grether, pastor; and St. Michael's Catholic church, Rev. Anthony Moeller, pastor.

Return to [ Ohio History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Ohio Biographies ]


Ohio Counties at this web site - Ashland - Auglaize - Champaign - Columbiana - Cuyahoga - Darke - Erie - Franklin - Fulton - Madison - Mercer - Ross - Seneca - Shelby

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ MA ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

[ Much more Ohio History may be found at Linkpendium ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy