[Continued from Beaver Falls history part 1.]
Economy Savings Institution. - This strong financial institution has been of great importance to the business
interests of the county. It was established in March, 1868, with Hon. Henry Hice, president; H. T. Reeves, vice
president; John Reeves, cashier; T. R. Hennon, assistant cashier; George W. Morrison, teller. The board of directors
consisted of the officers and the Harmony Society, acting through its trustee, Jacob Henrici. The capital stock
was at first $20,000, successively increased to $450,000, but the whole wealth of the Harmony Society was practically
back of this institution. Its first place of business was at what is now Seventh Avenue and Fourth Street, in the
building at present occupied by McHattie Brothers, but, February 1, 1870, it was removed to the new building, corner
Seventh Avenue and Twelfth Street. This institution wound up its banking business May 1, 1893, and was succeeded
by John T. Reeves & Company.
We mention here, as of interest, that the first telephone message sent in Beaver County passed between the central
0ffice in the cutlery w0rks and the Econ0my Savings Institution.
Exchange Bank was founded in 1880, in the building afterwards occupied by the First National Bank. Its officers
were: John Reeves, president; C. P. Wallace, cashier. In 1882 Mr. Wallace purchased the interest of Mr. Reeves,
and removed the bank to its quarters on Seventh Avenue. In 1901 Mr. Wallace died, and the bank has ceased to exist.
The First National Bank was organized in July, 1885, with the following officers: Hon. Henry Hice, president; Joseph
Wilson, vice president; P. Robertson, cashier; J M May, John Reeves, Simon Harrold, H. W. Reeves, H. C. Patterson,
J. C. Whitla, J. L. McCartney, and the president and vice president, directors. The capital stock was at first
$50,000, which has been augmented to $150,000. J. T. Reeves afterwards succeeded P. Robertson as cashier, and has
been in turn succeeded by H. W. Reeves. The present officers are: John Reeves, president; J. M. May, vice president;
H. W. Reeves, cashier; and W. F. Bell, assistant cashier. The present board of directors is John Reeves, J. M.
May, W. A. McCool, H. C. Patterson, John T. Reeves, H. W. Reeves, George McHattie, Jos. Wilson, and J. W. Knott.
John T. Reeves & Co. - This firm, composed of John Reeves, John T. Reeves, James F. Merriman. H. W. Reeves,
and J. M. May, was established April 17, 1893, succeeding the Economy Savings Institution. Its capital is $50,000.
The Farmers' National Bank was organized April 17, 1893, with a capital of $100,000, and officered as follows:
Frank F. Brierly, president; Theodore P. Simpson, M.D., vice president, and George W. Morrison, cashier; directors:
F. F. Brierly, J. R. Martin, Esq., Abram Bentley, T. P. Simpson, E. L. Hutchinson, J. M. Buchanan, Esq., M. L.
Knight, J. C. Whitla, John S. Duss.
The present officers are: Frank F. Brierly, president; Theo. P. Simpson, M.D., vice president; George W. Morrison,
cashier; Walter G. Bert, assistant cashier. Directors: F. F. Brierly, T. P. Simpson, M.D., J. R. Martin, Esq.,
Abram Bentley, A.M. Jolly, J. S. Louthan, M.D., L. W. Reed, Esq., George W. Morrison, E. L. Hutchinson.
The Federal Title & Trust Company 0f Beaver Falls was incorporated March 24, 1903, and has a capital stock
of $150,000, fully paid. It began business. October 26, 1903, in temporary quarters, and about September I, 1904,
removed into its new building at the corner of Eleventh Street and Seventh Avenue. Its officers are: Charles W.
Klein, president; W. J. Davidson and H. C. Purviance, vice presidents; Walter W. Potts, secretary and treasurer.
BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATIONS
Of these useful institutions Beaver Falls has the following: People's Building and Loan Association, incorporated
in 1888; Columbia Building and Loan Association, incorporated in 1894; Dime Savings and Loan Association, incorporated
in 1896; Beaver Falls Building and Loan Association, organized in 1878; Carbon Building and Loan Association, incorporated
in 1901; Union Alliance Building and Loan Association (composed of colored people). Two other similar institutions
were in existence for a short time, viz., the Workingmen's Building and L0an Association and the Homestead Loan
and Trust Company.
First Presbyterian Church. - Previous to the existence of a Presbyterian congregation in this place, irregular
services by people of that faith had been held in the old school building; and May 1, 1866, a. union Sunday school
had been started there with thirty scholars.
Sometime in 1867 application was made to Presbytery for an organization, and, November 22d in that year, a committee
was appointed by Presbytery to organize a church in Beaver Falls, if the way should be clear. This committee organized
a church with twenty three members, three of whom, William Frazier, A. C. Thorne, and W. W. Parkinson, were made
ruling elders. Until the spring of 1868 the church had supplies, and at that time Rev. Albert Dilworth was settled
as the first regular pastor. In the summer of 1869 a house of worship was commenced, which was dedicated April
14, 1870. Mr. Dilworth severed his relations to the congregation March 14, 1871, and it was supplied by Rev. R.
R. McNulty until January, 1872. In that month and year the present pastor, Rev. J. D. Moorhead, began his work.
Following are the ruling elders in this congregation: M. L. Knight, J. A. B. Patterson, John Douds, H. E. Scott,
Jas. F. Merriman, Geo. C. Wareham, S. C. Gormley, John A. Campbell and J. J. Kennedy.
The deacons are J. M. May, M.D., George W. Morrison, John Douds, J. A. B. Patterson, and the Sunday school superintendent
is B. C. Barnard.
This church has a large brick house of worship, which a few years ago was greatly enlarged and beautified. Its
present membership is 502.
Methodist Episcopal Church. - In the spring of 1867 the Rev. J. J. Mcllyar, then pastor of the Methodist Episcopal
Church in New Brighton. began to hold services in the schoolhouse in Beaver Falls, which were continued through
the summer and fall. During the following winter a protracted effort was made, which resulted in quite a number
of accessions to the New Brighton church. In the early spring of 1868 an effort was made to build a Methodist Episcopal
church in Beaver Falls. A subscription paper was circulated and the effort met with hearty favor. Having secured
the donation of two lots, and a loan of $2000 from the Harmony Society, the brethren proceeded to the immediate
erection of a church. The basement story was completed the same year and formally dedicated by Rev. J. J. McIlyan
The Rev. B. F. Sawhill took charge of the congregation, which then numbered about twenty members, and remained
in charge till the spring conference of 1869. Since then the following pastors have served the church: 1869, John
McCarty; 1870, J. R. Roller; 1871-4, W. B. Grace; 1874-6, Theodore Finley; 1876, S. T. Mitchell; 1877-9, D. A.
McCready; 1879, Edward Williams; 1880, John Conner; 1881, J. E. Wright; 1882-5, M. M. Sweeny; 1885-9, A. H. Miller;
1889-94, M. J. Sleppy; 1894-7, G. W. Terbush; 1897-8, R. T. Miller; 1898-03, R. C. Wolf; 1904, R. B. Mansell, D.
During the pastorate of M. M. Sweeny the church was rebuilt at an expense of about $7000. It was again rebuilt
and enlarged to its present proportions during the pastorate of M. J. Sleppy, at an expense of about $12,000.
This church was incorporated as the "First Methodist Episcopal Church of Beaver Falls," September 19,
1874, its incorporators being Henry T. Reeves, Henry M. Myers, William H. H. Jones, F. K. Brierly, Daniel C. McCann,
F. F. Brierly, Thomas Leslie, John Snair, and Joseph Sponsler.
The Methodist Protestant Church of Beaver Falls was organized May 23, 1869, when most of the buildings in the town
were below the Seventh Avenue hill, by members of the New Brighton church who had moved from the opposite side
of the river.
The following persons were the organizers: Henry T. Reeves and wife; Charles Taylor and wife; George Zahler and
wife; Abijah McClain, wife, and daughter Agnes; Mrs. Catharine McClain, Mrs. Sarah Howe; Mrs. Sarah Scott; John
Kensley and wife.
The meeting place was the old brick schoolhouse, Seventh Avenue, near Eighth Street. Sunday school was organized
July 11, 1869. Rev. John Hodgkinson was the first preacher in charge.
In July, 1869, a lot was donated by Mr. Henry T. Reeves, on which the present church building was erected. The
building was commenced in May, 1870, and dedicated in July of the same year. The dedicatory services were in charge
of the venerable Wm. Collier, D.D., who was at that time president of the Annual Conference. The church was served
by Rev. S. F. Crowther for a time, and he was followed by Rev. John Hodgkinson, 186970. Rev. W. J. Shehan was the
first regularly appointed pastor of the new church, serving it from September, 1870, to September, 1871; and at
this time the membership numbered forty one and the Sunday school, 120.
Since this time the following pastors have served the church: Rev. J. F. Dyer, 1871-73; Rev. G. G. Westfall, 1873-75;
Rev. G. B. Dotson, 1875-76; Rev. E. A. Brindley, 1876-77; Rev. M. B. Taylor, 1877-79; Rev. J. C. Berrien, 1879-80;
Rev. John Gregory, 1880-82; Rev. J. C. Berrien (second appointment), 1882-91; Rev. W. R. Cowl, 1891-95; Rev. J.
B. Nixon, 1895-99. Rev. C. F. Swift, the present pastor, was appointed by conference to this charge, September,
1899. During the pastorate of Dr. Westfall in 1874-75, the present parsonage was erected.
The church has been steadily increasing for thirty years, each 0f the pastors named having been instrumental in
bringing valuable accessions to the society. During Mr. Berrien's long pastorate the church membership was more
than doubled, and the property was enlarged by the addition of the commodious Sunday school rooms. During Mr. Cowl's
pastorate the interior was frescoed and the audience room reseated. This congregation is now building at Thirteenth
Street and Sixth Avenue a fine new stone church.
The First United Presbyterian Church of Beaver Falls. - This church was organized by a committee of the Presbytery
July 26, 1869, with a membership of fifty one. It depended at first upon supplies, and the pastorates from the
first have been as follows: Rev. J. I. Frazer, January 1, 1871, to April 10, 1883; Rev. E. N. McElree, February
1, 1885, to 1892; and Rev. R. W. Kidd, from 1892 until the present.
In 1869 a brick church was built at a cost of $6000, and in 1894 this was replaced by a much larger and very handsome
building, also of brick, costing about $17,000. The church is in a flourishing condition. The present membership
is about four hundred.
The Reformed Presbyterian Congregation of Beaver Falls. - This congregation was organized by committee of the Pittsburg
Presbytery of that denomination, November 24, 1874, with twenty four members. J. D. McAnlis, Robert Paisley, and
John Cook were its first ruling elders; and James Cook, J. B. Maxwell, and John Kirker its deacons. Its first pastor
was Rev. R. J. George, who was installed June 15, 1875, and remained until 1892. He was followed by W. M. Glasgow,
1893-1899, and the present pastor, Rev. J. S. Thompson, began his work January, 1, 1901, the church having had
supplies in the interim. The eldership was increased at intervals by the addition of the following: William R.
Sterrett, R. J. Bole, William Pearce, R. A. Bole, and the diaconate by the addition of J. J. Kennedy, William Cook,
John Copeland, D. P. White, R. M. Downie, S. W. McAnlis, C. J. Love, and William T. Anderson.
The church had at the date of its organization secured a fine lot in the central part of the town and on its principal
street, Seventh Avenue, on which it shortly afterwards erected a substantial brick house of worship.
First Christian Church. - As early as the middle of 1884 a few persons in Beaver Falls who held the Christian belief
began to assemble themselves together in private houses for worship, and in the early part of 1886 efforts were
made to secure a regular organization. At this time occasional services were held in a small room on Seventh Avenue,
and the people obtained the occasional ministry of Elder William F. Cowden of Allegheny City, and Dr. I. A. Thayer
of New Castle.
In October, 1886, Elder C. G. Brelos, of Sharon, was called to this field by the missionary board of the first
district of western Pennsylvania. In 1887 the church obtained a charter, and the following trustees were chosen:
C. A. Barker of New Brighton, W. P. Barnum, and Geo. W. Casner. The present pastor is John R. McKee, and the membership
is about 250.
First German Evangelical "St. Paul's Congregation." - This church was organized in 1871 with about twenty
members. It has had two buildings; the first, a small structure, was sold, and the present one erected at a cost
of about $3000. The pastors from the beginning have been as follows: Otto von Zech, the founder, 1871-75; G. T.
Maller (supply), 1875-76; G. E. Sylla, 1876-77; John Muller, 1878-83; Otto von Zech, 1883-84; Wilh. Steinmann,
1884-85; M. F. Lauffer, 1886-87; C. J. Bohnen, in connection with New Castle, 1887-89; H. Wellhausen, 1889-90;
Ewald Hann, 1890; E. F. Steinhagen, 1891- 92; Paul Kummer, 1893-96; T. P. Hansen (died during the year), 1896;
and the present pastor, Johannes Scheer. This church has at present seventy ive supporting, and one hundred and
fifty communicant, members
St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church, Beaver Falls, is the seventh Episcopal church in Beaver County, and was
organized October 31, 1870. While the youngest Episcopal organization in Beaver County, St. Mary's is the largest,
having a confirmed membership, in 1904, of 281. This church has been served by the following rectors: Rev. Henry
Genever; Rev. Charles N. Spalding, D.D.; Rev. Thomas W. Martin; Rev. Samuel Edson; Rev. Hugh Q. Miller; Rev. H.
J. Beagen; and the present incumbent, the Rev. Amos Bannister, who took charge of the parish August 30, 1893.
St. Mary's Catholic (German) Church. - The few German families who located themselves at Beaver Falls in early
days were obliged to content themselves with the English services at St. Joseph's Church, New Brighton, or to travel
to Rochester. They finally determined to build a church for themselves. By an independent movement they purchased
a site, and erected a frame church, 60 x 36 feet, which they furnished very neatly, and which was dedicated by
Bishop Domenec, July 4, 1872. Owing to the shutting down of the cutlery works, in which most of the members of
this church found employment, they had at first a hard struggle, and did not obtain a pastor for two years. But
the earnest efforts of the leaders, such as s John Paff, John Ebner, Joseph Daibler, John Anders, John Rebeske,
and others like minded, tided the congregation over the hard times, and the church became prosperous. A brick parsonage
was erected, and the membership was enlarged and encouraged. The congregation was at first under the care of the
Carmelite fathers, one of whom, Father F. Otto, O. C. C., came to the field occasionally as a missionary. The first
regular pastor was Father Herman Joseph Frieling, who was, after long service, followed by the present pastor,
Father J. M. Wertz.
In 1896 the present noble church building was erected at a cost, with the interior furnishings, which are very
fine, of about $35,000; and, in 1901, an annex was made to the parsonage costing $3797. The present membership
is principally composed of German and English families, which number 172; and in addition there are about 100 Polish,
15 Slav, 15 Hungarian, and 30 Italian families i all, 332 families, estimated to give to the parish the care of
over 1600 souls.
United German Evangelical Protestant Church. - In 1871 a few persons met for the purpose of holding a Sunday school
in the old public school building on the lower end of Seventh Avenue, Beaver Falls, and finally associated themselves
together as members of a congregation. For some time they held services in the buildings of other congregations,
and finally bought at Seventh Avenue and Ninth Street a dwelling house, which they remodeled into a church. The
panic of 1873 followed closely, and the congregation were compelled to sell this property, the proceeds of the
sale being generously devoted to help other struggling churches, and for a time the church disbanded.
July 15, 1888, the following persons came together in order to reorganize the United German Evangelical Protestant
Congregation: George Schmidt, Fred. Mix, Fritz Belke, M. Steinbrecher, Mrs. K. Selig, George M. Selig, Christ.
Sauer, George Heineman, William Damasky. John O. Schmidt, John E. Miller, Christ. Wm. Reich, George H. Gerber,
K. Muny, Christ. Holk, Henry Bimber, Fred. Schmidt, George Burham, Robt. Jahrman, William Damn, John Jung, John
M. Eppler, Fred. Dressler, J. H. Schindehutte, and Ernst Dunkel.
George Schmidt was made president, and M. Steinbrecher, secretary pro tem. July 22d a committee was appointed to
provide quarters for preaching services and Sunday school, and soon after a lot was bought for $r000 at the corner
of Fourth Avenue and Vine Street. Here in 1890 a neat frame church was built, which cost in all about $4500.
The list of pastors is as follows: Pastor Firgau, 1888-89; Frederick Furst, 1889-90 Pastor Bauer, several months
in 1891; H. Fuchs, August, 1891-93; Pastor Neuman, several months in 1893; Johann Schoenwandt, July, 1893-1900;
Michael Orend, 1901-02; the present pastor being Rev. Paul Reikow. The membership of the church is at present forty.
Hebrew Congregation. - This congregation was originally organized in New Brighton, about forty years ago, by Raphael
Steinfeld of that place. It has been identified with Beaver Falls for about twenty five years, but the membership
has been drawn from other places, as New Brighton, Rochester, Beaver, and even New Castle. The synagogue is what
was formerly known as Masonic Hall. The congregation has never had a regular rabbi, but has depended upon teachers
and readers. Raphael Steinfeld was, however, a regularly ordained rabbi, made so in Europe, and those who have
served the people are called rabbis. Of these we have only learned the name of Rabbi Wilkofsky, and the present
minister, Rabbi Greene. There are now about twenty five members of the congregation.
There is a Jewish cemetery in New Brighton called the Tree of Life, the ground for which was donated to the cemetery
association by Raphael Steinfeld. This cemetery is used by the Hebrews of Beaver and Lawrence counties.
Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church, of Beaver Falls, was organized on Trinity Sunday, June 20, 1886. This congregation
was organized to supply the needs of the English speaking Lutherans of Beaver Falls.
The Rev. J. W. Myers was elected the first pastor, and it was under his care and guidance that the congregation
was organized. There were twenty five charter members. A charter was secured in 1887. The first communion was celebrated,
July 18, 1886. The first services were held in the W. C. T. U. rooms on Seventh Avenue. Afterwards services were
held in the German Methodist (Evangelical Association) Church, corner Fourth Avenue and Thirteenth Street, until
the completion of the present church building, corner Fourth Avenue and Eleventh Street. This building, a frame
3o x 46 feet, and with a seating capacity of two hundred, was first occupied and dedicated on Trinity Sunday, '887.
The basement is used as a Sunday school room, and for mid week services. The present membership of the church is
145, and of the Sunday school, 190. The congregation also owns a frame parsonage of eight rooms on Fourth Avenue,
just in the rear of the church building. The value of the church property, including the parsonage, is $8000. The
pastors of the congregation have been as follows: J. W. Myers, 1886; J. Howe Delo, 1888; J. Sarver, 1891; J. C.
N. Park, 1894; C. Theodore Benze, 1897; John A. Zundel, 1898, the latter still in charge.
Immanuel's Church of the Evangelical Association. - Rev. L. Scheuermann, who started this church, began to preach
in Beaver Falls on Sunday afternoons in June, 1876, in a hall above a saloon. Some accessions to the congregation
were secured and the movement was prospering when, through the opposition of certain persons, the hall was closed
to them. The English Methodists then opened the basement of their church for their use, prayer meeting was held,
and, with the aid of brethren from Rochester, the work was continued. The formal organization may be dated from
1877, with William Marx, class leader and Sunday school superintendent; and C. Von Moos, exhorter. A. Kunigunde
Herwig, Elis. Marx, Anna Hennig, Christ. Startz, Clara A. Dreher, and brother and sister Meckelburg were some of
its first members. The following ministers have served in this charge: Rev. L. Scheuermann, 1876-77; Rev. Theo.
Suhr, 1878-80; Rev. Geo. Goetz, 1880-02; Rev. J. Vogel, 1882-83; Rev. L. Pfeiffer, 1883-84; Rev. J. G. Ziegler,
1884-85; Rev. C. Wohlgemuth, 1885-87; Rev. J. H. Huebner, 1887-88; Rev. A. H. Wendt, 1888-89; Rev. C. W. Neuendorf,
1889-91; Rev. E. W. Yaecker, 1891-93; Rev J Finkbeiner, 1894-96; Rev. J. Hoffmann, 1897-99; Rev. Chas. Holliger,
1899-1900; Rev. Geo. W. Miller, 1900-01; Rev. J. Hoffman, 1901-03. Rev. J. Wahl is now pastor of this charge. A
small frame church building was erected by Rev. Th Suhr in 1878, at a cost of $1500The present membership is fifty
The First Baptist Church of Beaver Falls was constituted February 21, 1883, in the old brick schoolhouse at the
corner of Eighth Street and Seventh Avenue, Rev. M. B. Sloan of Beaver acting as moderator, and George W. Yoho
The following persons were constituent members:
S. H. Myers, L. M. Guy, William Mellon, George W. Yoho, Richard Barton, Henry J. Lonkert, Richard Hemphill, John
A. Mellon, W. J. Pierce, William Coulter, W. D. Fisher, S. K. Humes, and William T. Canes; Alice P. Humes, Pamelia
Coulter, Anna Mellon, Nannie Crabb, Lizzie Myers, Elizabeth Pierce, Mary A. Guy, Mary J. Mellon, Mary E. Jackson,
Elizabeth Barton, Emily Christy, Mary E. Lonkert, Maria M. Bennett, Mrs. raiser, Tillie Kaiser, Ella L Carnes,
E. J. Dean, Isabella Lancaster and Susan Thompson.
The membership on July 1, 1903, was 14o, at which time the pastor and officers were as follows: Rev. W. H. H. McKinney,
pastor; Rev. M. B. Sloan, clerk; Miss Edith Pierce, treasurer; George W. Mitchell, James N. Dunlap, George Lowry,
trustees; G. W. Mitchell, H. O. Craighead, and S. K. Humes, deacons; H. O. Craighead, superintendent of Bible School;
superintendent of the Twenty fourth Mission Bible School, Miss Edna Pierce.
The church owns a valuable lot the corner of Sixth Avenue and Seventh Street, on which there is situated a brick
church edifice with a seating capacity of 250.
United Brethren in Christ Mission was opened June 2, 1901, in Fox's Hall, corner of Third Avenue and Eighth Street.
Previous to this, Mrs. Mary J. Campbell and members of her family had made arrangements with Rev. J. J. Funk of
Industry to preach. At this meeting, June 2d, there were twelve persons present. Following this, services were
held every Sabbath afternoon at three o'clock. June 23d, a finance committee was appointed, consisting of D. A.
Messner, president; F. Y. Addis, secretary; and Thomas Campbell, treasurer. The meetings in Fox's Hall were continued
until September 8, 1901, when the hall at 1821 Seventh Avenue was opened. Rev. Mr Funk preached twice in this place
before the annual conference which met in Coalport, Pa., made Beaver Falls a mission station, and appointed Rev.
J. R. King pastor. Mr. King, with his wife, had been superintending the mission work in Africa.
The church was formally organized, January 12, 1902, with Mr. King, pastor In the fall of 1902 Mr. King returned
to Africa to resume his work, and Rev. C. W. Hutsler was appointed pastor of the church. The present membership
is about thirty.
The first annual report of the public schools of Beaver Falls was made in 1867. The old two room schoolhouse
on Seventh Avenue was the only building owned by the district until 1872, when the Eleventh Street or Central building
was erected, containing ten school rooms and a public hall. In 1875 this hall was divided, making two more school
rooms, which the increased attendance demanded. In 1880 the Seventeenth Street building, with eight rooms, was
erected, and, two years later, the Fifth Street building. By 1884 the increase was such as to require a class room
for the relief of the grammar department, and one was provided in the Eleventh Street school, and a year later
assistant teachers were employed in the first primary rooms of Eleventh and Seventeenth Street schools. In 1887
two more rooms were provided; and, in 1888, the Eighth Avenue building, with eight school rooms, was erected. The
Fifth Avenue building, with eight rooms, was erected in 1898, and all the schools have now full day sessions. The
High School, which was the first established in Beaver County, is in the Eleventh Street or Central school building.
Its first commencement exercises were held May 20, 1879. The estimated value of the school property of Beaver Falls
The following is a list of the superintendents of the schools since their gradation: Miss Margaret Foulk, 1872-73;
Rebecca Forbes, 1873-75; V. B. Baker, 1875-77; M. L. Knight, 187789; J. M. Reed, 1889-96; J. Y. McKinney, 1896-97;
C. J. Boak, 1897-1902; Edward Maguire, 1902-04.
The public schools of Beaver Falls rank very high in the estimation of educators, and are the just pride of its
Geneva College belongs to the borough of College Hill, in connection with which its history is given, but it is
popularly spoken of as belonging to Beaver Falls, and in reality is a part of the educational equipment of that
Two excellent commercial colleges are here also, viz., Butcher's Business College and Rand's Business College.
The Young Men's Christian Association was first represented in Beaver Falls by an organization which was effected
about 1878, but which did not long continue. On the 29th of June, 1886, a new organization was effected, the incorporators,
who were also the first board of managers, consisting of S. D. Hubbard, Robert J. Jamison, J. A. Millan, F. F.
Brierly, J. F. Kurtz, Prof. E. P. Thompson, Dr. H. C. Watson, H. W. Reeves, Ernest Mayer, W. H. Chandley, and A.
P. Bryson; with the following officers: F. F. Brierly, president; Ernest Mayer, vice president; Prof. E. P. Thompson,
recording secretary; Lyman R. Swett, secretary; and A. P. Bryson, treasurer. For the first three months its meetings
were held in the city council chamber, when commodious quarters were secured in the Surls Block, corner of Seventh
Avenue and Thirteenth Street. This organization did a good work, but finally went the way of its predecessor.
The present Young Men's Christian Association of Beaver Falls, Pa., had its inception as a section of the State
organization in October, 1902. Two rooms over 1224 Seventh Avenue were rented and fitted up as a reading and game
room. In July, 1902, a Board of Directors was formed and organized by electing Joseph W. Knott, president; J. C.
Brittain, recording secretary; and W. T. Reeder, treasurer. At a meeting of the directors, held August 18, 1902,
Nathaniel I. Gordon of Jamestown, N. Y., was called to the office of general secretary, and assumed the duties
of that office, September 1, 1902. At the same time, additional rooms were engaged over 1222 and 1224 Seventh Avenue.
A charter was granted the Association on April 1, 1903. In the charter the following were named as trustees: J.
F. Merriman, H. W. Reeves, John A. Campbell, F. F. Brierly, R. M. Downie, M. L. Knight; and directors: J. W. Knott,
J. C. Brittain, J. F. Merriman, Frank B Bruce, J. L. Kerr, Thos. Stenhouse, W. J. Dunlap, I. N. Mason, J. H. Ohnsman,
W. T. Reeder, C. M. Emmons, Chas. N. Ramsey, Geo. W. Johnson, Robert Pearce, and Frank W. Richter. The directors
organized by electing J. W. Knott, president; Thos. Stenhouse, 1st vice president; J. L. Kerr, 2d vice president;
J. C. Brittain, recording secretary; and W. T. Reeder, treasurer. The Association has now 112 members.
The Ladies Auxiliary is composed of thirty members, with Mrs. H. W. Reeves, president; and Mrs. Chas. M. Emmons,
secretary and treasurer.
Harmony Chapter, No. 206, R. A. M., organized and chartered in 1870; meets in Masonic Building; Beaver Valley
Lodge, No. 478, F. and A. M., organized and chartered in 1870, meets in Masonic Building; Rising Star Encampment,
No. 264, I. O. O. F., organized December 10, 1883, meets in Lyceum Hall. Beaver Falls Lodge, No. 758, I. O. O.
F., organized March 13, 1871, meets in Hanauer's Hall; Valley Echo Lodge, No. 622, I. O. O. F., chartered January
25, 1868, meets in Mechanics Hall; Beaver Valley Post, No. 164, G. A. R., Department of Pennsylvania, chartered
April 8, 1880, meets in Dawson's Hall; Encampment No. 4, Union Veteran Legion, chartered December 2, 1885, meets
in Hanauer's Hall; Beaver Valley Camp, No. 71, Pa. Div. S. V., U. S. A., chartered August 5, 1885, now defunct.
Beaver Falls Lodge, No. 10, I. O. O. F., meets in Martsolf Block; Beaver Falls Circle, No. 23, P. H. C., Ewing's
Hall; Beaver Falls Turn Verein, organized August 2, 1871, has its own building; Myrtle Council, No. 121, N. U.,
chartered January 5, 1885; Schiller Grove, No. 8, U. A. O. D., chartered August 22, 1880, Lyceum Hall; the Fraternal
Mystic Circle, chartered July 21, 1886, Hanauer's Hall; Beaver Falls Council, No. 311, R. A., organized April 18,
1879, Ewing's Hall; Mechanics Lodge, No. 28, A. O. U. W., organized September 19, 1872, Lyceum Hall.
Beaver Falls Council, No. 48, Jr. O. U. A. M., chartered August 11, 1884, Ewing's Hall; Concord Lodge, No. 75,
A. O. U. W., organized May 28, 1874, consolidated with Mechanics Lodge, No. 28, in January of 1901; Lone Rock Lodge,
No. 222, K. of P., chartered December 7, 1869, Hanauer's Hall; Malvina Lodge, No. 18, D. of R., organized October
2, 1869, Hanauer's Hall; the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association, St. Mary's Branch, No. 31, St. Mary's Hall; Beaver
Falls Castle, No. 299, K. of G. E., Martsolf Hall; Knights of Malta, organized in 1891, Ewing's Hall; Lawton Camp,
No. 7397, Modern Woodmen of the World, Fox Hall.
Walnut Camp, No. 2, Woodmen of the World, Fox Hall; Beaver Falls Tent, No. 53, Knights of the Maccabees, Fox Hall;
Beaver Valley Lodge, No. 1288, Knights and Ladies of Honor, Fox Hall; Home Guards of America, Ewing's Hall; Beaver
Falls Lodge, No. 348, B. P. O. E., Hanauer's Hall; Sons of St. George, Dawson's Hall; First German Sick Benefit
Society, Hanauer's Hall; Beaver Falls Circle, No. 1, U. A. O. D., Hanauer's Hall; Social Grove, No. 9, U. A. O.
D., Hanauer's Hall; Valley Falls Council, No. 6, Loyal Additional Benefit Association, Martsolf Block; Mound Valley
Lodge, No. 733, I. O. G. T., Martsolf Block; Falls City Council, No. 385, O. U. A. M., Ewing's Hall; William McKinley
Commandery, No. 311, Ancient and Ill., K. of M., Ewing's Hall; Honor Council No. 101, American Legion of Honor.
Beaver Falls has several good hotels. These are: the Seventh Avenue Hotel, E. Fred Hughes and Robert L. Lowe,
proprietors; Grand Hotel, William Boyle; Central, John M. Magaw; Hotel Anderson, Frank Macdonald; Windsor, Frank
Teufel; and the Book House, John J. Patterson.
There are two theaters, the Sixth Avenue and the Lyceum.
Beaver Falls maintains a very efficient fire department. There are three companies - fifty volunteers and three
paid men. The apparatus consists of one Silbsy fire-engine, one combination hose-wagon, one ladder-truck, and four
hose-reels, and there are five head of horses to haul these. The three stations of the department are located as
follows: No. 1, at Seventh Avenue and Eleventh Street; No. 2, at Twenty fourth Street and Eighth Avenue; and No.
3 at Eighteenth Street and Twelfth Avenue.
Newspaper Press. - Mention of the excellent local newspapers will be found in the chapter of this work devoted
to the general history of the press in the county.
POSTOFFICE AND POPULATION
The post office at what is now Beaver Falls was first known as Brighton. It was established in 1818 and discontinued,
April 22, 1857. During this period the postmasters, with the dates of their service, were as follows: John Dickey,
April 11, 1818; David Hoopes, May 17, 1821; James Patterson, December 26, 1832; Archibald Robertson, February 8,
1843; Matthew H. Robertson, December 19, 1850; James B. McCallan, June 19, 1856. Since the re-establishment of
the office in 1867 under the name of Beaver Falls, the following have served: Edward A. Noble, July 3, 1867; Milo
A. Townsend, February 11, 1869; James L. B. Dawson, December 10, 1872; Samuel S. McFerran, January 14, 1881; Win.
H. Grim, February 28, 1889; Harry F. Hawkins, February 6, 1893-.
By the United States Census for 1900 the population of Beaver Falls was 10,054.