This township is centrally located north of the Ohio River, and is bounded on the north by Chippewa and Patterson
townships, on the west by Ohio and Industry townships, on the south by Industry and Borough townships and the borough
of Beaver, and on the east by Bridgewater and Ballston boroughs.
Its streams are Brady's Run, which flows through its northern part and empties into the Big Beaver below Faliston;
and Two Mile, Four Mile, and Six Mile runs, flowing through its central and western sections and finally emptying
into the Ohio River. These streams are small, but one, at least, has some historic interest, being connected with
the fame of the noted Indian scout, Captain Samuel Brady, and his exploits. This township was formed, with others,
in 1816, from parts of South Beaver and Ohio townships. Its surface is generally hilly, and abundance of pure coal
is found in several parts, with good limestone and sandstone, some quarries of the latter yielding a beautiful
building stone. Near the mouth of Brady's Run John Dickey put down, some years ago, a salt well, and salt was manufactured
here for a long time by him. Some show of oil was also obtained but the well was never pumped.
The population of Brighton township, as shown by the United States Census for 1890, was 773, and for 1900 it was
687. The report of the Secretary of Internal Affairs for 1900 makes the following showing for the township: Taxables,
279; number of acres of cleared land, 8323; timber land, 3014; value of all real estate, $508,628; real estate
exempt from taxation, $6700; real estate taxable, $501,928.
Through this township passed the celebrated Indian path known as the "Tuscarawas Trail," which is now
almost identical with one of the main highways of the county.