Daugherty was formed from Pulaski township, January 27, 1894. It is the most recent of the township divisions
of the county. It is surrounded by the following townships starting with the north side, North Sewickley, New Sewickley,
Rochester, and Pulaski; with the Beaver River on its northwestern corner. Blockhouse Run is the only stream of
any consequence which rises within its limits. This rises in its eastern and northern parts, and flows out on its
western side into Pulaski township. The surface is quite irregular and the soil fairly good. Sandstone and limestone
are found in most parts of the township, and excellent coal is mined in many places. By the United States Census
of 1900 its population was 533. The report of the Secretary of Internal Affairs of the State for the same year
gives the following showing for Daugherty: Taxables, 229; acres of cleared land, 4802; of timber land, 1127; value
of all real estate, $338,527; real estate exempt from taxation, $13,600; real estate taxable, $3 2 4, 9 27.
There are several good common schools in the township, and near its southeastern corner is the small Presbyterian
Church whose history follows:
Oak Grove Presbyterian Church. - At an adjourned meeting of the Presbytery of Allegheny held at Enasworth, Pa,
October 6, 1890, a petition, signed by seventy one residents of New Sewickley and Pulaski townships, Beaver County,
Pa., was presented asking for the organization of a Presbyterian church at a place called Oak Grove in New Sewickley
township, on the Darlington Road, about four miles from New Brighton and the same distance from Rochester. Commissioners
from the petitioners, namely, Messrs. Charles J. Bonzo and Leander McCauley, having been heard and the pastors
of the neighboring churches having expressed their approval, the petition was granted.
Rev. J. H. Bausman, Rev. W. J. McCrory, Rev. J. K. McKallip, Rev. R. L. Smith, and elders D. Singleton, J. R. Bruce,
James Manor, and Andrew McCullough were appointed a committee to organize a church, if the way should be clear
at their earliest convenience.
The committee organized the church, October 18, 189o. The sermon was preached by Rev. R. L. Smith. Nine members
were received by letter from the Rochester Presbyterian Church, and eleven on profession of their faith, one of
whom was baptized.
It was ordered that the name of the church should be the "Oak Grove Presbyterian Church."
Leander McCauley and Fred W. Rader were elected ruling elders. Mr. Rader was ordained and then both were installed,
Mr. McCauley having been an elder in another church. Rev. W. J. McCrory delivered the charge to the elders, and
Rev. J. H. Bausman charged the people.
A house of worship, which had been erected at a cost of $1270.73 by the aforesaid petitioners just prior to the
organization of the church, was dedicated to the worship of God, October 19, 189o. The church was incorporated
and a charter secured. The first board of trustees were Charles J. Bonzo, Peter Rader, Richard Cable, McPherson
Brewer, and Joseph Wallace. The congregation was statedly supplied by Rev. W. J. McCrory, pastor of Bridgewater
Presbyterian Church, who preached in the afternoon every alternate Sunday.
In 1890 dissension arose in the church over some doctrinal matters. Rev. W. J. McCrory withdrew from the Presbyterian
body, taking with him about half of the membership of Oak Grove Church, who started an independent organization.
At a meeting of the Presbytery of Allegheny, held in Westminster Church, Allegheny, Pa., January 9, 1893, Mr. McCrory
publicly renounced the authority of the Presbyterian Church, and a committee which had been in charge of the congregation
from the beginning of the trouble, called a meeting of the people for January 24, 1893, with a view of reorganizing
the church. At this and subsequent meetings the reorganization was effected, the final meeting being held April
14, 1894, when John A. Mellon and Elias Goehring were chosen elders; and a board of trustees was elected consisting
of McPherson Brewer, Charles J. Bonzo, Richard Cable, John A. Mellon, and William Dun.
Following the reorganization, Rev. M. A. Parkinson of Beaver Falls preached one sermon on alternate Sundays during
April, May, June, and July of 1893, and Rev. C. W. Cable of Rochester conducted one service on alternate Sundays
for the remainder of the year of 1893. The Rev. T. B. Anderson, D.D. of Rochester rendered a similar service during
the first quarter of 1894, and by Presbyterial and congregational action has since for the greater part of the
time, been in charge of the church in connection with his church at Rochester.'
The Roman Catholic Cemetery, popularly known as Daugherty's, is in this township. It is located at the junction
of the Harmony and Three Degree roads, equidistant about two miles from Rochester and New Brighton. This was the
first Roman Catholic cemetery within the limits of Beaver County. For sixty years it was the only place of burial
for Catholics in the county, except a small graveyard at the old church in Beaver, which since 1898 has been disused
and the bodies that were buried there removed. As stated in the chapter on the religious history of the county,
this cemetery was started about 18o by Edward Daugherty, who donated about half an acre of ground on his farm to
the Catholics to be a burial place forever. Manasseh Daugherty, a brother of Edward, had been killed in the raising
of a barn, and buried on Edward's farm. This prompted the gift of the spot for the purpose named.
In 1844 a deed for this half acre of ground was made by the heirs of Edward Daugherty to Michael O'Connor, Bishop
of Pittsburg, there having been previously no formal conveyance of the property made.
In 1884 an effort was made by some of the members of the congregations of SS. Peter and Paul of Beaver and St.
Cecilia of Rochester to abandon this cemetery and locate one nearer Rochester. This was felt to be necessary on
account of the fact that the old burial ground was so nearly filled up. Thereupon Edward Black Daugherty, Esq.,
of Beaver, a grandson of the original donator, gave a large piece of land adjoining for an annex to the cemetery,
deeding the same to the two congregations. In 1885 the whole was enclosed by a substantial fence and the property
is now much improved, but only the old portion has been dedicated and made consecrated ground. The cemetery is
now under the control of St. Cecilia parish. Two priests are buried here; one, Father James Reid, who died July
14, 1868. After the burning of the Beaver church in April, 1898, his body was removed from the churchyard there
and interred at
The data for the above sketch were furnished by Rev. T. B. Anderson. D.D. Daugherty's. The other is Father F. A.
Steffen, a young priest who died of the smallpox at Rochester, while pastor of St. Cecilia, which was his first
charge. There are now other Catholic burial grounds in the county, but many of the older Catholic families still
continue to bury their dead at Daugherty's cemetery.
Being of such recent birth Daugherty township has not much history other than that which it has had as a part of
the townships to which its territory formerly belonged.