This township is situated in the southeast corner of the county, and on the east side of the Ohio River. It
is bounded on the north by New Sewickley township, west by the river and Harmony township, east by Butler and Allegheny
counties, and south by Allegheny County and Harmony township. The township was formed at the April Sessions of
the Court of Beaver County, 1827.
This township is deficient in streams of importance, but has the Ohio on its western side and the Big Sewickley
Creek on the south, a branch of the latter heading within the township. Tevebaugh Run flows through it and empties
into the Ohio just below Baden station. The soil is good and is underlaid by rich deposits of coal, red clay, and
building stone. There are several hamlets in the township, as Wall Rose in the southeastern part, and Remington
on the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad. The latter was until within a recent period a station of that
road, but is so no longer. Wall Rose has a post office, which was established in 1863. Following is a list of the
postmasters: Jacob Breitenstein, April 27, 1863; Marry Breitenstein, November 2, 1871; J. C. McCormick, April 5,
1872; C. P. McKee, September 15, 1873; Henry Gross, November 25, 1884; Adam Stroble, May 27, 1898; William A. Stroble,
August 26, 1898; Getlie J. Emerick, January 31, 1900.
There is here a German Evangelical church incorporated April 5, 1884, by Henry Gross, A. Haag, John Heil, B. Yeager,
Andrew Rosenbaum, and Philip Eisenhuth.
Brown's post office is in the northern part of this township. It was established in 1878, and the postmasters have
been as follows: Roger McDonald, June 24, 1878; George Keenan, October 20, 1881; Hugh Reed, May 9, 1883; Ann Jane
Reed, October 5, 1888; Anthony Boehm, December 7, 1898; John T. Williams, February 1, 1902.
Concord Presbyterian Church is in this township, a few miles back of Freedom. It was incorporated, November 2,
1885, by James J. McElhaney, William H. Morgan, Henry Snyder, Enos Smith, and Robert Baker. In this year its old
house of worship, a frame building which had stood many years, was replaced by a new structure, also frame. The
date of the organization of this church is uncertain, but was probably about 1840. We have been unable to learn
the names of the ministers who have served this congregation from the first, but one of the longest in the field
was the Rev. John Brown, whose name occurs in the minutes of the session as early as 1862, and who was released
from the charge in July, 1876. In the same month and year fifty five members were transferred from Concord to Pleasant
Hill Church. Rev. B. O. Junkin became supply in 1876, and in 1889 Rev. Robert Laird Smith was called as pastor.
He remained until April, 1901; and Rev. Percy H. Gordon assumed charge, September 26th of that year. December 21,
1902, Mr. Gordon was released in order to give full time to the church at Freedom.
Rehoboth Lutheran Church. - This church is in Economy township, about three miles back of Freedom. At the urgent
request of Mr. G. Cochran Minis, now deceased, Dr. W. A. Passavant was prevailed upon to preach in the Rehoboth
Church, which had been abandoned by reason of the division of the United Presbyterian congregation to which the
church belonged. Once dedicated to the service of God, the building had fallen into disuse as a shelter for the
sheep of the Lord's pasture and had been turned into a shelter for the sheep of man. Kind and willing hands thoroughly
cleansed the old structure, and sometime during the year 1875 Dr. Passavant again restored it to its normal uses,
and the sound of the gospel was again heard within its walls. In 1876 the church and cemetery were bought from
the United Presbyterians for the sum of $200, and a congregation organized, the date not having been preserved.
Doctor Passavant was followed in the charge by his son William, and he by R. Morris Smith, the present pastor.
St. John the Baptist's Roman Catholic Church. - This little church is in Economy township, about three miles
back of Baden. It was built in 1871 by about a dozen farmers, who had formerly heard Mass at Rochester, and is
a neat frame structure about 25 x 50 feet. The pastor of the church at Rochester has always had charge of the congregation.
The people are all farmers.
Conway, formerly Agnew, post office is at Conway station. For reference to this office and to the great Conway
freight yards, see Conway borough.
In 1900 Economy township, as shown by the United States Census, had a population of 1062. According to the report
of the Secretary of Internal Affairs, it had 383 taxables, 8558 acres of cleared land, and 2961 acres of timber
land. The total value of its real estate was $542,889. Of this amount $10,700 was real estate exempt from taxation,
and $532,189 was real estate taxable.