Industry township is bounded by Ohio and Brighton townships on the north and west and by the Ohio River on the
south and east. It is drained by Six Mile and Wolf runs, two small streams which put into the Ohio near each other.
This township was formed February 7, 1856, out of Industry election district of Brighton and Ohio townships (see
The surface of the township is irregular, but it has a good soil and is well underlaid by coal of a fine quality,
and by limestone and sandstone, which have been extensively mined and quarried. At the village of Industry is a
salt well 800 feet deep, which was originally bored for oil, a show of which and some gas were obtained. Salt was
manufactured from the water from this well for some years at the rate of about ten barrels a day, twenty barrels
of the water making one of salt.
In 1900 Industry township had 268 taxables, 15,603 acres of cleared land, 2093 acres of timber land, and real estate
amounting to $293,185. The latter was divided into real estate taxable $285,235; and real estate exempt from taxation,
In 1900 the population by the United States Census was 664.
VILLAGE OF INDUSTRY
This is the only village in the township. It is situated on the north bank of the Ohio River, about seven miles
from Beaver, and is a station on the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railway. The village of Industry dates its existence
from September 14, 1836, it having been laid out at that time by William McCallister, but a post office was established
at this point in 1833. The postmasters have been as follows:
Thomas McCreery, appointed April 16, 1833; William Cairns, May 9, 1836; Jacob Ross, Aug. 1, 1840; Hiram Cornell,
July 31, 1845; Jacob Ross, Nov. 8, 1848; Jacob Russell, May 27, 1836; Adam Montgomery, Feb. 26, 1858; Lavinia J.
Riley, July 23, 1861; Jane Jackman, May 31, 1878; Levi Barnes, Nov. to, 1885; Wilber F. Todd, April 26, 1889; Thomas
J. Knight, July 24, 1893; and George A. Clear, June 14, 1897.
Abort the middle of the last century a saw mill was built here. This was bought in 1869 by the Baker Bros., who
also established here a flouring mill. In 1872 George Engle became a partner in the business, and in 1883 the sole
The United Brethren in Christ Church of Industry was organized in 1824 by Rev. Henry Purdy, with the following
charter members: Mr. and Mrs. Biddle, Mr. and Mrs. John Knight, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Neville, Mr. and Mrs. John
Chamberlain, Mr. and Mrs. George Engle, and Mrs. John Cotton. Two church buildings have been erected, cost unknown;
one in 1849 and one in 1898.
Industry was formerly connected with the Muskingum Conference (Ohio). Among the ministers of this conference
who have at various times served the church here were the following:
A. Biddle, John McGaw, Jos. Parlson, E. Sluts, A. Brazee, John Todd, John Swihart, William Turner, ___ Legget,
George Fast, M. L. Spangler, and William Neville, The class Ls now in Allegheny Conference. Ministers: E. B. Kephart
(now Bishop Kephart), John Stiner, B. F. Booth, W. R. Funk, ___ Zuck, William Truxal, ___ Fulton, George Noden,
James Shearer, George Raver, ___ Barnhart, R. R. Funk, ___ Miller, ___ Fisher. Three of these were from the Industry
class, viz., A. Biddle, John Todd and William Neville. They have labored effectively in various fields in Ohio
The Presbyterian Church of Industry was organized October 16, i865, with seventeen members, by a committee of the
Presbytery of Allegheny. The membership was drawn principally from the Bethlehem Church of the south side. The
first elders were John Jackman and J. W. Engle. In 1870 a frame church building, 36 x 50 feet, was erected at a
cost of $2600. The pastors from the beginning have been M. L. Wortman, M. A. Parkinson, P. J. Cummings, i886; vacant,
1887-89; stated supply in 1890; Allan Krichbaum, 1891-93; vacant, 1894; T. Pliny Potts, 1895-1901; during 1903
the church at Industry is being served by M. M. Rogers, in connection with the congregations of Vanport and Bethlehem.
Oak Grove Union Chapel is in the northwestern corner of Industry township. The history of this chapel is as follows.
In 1899 a union Sunday school was organized in Todd's schoolhouse by A. E. Fox, who became its first superintendent.
The school increased in numbers and interest until it was felt by the people that they should have a larger building
and one suitable for church services. In March, 1900, a committee, consisting of Wm. Marx, M. F. Doughty, and Wm.
Moore, was appointed to try to raise funds sufficient to build a chapel. About $950 were raised, and at a meeting
of the Sunday school the members of the said committee were elected trustees and empowered to act as a building
committee to erect a chapel. The ground for the building was donated by T. J. Knight and M. F. Doughty from a purchase
which they had made for a cemetery. The work of building went forward with energy, the people doing all the excavating
and hauling free of charge, and the chapel was completed the mine year at a cost of about $1300.
Sunday school is held every Sunday, and preaching services whenever a minister can bed secured. There have preached
here since the chapel was erected the following ministers: Rev. Messrs. Funk, Miller, and Vondersmith of the United
Brethren Church; Potts and Allen, of the Presbyterian; Young and Davis, of the United Presbyterian; Bates, Fields,
and Dodds of the Christian; Smith and Grace of the r ree Methodist; and Brownell, of the Covenanter.
John Rising is superintendent of the school at present, and George Bilrgetts, M. F. Doughty, and William Moore
are the trustees. William Marx, one of the first trustees, died in the spring of 1901.
Oak Grove Cemetery was laid out by T. J. Knight and M. F. Doughty about the same time as the building of the above