History of Marion Township, Beaver County, Pa.
From: History of Beaver County Pennsylvania
and its Centennial Celebration
BY: Rev. Joseph H. Bausman, A. M.
Knickerbocker Press New York, 1904

MARION TOWNSHIP

Marion township is in the northeastern part of the county. It is bounded on the north by Franklin township, with the Conoquenessing separating the two, on the east by Jackson township in Butler County, on the south by New Sewickley, and on the west by North Sewickley in Beaver County. Brush Creek flows through it just within its western boundary. There are no other streams of importance in the township. In soil and geological characteristics it is much like its neighboring townships; good coal is mined in various places, and there are the usual limestone, sandstone, and slate formations common to the region round about.

In 1900 Marion township had 131 taxables; 4911 acres of cleared land; 1596 acres of timber land; a total value of real estate amounting to $235,6o8; real estate exempt from taxation, $1910; real estate taxable, $233,698.

This township was formed, February 6, 1845, out of the territory of North Sewickley township. Its population by the United States Census of 1890 was 413; by that of 1900, 380.

There is no town or village in this small division of the county. Barrisville post office was established in 1872. The following persons have held it:

Enoch W. Barris, July 3, 1872; Mrs. Anna Phillips, Nov. 3, 1882; it was discontinued Sept. 12, 1883, and re-established March 11, 1884, with John S. Vanarsdale in charge; Eli U. McDanel, March 24, 1885; Mary E. McDanel, June 26, 1889; Jane E. Homer, Feb. 25, 1896; Robert D. Caldwell, July 1, 1897; discontinued March 28, 1901.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


--
All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy