History of Moon Township, Beaver County, Pa.
From: History of Beaver County Pennsylvania
and its Centennial Celebration
BY: Rev. Joseph H. Bausman, A. M.
Knickerbocker Press New York, 1904
The territory of this township was, at the erection of the county, a part of one of the original townships.
In the remodeling of the township lines of the south side of the county, in 1812, the present Moon was one of the
four new townships formed. Its bounds include the northern half of what was in 'Boo First Moon. This township lies
in the northeastern corner of the south side, filling in the bend of the Ohio River, which sweeps around it in
a majestic curve, with Raccoon township, Independence, and Hopewell for its neighbors. The surface of Moon township
is generally hilly and its soil of a middling quality, mainly loam. There are no streams of importance within its
limits, but Raccoon Creek bounds it towards the west and separates it from the township of Raccoon. Besides this
there are a few small runs emptying into the Ohio, and it has the advantage of that great river along a good portion
of its domain.
North Branch Presbyterian Church. - This church is situated in the northeastern part of Moon township. It was started in 1833 as a branch of Mount Carmel Church in Hopewell township. Members of the latter living in Moon township, so far away from the house of worship, found it difficult to attend regularly, and the pastor came over and held services for them at Daniel Weigle's, the meetings being held in his house in the winter and in his barn in the summer. The congregation increased so rapidly that in 1834 a house of worship was erected on a lot donated by Mr. Weigle. In 1837 a regular congregational organization was effected. Among the first elders elected were John Douds, William McDonald, and Henry Reed. Soon after there were added to the bench John Carey, father of Daniel Carey, now of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Monaca, George Baker, and James Douds, son of John Douds. Among the first members of this congregation in addition to those named were William Irwin, his wife, and daughters, Mary and Ann, Thomas Hood and wife, John Hood and wife, Daniel Weigle, wife and son, Daniel, Mrs. Thomas Irwin, Mrs. John Weigle, John Landis and wife, Jacob Landis and wife, William Elliott and wife, Mrs. Jacob Baker, Samuel Use1ton and wife, Mrs. Philip Baker, Mrs. John Stewart, William Srodes, Mrs. John Braden, John McBriar and wife. Rev. J. D. Ray, the first pastor of North Branch, remained in charge until 1842. There have succeeded him Rev. Messrs. Hare, Henderson, Sr., Henderson, Jr., J. D. Hazlett, O. H. Rockwell, J. M. Smith, and P. J. Cummings, G. W. Shaffer, Hugh F. Earseman, Matthew Rutherford, John J. Srodes, and J. T. Hackett. The present pastor (1904) is Rev. P. J. Cummings.