CHURCHES AND SOCIETIES
The earliest Society of the Friends, or Quakers, at the Falls, was in Fallston, the meeting house being located
on the hillside, near the road leading from the river bank to the hill. After the separation, which occurred in
the twenties, the Orthodox Society had a house where J. F. Miner's residence now stands. It was used as a public
school building from 1849 to 1857, and after that it was occupied as a dwelling, and was afterwards burned. The
Hicksites had a brick meeting house on the site of the present office of the Standard Horse Nail Company, and it
was torn down to give place to the new building. Meetings had not been held for some years.
The First Presbyterian Church was organized in November, 1834, with M. F. Champlin and Robert Ferguson, ruling
elders; and William Cannon, treasurer; Rev. J. W. Johnston in charge, with Rev. T. E. Hughes, Moderator, who preached
the sermon. The original members were: Mr. and Mrs. M. F. Champlin, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ferguson, Mr. and Mrs.
Charles Lukens, Mr. and Mrs. James Patterson, John M. Lukens, Sarah Lukens, Samuel Vanemmon, Margaret Baker, Elizabeth
Kimberly, Sarah Patterson, Susan Maynard, Jane Seinor, Hannah Davis, Margaret Davis, Rachel Davis, James Cummings,
Maria Gould, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Cannon and Mrs. Eliza Corbus. Rev. H. H. Hays was called as pastor, June 22, 1835,
and served until March 5, 1836. May 27, 1836, Charles Lukens donated a lot on Broadway, now southeast corner Third
Avenue and Twelfth Street, on which a church building was erected. July 1, 1836, Rev. Aaron Williams was Moderator
of the session. He was installed pastor, October 5th, and retired October 19, 1840. Rev. Benjamin C. Critchlow
was elected pastor, June 17, 1841, and was installed October 5, 184i. He remained as pastor until December i4.
1874, when he requested a dissolution of the pastoral relation. The organization was chartered by the court, November
24, 1848, as the "First Presbyterian Church of New Brighton, Pa." In January, 1866, a new building was
formally proposed, and on May 2rst the committee reported that $28,000 had been subscribed. Work on the building
was begun, but for lack of funds was suspended until 1871, when it was completed at a cost of $42,466.37. July
13, 1873, Rev. Dunlop Moore, of Lurgan, Ireland, was called to the pastorate, and resigned January 19, 1892. October
24, 1892, Rev. S. H. Thompson, of St. Paul, Minn., was called. He resigned in 1897, and was succeeded by the present
pastor, Rev. Thomas W. Swan. The Sabbath school was organized by M. F. Champlin in 1829.
First M. E. Church. In 1836 a class of nine members met in the office of Isaac Walker, Justice of the Peace; and,
May 8, 1837, a Sunday school was organized, with James Langhead, superintendent, and twenty-nine pupils, the sessions
being held in the village schoolhouse. The church was organized in 1837-8 by Rev. Z. H. Coston, assisted by Jeremiah
Knox, Jr. The New Brighton members were Isaac Walker and wife, Thomas G. McCreary and wife, S. Dunlap and wife,
Mary Ferguson, Sr., Mary Ferguson, Jr., George Champion and wife, Mary A., Joseph, William, and Coston Champion,
F. D. Houlette and wife, W. O. Lourirnore and wife, James N. Bebout and wife, Thomas Devenney and wife, John Glass
and wife, J. M. Alexander and wife, Henry Young and wife, Isabel Seppy, Mary Brian, J. W. Thompson, Wm. Nichols
and wife, and James Langhead and wife; the Fallston members-Joseph McCreary and wife, John Mahon and wife, D. B.
Brown and wife, Robert Kelty and wife, Lydia Johnson, Susan Collins, Eliza James, Joseph McCreary, Jr., and John
Roberts; the Old Brighton members-John Baker and wife, Win. Clayton and wife, James C. Sims and wife, Joseph Clayton,
Margaret Sims, Hugh Woods and wife, Mrs. Ransom and Mrs. Large. A building was erected in 1838, now owned and occupied
by the A. M. E. Church. The present building was completed in 1819. Among the preachers who have served the congregation
are: Abner Jackson, Edward Burkett, Joshua Monroe, Wm. F. Lauck, G. D. Kinnear, D. R. Hawkins, George McCaskey,
W. Devenney, J. Dillon, W. P. Blackburn, H. D. Fisher, M. M. Rutter, James Beacom, S. Crouse, B. F. McMahon, T.
J. Higgins, A. J. Rich, W. B. Watkins, S. F. Jones, J. J. McIlyar, J. R. Mills, J. Henderson, J. L. Deens, E. M.
Wood, J. A. Swaney, M. McK. Garrett, John Conner, W. P. Turner, S. H. Nesbit, H. S. Free, J. B. Risk, Charles L.
E. Cartwright, J. B. Taylor, J. T. Pender, and A. J. Ashe. The Second M. E. Church was organized in 1860, with
Rev. R. T. Taylor, the first pastor, and J. M. Carr the second. In 1862 this society was consolidated with the
M. P. Church.
Associate Presbyterian. At the meeting of the Chartiers Presbytery of the Associate Presbyterian Church, November
4, 1801, a petition was received from this section asking for a supply of preaching. Rev. Thos. McClintock was
appointed to the field, and in July 1805, a preacher was assigned to Big Beaver, Little Beaver, and Darlington;
and, September 3, 1806, Rev. David Imbrie was settled pastor over this charge. Subsequently services were held
near the head of Crow's Run, later at Mr. Moore's and Mr. Sloan's by Rev. J. France, from 1820 or 1825, and ceased
1841. About 1830 the first house of public worship was built a short distance north of New Brighton, called New
Bethel. About 1844 Rev. B. F. Sawyer became pastor of the congregation and continued until 1858, when the union
of the Associate and the Associate Reformed Synods absorbed the principal part of the Seceder Church in the new
organization. A new house was erected in 1854 in New Brighton, and the name was changed to the New Brighton Congregation
of the Associate Presbyterian Church. A remnant of the congregation rejected the combination of 1858, and have
since kept up this organization; in August, 1898, securing Grace Chapel on Thirteenth Avenue. Rev. S. Ramsey is
The Methodist Protestant Church was organized in 1842, in the New Brighton Institute Hall, by Rev. Phineas Inskip
of Pittsburg, with twenty-five members, among whom were W. W. Willis, Eliza Willis, Hugh Robinson, Nancy Robinson,
B. Gray, J. R. Devenny, Esther Squire, James Coates, Melchoir Shuster, Sarah Shuster, Thomas Webster, Wm. Miller,
Milo Adams, Cynthia Adams, John T. Miller, Sophronia Miller, Hannah G. McCullough. Services had, however, been
held at different times for perhaps ten years previously. The first church building, a small frame one, was on
the corner of Fifth Avenue and Thirteenth Street, on land donated by Hugh Robinson. Here the society worshiped
for nearly twenty years. On March 7, 1860, a charter was presented and adopted, and the present building was begun
the following summer. The first floor was made ready for occupancy, September 4, 1861, when the annual conference
met in it. In 1863 the building was finished and dedicated. A parsonage was erected in 1887. The Sunday school
was organized in 1848 by Henry T. Layton and Henry T. Reeves. The following pastors have served the church: Revs.
Phineas Inskip, Piper, - Simpson, J. C. Hazlett, G. B. McElroy, N. Watson, R. T. Simonton, Wm. Reeves, - Dorsey,
A. Marple, Alex. Clark, David Jones, T. H. Colhouer, S. F. Crowther, A. F. Pierce, A. D. Brown, G. G. Conway, A.
L. Reynolds, G. B. Deakin, W. H. Gladden, A. T. Steele, and A. E. Fletcher.
Christ Episcopal Church was organized in 185o, and incorporated June 5, 1851, being an offspring from the old St.
Peter's Church of Fallston. The corner-stone of the present building was laid in 185r. The first service was conducted
in this building by Rev. W. H. Paddock, missionary in charge. The rectors have been: Revs. J. P. Taylor, William
Ely, C. H. VanDine, Charles N. Spaulding, Thomas W. Martin, John Loudon, Frederick Thompson, T. J. Danner, David
Jones, and A. D. Brown. The first vestrymen were: Benjamin Wilde, William Wilde, Edward Warner, Thomas Reno, Walter
Sorby, John King, George Jarner, and John Reno.
The Church of God was organized in 1857, through the agency of Elder Abram C. Rayson, with nine charter members.
About 1860 a brick schoolhouse on the present site of the church was bought and fitted up for church purposes at
a cost of $1000, and in 1881 the house was rebuilt at an expense of $1400, and was improved in 1899 to the extent
of $250. The pastors who have served the church are: Revs. Abram C. Rayson, J. M. Domer, John Hickernell, J. Glen,
Peter Loucks, M. Coats, J. S. McKee, it C. Pritts, J. C. Corke, G. J. Bartlebaugh, D. Wenty, J. Grimm, C. Criswell,
A. R. McKahan, W. H. H. McKelveen, C. H. Grove, J. W. Davis, W. J. Amsted, John W. Whistler, and W. S. Woods.
The United Presbyterian Church was the outgrowth of the union of the Associate and the Associate Reformed congregations,
about 1858. The two congregations worshipped as one in the unfinished house of the Associate congregation. January
1, 1863, Rev. J. D. Glenn began his pastorate, and was installed April 14th. In November, 1867, Rev. A. G. Wallace,
D.D., was called, and on the first of the following April began the pastoral care of the congregation. July 26,
1869, the Beaver Falls congregation was organized; and, August 19, 1870, the Oakland congregation, taking away
the families living in those places. Dr. Wallace closed his labors, May 1, 1884, and was succeeded by Rev. W. B.
Barr, who assumed his duties, April 8, 1885, and was installed July 14th following. Mr. Barr was succeeded by the
present pastor, Rev. R. L. Hay. The prayer-meeting dates from 1840, and the Sunday school began in the Associate
Reformed congregation in 1847-48, the pastor being superintendent. The first house of worship was on Tenth Street
and Eighth Avenue, which was abandoned in 1886, when the building on Third Avenue was occupied. The congregation
numbered 289. The Fallston Mission School, under the control of this church for eleven years, was organized January
r5, 1882, with Mr. Calhoon as superintendent. The chapel in which the school meets was built in the summer of 1891.
St. Joseph's R. C. Church. April 14, 1863, the Catholics living in New Brighton bought the brick church owned
by the United Presbyterians for $5000. The interior was remodeled, and it was dedicated by Bishop Domenec, December
6, 1863, under the invocation of St. Joseph. The Rev. Fathers who first attended the new congregation were Rev.
J. A. Shell and Rev. Basil Keating, who visited it monthly from Pittsburg. Rev. J. M. Mitchell, the first resident
pastor, was appointed in 1865, and celebrated Mass alternately here and at St. Rose's, Cannelton. February 2, 1866,
Rev. J. C. Bigham was appointed to succeed Father Mitchell. When he took charge there were 250 souls in the parish.
In April, 1866, five acres of ground were purchased north of town for a cemetery, the roadway, 800 feet long and
20 feet wide, being donated by the lath C. O'Rourke. The cemetery was laid out in lots 8 by r6 feet, and some of
it is reserved for free ground. In April, 1870, a lot of ground 180 feet square, where the church now stands, with
a brick residence, was bought for $8000, the old pastoral residence was sold for $3100, which sum was increased
to $6000 and paid on the new property, the balance being paid in two years. The cornerstone of the present church
was laid, November 12, 1871, by Right Rev. Bishop Domenec. The stone work was completed in 1872, and a wigwam was
erected within the walls for entertainments for the church. The basement was completed and dedicated, October 17,
1895. The old church was improved for a church hall, in which was a library of 400 volumes, and the whole was burned,
June 25, 1876. In 1887 St. Rose's Church was separated from St. Joseph's. By this time the congregation had been
increased to 1200 souls. The church was then completed, and was dedicated. in 1885. The basement was used for a
parochial school taught by lay teachers for two years, and the Sisters of St. Joseph's were employed in 1890. In
1891 Rev. J. C. Bigham was appointed pastor of St. Bridget's, Pittsburg, and was succeeded by Rev. John T. Bums,
who, after five years' pastorate, was appointed to Connellsville. He was succeeded by Rev. E. P. Brady, who remained
one year. Rev. E. P. Griffin came to the charge in 1897, and the present pastor, Rev. M. J. Ryan, in 1903.
The First Baptist Church was organized in 1869 with sixteen members. The first pastor was Rev. John Winter, who
was succeeded by the following pastors: Revs. David Williams, C. H. Johnson, T. J. Bristow, J. W. Plannett, J.
R. Strayer, W. H. McKinney, G. B. McKee, W. L. Anderson, and W. M. Ryan. The congregation erected and occupied
their first house of worship, Third Avenue near Sixth Street, in 1869, abandoning it to occupy their present handsome
building on Eighth Street and Fourth Avenue, which was erected in 1893. When the Beaver Falls Church was organized
about thirty letters were granted from this society.
Wayman Chapel, A. M. E. Church, was organized in 1870 by Rev. Cornelius Asbury, and is an offshoot of the Bridgewater
A. M. E. Church. In 1878 the old frame structure formerly occupied by the M. E. Church was purchased, thoroughly
repaired, and fitted for use. The pastors of the church have been: Revs. Cornelius Asbury, G. C. Sampson, T. A.
Thompson, John E. Russell, G. T. Prosser, J. J. Jones, Jesse Smith, R. H. Morris, W. H. Brown, A. E. Waldon, Richard
Brown, I. B. Till, Walter S. Lowry, and H. A. Grant.
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church.-In the fall of 1887 Rev. J. W. Myers, pastor of Grace Evangelical Lutheran
Church, Rochester, held services in private houses and in Autenreith's Hall, and organized a Lutheran church, which
was completed, February 29, 1888, by the adoption of a constitution and the election of John A. Houk, John Martsolf,
and Henry Ross, deacons. Sixteen persons signed the charter. Mr. Myers retired in 1888, and the church called Rev.
J. H. Delo, of Trinity Church of Beaver Falls, for part time. He retired in 189o, when the church was united with
the Church of the Redeemer, Monaca, into a missionary parish, and Rev. F. W. Kohler was appointed missionary. In
September, 1891, a lot on the corner of Tenth Avenue and Tenth Street was purchased, and in December the contract
was let for a building, valued at $5000, which was consecrated June 26, 1892. The present pastor is G. W. Critchlow.
In 1899 the debt was canceled.
The Free Methodist Church was organized October 20, 1892, by Rev. S. Wellington, with about twenty charter members.
The organization of this society was really the fruit of a meeting held by some band workers in a tent on Ninth
Avenue, near Eighth Street. After the meeting in the tent closed they held services in Grace Chapel. From there
they went to a private house near Ninth Avenue, and thence to Autenreith's Hall. In February, 1896, during the
pastorate of Rev. M. B. Miller, the old Baptist Church property on Third Avenue was purchased by the society. The
following ministers have served this society: Revs. R. H. Freshwater, M. L. Schooley, A. C. Showers, R. H. Bentley,
M. B. Miller, F. F. Shoup, A. L. Whitcomb, and W. H. Wilson.
Grace M. E. Church was organized by Rev. A. L. Petty, D.D., Presiding Elder of the Allegheny district, Pittsburg
Conference, Wednesday evening, October 16, 1895, in the Thirteenth Avenue Mission chapel, with a membership of
176. At a meeting of the congregation, April 15, 1896, a charter was adopted, and, August 26th, bylaws under this
charter were framed. The society rented the first-floor room of the Andre & Mali carriage works and fitted
it up for use, November, 1895, and bought the property in 1896. The ministers who have served the church are: Rev.
it N. Leak, Rev. J. R. Wolf, D.D., Rev. D. H. McKee, Rev. J. E. Wright, and Rev. G. M. Kelley.
The Second Baptist Church (colored) was organized May 19, 1897, with nine members, and secured quarters in Autenreith's
Hall. Rev. M. W. Weir was called as the first pastor, and was succeeded by Rev. John Jones.
Young Men's Christian Association.-This society was organized October 24, 1890. March 13, 1891, the Young Men's
Library Association turned over to the Y. M. C. A. all its property. The latter association was founded in 1850.
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union was organized December 8, 1881, and has done a good work in the town.
The Beaver Falls Colonization Society, auxiliary to the Pennsylvania Young Men's Colonization Society, was organized
in New Brighton, December 1, 1837, and officers were elected, January 15, 1838, as follows: president, Richard
Leech; vice-presidents, W. H. H. Chamberlin and Benjamin Davis; secretary, C. W. Bloss; treasurer, Harvey Blanchard;
managers, T. H. Thorniley, Rev. A. Williams, and M. B. Mason. This society led to the formation of the Beaver County
Society in 1838, with James Allison, president. The love of liberty on the part of these courageous people led
to the establishment of the "undeigiound railway," by which many a poor, hunted slave escaped safely
Among the earliest hotels in New Brighton may be mentioned the Blount House, which was built about 1848, the
building yet standing on the line of the old canal. Below it, near the keg factory, was another house kept by Mr.
Blount, and near it was the Lukens House, the building being afterwards moved and now used as a dwelling. Later
came the Park Hotel, made so popular by the Magaws, and by H. L. Stuber, and now run by Sidney Cook; and the Sourbeck
(now Kenwood) made known all along the railroad by its early proprietor, Daniel Sourbeck, and now managed by S.
E. Gallagher. The Huron House, built in 1857, opposite the passenger station, is still standing, but not in use.
In 1855 the building now owned by Dr. C. T. Gale, was built for a hotel, but has been a residence for over a third
of a century. The Clyde House was built in the eighties, and is now run by William Leckemby. The old schoolhouse,
after its abandonment for school purposes, was bought and turned into the White House, but is not now open as a
hotel. The most ambitious house of the kind was the "New Brighton House," built in 1837 by M. T. C. Gould
and others on the corner of Third Avenue and Eleventh Street, fronting 100 feet and 8 inches on Third Avenue and
621 feet on Eleventh Street, being four stories high. It was not finished, and during the silk manufacturing excitement
prevailing at that time it was used as a place in which to feed silk worms. There was also a large building near
Allegheny Street and Eighth Avenue where silkworms were fed. In the upper part of town, on the flat above Eighth
Street, were grown a large number of mulberry trees, the leaves from which were used to feed the worms. Very little,
however, was accomplished in the manufacture of silk. In 1851 the building was completed and became the "Merrick
House," one of the most popular houses in this section. It was burned about noon, October 5, 1855. The ruins
stood until 1871, when the "Opera House" block was erected, the two lower stories being owned by private
parties, and the halal in the third story by the Broadway Hall Company. It was a popular playhouse for years, but
fell into disuse as such, and was occupied as the armory of Company B, 10th Pennsylvania Regiment, for about nine
years. It was destroyed by fire, February 16, 1899. On its site the present News building and the Martsolf building
have been erected.
The National Bank of New Brighton was organized October 29, 1884; capital, $100,000; M. T. Kennedy, president;
and C. M. Merrick, cashier. It succeeded the National Bank of Beaver County, capital - $200,000, which began business
November 12, 1864, and was the first, and for years the only, national bank in Beaver County; Silas Merrick, president;
and Edward Hoopes, cashier. This bank succeeded the Bank of Beaver County, a State bank organized in 1857; Silas
Merrick, president; and Edward Hoopes, cashier; and occupied the building erected for the branch U. S. Bank, where
Dr. W. C. Simpson and Dr. John Pugh now have their offices. It was one of the few banks that did not suspend specie
payments during the Civil War. The presidents of the bank have been: Silas Merrick, John Miner, M. T. Kennedy,
John Reeves, and R. S. Kennedy. The cashiers have been Edward Hoopes, C. M. Merrick, and George Davidson.
The banking house of G. S. Barker & Company was organized in 1870 by George S. Barker, F. A. Barker, and C.
A. Barker, who established a branch at the same time in Beaver Falls. It has been absorbed by the Beaver County
Trust Company, of which Frederick G. Barker is president.
The Union National Bank was incorporated and began business, April 20, 1891, C. M. Merrick, president; E. Autenreith,
vice-president; and E. H. Seiple, cashier, with a capital of $50,000. Mr. Autenreith resigned as vice president,
and J. F. Miner was elected in his place.
The Beaver County Building and Loan Association was incorporated, March 19, 1892; capital $10,000,000; J. F. Mitchell,
president; Walter Braden, secretary; Frank E. Reader, solicitor; and E. H. Seiple, treasurer. The present secretary
is C. W. Bradshaw. This association succeeded the Beaver Valley Building and Loan Association, incorporated March
7, 1876, with J. F. Miner, president; F. S. Reader, secretary; Evan Pugh, treasurer; and Frank Wilson, solicitor.
The New Brighton Building and Loan Association was incorporated, November 17, 1887, and began business, January
3, 1888, with P. D. Hall, president; H. N. W. Hoyt, secretary; E. H. Seiple, treasurer; and W. B. Cuthbertson,
solicitor. D. C. Schofield is the present secretary. The Second New Brighton Building and Loan Association was
incorporated December 21, 1896, and began business January 4, 1897; capital, $10,000,000; with W. H. Kenah, president;
D. C. Schofield, secretary; C. E. Kennedy, treasurer; and W. B. Cuthbertson, solicitor.
The Home Protective Savings and Loan Association was organized, October, 1894; capital, $30,000,000; officers:
T. L. Kennedy, president; Samuel Hamilton, secretary; and F. G. Barker, treasurer.
New Brighton was unable to secure a post-office for many years after its importance warranted it, and was dependent
upon Fallston for its mail. The first office in the town was established in 1849, when B. B. Chamberlin was appointed
postmaster, dating from November 12, 1849. He had been in the office of Millard Fillmore, who was elected Vice
President in 1848, and through his influence the post office here was obtained. The succeeding postmasters were
Charles H. Higby, John Glass, Isaac Covert, John C. Boyle, Mrs. E. B. Cuthbertson, 1869; Walter S. Braden, 1886;
A. J. Bingham, 1890; William Wallace, 1894; D. R. Corbus, 1897; Charles M. McDanel, 1902-4.
The location of the post office has been changed several times, being from 1859 to 1883 in the brick building in
rear of the News building, later in the Walker room, between Ninth and Tenth streets, and then in the Bert room,
between Tenth and Eleventh streets. Since April 1, 1902, it has occupied the new federal building. The erection
of this building was authorized by Congress in 1899. Bids were asked for a site for the building, and that offered
by Thomas Bradford and Charles C. Townsend, on the northeast corner of Third Avenue and Tenth Street, was accepted.
It is a curious fact that for at least forty years the post office has been located within a square of the site
that the Government selected for the new building. For a short time only it was taken off Third Avenue. The new
building is a fine structure, erected at a cost of about $60,000.
March 18, 1859, Grove Cemetery was incorporated by the Legislature of Pennsylvania, and the grounds, about thirty-two
acres on Block House Run, were dedicated to the purpose of burial, on the 13th of October of the same year. A board
of managers was chosen, with William P. Townsend, president; George S. Barker, secretary; and M. Gilliland, treasurer.
A handsome soldiers' monument, in memory of the struggle of the Civil War, is one of its attractions.
NEW BRIGHTON'S PATRIOTISM
During the Civil War the town sent two companies to the front for three years, Company H, 9th Pennsylvania Reserves,
Captain, John Cuthbertson, of which 96 members were from New Brighton; and Company C, 63d Pennsylvania, Captain,
Jason R. Hanna, most of the men being from the town. In addition to these there were men in a number of other commands,
making in all nearly 30o men from this town. In 1863 Captain G. S. Barker took to the front a company of three-months
men, and another company, largely composed of New Brighton men, was sent.
In the Spanish-American War of 1898, Company B, 10th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, went from New Brighton;
58 of its members, 8 members of Company A, and Major H. C. Cuthbertson of the same regiment, being from New Brighton,
67 in all. In addition to these there were 22 men in other commands - volunteer and regular regiments - making
a total of 89 from this town, or more than four times its quota under the calls of the President.
SOCIETIES AND ORDERS
Robertson Lodge, No. 450, I. O. O. F., chartered July 18, 1851; Union Lodge, No. 259, F. and A. M., instituted
November 20, 1851; Ruth Lodge, No. I, D. of R.; Evergreen Encampment of Patriarchs, No. 151, I. O. O. F., instituted
February 16, 1867; New Brighton Lodge, No. 301, I. O. G. T., instituted April 7, 1867; Social Lodge, No. 351, K.
of P., instituted May 1, 1872; Beaver Valley Lodge, No. 81, A. O. U. W., instituted September 23, 1874; E. M. Stanton
Post, No. 208, G. A. R., organized 1881; Royal Arcanum, organized May 19, 1887; New Brighton Circle, No. 42, P.
H. C., instituted May, 1888; Knights of the Golden Eagle, organized July 8, 1889; Beaver Valley Council, No. 301,
O. U. A. M., instituted June 1, 1890; Star Council, No. 55, Jr. O. U. A. M.; Beaver Valley Camp, No. 3, Woodmen
of the World, instituted December 22, 1891; New Brighton Tent, No. 190, Knights of the Maccabees, instituted October
6, 1893; Central Labor Union of Beaver County.
New Brighton was incorporated as a borough by Act of Assembly in 1838. At the March sessions of the court in
1855 a petition, signed by J. R. Martin, burgess, and M. T. Kennedy, Joseph T. Pugh, Joseph McConnell, J. S. Winans,
Jacob E. Sharrar, Henry Hipple, and T. A. Barker, councilmen, was presented, asking that the borough be placed
under the provisions of the Act of April 3, 1851. The court granted the request, June 7, 1855.
By the United States Census of 1890 the population of New Brighton was 5616; in 1900 it was 6820.
"Grace Greenwood" (Sarah Jane Clarke), the well known Writer, was for some years a resident of New
Brighton. She lived in the house now occupied by Dr. Evelyn S. Pettit. Her brother, Albert H. Clarke, Esq., still
resides in the town.
Another eminent literary woman, Anna Dickinson, lived here for some time. She was a pupil in the school taught
by Myra Townsend.
Stephen C. Foster also resided at one time in New Brighton, and wrote here some of his early songs. He lived in
the one-story cottage house still standing on the southeast corner of Tenth Street and Seventh Avenue, then ownd
by General Milton Townsend.
Return to New Brighton History Part 1.