As elsewhere remarked, the Ohio River, after flowing almost due northwest from Pittsburg for twenty six miles,
makes a majestic sweep around to the southwest. In this great bend of the river, at the mouth of the Big Beaver
Creek, lies the borough of Rochester. A glance at the map will show that this town holds the key position in the
When the Pittsburg and Erie Division of the Pennsylvania Canal was built, Rochester was naturally its southern
terminus, and here the traffic of the Great Lakes on the north, and that of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers on
the south, found their point of contact. The shipping trade by canal and river thus gave an impetus to the growth
of the town.
The passing of the canal and the advent of the railway still left Rochester its advantage of position. From
Pittsburg to this point three lines of the Pennsylvania Company run on a magnificent four track system. These lines
are the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago, the Erie & Pittsburg, and the Cleveland & Pittsburg. At Rochester
these lines separate, the Cleveland & Pittsburg continuing down the Ohio River valley, and the other two following
the valley of the Big Beaver Creek, until they again diverge at Kenwood station. Between Pittsburg and Rochester
there run, on this division of the Pennsylvania Company's lines, in each direction six days in the week, twenty
five passenger trains, most of which stop here; and the service of the trains on the Pittsburg & Lake Erie
Railway is available at Monaca and Beaver by trolley cars running across the bridges.
Rochester was incorporated as a borough by an Act of Assembly, approved March 20, 1849; and in 1871 the town
council adopted a resolution that the borough should take advantage of the Act of Assembly, passed April 3, 1851.
This action was confirmed by the court on September 7, 1871. From that time the borough has been under the general
borough law of the State.
THE INDIAN VILLAGE
There was a village of Mingo Indians on the present site of Rochester, probably near the point where the Cleveland
& Pittsburg Railroad bridge crosses Beaver Creek. This was known in the latter part of the eighteenth century
as "Logan's Town," because the famous chief, Logan, had his lodge here at that time. The mouth of the
Big Beaver was an important rendezvous of the various Indian tribes, both in peace and war. Many Indian relics
have been found there, and bones have been dug from what were doubtless graves of the vanished red men.
Early after the opening of the northern side of the Ohio to settlement of the whites the natural advantages
of the spot began to attract attention; but for some years the principal part of the immigration went farther up
the stream to the Falls of the Beaver or to the opposite side, where the village of Sharon grew into being. Here
and there, however, an occasional settler located his cabin and clearing in the immediate vicinity of, or on, what
is now a part of Rochester borough. The earliest of these settlers is not now known, but in 1799 the Rev. Francis
Reno, who is mentioned in our chapter on the religious history of the county, an Episcopal clergyman from Washington
County, Pa., and earlier from Virginia, built a log cabin just below the spot on which the Passavant Memorial Hospital
buildings now stand. An early date is assigned, though no year can be fixed, for a log cabin which was built on
the site of the present residence of the heirs of Atlas L. Lacock; and for one at the mouth of Lacock's Run, which
was occupied by a woman named Atkinson. Near the river bank, immediately below where the National Glass Works now
stand, was the log house owned by Reese Nannah, father of Jesse Nannah, and in which Jesse was born. In the same
neighborhood stood the cabin of Jonathan Leet, son of William Leet, whose wife was Susannah Lacock. Another cabin
stood at what is now the corner of New York Street and Rochester Avenue, the home of a man named Earl Merriman,
who sold his land in 1817 to Lewis Reno. Samuel Bell, a very early settler, built a stone house on the site of
the Ovid Pinney residence, now the property of John J. Hoffman. Two other log cabins are known to have been built
at a very early period, one near the mouth of the Beaver, in which lived a ferryman named Benjamin Pounds, and
one farther up, beyond McKinley's Run, the home of a man named Wehr.
RELATION TO BOROUGH OF BEAVER
The land now embraced within the limits of the borough of Rochester was, one hundred years ago, a part of the
borough of Beaver. The Act of the Legislature erecting the borough of Beaver (March 29, 1802) gave as part of the
bounds thereof, "the line of the out lots of the reserve tract of land at the mouth of Big Beaver creek which
have already been sold." These out lots, seventy nine in number, lay on the east side of the Big Beaver. By
legislative enactment, approved January 14, 1804, all lands on the easterly side of the Big Beaver were cut off
from the borough of Beaver.
The plan of the out lots referred to shows the following lanes, some of which are now Rochester's principal
streets. East Bank Lane ran from the Big Beaver along the river bank to the eastern line of the borough of Rochester;
Island Lane, from the mouth of the creek northward along its bank; and Deer Lane, starting from the latter a little
below McKinley's Run, extended eastward to Fox Lane, now called Virginia Street. Panther Lane ran from Deer Lane
down Connecticut Street, and along Pinney Street to the eastern borough line. Tiger Lane was what is now called
INFLUENCE OF THE CANAL
Previous to the construction of the canal between New Castle and the mouth of the Big Beaver, there was little
growth of population at this place. Travel on the river passed it by, the steamboats making Stone's Point and Bridgewater
their stopping places. The growth of the village of Rochester began with the building of the canal. Freight from
the canal boats was unloaded at a landing near where Jacob Stahl's house now stands, and transferred to the steamboats
on the Ohio at a landing on Water Street. This portage was sometimes unnecessary, for with a good stage of water
in the river, the canal boats could be taken through the locks into the river direct and towed by the steamboats
to their destination. Several warehouses were built on Water Street: one near the present Shugert property by Hamilton
Clark, and one by John Dickey, both of which were removed here from Bridgewater; and one by J. A. Sholes. Clark
and Dickey also built wharf boats for receiving freight. Similar boats were built here by C. Bidwell, John. M.
Lukens, and a man named Collins. A very large freight business was done here, and a regular line of passenger packets
ran to and from New Castle and points beyond. The latter ceased soon after the railroad was built, but freight
shipments continued to be made by the canal until it was sold.
PREVIOUS NAMES OF ROCHESTER
What is now Rochester has had several different names. In the deeds of Hemphill and Hinds, and in their plans
of lots made about 1834, the name "East Bridgewater" occurs. This seems to have been applied to that
part of the place immediately opposite Bridgewater. In a deed from James A. Sholes to Titus W. Power, dated 1836,
the name "Fairport" is used. Both names were used by M. T. C. Gould in an. article published in Hazzard's
Register of Pennsylvania for 1835, and seem to designate two separate parts of the collection of houses in what
became the village of Rochester. He says: "East Bridgewater and Fairport, quite in their incipient stage,
promise soon to attain a respectable rank among their neighbors. Mr. Ovid Pinney has invested some thirty thousand
dollars in lands at the above places, and is preparing to build up a large town." Two years later the name
"Fairport" would appear to have gained acceptance for the place as a whole. The Pittsburgh Business Directory,
published by Isaac Harris in 1837, so refers to it. Another name for this place in early days was "Beaver
Point." This was frequently employed in addressing letters and other mail matter.
Rochester, the present name of the town, was probably given to it sometime between 1837 and 1840. The honor of
first giving this name to the town is assigned by Richard's History of Beaver County (page 477) to Ovid Pinney,
but belongs of right to Mitchell Hammond, who kept a grocery store on Water Street, and had this name of his own
selection put upon some goods which he had bought in Pittsburg and shipped by boat to his home.
Harris's Pittsburgh Business Directory for 1841 gives the following list of names of Rochester's business men
for that year:
Merchants - Clarke & Co., William D. Johnson, William Alexander, James Fulton and William Waring. Farmers -
S. S. Reno, John Reno, Joseph Irvin, John Davidson, Hugh McClain, James Black, William Moore, Lydia Reno, John
Fink, Thomas McNamara, David Trinels, Robert French, J. Kelley, W. Lagona, Mrs. J. Moore, George Hinds and Lewis
Reno. Physicians - F. R. Moore, A. F. Snider. Justices of the peace - Samuel Moore, Joseph Irvin. Hotel Keepers
- Jacob Jones, "U. S. Hotel," John Boles, "Canal Hotel," H. Hausman, "Fairport Hotel"
School-teachers - William McGowan and John MarshalL Boat Builders - James Porter, Robert French and John H. Whisler.
Canal Boat Captains - Capt. Woods, Thomas Campbell and John Stiles. Steamboat Pilots - William Hamilton. Francis
Reno, William Reno, Crate Reno, A. Fisher and Jesse Nannah. Boatmen - John Javens William Powers, James Murray
and J. Crane. Engineers and Surveyors - Abner P. Lacock and Atlas E. Lacock. Blacksmiths - J. Jackson, R. Jackson,
J. Cooster. Shoemakers - A. Fowler, Mr. Smith. Carpenters - H. Jackson, S. Powell, S. Keys, J. Hart, J. Instead
and Milo Moore. Chair Makers - Jemuel Woodruff, J. Thompson, J. McCrum and J. B. Hill. Gardeners - W. McIntire
and Abraham Hall. Boarding House - John O'Connor. Teamsters - John Wasson, John Inglis, Lawrence Marquis. Laborers
- D. Cable, R. Jackson, J. McKeever and J. Parrish. Miscellaneous - A. Smith, tailor; John M. Lukens, clerk; John
Webster, lock keeper canal; Mr. Bailey, miller; C. Geer, lumberman; Ed. Gillespie, cooper; W. Leaf, stone mason;
Horatio N. Frazier, gentleman; J. B. Shurtleff, editor Beaver Patriot; Samuel Barnes, firebrick maker.
MARCUS T. C. GOULD
Among the early citizens of Rochester none was more prominent, or did more to advance the business interests
of the place than Marcus T. C. Gould. His name and influence were connected with the most important enterprises
in the county, and especially in this immediate vicinity. Some of these enterprises are mentioned later in this
chapter. He was a man of large ideas and of boundless enthusiasm. Believing confidently in the future greatness
of this region he conceived the plan of a city which should extend from the mouth of the Beaver to the Falls of
that stream, and labored untiringly to interest capitalists in the towns throughout the valley. For Rochester especially
Mr. Gould sought to devise liberal things. He came here shortly after the town was incorporated, to look after
the sale of the large land holdings acquired in this place by Ovid Pinney. A map was made, called "A Map of
the Borough of Rochester," which was a copy of several maps belonging to individuals who had plotted small
parcels of land. This map was made, December 31, 1851, and has since been known as "Pinney's Plan of Lots
in the Borough of Rochester." Two years later Mr. Gould induced Hiram Walbridge of Philadelphia, and John
Thompson of Rhode Island, to invest a large sum of money in these lands. The deed by which the purchase was conveyed
is dated October 10, 1853. Four hundred and six town lots, as laid out on the "Pinney Map," together
with certain other pieces of land in the borough and vicinity, were conveyed in consideration of $43,706.
Mr. Gould's large conception of the future Rochester or "Beaver City" was expressed in a map which he
constructed, showing the town of Rochester and a hundred miles around it, with "commentaries" thereon
addressed to the Pittsburg Board of Trade, calling attention to the advantages of the site and its surroundings.
The present prosperity of the Beaver valley, and its hopeful industrial and commercial outlook, prove the farsightedness
of this active mind. Mr. Gould was the originator of a system of stenography which was long in use, and also the
inventor of the first fountain pen. He died November 19, 1860.
One of the early enterprises in which, as we have said, Mr. Gould was a leading spirit was the Rochester Manufacturing
Company. which was organized, August 27, 1854, for the manufacture of iron from ore, the casting of car wheels,
and the making of various other kinds of machinery, even to locomotives. A large stone building was erected where
the Speyerer Hotel now stands, but it seems that this company never actually engaged in the business of manufacturing.
The structure was, however, later used for the manufacture of barrels by Rhodes, Kennedy & Company, and afterwards
by Rhodes & Kirk in making cars for the railroad. The Rochester Manufacturing Company passed out of existence
in 1865, when its property was sold to James I. Bennett for the sum of $16,500.
The Pendleton Brothers, a firm composed of Captain Gilbert and Joseph Pendleton, established one of the earliest
industries of Rochester, an important firebrick works, started in 1856. Captain Daniel Fitch and Mr. John Stahl
later became connected with the firm.
Anderson's Foundry was established in 1861 by Jacob Jones Anderson in the old octagonal shaped building, which
stood until a few years ago at the foot of New York Street. This plant was operated successfully for several years.
The Rochester Tumbler Company, which for twenty seven years owned and operated the principal industry of Rochester,
and one of the most important tumbler works in the world, was organized in the spring of 1872. Five acres of the
Lacock property, in Rochester township, just outside of the borough limits, were purchased. The stockholders were
Jesse H. Lippincott, Henry C. Fry, Samuel Moulds, William Moulds, Samuel M. Kane, Richard Welsh, Thomas Can, William
Can, Robert Carr, and John Can. The first officers elected were as follows: Henry C. Fry, president; Jesse H. Lippincott,
secretary and treasurer; and Samuel M. Kane, manager.
The shares of stock were originally five hundred dollars, but they ultimately appreciated greatly. The company
commenced the manufacture of glass with one ten pot furnace and with ninety employees, making tumblers a specialty.
The capacity was then 1200 dozen per week. During the final year of its existence it operated seven furnaces
with ninety pots, gave employment to 1100 people, and had a capacity of 75,000 dozen per week, or 150,000 tumblers
per day. These seven large furnaces were kept in operation constantly, and some idea of their capacity may be had
from the fact that each week they consumed about one hundred tons of white sand alone, not to mention the several
other ingredients, of which large quantities were used in the manufacture of pressed and blown tumblers and goblets,
both of crystal and finest lead glass. The buildings of the Rochester Tumbler Company covered seven of the ten
acres of ground belonging to the company, lying between the P., Ft. W. & C. RR. tracks and the Ohio River.
The plant was operated night and day, was lighted throughout with electricity furnished by the company's own motors,
and consumed daily 2,000,000 cubic feet of natural gas, which was brought from the concern's own wells through
fifty miles of natural gas mains. The products of this concern were sold throughout the civilized world, and compared
favorably with the finest wares of France and Belgium.
On the morning of February 12. Igor, the larger part of this great plant was destroyed by fire, and the people
were dismayed at its loss, but the enterprise of the citizens and of the owners was sufficient to meet the situation.
The National Glass Company, which is spoken of a little below, and which in 1899 had taken control of the plant,
at once took steps to rebuild in even greater dimensions: and H. C. Fry, its former president, organized a new
H. C. Fry Glass Company, a corporation organized with $400,000 capital, under the manufacturing laws of Pennsylvania,
commenced business in 1902 with a new and up to date glass works at North Rochester. H. C. Fry is president; and
John N. Taylor, of the great pottery concern of Knowles, Taylor & Knowles, East Liverpool, Ohio, vice president.
This plant manufactures high grade blown tumblers and fine cut table glassware, on a new improved patented process.
It is considered the finest and best equipped glass factory in the United States, and is manufacturing perhaps
as fine goods as were ever before produced in this or any other country. It has over 500 employees to start with,
and bids fair to become a very important factor in Beaver County's many manufacturing enterprises.
The Business Men's Association of Rochester, which was organized March 30, 1901, with H. H. Newkirk as president;
Garrett T. Bentel, secretary; and Geo. H. Cross, treasurer, and whose object is to secure the mutual benefit of
business men by promoting their interests, securing their co-operation and advancing the welfare of the town, nobly
stood by Mr. Fry, giving him indispensable assistance in his great enterprise. The only suitable location for a
plant of this kind being on a terrace, high above the great railway system and the river, a railway to this point
was necessary, involving an expenditure of many thousands of dollars, and the overcoming of great engineering difficulties.
The Association appointed a committee, known as the "Switch Committee." This committee consisted of Frank
Feyler, Curtis C. Noss, James T. Conlin, S. A. Engle, and Joseph I. Reno; Mr. Feyler, chairman. The committee procured
a large number of the citizens as security for the money needed for the railway, which was soon built and opened
with a celebration at North Rochester, on the 28th of June, 1902.
William Miller & Sons. - William Miller, contractor and builder, came to Rochester in 1855, and in 1869 established,
with A. S. Dobson and Jacob Trax, the firm of Miller, Dobson & Trax. In 1872 the firm became Miller & Trax,
and in 1875 it was succeeded by William Miller. In 1884 the firm of Wm. Miller & Sons succeeded William Miller;
and, November 6, 1898, William Miller retired, the firm name remaining Win. Miller & Sons. This firm is composed
of the brothers John A., George W., Charles M., and Henry J. Miller; Charles M. and George W. Miller being in the
Pittsburg office, and John A. and Henry J. Miller in Rochester.
The plant and lumber yard of Wm. Miller & Sons, located between the railroad and river, covers about six acres,
and they employ from forty to seventy five men. They handle all kinds of lumber, their specialty being hardwood
interiors, bank and office fixtures, etc. They also do a general contracting business, from their Pittsburg office,
located in the Frick Building.
The following are a few of the more prominent buildings they have erected: the Montgomery County court house at
Norristown, Pa.; Washington County court house and jail, Washington, Pa.; York County court house, York, Pa.; the
Arrott Office Building in Pittsburg; the Pittsburg Bank for Savings; and the new Union Station of the Pennsylvania
Railroad at Pittsburg.
Keystone Pottery Company. - This firm, which was composed of Wm. Miller & Sons, was incorporated in 1890. John
Gripp of Pittsburg, deceased, was a member of the firm at its organization. June 26, 1895, the plant was destroyed
by fire. The site of the pottery was taken possession of by Wm. Miller & Sons, with H. V. Barteaux, who then
formed the Miller Brick Company.
The Miller Brick Company. - This company was incorporated in 1900 for the manufacture of face and paving brick.
The officers of the company are Wm. Miller, Sr., president; Wm. L. Miller, secretary and manager; and John A. Miller,
Rochester Point Bottle Works was first called the Rochester Flint Vial and Bottle Works, and was organized in the
fall of 1879. Its directors were David McDonald, Sr., David McDonald, Jr., Wm. Anderson, Wm. Miller, Sr., Michael
Camp, P. McLaughlin, Irvin McDonald, and John Taylor. David McDonald, Sr., was president; David McDonald, Jr.,
secretary and treasurer; and Wm. Anderson, manager. This company erected a plant which now forms the main portion
of the building occupied by the Point Bottle Works Company. In 1882 the company was reorganized, and given the
name of the Point Bottle Works Company. The directors of the new company were: P. McLaughlin, John Scheiss, Wm.
McCague, J. C. Irvin, John Flint, James R. Dougherty, Henry Heuring, Thos. Joyce, Sr., P. McLaughlin was its president;
John Scheiss, secretary; J. C. Irvin its first treasurer; and Wm. McCague its second. The factory was operated
under this management until 1887, when it was again reorganized, the following being the directors: Henry Heuring,
P. J. Huth, James R. Dougherty, Lewis Hollander, John Flint, Reinhart Radtke, and Wm. O'Leary. Henry Hewing was
elected president; P. J. Huth, secretary and treasurer. This management continued without a change until 1898,
when C. A. Dambacher was elected president, and Henry Heuring, superintendent. The factory is located at the junction
of the Beaver and Ohio rivers, and at the junction of the C. & P. and Fort Wayne railroads. The works cover
about one acre of ground. The present management has greatly increased the capacity of the plant, and recently
erected a two story packing room 64x128 feet, and a warehouse 32x80 feet.
When first started the goods manufactured were flasks and fruit jars, but now a general line of prescription and
liquor bottles are made. The plant has a capacity of zoo gross of bottles per day. It gives employment to 135 hands,
with a yearly pay roll of about $50,000.
Keystone Tumbler Company. - The Keystone Tumbler Company was organized in February, 1897. Its officers were: John
Conway, president; George A. Malone, secretary; August Heller, treasurer; Chas. Runyon, general manager. Its directors
were: John Conway, August Heller, John Moulds, James T. Conlin, and Charles Bentel. The capital stock was $75,800.
The factory began operation August 23, 1897. The plant occupies a building, 300 x 310 feet, besides a boiler house
and other out buildings. Thirty five pots is the working equipment of the plant, and 36o people are employed. November
1, 1899, this property was taken over by the National Glass Company.
The National Glass Company was organized November 1, 1899, with an issued capital of $2,325,000 stock and $2,000,000
of bonds, and on that date took over the following properties:
Beatty-Brady Glass Co., Dunkirk, Ind.; Canton Glass Co., Marion, Ind.; Central Glass Co., Summitville, Ind.; Crystal
Glass Co., Bridgeport, Ohio; Cumberland Glass Co., Cumberland, Md.; Dalzell. Gilmore & Leighton Co., Findlay,
Ohio; Fairmont Glass Co., Fairmont, W. Va.; Greensburg Glass Co., Greensburg. Pa.: Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Co.,
Greentown, Ind.; Keystone Glass Co., Rochester, Pa.; Model Flint Glass Co., Albany, Ind.; McKee & Bros. Glass
Co., Jeannette, Pa.; Northwood Glass Co., Indiana, Pa; Ohio Flint Glass Co., Lancaster, Ohio; Riverside Glass Co.,
Wellsburg, W. Va.; Robinson Glass Co., Zanesville, Ohio; Rochester Tumbler Co., Rochester, Pa.; Royal Glass Co.,
Marietta, Ohio; West Va. Glass Co., Martins Ferry, Ohio.
The company since that time has met with disastrous fires at Rochester, Pa., and at Greensburg, Pa.
They have rebuilt the portion of the Rochester Tumbler Works that was burned at an expenditure of over $300,000,
and have also built a large works at Cambridge, Ohio.
The company at this time is employing about 7000 people. At the consolidated Rochester-Keystone plant at Rochester,
Pa., the company has 1300 people on their payroll.
It is expected that the Rochester-Keystone plant will produce $1,500,000 worth of goods during the current year
(1903). Their payroll will run about $50,000 per month. The directors and officers of the company are as follows:
A. W. Herron, president; Addison Thompson, secretary; A. L. Strasburger, treasurer; who, with George I. Whitney,
Frank L. Stephenson, and L. B. Martin, compose the board of directors.
From July 1, 1903, Charles Runyon was superintendent and general manager of the Rochester plant.
Beaver Valley Glass Manufacturing Company, popularly known as the "Dinkey" Glass Works, was established
in 1882 by Alex. Pfiffner, John McManus, and Floris Thomas. The ownership passed to Messrs. Irvin & McLaughlin,
who, in 1885, leased the plant to Mr. John D. Carter, and the firm name became the John D. Carter Glass Works,
not Limited. The product was flasks, brandy bottles, and prescription vials, and the business was actively conducted
until July, 1890, when the plant was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt.
The Beaver Falls Cutlery Company first started on a small scale in Rochester, on the premises on the Brighton Road
or Delaware Avenue, afterwards occupied by the "Dinkey" Glass Works, but was soon removed to Beaver Falls,
where it became a great concern.
Bonbrights' Starch Factory. - About 1844 John and William Bonbright came to Rochester and started a starch factory
on the site more recently occupied by the above mentioned works. They manufactured three grades of starch. The
Bonbrights were brothers of Mrs. Dr. A. T. Shallenberger. John was a merchant, and built the house now owned and
occupied by John Conway as a bank and dwelling. William Bonbright built the house in which Marcus T. C. Gould afterwards
lived, which stands on the bluff just above the Point Glass Works, and is now occupied by William Graham.
The Rochester Planing Mill Company, formerly known as the Rochester Planing Mill, George E. Woodruff, proprietor,
was chartered December 4, 1902, with a capital of $60,000, and with the following officers and directors: Orin
H. Mathews, president; George E. Woodruff, secretary and treasurer; directors - B. E. Surls, R. E. Talon, and H.
D. Jackson. Jemuel Woodruff, the father of George E. Woodruff of this firm, came to this vicinity in 1832, and
was at first engaged in the clock business. He later built a cabinet shop and manufactured furniture. In 1858 a
planing mill was built by Monroe Miller, Wheelen Dolby, and Charles Lukens, in which Mr. Woodruff was employed.
In 1875 or 1876 he bought this mill for himself, and until his death in January, 1899, continued the business.
At the time of his death, when he was about ninety five years of age, Mr. Woodruff was the oldest Freemason in
the United States, having become a member of the order in 1825. For some years previous to his death, his son George
was associated with him in the business of the mill, and was afterwards its sole proprietor until the present firm
was established. This firm employs about thirty men and does a large business.
The Rochester Cut Glass Company. - The Rochester Cut Glass Company was organized in the fall of 1896, with Jno.
M. Pfeiffer, president; F. L. Williams, secretary; and C. B. Conway, treasurer. They are manufacturers of rich
cut tumblers, fingerbowls, sherbets, stemware, water bottles, and cut bar bottles. Forty skilled workmen are given
employment by this concern, and the annual production is of about $50,000 value. The present officers of the company
are: president, Jno. Moulds; vice president, F. L. Williams; secretary and treasurer, John M. Pfeiffer; and manager,
Robt. E. Johnston.
The Olive Stove Works were originally established by Captain Daniel Fitch and the Herrington Brothers in 1872.
In September, 1879, they sold these works to the present company, and on September 1, 1879, "The Olive Stove
Works, Limited," was incorporated and a board of seven managers were elected. John Conway was made president;
and John R. Eakin, secretary and treasurer. The works were then located at the river, on the east corner of New
York and River streets. In 1882 it was decided to enlarge the works, and the present site was purchased and suitable
buildings were erected thereon. March 3, 1903, this plant was destroyed by a fire, caused by a gas explosion, but
was immediately rebuilt. In 1899 a new charter was obtained, and the Olive Stove Works was made a corporation.
The present officers are: John R. Eakin, president; Joseph M. Eakin, secretary and treasurer; S. G. Woods, superintendent;
John W. Dowell, traveling salesman.
The production is confined to manufacturing cooking and heating stoves and ranges and general castings.
The Rochester Roller Flouring Mills, G. Henry Karcher and Jno. A. Karcher, proprietors, are located on Railroad
Street, opposite the Fort Wayne freight depot. The firm was organized in 1882, under the title of Karcher Brothers,
who erected a flouring mill on the location on which the present mill stands, which was burned in December of 1890,
together with several other buildings located in that part of the town. They rebuilt during the summer of 1891.
The present mill is four stories high, 50x85 feet in size, and is built of brick. Its capacity is 125 barrels of
flour daily. It is equipped with the latest improvements in the way of rolls, bolting reels, and wheat cleaning
machinery. It also contains a corn meal system, which is the latest improved process for bolting and purifying
corn meal, also roller machinery for making all kinds of chop, corn, oats, and rye feed. The power for the mill
is supplied by a 75 horse-power tubular boiler and 65 horse-power automatic engine. They also have their own electric
plant, which furnishes the lighting for the mill, and a large building 50x50 feet square, two stories high, which
is a warehouse for flour and hay and a stable combined.
The Rochester Clay Pot Company was organized January 25, 1902, and chartered April 14, 1902. It manufactures glasshouse
pots of every description. The present officers are Dr. J. C. McClaren of Pittsburg, president; George A. Rahe
of Pittsburg, vice president; and Edward Willetts of Rochester, secretary and treasurer.
The Beaver Valley Pot Company was organized, May 26, 1902, with the following officers: Samuel Young, president;
J. Howard Fry, secretary; Leonard Albrecht, treasurer. The company was formed for the purpose of manufacturing
glass melting pots, tank blocks, bench clay and furnace blocks of all kinds for glass factories. The plant has
a capacity of 900 pots annually, besides the other supplies. The present officers of the company are: Edward Kaye,
president; Edward T. Davis, treasurer; Walter R. Irvin, secretary; Samuel Young, manager; directors: Edward Kaye,
E. T. Davis, W. H. Surls, M. S. Marquis, and H. C. Fry.
[Continued in Rochester Borough History Part 2]
[Also see Rochester Township History]