Boroughs of Chester County, Pa.
From: History of Chester County, Pennsylvania
By: Charles William Heathcore, A. M., Ph. D.
Department of Social Studies, State Normal School
West Chester, PA 1926

Search Historical Newspaper Collections

Boroughs. - The following boroughs are found within the boundaries of the county.

West Chester. - Located in the eastern part of the county, it was incorporated in 1799; the present population is 13,409, is the county seat of Chester County and was originally called "Turk's Head." There are fifteen churches representing various denominations. There is an excellent public school system, one of the best in the state. The Friends maintain well organized schools. There is also a fine parochial school system organized from the grades to the high school inclusive. One of the best State Normal Schools in the United States is located here, having a student body of twelve hundred. Its important industries are, automobile wheels, tags, nurseries, mushroom canneries, air compressors and cream separators. It is served by two branches of the Pennsylvania Railroad and several bus and trolley lines. Its beautiful homes and shaded streets make West Chester a delightful town.

Oxford. - Located in the southwestern part of the county, was incorporated in 1833, and the present population is 2,400. There are nine churches, and a good public school system. The important industries are,auger works, printing plants, creamery, sash and door factory and mushroom plants. It is served by the Octoraro branch, Maryland division, Pennsylvania railroad system.

Phoenixville. - Located three and one half miles from Valley Forge, on the Schuylkill River, which is the boundary line between Chester and Montgomery counties, was incorporated 1849, and present population is 11,645. There are a large number of Protestant, Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic churches. There are several public schools efficiently organized. Two parochial schools are well directed. The important industries are, - iron, bridge, boiler, and foundry companies; silk and knitting mills; paint and chemical works; planing mills and box factory; brick works, and packing company. It is served by the main line of the Philadelphia and Reading, Schuylkill Division of Pennsylvania Railroad, with Frazer and Pickering Valley Branches.

Kennett Square. - Located slightly to the southwest of West Chester and directly north of the Delaware Curve, was incorporated in 1855, and present population is 2,500. There are five churches representing various denominational interests. There is an efficiently organized public school system. There is one parochial school which is well directed. The important industries are foundry, machine interests, mushroom growing and many other important industrial activities. It is served by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Downingtown. - Located slightly to the northwest of West Chester, was incorporated in 1859, and the present population is 4,765. There are eight churches representing various denominations. There are several public school buildings and one Friend's school representing a good school system. The important industries are, - iron works, paper mills and box factory, woolen mills, feed mills and chair seat factory. It is served by the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads.

Coatesville. - Located west of Downingtown, was incorporated in 1867, and present population is 15,000. There are twenty churches representing various denominations. There is an up to date and complete public school system. Three parochial schools are well organized. There are two big steel plants and a dozen smaller industries. It is served by Pennsylvania and Reading Railway Companies. There are two trolley lines operating east and west, and bus lines operating north, south and west.

Spring City. - Located on the Schuylkill River north of Phoenixville, was incorporated in 1867, and the present population is 1,500. There are five churches representing various denominations. There are several public school buildings representing a well organized educational system. The important industries are,- textile, stove works, brick factory, card board factory. It is served by the Pennsylvania system. and the people also have access to the Philadelphia and Reading by going to Royersford, a town across the Schuylkill River.

Parkesburg. - Located west of Coatesville, was incorporated in 1872 and the present population is 3,200. There are five churches and a good public school system. Among the important industries are iron and boiler tube works, chemical plant, and several other factories. It is on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Atglen. - Located near the extreme western border of the county, was incorporated in 1875, and present population is 675. There are three churches and a good public school system. It is in the midst of a thriving and prosperous community. It is on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Malvern. - Located slightly to the northeast of West Chester, was incorporated, 1889, and the present population is 1,400. There are four churches ands a good public school system. The important industries are platinum works and farm supplies. It is on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Honey Brook - Located in the northwestern corner of the county, was incorporated 1892, and present population is 800. There are two churches and a good public school system. The important industries are pottery and printing. It is served by a branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad system.

West Grove. - Located west of Avondale, was incorporated in 1893, and present population is 1,400. There are seven churches. There is a good public school system and one well directed parochial school. The important industries are nurseries, mushroom growing, millwork and lumber companies. It is served by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Avondale. - Located west of Kennett Square, was incorporated 1894, and present population is 800. There are four churches and a good public school system. It is an important mushroom and dairy center. It is served by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Elverson. - Located northeast of Honey Brook, was incorporated 1911, and present population is 320. There are two churches and a capable public school system. It is a busy community composed of folks 'who are interested in farming, railroading and other activities. It is served by the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.

Modena. - Located south of Coatesville, was incorporated 1921, and present population is 700. There is one church and a good public school system. The important industries are paper mills and scrap yards. It is served by the Philadelphia and Reading system.

South Coatesville. - Located south of Coatesville, was incorporated in 1921, and present population is 1,600. There are three churches and a good public school system. The important industries are iron and steel.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy