History of Borough of Chester Hill, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago

Search Historical Newspaper Collections



BOROUGH OF CHESTER HILL

The Borough of Chester Hill is situated in Decatur township, on the western bank of the Moshannon Creek, which stream is one of the boundaries between the counties of Clearfield and Centre. The town was laid out by the late Jacob F. Steiner, who located there in 1849 and engaged in the lumber business. The borough was incorporated in the year 1883. Although Chester Hill is in Clearfield county, it is practically a part of the borough of Philipsburg in Centre county, Pa., and many of its citizens are engaged in business in that town.

The principal industry upon which the town is dependent, is the Fire Brick Works of the Harbison-Walker Refractories Company, which gives employment to a large number of men. There are also several coal operations in the neighborhood.

The borough is on the line of the Altoona & Philipsburg Connecting Railroad and it is also reached by the Tyrone Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Steiner's Station and by the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, which latter company has a branch line from Munson to Chester Hill, but calls its station Philipsburg.

The borough has two churches, water and electric lights, good schools, a number of business places and the present population is about five hundred.

Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter